closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finally a decision made on my belated 2016 birthday present

Finally a decision made on my belated 2016 birthday present

I have been looking and asking about various models for quite some time - thanks Der Amf for your council - but decision time has arrived.

I started thinking I was after something more dressy than my current options.

The Bulgari Octo raised some interest but was very quickly dismissed when I saw one.
    I then settled on 4 and have seen and tried all 4.

The last I actually saw was the Tudor Advisor - the complication interested me but in the metal it felt insubstantial for such a large watch and bit of a disappointment.

Piaget Polo S either in White or Grey was another choice - a lovely piece ,slim and elegant but quite a high polish on parts of the bracelet. I tried to love it but it just didn't do it for me.

Long time front runner was the DJ 41 in steel and Everose with chocolate dial. It did meet expectations .
    In the end I decided that my lifestyle just didn't fit - never dress up , all my suits now given away, live in shorts and flip flops-

so I went back to my #1 tool watch choice the Explorer 1.
    So off I go to find one......

Well on the way a Tudor North Flag caught my eye and immediately became an easy decision.
    While I have something considerably under my max budget I have something that for me really draws me from an aesthetic point of view.

Toolish with a splash of colour, lovely Matt black dial, integrated lugs giving slightly more unusual case shape and a great bracelet. Great contrast to the white indicies and hands And good lume in blue

Not everyone's cup of tea but I guess a couple of the ones eliminated from the list are also a bit marmite.

Any way thanks for reading

Mark
    Last edited by MarkO; 4th January 2017 at 19:28.

I like the look of it. The yellow accents are particularly attractive. :)

Can you get alternative straps for it or will it remain forever on the bracelet?

You can get a Tudor strap with deployant or you could have custom straps made to the12mm spring bars.

The only definite no would be NATO strap.

benwoodroffe
    Great choice, the north flag looks to fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    You can get a Tudor strap with deployant or you could have custom straps made to the12mm spring bars.

That's good to know.

BTW, did you get it from Iconic by any chance?

Now Sean behave !

Fraser Hart - served by a friendly assistant in Stratford on Monday but today was decision day and I was on The Strand so went to St Paul's store - equally pleasant to deal with

Now Sean behave !
    :)

I love how a desire for everose DJs etc ends up with a North Flag! But the way it sauntered in from the left field and took over tells you that you've bought the right watch. All our discussions and dissections of decisions are nothing in comparison with your gut saying: yeah that one.

Glad you shopped at that branch of FH. I've spent a lot of time gawping in their windows, and once tried on a Nomos Orion there.

PS I'll be invoicing for all that time looking on the Rolex site for prices etc, yeah?

Craftsman
    nice choice! I like the black-yellow combo.

Nice choice, I found this when looking at the BB36 (and Heritage Ranger) and came out thinking that the North Flag really stood out, just worried, for me that its a bit too big, width but more so on the depth.
    Its a great looking peice though, eye catching without being flashy!

Another thought: Tudor's being so nice to when servicing your Black Bay did them no harm, eh?

Craftsman
    Great watch! I do like the look of the Piaget though!

Craftsman
    Fantastic choice. Different, stylish and a toolish watch. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations, I think the NF is a great value watch, with a good level of detail on the bracelet and bezel. I kept mine on the bracelet for about 12 months, but it's now on the rubber strap from my Pelagos.

I love the look face on, but couldnt get my head around the side view of the case when I tried it on my wrist - but maybe because it's not a common look and I need to give it more time.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I love how a desire for everose DJs etc ends up with a North Flag! But the way it sauntered in from the left field and took over tells you that you've bought the right watch. All our discussions and dissections of decisions are nothing in comparison with your gut saying: yeah that one.

Glad you shopped at that branch of FH. I've spent a lot of time gawping in their windows, and once tried on a Nomos Orion there.

PS I'll be invoicing for all that time looking on the Rolex site for prices etc, yeah?
    I know when I saw it in the flesh on Monday I thought - well this will be a surprise.

At least it was your StPauls recommendation that enabled me to complete the deal .

Craftsman
    Welcome to the North Flag club.

Since the North Flag was only ever in-house movement, does this mean that behind the usual Tudor sides the caseback also bulges slightly, not like the flat back on your ETA Black Bay?

Apprentice
    I have been looking and asking about various models for quite some time - thanks Der Amf for your council - but decision time has arrived.

I started thinking I was after something more dressy than my current options.

The Bulgari Octo raised some interest but was very quickly dismissed when I saw one.
    I then settled on 4 and have seen and tried all 4.

The last I actually saw was the Tudor Advisor - the complication interested me but in the metal it felt insubstantial for such a large watch and bit of a disappointment.

Piaget Polo S either in White or Grey was another choice - a lovely piece ,slim and elegant but quite a high polish on parts of the bracelet. I tried to love it but it just didn't do it for me.

Long time front runner was the DJ 41 in steel and Everose with chocolate dial. It did meet expectations .
    In the end I decided that my lifestyle just didn't fit - never dress up , all my suits now given away, live in shorts and flip flops-

so I went back to my #1 tool watch choice the Explorer 1.
    So off I go to find one......

Well on the way a Tudor North Flag caught my eye and immediately became an easy decision.
    While I have something considerably under my max budget I have something that for me really draws me from an aesthetic point of view.

Toolish with a splash of colour, lovely Matt black dial, integrated lugs giving slightly more unusual case shape and a great bracelet. Great contrast to the white indicies and hands And good lume in blue

Not everyone's cup of tea but I guess a couple of the ones eliminated from the list are also a bit marmite.

Any way thanks for reading

Mark
    I keep thinking the Polo would look nice on a thin rubber, like an Aquanut. Havent seen it in real life though.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Since the North Flag was only ever in-house movement, does this mean that behind the usual Tudor sides the caseback also bulges slightly, not like the flat back on your ETA Black Bay?
    Yes the case back bulges compared to my Black bay with ETA movement, I imagine it may bulge more than the new black bay as there is a display back - apparently a first for Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottifar View Post
    I keep thinking the Polo would look nice on a thin rubber, like an Aquanut. Havent seen it in real life though.
    I keep thinking how the thread would look better without quoting of massively picture-heavy posts ;)

But I actually agree on the Piaget; the white faced Piaget is by far my pick of the watches above, night and day. I think you might be right on swapping the bracelet out.

edit: have just looked at the price of the Piaget - crikey. 3 times the price of the Tudor?
    Last edited by kungfugerbil; 5th January 2017 at 10:17.

, I imagine it may bulge more than the new black bay as there is a display back - apparently a first for Tudor.
    Yes, just a smidgen, I think

Quick update - I have had my North Flag 2 weeks now having set it when I got back to my home time - it seems to run ever so slightly slow during the day then catches back a tiny bit at night - generally left crown up. Net result after 13 days -1sec hard to beat that !

As for the rest , the lume is great, little things like the yellow 5 min markers catch the eve and add a bit extra interest, the detail on the bracelet is different from my BB. The bracelet is brushed but the to edge of the center link is polished which again just catches the light in a subtle way.
    I am enjoying the case shape and the way the integrated lugs help the bracelet sit.

I am not particularly aware of the height as some have mentioned and the 40mm size is just right given the integrated lug case shape.

Overall very happy.

Mark

Craftsman
    It's that black face/yellow hand combo again that gets me. Just something about it that's right.

Had been toying with getting a Damasko DA45 because I wanted a white face for a change, but then I saw the DA46 (black face/yellow second hand) and now I'm torn!! Damn.

Apprentice
    Fun choice of a watch. I too think it is a really interesting watch from Tudor.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app