closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Superocean - To Buy Or Not To Buy

Banned

Breitling Superocean - To Buy Or Not To Buy

iv always wanted a Breitling and i have the opportunity to pick up this earlier superocean.
    not really knowing the Breitling market thought i asked first, he's asking £750 and i wondered what you thought to it for that price
    its on a aftermarket strap and looks it be in ok condition but thought id ask for some opinions on price and Authenticity before diving in
    thanks in advance for any help it is appreciated

Master
    It's real I'm sure. They're lovely and robust watches. It all comes down to what sort of condition you want and are content with. Personally that's too tatty for me; others would enthuse about patina and the stories it tells etc. It's a very subjective thing.

Grand Master
    They're tough old buggers, and fakes from that era where pretty obvious, unlike today, and that one looks kosher. However, it is pretty ropey; it looks like the dial has sustained a bit of damage beyond mere age (water), the hands are starting to corrode, the date wheel is scratched (I can't imagine why) the rotating bezel is chewed and the inner bezel (the ring around the crystal) looks quite poor. For £750 you can do much better; on here I bought a later all-brushed Professional in excellent condition on a full-length Pro I bracelet, with a recent full refurb, a new dial with Superluminova rather than the dead and flaky tritium on yours, and box and some paperwork for a k. Values have fallen further since then.

Superoceans on TZ-UK sales corner crash and burn; they're one of the least liked watches around. A mint recent model (a17360) with a bracelet, spare new OEM rubber strap on a £320 Breitling deployant, box and papers was sold for an advertised £950 recently, and an old but nice looking orange-dialled version for £650. If you're not in a rush, put up a WTB here and collect a bargain!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by dirboxden View Post
    iv always wanted a Breitling and i have the opportunity to pick up this earlier superocean.
    not really knowing the Breitling market thought i asked first, he's asking £750 and i wondered what you thought to it for that price
    its on a aftermarket strap and looks it be in ok condition but thought id ask for some opinions on price and Authenticity before diving in
    thanks in advance for any help it is appreciated

If you're thinking you're going to make money on it, you won't.

If you're buying to wear it then allow £300-500 for a full service, bringing it up as new.

As for the asking price, little too high. I wouldn't pay more than £600, but then I don't actually like the watch.

Pay a bit more and get a bracelet. Even if you don't use it it will be easier to sell on later...

I was watching one on a bracelet last week that went for £500.

I'd pay no more than £400-£450 and then budget around £200 for a service if you really like it.

Is that corrosion on the hands?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post

Superoceans on TZ-UK sales corner crash and burn; they're one of the least liked watches around. A mint recent model (a17360) with a bracelet, spare new OEM rubber strap on a £320 Breitling deployant, box and papers was sold for an advertised £950 recently, and an old but nice looking orange-dialled version for £650. If you're not in a rush, put up a WTB here and collect a bargain!
    Unfortunately, they won't all be, or should be, as cheap as that one I sold!

I actually had gazumping offers via PM...

Such is the watch disease, I actually considered buying a replacement a few weeks ago, but I'm over it for now.

As for the OP watch, I agree you could do better for the money. A WTB should yield something if you're patient and persistent.

Craftsman
    I brought an orange one 3 years ago and then got it serviced for a total on £1400. It looks more or less mint. But after 2 wears it obtained scratches on the bracelet as it's highly polished. However I love it!
    As a daily they are a great daily beater. Yours looks well used and as someone else said it looks a £500-600 unit.

Just for future reference when the OP starts a thread about "What's this watch worth?"

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ticating-Tudor

Apprentice
    I've been looking at these recently and, on Watchfinder, a mint model with box and papers seems to be asking £1,850. I was severely tempted until I came across this thread.

Have prices come up recently, are Watchfinder rip-off merchants or are they still significantly cheaper on Sales Corner which, unfortunately, I don't have access to yet.

Craftsman
    I have to say as a Watchfinder fan and having bought and sold a few watches through them their prices do seem to have gone a bit mad in the last 6 months or so...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TT300 View Post
    I have to say as a Watchfinder fan and having bought and sold a few watches through them their prices do seem to have gone a bit mad in the last 6 months or so...
    Yeah, it's over a year since this thread so, whilst I imagine used prices should have come up a bit from those quoted in earlier responses, £1,850 seems a HUGE jump.

I would say that's it's genuine, but the condition tells me the pricing is way out.

Part of the difficulty with SO range from 10 years back is that there were quite a few changes made to the models, SO, SO steelfish and steelfish XL, with sizes going from 42mm to 44mm in the process.
    Earlier this year I bought a 42mm SO Steelfish that had just came back from a full overhaul it also came with a two year warranty and I paid around the 1850, so I'm sure there will be good examples around for less.