closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Winders

Master

Watch Winders

As we've now got 4 auto watches in the house can anyone recommend a make/model and where to source? Ideally not those cheap ebay ones but not a fortune either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fairly cheap eBay but doesn't look too bad. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2223692561...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Fairly cheap eBay but doesn't look too bad. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2223692561...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Thanks.
    I've just checked the sellers location and it's china. Fk why ebay let these shysters claim to be located in UK. Tbh I've got no objection to buying chinesey stuff as most everything is made there these days but I don't like it when they try to bamboozle. As you say, doesn't look too bad though.

Master

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by horrible jon View Post
    Have to be expensive with a name like Barrington m'lud

Craftsman
    I posted something similar and looked around. In end I didn't bother and just wind em up when needed. A minor pain in the rump sometimes but actually prefer this way now

Master
    I have a few and the motors become noisy after a while. It's often because the grease that surrounds all the cogs in the motor mechanism shifts to the outside and motors can be expensive, so finding a winder that you can get at the motor and try a bit of your own maintenance by simply re-locating the grease can be useful. They are expensive and fragile if you have to post them back to get serviced at a later date.

Craftsman
    I got one of these mounted vertically in the spare room. It's quite noisy (grinding sort of sound). Got it for about £50 on Amazon. It's a chinese (sorry) knock off of an expensive swiss design. I only use it for watches that I'm modding or testing though. For what I wear, I'll just get it going if it's run down and wear it. Not really keen on having a watch in constant use if it's not in regular rotation.

I'd recommend not buying one. 4 autos, I've virtually got an auto one every day of the month, and you'll never (unless I buy a Perpetual Calender) see me use one - ever!
    It's just a matter of time...

Wolf winders are very good, they are silent (use mine on bedside cabinet with no noise issues). I have two single Module 4.1 winders which are a great option as you can add more winders as your collection grows, they clip simply together.

Quote Originally Posted by horrible jon View Post
    Seconded, I've got their carbon 6 watch winder and it's been faultless. Their customer service is excellent and speak to Sean if you're interested in buying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Thanks.
    I've just checked the sellers location and it's china. Fk why ebay let these shysters claim to be located in UK. Tbh I've got no objection to buying chinesey stuff as most everything is made there these days but I don't like it when they try to bamboozle. As you say, doesn't look too bad though.
    Many of the Chinese vendors who show a location in the UK have a warehouse in the UK, so the UK location can be entirely legitimate. The delivery estimate of 6 to 8 days on that particular listing tends to suggest that the location in Hayes is real, even if the business is a Chinese one.

I know some companies lie but more and more seem to have local warehousing in the UK.

This has been discussed to death here, but...

Personally, I view a watch winder as effectively wearing all your watches 24/7 which for me is not ideal and it is something I have never done. It is no issue changing dates and doing a couple of turns to add some energy to the watch before you wear it. Leaves some money for another watch purchase and potentially decreases wear on the movement.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I agree with Chris above in that a) this has been extensively debated in the past and b) my conclusion was also that subjecting all my autos to effectively 24/7/365 use would be likely to wear them out faster!

I really don't see that the time taken to starting up a watch and setting it is that big a deal - I see it as part of the welcome interaction with my watches.

I'd save your money if I was you.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    This has been discussed to death here, but...

Personally, I view a watch winder as effectively wearing all your watches 24/7 which for me is not ideal and it is something I have never done. It is no issue changing dates and doing a couple of turns to add some energy to the watch before you wear it. Leaves some money for another watch purchase and potentially decreases wear on the movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I agree with Chris above in that a) this has been extensively debated in the past and b) my conclusion was also that subjecting all my autos to effectively 24/7/365 use would be likely to wear them out faster!

I really don't see that the time taken to starting up a watch and setting it is that big a deal - I see it as part of the welcome interaction with my watches.

I'd save your money if I was you.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the above sums up my opinion perfectly.
    F.T.F.A.

I have a single watchfinder that I only use for watches that are a pain to st when I know I will be wearing it again in a couple of days. Otherwise I let them run down.

Master
    I bought a single (Wolf) winder. Then a cool triple (Wolf) winder. And now I don't use either of them, for the reasons given above.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    I got one of these mounted vertically in the spare room. It's quite noisy (grinding sort of sound). Got it for about £50 on Amazon. It's a chinese (sorry) knock off of an expensive swiss design. I only use it for watches that I'm modding or testing though. For what I wear, I'll just get it going if it's run down and wear it. Not really keen on having a watch in constant use if it's not in regular rotation.

Really must buy myself one of these. Ideal for testing watches after service, I can't justify the cost of a good one so it'll have to be a noisy (affordable) chinese one.

Paul

Craftsman
    I've got one of these...they're a little pricy right now, and not really worth it at the current price I'd say.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winder-Watc...dp/B01BUG4CME/

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post

If I ever brought something like that into the house my wife would probably divorce me...

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Coming from someone who has only had auto's, mechanicals in the last couple of years. Part of the experience for me is setting the time and springing that lovely sweeping second hand into life with a couple of satisfying winds of the crown. Just makes it feel that little more special

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Coming from someone who has only had auto's, mechanicals in the last couple of years. Part of the experience for me is setting the time and springing that lovely sweeping second hand into life with a couple of satisfying winds of the crown. Just makes it feel that little more special
    I totally agree with this, but if you still want a watchwinder, then check out this beast:

https://www.rapportlondon.com/watch-...e-capsule-w193

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman49 View Post
    I totally agree with this, but if you still want a watchwinder, then check out this beast:

I wonder if it doubles as a uranium centrifuge.

Journeyman
    I’m considering one for when my Breitling gets back from service and repair.

I’m not sure if the design or materials have changed since 2005, but one of the reasons (I’m led to believe) that my crown threads have stripped was the reaction/compatibility between the two metals used. Obviously unscrewing the crown for setting/adjustment exacerbated this issue somewhat! So, given that I’ll hopefully be wearing my Sinn UX half of the time, I thought a winder for the Breitling would be a great idea. Obviously I’ll have date issues which is a very minor inconvenience, but all told it should be better/healthier for this particular watch.

Also, I’ve read that the Barrington winders operate on a 12 hour shift, effectively shutting down the winder overnight – so in that respect, it’s pretty much exactly the same as wearing it 24 hours a day. (or have I got that completely wrong!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroblack350 View Post
    Also, I’ve read that the Barrington winders operate on a 12 hour shift, effectively shutting down the winder overnight – so in that respect, it’s pretty much exactly the same as wearing it 24 hours a day. (or have I got that completely wrong!)
    I think so, broadly. Most winders seem to have timer functions.

My cheapy dual winder has various modes, one of which is 3 hours winding and 9 hours off. This mode keeps watches fully wound but it seems to me that the wear and tear should be no greater than wearing the watch on the wrist all day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman49 View Post

I've got a Rapport Carbon Dual Winder which I bought about 6 years ago, think I paid around £350-400, the price now is eye watering, over £1,000 which is obscene! They look nice but I think they have the same cheap innards/motors as much cheaper brands. Mine went back twice under warranty for replacement motors and for a third time more recently which I had to pay around £70 for. I couldn't fault the customer service though.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Really must buy myself one of these. Ideal for testing watches after service, I can't justify the cost of a good one so it'll have to be a noisy (affordable) chinese one.

Paul
    They are noisy Paul, I started off with one of those and it always sounded like it would catch alight with all the grinding and noises emanating from it. Binned it and bought a Bergeon one which is silent and runs 90mins on, 90mins off 24/7.

Craftsman
    I've got my cheapo cyclotest machine plugged in to a light timer. So it comes on and goes off automatically

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    They are noisy Paul, I started off with one of those and it always sounded like it would catch alight with all the grinding and noises emanating from it. Binned it and bought a Bergeon one which is silent and runs 90mins on, 90mins off 24/7.
    My Barrington is almost silent but I guess you get what you pay for. Mine's set to 600 revolutions per day which is the minimum and more than adequate to keep all of the watches running.