closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quick Decision to be made - Which 2 from 3 Rolex Sports Watches?

Quick Decision to be made - Which 2 from 3 Rolex Sports Watches?

So I get the call today from an AD to say that they have a Submariner Hulk coming in tomorrow and I'm top of the list hurrah!

'Unfortunately' I was lucky enough to get my hands on a lovely Submariner 16610LV (Kermit) earlier this summer and really enjoying having one of these again after buying and then selling my first one 10 years ago. Only down side its not the full package and is missing its warranty card/papers.

Next week I also have a really nice condition 15 year old GMT Master 16710 arriving after a long chase which has been acquired at a really good price. Again no papers but have box and booklets etc.

Politically (wife) and financially there is no way I can keep all three and of course each one would be readily salable. But which way? I really like both 'green' watches but understand why the TZ community appears to be split on it.

So which is the best combo of watches?

1. Kermit & GMT - Two classics and two different 'complications' so so no to the AD?
    2. Hulk and GMT - One modern ceramic and one classic s/s sports watch and two different 'complications' and colour schemes.
    3. Kermit and Hulk - Again one modern and one classic but is it too much green?
    4. Buy the Hulk then sell all three and buy current buy 'grail watch' - The 40mm Everose Yachmaster? Bonkers but just about feasible

I almost feel compelled to say yes to the brand new Hulk as they hard to come by at list price and with the likes of Watchfinder charging over £7,000 for a 2016 model seems like super safe purchase.

Of course this is my decision and its really personal but still curious what direction other TZ'ers might go.

Cheers.

Chris

Craftsman
    Wow. Lucky you. I think I would go 4. Bonkers, but I like it. Unless you use the Gmt function. I prefer clean dials and a bit of swaggery shimmer 😀

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I absolutely adore the Hulk BTW. On the waiting list at my AD too. Be sure to post some pictures to keep my lust focused!

Last edited by jeepie; 6th October 2016 at 19:28.

Blog Entries
    Keep the classics is my view.

I find me leaning more and more to the older models especially where the values seem to be heading. A fifteen yo 16710 will be fantastic. I have a '98 T dial and struggle to take it off.

I really liked the LV but I first saw one in the flesh it somewhat disappointed me.

Which ever way you go you will be on a winner.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Hulk and GMT for me. A great mix.

Please excuse the nicknames but I cant renember the model numbers

Personally I prefer the Hulk to the Kermit but I would expect the Kermit to be more collectable in the future, how much is the RRP on the Hulk?

Craftsman
    LV and GMT would be my choice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Please excuse the nicknames but I cant renember the model numbers

Personally I prefer the Hulk to the Kermit but I would expect the Kermit to be more collectable in the future, how much is the RRP on the Hulk?
    6500 IIRC (not that anyone seems to be selling one for that 😁)

Craftsman
    Hulk and GMT seems the perfect mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    6500 IIRC (not that anyone seems to be selling one for that )

It's £6,050 list for a Hulk at the moment.

It's got to be the Hulk, I'd love one but haven't had much joy with my WTB

Quick Decision to be made - Which 2 from 3 Rolex Sports Watches?

6500 IIRC (not that anyone seems to be selling one for that )

£6050 at the moment isn't it. £350 more than the LN; the same increase as the BLNR over the LN GMT.

I'd keep the older ones and see what watchfinder will give you for the hulk before deciding whether to buy it or not.

You may find that they'll give you over rrp, especially if you part ex it for the yachtmaster.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 6th October 2016 at 19:42.

If the Yachmaster is really your 'grail' or must have, then it has to be Option 4, I would say.

With the Yachmaster out of the equation I would go Option 1 all day long.

Craftsman
    I would keep the Kermit & GMT.

Journeyman

Hulk and GMT

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    £6050 at the moment isn't it. £350 more than the LN; the same increase as the BLNR over the LN GMT.

I'd keep the older ones and see what watchfinder will give you for the hulk before deciding whether to buy it or not.

You may find that they'll give you over rrp, especially if you part ex it for the yachtmaster.
    Possibly Dave... I usually check on iconicwatches.co.uk but they don't list the Hulk anymore... That's the ball park anyways 😀

Craftsman
    Nice watches there, but Id go Hulk & GMT

Or hide the Hulk and hope she doesn't notice ???

Another one who's not keen on the LV- Kermit. Wanted one but after trying one just didn't do it for me. Love the hulk though.
    The GMT would've my choice with the LVc

Craftsman
    Bigfish has a wtb for a hulk, if you decide to pass on it.

So do I :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

That's a nice Idea in respect of Watchfinder and the part ex. Might try that.

Instinctively I feel the Hulk and GMT are best overall combo but I know I'll regret letting go of the more understated 50th Anniversary Lv.

Otherwise a real intersting mix of responses as expected and at least one TZ has PM'd me wanting to buy the Hulk, which I almost expected! 
    Last edited by smokey99; 1st December 2016 at 13:48.

Possibly Dave... I usually check on iconicwatches.co.uk but they don't list the Hulk anymore... That's the ball park anyways 

See post #10 mate

The price is on the Rolex website.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    That's a nice Idea in respect of Watchfinder and the part ex. Might try that.

Instinctively I feel the Hulk and Gatwick the best overall combo but I know I'll regret letting go of the more understated 50th Anniversary Lv.

Otherwise a real intersting mix of responses as expected and at least one TZ has PM'd me wanting to buy the Hulk, which I almost expected! 
    Nah, sell the LV ;)

Craftsman
    It's obviously a personal thing, but I'm drawn to the older Rolex's, so I'd keep the two 5 digit references, Kermit and GMT. I like the understated design of the Kermit, whereas I find the Hulk can appear a bit garish. Just my 2 cents....

Craftsman
    I don't care what two you keep! Just sell me the third.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    Bigfish has a wtb for a hulk, if you decide to pass on it.
    If you weren't going to buy the hulk then you could buy it and offer it to a member at rrp plus any postage costs.
    Im assuming forum members aren't allowed to cash in off other members by selling above rrp
    It would be like selling a concert ticket or football ticket to a fellow fan for a profit.
    I personally thought the Hulk frenzy would have waned but thats why I aint a watch dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If you weren't going to buy the hulk then you could buy it and offer it to a member at rrp plus any postage costs.
    Im assuming forum members aren't allowed to cash in off other members by selling above rrp
    It would be like selling a concert ticket or football ticket to a fellow fan for a profit.
    I personally thought the Hulk frenzy would have waned but thats why I aint a watch dealer.
    Yes, that's another option and of course I wouldn't be looking to make a profit if I were in a position to sell on soon after acquiring.

Master
    GMT all day long and then whatever you fancy I am not a Kermit fan.

Master
    I'd go for the Kermit and the GMT. My own 16710 is almost never off my wrist, 9 months on; I've just ordered a Persi bezel insert to give me the chance for a change - it's a very versatile watch. I'd like the maxi hands and better lume that the other two watches offer, and the ability to mix it up by changing a green insert for a black one; but the all green Hulk is just too...well, green for me. So of the two I'd take the slightly more restrained kermit.

Craftsman
    Hulk and GMT II. That makes new and 5 digit, different colours and different functions. I was never a big fan of the Kermit, although it would probably jump more in price than the GMT II. GMTs were available everywhere in the 2000s, while Kermit was very tough to get.

Banned
    #4 is the correct option.

Craftsman
    Well if selling all three to fund a grail is an option then money obviously isn't the problem (politically!) so I would either do that or keep all three in such a way that she doesn't know about it! Simples.

Master
    Old and new is a nice mix but old and old would be my choice so 2.
    Personally I decided whilst the LV is lovely in its own right, green just clashes too much with my wardrobe contents!

Master
    Kermit and GMT.

The Hulk is not that hard to find again if you want it even at list. Its nowhere near as hard as say a BLNR.

The Kermit values are rising, i would def keep that.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Old and new is a nice mix but old and old would be my choice so 2.
    Personally I decided whilst the LV is lovely in its own right, green just clashes too much with my wardrobe contents!
    Is your wardrobe all red?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Is your wardrobe all red?
    Lots of blue and I'm not a queen. Despite the rumours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hulk and GMT would be my choice. It just depends on your main reasons for keeping. If resale is a big factor then Kermit would be in the mix.

kermit and gmt would be my choice timeless classics i believe

Journeyman
    If the grail is an option then surely you have to go for it

Quote Originally Posted by minsted View Post
    If the grail is an option then surely you have to go for it
    Mathematically it works but having that much money tied up in one watch, whilst very special, would make me feel uncomfortable. But it would make the decision of what to wear in the mornings much easier 😁

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sell them all and get the grail. surely that's the point?

Dibs GMT :P

Craftsman
    Hulk and GMT would be my preference - Two different dial colours and two different complications make it the most versatile combination.

Hell, sell them all and get the rose gold Yachtmaster, if you dont like it sell it on, dont think you would lose any money at all, maybe even make a profit?

Are the rose gold yacht masters in short supply as well?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Kermit and GMT.

The Hulk is not that hard to find again if you want it even at list. Its nowhere near as hard as say a BLNR.

The Kermit values are rising, i would def keep that.
    This. LV's are just going north. As are GMT's.

"Hulks" are still modern mainstream.

GMT only, the other 2 are bloody awful!

Find a way to have all three. Get a black insert for the LV and you have more options too.

I'd have the older watches personally (and I have them) but I do like my Hulk - although a toss up between that and the DSSD has seen the DSSD win for this weeks Stag weekend :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    GMT only, the other 2 are bloody awful!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Sell them all and get the grail watch. The Everose YM is a lovely thing having tried it on recently.

So no great surprise from all the responses. Some prefer th classic LV, some prefer the Hulk and others are saying 'stuff it' and go for option 4 and the mix of responses has been pretty even.

Well......I'm still not 100% sure but, I'm pretty sure it will at least start with securing the Hulk and then take it from there. I can then walk around the house with the stickers intact and wearing a variety of different coloured outfits and see if we bond. 

If not it can be flipped (or is that gently redirected?) here on SC and I can then redirect the funds towards my diminishing savings account.

Or I can buy the 40mm Everose and pretend to live the life of a Italian playboy yacht owner on Instagram 
    Last edited by smokey99; 7th October 2016 at 23:31. Reason: Unintentional post