closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's the cheapest / most crap watch in your collection?

What's the cheapest / most crap watch in your collection?

Mine is probably a broken casio or an 'animal' surf watch
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman
    Nothing now. I had a couple that I would put into that category but I gave them away rather than have them cluttering up the place. One was to a work colleague who loves it and wears it everyday. So a nice result I think.

Grand Master
    Black dice led, oddly good quality for the price
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Most annoying would be a Omega 601, purchased on eBay about 15yrs ago as needing a service, which was missing major parts of the movement. Seller proclaimed that a service also involved replacing parts so his description was accurate, then he vanished off eBay. Finally sourced donor movement but never got around to getting the movement transplanted so it's all still in a plastic box in my draw...

Quote Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
    Most annoying would be a Omega 601, purchased on eBay about 15yrs ago as needing a service, which was missing major parts of the movement. Seller proclaimed that a service also involved replacing parts so his description was accurate, then he vanished off eBay. Finally sourced donor movement but never got around to getting the movement transplanted so it's all still in a plastic box in my draw...
    If you want me to have a look at getting that up and running for you PM me.

Now back to the thread,
    I sometimes buy boxes of knackered junk to play with and often end up with interesting bits even if they have no real value.
    Got this worn out old Ultramar in a shoe box lot

It turned out to have quite a nice movement

So I re cased it into a steel case that I had left over from one with a duff movement
    Last edited by animalone; 26th November 2016 at 10:13.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Mine is probably a broken casio or an 'animal' surf watch
    I have a couple of rubbish children's watches that I bought as part of a job lot to get something slightly more interesting (whose identity I cannot now recall!). Since then I've had these pieces of rubbish in my collection but I can't throw them away and I can't sell them. I suppose they could be useful for practising on.

Master
    Blog Entries

Talking

None, I dont buy crap! The leat expensive is my G spot.

Cheers,
    M

F91W when it was about six quid on Amazon. Never worn it and not sure why I bought it, apart from the notion that it's a classic watch.

I got a Casio world time chronograph as a secret santa present last year. Stayed right in the box!

It is my Vostok Amphibia which is cheap, completely mental and great fun.

Easy!

I bought a watch from eBay for £1.84 because I couldn't believe anyone could sell a watch so cheap, but it arrived and it tells the time!

Since then I've seen it even cheaper!

M

This Pulsar.

It was a cheap work watch my wife bought me in the 90's - at the time I was working in secure forensic mental health services and due to the risk of damage I preferred not to wear anything more valuable.

I haven't worn it for years. It resides in a draw in the garage along with my watch tools and miscellaneous items.

Despite being one of my preferred case sizes at 35mm (and nice and slim to boot) it had more against it than for in relation to my tastes - asymmetrical case, quartz movement and date window. These are all things I avoid these days.

I still hang on to it though - not a tough decision as its worth very little.

Last edited by Velorum; 26th November 2016 at 14:16.

Master

This puppy

I got this in India about 10 years ago. Miyota quartz movement, doesn't work now but that might just be the battery.

It came free with a pair of trousers I bought in Bangalore. The trousers were £7.

I got this about 16 years ago as a disposable watch for diving, now used for gradening it cost sub £20 it is probably worth sub £2 now.

In fact the strap might be worth more an issued 18mm NATO which I got from a Navy diver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    I got this about 16 years ago as a disposable watch for diving, now used for gradening it cost sub £20 it is probably worth sub £2 now.
    Check out vintage G-Shocks on eBay. I wouldn't say they're worth a fortune but they are worth more than £2.

I think yours is a pre-G-Shock, and so may have some value.

I bought this on e-bay from the US purely because it has my surname on it. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It is too small for me to wear, only about 34mm. I did think that if my lad ever produces grandchildren one of them could wear it as a 'my first watch', but by then they will probably regard it as a load of rubbish from back in the day.

screen capture

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Don't be so harsh about it, it's a nice little watch. :-) Sure, it's no Patek but most watches aren't.

Early on in my watch collecting I bought a small West End (with a lacquer or enamel flower-like image on the dial) from India. It's cheap and small at around 34mm and I'm not even entirely sure if it's a man's or woman's watch but it's not really rubbish, as such. It has some 'personality' about it.

I think that it looks great, and its an excellent size too.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I think that it looks great, and its an excellent size too.
    Thanks chaps. Ian, if you want to do a part exchange (plus cash) for your CWC Quartz if you still have it !!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Thanks chaps. Ian, if you want to do a part exchange (plus cash) for your CWC Quartz if you still have it !!
    Im afraid it had to go in order to part fund the Seamaster. I sold it to Rocket Man (Jon).

As far as I can glean from a quick Google search, Hilton were a company based in New York who distributed pieces with swiss movements and cases sourced from a number of countries including Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

As far as I can glean from a quick Google search, Hilton were a company based in New York who distributed pieces with swiss movements and cases sourced from a number of countries including Hong Kong.
    They seem to have fallen foul of the watch authorities on two occasions, as you say importing parts from the Far East and putting Swiss on the dial and putting 24 jewels on some dials and inserting 17 jewel movements.

A dodgy bunch us Hiltons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Easy!

I bought a watch from eBay for £1.84 because I couldn't believe anyone could sell a watch so cheap, but it arrived and it tells the time!

Since then I've seen it even cheaper!

M
    I think I have the same watch - only mine was £1.36 including postage from China - and I bought TWO! (Both embarrassingly still work and keep better time than a Rolex)

Cheapest is, I think, this one. Picked up on SC but non-working.

Omani Armed Forces - issued/presented on the 10th anniversary of the royal accession.

Anything with a Khanjar seems to be worth a fortune nowadays, so maybe not all lost with the above

Bought from eBay for £24 - listed as just "vintage Seiko" It's from 1971.

Bought it a new crystal and had a cheap service, now runs very reliably at -10s/d

The charcoal grey dial is, in the flesh, captivating, and the hands and indices are so well contrasted that readability is always excellent. 37mm is a perfect old fashioned size for my old fashioned wrist.

Recently I've moved it from the glossy black leather onto this custom made strap

Despite the chrome plated case being battered to hell, I love it to bits. When I have to work away from home or go on holiday, this is the only watch that comes with me.

[/eulogy]

F91W, alongside a few G-Shocks and an Accurist :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    About 4 years ago I bought a Casio 'Seamaster Pro' look-a-like with a 10 year battery (proudly displayed on the dial. It was bought to save the Seamasters when working on my boat. I sold my boat last year and the Casio has stopped working in disgust! So much for a 10 year battery, although in fairness it may have been NOS and sat on the shelf for 6 years.

Journeyman
    Ok boys, please don't be jealous, but this little beauty is all mine. Absolute cack and cost me £2.87 delivered from China. I couldn't stop laughing when it arrived and I actually wear it when I'm just dossing about.

Sent by order of The Peaky Blinders

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman49 View Post
    Ok boys, please don't be jealous, but this little beauty is all mine. Absolute cack and cost me £2.87 delivered from China. I couldn't stop laughing when it arrived and I actually wear it when I'm just dossing about.

Proper Shite

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by horrible jon View Post
    Proper Shite
    Hahaha - guilty

Yeah but a chronograph for £2,84? Can't go wrong and as most people never time anything with one anyway just as good a Speedmaster or Daytona!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Cheapest, but far from crap

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

25 Euro off a market stall in Florence - may not have look quite as good then..http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...psf6505014.jpg

Sorry, but it just doesn't feel right to refer to any watch as crap. They only want to serve.

I know, anthropomorphism gone mad.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Sorry, but it just doesn't feel right to refer to any watch as crap. They only want to serve.

I know, anthropomorphism gone mad.
    Heh. My cheapest watch is the G-Shock I picked up on SC second hand. I absokutely love it and wear it more than anything else. It is in no way crap :)

Although I did win a Vostok in a Fundraiser auction. Having never worn it, I don't know if it's crap. It might be...

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Although I did win a Vostok in a Fundraiser auction. Having never worn it, I don't know if it's crap.
    schrodinger's watch