closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Year SOTC/SOTWIW

Master

New Year SOTC/SOTWIW

Since it seems to be that time of year I thought I'd share my current watches. I say SOTC but I think I may have moved from having 'a collection' to having 'the watches I wear' - that's certainly been the aim!

I think realistically this might be it, not in the sense that I won't *ever* try anything else (though I suspect nothing much over £100) but in the sense that these are almost certainly staying and cover all bases.

All arrived this year, all are simple 3 handers, and all are under 37mm. I would categorise them as all-purpose/sports (Nomos), tool (Omega), dress (Tudor), and beater (Seiko).

The Club gets the most wear, perhaps because in the back of my mind I know it is the only current production model and most easily replaced. I think it is a true all-rounder (100m WR!) and a really good bit of design. Occasionally miss lume when wearing it, but never the date.

The Dynamic III is my second of this model. The first was with the trit dial and was just too quirky so I sold it. The white numerals make it a good deal cleaner. This is perhaps a slight compromise in that I would prefer a 36mm Sinn 556 if such a thing existed, or a IWC Mk XII, were it affordable to service. I think for the time being the XII is better as a grail than a reality for me!

The Tudor Oysterdate is a thing of beauty and the Rolex oyster case is probably what I picture in my head when I hear the word 'watch'...

The seiko is a great no-nonsense quartz beater which I can wear when camping, on holiday or roughhousing with my kids, particularly with the sapphire crystal upgrade.

Not pictured: a birth-month 6309 which is too big for me to comfortably wear but I missed so much I bought it back after selling it(!), and a Tiger Explorer, which I wear when I need a smarter holiday watch.

Great little group Tobi, love the Omega especially. How are you finding the comparison between the Club and the Antea (which I assume is now gone!)?

That's a lovely collection and very nice photos! As you said, all simple three handers and all very similar in size, but they have very different characters and a broad appeal.

Is that a standard strap on the Seiko. I really like that, looks great. I'd happily have any of those in my collection!

What a splendid collection.

They all look great but I particularly like the Nomos.

Master
    Thanks all!

PH:

I do slightly regret letting the Antea go, but I did so because I felt the Club made it redundant. The Club is more versatile, sits better on my wrist and has much better WR. I also always felt the Antea was riding on the coat-tails of the Tangente, even if they did have more of a historical claim to the design.

Having an interest in C20th design I do slightly miss having such a 'design led' watch in the stable, and I occasionally consider a Tangente, but stupid as it sounds I'd feel odd about my priciest watch having a snap-on case back!

Manganr:

It's a grey panama perlin by Eulit. Velorum above is the expert on these!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post

Having an interest in C20th design I do slightly miss having such a 'design led' watch in the stable, and I occasionally consider a Tangente, but stupid as it sounds I'd feel odd about my priciest watch having a snap-on case back!
    The back of the Tangente Sport (10atm) was held down by screws:

36.5mm case

Master
    A fantastic collection, great descriptions and lovely photos.

Lovely SOTC there. I particularly like the Nomos and the Tudor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Tangente Sport
    Thanks for the recommendation and good shout - I did indeed spend a while deliberating over the one that came up last year, but in the end the lume plots and added mm (on an all dial watch) took away more than they added for me.

That is just a lovely set of interesting watches, and I would love all of them. Nomos are just great, but the object of desire for me from that set is the Omega, marmite in its time but now very sought after

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely foursome. The Clubs are beautiful watches, and I'm often tempted to pinch Bea's when she's not looking. I also love that Dynamic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    The object of desire for me from that set is the Omega, marmite in its time but now very sought after.
    I suspect they're still considered a bit marmite TBH but I think it has a charm all of its own and wears beautifully, with a thinner ETA-derived movement than the ubiquitous 2824.

They don't often come up here, but are quite regularly on EBay and Chrono24 for around the price of a new Sinn 556...

Master
    Lovely quartet, I'd quite happily wear any of them tbh.
    In actual fact I'm having a hard time picking a favourite from them.

Just seen this thread. V nice - and I also own the 36mm Club and the Omega Dynamic. My Dynamic is a non-trit dial like yours, which I too prefer - and I too would slightly prefer a mkXII instead! The Omega presents good value for money though.

benwoodroffe
    nice collection of watches there fella.