closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling on ebay

Selling on ebay

I'm looking to sell my Monaco I don't quite have enough posts to sell on here yet. My only other option is trading it in or ebay.

A little paranoid about ebay as sellers seem to get no protection and worried the buyer may claim they did't receive it or something else. Anyone had any experience of selling on ebay and the potential pitfalls.

I've had generally good experiences on eBay with over 1000 positive sales/purchases. You get the occasional problem of folk not paying but I've never had anything more serious than that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've sold on eBay. Just be extra vigilant. Lots of pictures tracked shipping and I'd try and speak to the buyer before shipping.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also eBay has fees. These are capped at 10% of the final fee capped at £275. There is also PayPal fees.

Ebay is fine 99% of the time, i've sold many watches over the years. Just apply some common sense. Only send to confirmed Paypal addresses, always tracked and insured. Take pictures of the watch and note serial numbers. Never allow collection with Paypal payment (always cash on collect or bank transfer). If you don't like the sound of the buyer tell him to jog on.

The scenario Im worried about is that they could claim there was nothing sent but the box for example and then claim the money back through paypal & I would be left pocketless and watchless is this something that could happen. I did use it to sell a longines once a few yeards ago and went well but this being of higher value I'm not so sure.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They could but if your concerned video you packing it and weigh it. If they say an empty box came you have proof it didn't.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mc5 View Post
    The scenario Im worried about is that they could claim there was nothing sent but the box for example and then claim the money back through paypal & I would be left pocketless and watchless is this something that could happen. I did use it to sell a longines once a few yeards ago and went well but this being of higher value I'm not so sure.
    eBay has seller protection now and as long as you can prove delivery that should not be too much of an issue.

Banned
    I usually say cash / bank transfer on collection and offer to meet up to 50 miles away from home. I also add my phone number and 9 times out of 10 if someone wants it they'll call you and buy it that way

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mc5 View Post
    Unfortunately that can and does happen, I have bought and sold on Ebay in the past with no problems but following a friends bad experience I am not so sure I would do it now. There are sellers advice boards on Ebays site and it may pay to ask for advice.

Yes but only accept PayPal, send to the address linked to the paypal account and use Royal Mail special delivery with insurance increased to the appropriate value, which costs about £14 to send a watch.

Take good photos, set your auction to end at a sensible time, put it in the correct category and spell check your title and description. Expect stupid questions and people asking you to end the auction early.

Craftsman
    As members have already stated just apply common sense.

I would make sure the ebay member has a long established account with positive feedback, one they would not be willing to be blocked or receive negative feedback on.

Sometimes you just have to have a little trust and not think everyone is out to screw you over, although it can be a hard thing to do when it comes to eBay!

Craftsman

Selling on ebay

There's good advice in this thread

Selling in eBay is fine if you follow all the rules and do not deviate at all

If you are worried get a special delivery silver envelope and video yourself packing the watch and sealing the envelope then without moving off the package video the sealed edge then the unique postage reference, there's no way the parcel can be opened and resealed and if the envelope is swapped the postage reference changes
    Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 5th February 2017 at 18:28.

Master
    I would first try cash on collection for a month. Meet at your bank or police station even first, and have the money paid straight into your account so you know it's kosher notes.

I've sold maybe 6 watches on ebay, including a couple approaching 2k. No issues, as others have said, just be sensible .

Only deal with people with positive feedback and a decent amount of it. Mentioning that you'd be happy to meet and do the deal in person is sensible (in a well lit public place!). And I've always called the listed bummer to speak to the buyer.

I'd (personally) not sell overseas.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post

The global shipping program is very good but only for sales under £1500

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    The global shipping program is very good but only for sales under £1500
    I've just used it to sell a seiko turtle, but I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable with something more valuable? Just seems like a lot of hassle if there's any issues or an awkward buyer?

Craftsman
    I got burned on a cheapie Seiko 007 that went missing after arriving at Charles DeGaulle airport and since then I have insisted that any sales above 300 only go by international courier, Fedex or UPS or DHL. Some buyers try to get you to use the normal postal service but I just refuse.

Or just sell it to watchfinder?

Craftsman
    It's definitely easier to only send to the UK

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    Or just sell it to watchfinder?
    yeah sure, if you like getting shafted!

For an item of that value I would recommend restricting the sale to UK only and state in your listing that bidders with less than 10 feedback should contact first you before bidding. If they don't delete their bid.

Most importantly keep your proof of postage receipts indefinitely even if the buyer leaves positive feedback otherwise you'll leave yourself wide open if the buyer requests a PayPal chargeback months later. Also never ever accept payable if the buyer collects as you'll automatically lose a chargeback case if you can't prove the item was posted to the buyers address.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I've sold maybe 6 watches on ebay, including a couple approaching 2k. No issues, as others have said, just be sensible .

Only deal with people with positive feedback and a decent amount of it. Mentioning that you'd be happy to meet and do the deal in person is sensible (in a well lit public place!). And I've always called the listed bummer to speak to the buyer.

You have called who ��

Master
    Cash on collection only end of

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    You have called who ��
    Slight typo, should of read listed number! Whoops

Craftsman
    I sold my Tudor BB on eBay which at the the time, wasn't being widely sold in the U.K. The buyer ended up trying to claim I'd sold him a fake (I posted on here) but I managed to show that he himself was involved in the replica watch market through some research online and with the help of some fellow forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    only accept PayPal
    Curious why you say that. I've never sold on eBay (bought plenty though) but as far as I know PayPal strongly favours the buyer in the event of any dispute while charging the seller like the proverbial wounded rhino. That sounds to me like the worst of all worlds for the seller but I'm happy to be educated otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    yeah sure, if you like getting shafted!
    Lmao - shafted by wf or scammed on eBay - your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    Lmao - shafted by wf or scammed on eBay - your choice!
    It's true, not sure which is worse. WF offers are derisory and border on the insulting. I prefer to take my chances on eBay

Master
    Recently sold a watch on eBay for £300 more than advertised on here, and £500 more than a couple of low offers I'd received on here for the same watch...

Spoke to the buyer in person, got a good vibe from him and he happily did a bank transfer, so avoiding PP fees, and I sent him the watch.....
    He was delighted, and I was over the moon with the price...eBay fees worked out at £130.

Just be careful....any doubts, and walk away..

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    They could but if your concerned video you packing it and weigh it. If they say an empty box came you have proof it didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    If you are worried get a special delivery silver envelope and video yourself packing the watch and sealing the envelope then without moving off the package video the sealed edge then the unique postage reference, there's no way the parcel can be opened and resealed and if the envelope is swapped the postage reference changes
    Pointless. In the event of a SNAD dispute, PayPal would not take any account of such video "evidence", as it doesn't in any way prove that you have sent a genuine item to the buyer. A dishonest buyer could claim that you sent them a replica/broken watch/box of stones, make a SNAD claim, and then send you back a cheap replica, and PayPal would refund them. Your only recourse then would be to go to Small Claims Court - and good luck with that.

Craftsman
    Op - another suggestion would be to keep an eye on the WTB section

Will they treat long established business sellers with 100% positive feedback the same way? Wouldn't eBay consider account history as well?

Master
    Or hold onto it until you meet the required post count/time scale on her and then advertise on SC.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Curious why you say that. I've never sold on eBay (bought plenty though) but as far as I know PayPal strongly favours the buyer in the event of any dispute while charging the seller like the proverbial wounded rhino. That sounds to me like the worst of all worlds for the seller but I'm happy to be educated otherwise.
    If I was selling on here I'd prefer BT or Cash, but you don't know who you're dealing with on eBay so I wouldn't fancy a face to face meet. You could put yourself in danger of a mugging, chance of accepting counterfeit cash or have a Bank Transfer reversed within 24 hours. I've also agreed to accept cash on collection on a couple of items and the buyer not show up.

I recommended Paypal because over the past decade and over 250 sales I've never had an issue. Whilst PP favours the buyer in a dispute, if you're honest with your listing and photos clearly show the item and any faults you reduce the chance of a dispute.

Put lots of clear photos, detail in the narrative and always answer questions asked.

I saw an Omega the other day, it simply said that it had been serviced. I contacted the guy and politely asked when it had been serviced and by whom (Omega, STS, Genesis etc) and did he have any receipts for the work and was the watch still under warranty following the service. Perfectly reasonable question that I shouldn't have had to ask - sod all back, the guy completely ignored me.

Rule one, if they don't reply - walk away.

I would have bought the watch !!
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 6th February 2017 at 15:08.

Journeyman
    I listed my Tudor North Flag on eBay because I don't have the post count to sell it here, either. Another eBay user with all positive feedback contacted me and offered to pay through PayPal. I then received what looked like a legit confirmation email from PayPal, and the user messaged me again to give his UK address and asked me to send the item there. Luckily, I was able to spot the email purporting to be from PayPal was in fact sent from an unrelated email domain. I called both PayPal and eBay to confirm this was a scam attempt and reported the fraudulent user. Be very very careful before you proceed and double-check everything before you proceed. FWIW, I've used eBay for years and this is the first time I ran into a dishonest user, so I guess I'm lucky

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Pointless. In the event of a SNAD dispute, PayPal would not take any account of such video "evidence", as it doesn't in any way prove that you have sent a genuine item to the buyer. A dishonest buyer could claim that you sent them a replica/broken watch/box of stones, make a SNAD claim, and then send you back a cheap replica, and PayPal would refund them. Your only recourse then would be to go to Small Claims Court - and good luck with that.
    I agree with this. Because paypal and ebay are obviously in the business of maintaining buyer's confidence far more than the seller's, they will almost certainly come down on the side of the buyer, and this video can easily be argued against by any half alert scam-buyer. As I said, cash on collection at a safe location or payment by bank transfer would be all I would accept on a watch over £300.

Yeah think I'll skip eBay and trade in or wait till I can post here. Can't beat this place really

Selling on ebay

I have sold many watches on eBay. Only ever had 1 issue.

I tried to return an item which was advertised as 9/10 but had scratches all over it. Seller ignored all comms, I returned the item following eBay's return policy and the watch appeared to get lost in post. A month later I had no watch and no money, I was pretty worried to be honest.
    Then out of the blue eBay returned all money
    They never told if they recovered the money off the seller but I noticed he had it back up for sale 6 months later. eBay weren't interested