closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise cancelling headphones

Master

Noise cancelling headphones

A group I'm in on Facebook has suggested noise cancelling headphones may be useful for my autistic son, so I've decided to do a little research (well ask on here).
    All the headphones currently in our house have been purchased after recommendations on this site, time to add to that.

These would need to be over the head jobbies, cordless preferably, although how long do the batteries tend to last? and are they rechargeable or disposable?
    Do they actually work?
    In an ideal world looking sub £150 but the budget could be pushed to £200
    Suggestions on makes and models please.

Not cordless but not £200 either these were workhorse headphones for me for a couple of years when I was flying to Sweden and back every week - £60 on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/131788249796
    What HiFi gave them 5/5stars at £150 (albeit nearly 10 years ago): http://www.whathifi.com/goldring/ns-...celling/review
    The battery that powers the noise-cancelling circuit lasts for ages.
    I never tested them directly against more expensive ones but I never felt the need to either on music quality or noise-cancelling.

I have tried a few different brands and was never very impressed until I got a pair of Bose. I know they are on the upper price end, but they really do work well. I wear them at my desk at work as there is a lot of noise around the office and it all disappears. I often don't even notice people entering the room (has given me a fright on more than one occasion!).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I got these off SC and am very impressed with the NC. Background noise just disappears on a noisy street or train. They are at top end of your price bracket but worth it. They are very comfy over ear. Integrated rechargeable battery lasts 20hrs I believe.

Sony Wireless NC (MDR-100ABN)

Blog Entries
    After a bit of research... I went for these

Plantronics (make all thr call centre headphones)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/plantr...eat-pro-review

Got some on eBay used for around £80

Excellent noise cancelling
    Bomb proof
    Best in class battery life

http://www.whathifi.com/akg/n60-nc/review

AKG N60 NC
    I bought a pair of these 2 days ago, I can confirm that they are excellent, very well rated by all reviewers, equal or out class the Bose NC Headphones in tests and meet all of your requirements (can be used wireless for NC use, 30 hour battery life, rechargeable, light to wear and on budget). £149.95 from Amazon.
    Last edited by dustybottoms; 28th January 2017 at 12:11.

I've QC25s and the battery (AAA) lasts for ages.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Boses from me. They're great on flights but also when I'm trying to work in the same room as my partner as she watches TV. The battery is only really a problem if you forget to turn them off when you finish using them. There's a nifty little slot in the case to keep spare batteries anyway so as long as that's full too, you'll be fine for hours.

I use Bose Q35s, not just for music but also for work when I am transcribing certain things. Last for ages. I used them for six hours the other night and the battery was only down to 70%. Rechargeable too. Really impressed with them and the sound quality is fantastic too.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    http://www.whathifi.com/akg/n60-nc/review

AKG N60 NC
    I bought a pair of these 2 days ago, I can confirm that they are excellent, very well rated by all reviewers, equal or out class the Bose NC Headphones in tests and meet all of your requirements (can be used wireless for NC use, 30 hour battery life, rechargeable, light to wear and on budget). £149.95 from Amazon.
    I have a pair of these as well. They aren't cordless but you won't get the same sound quality via Bluetooth. Terrific headphones however you say they can be used wireless - how so as they aren't wireless headphones?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was looking for NC BT headphones last year and went through the reviews. The Bose are excellent, but expensive, Sennheiser and Sony get good reviews, Beats are bass heavy (so not for me) and I ended up with the Parrot Zik 2.0.

To get the price down I bought them used on eBay, taking care to avoid all of the cosmetically damaged offerings (the ear pads can split). I'm very pleased with them. They charge up via a standard micro-USB socket and the battery is replaceable so I have bought a spare, just in case.

The Zik 2.0 is now an old model and so you may be able to find them within your price range.

Hi Bloater, I was in a similar situation with my young son who is autistic. He was having trouble in school with noise and they allow him to use noise cancelling headphones for certain classes. He was so much happier with them so they are definiatly worth doing. As for make, lucky son got my bose ones:)

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I have a pair of these as well. They aren't cordless but you won't get the same sound quality via Bluetooth. Terrific headphones however you say they can be used wireless - how so as they aren't wireless headphones?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What I meant was the NC function can be used without the need of any wires or an iPod, just place on your ears and switch the NC function on (as long as they have been charged). Which would meet the OP's requirements perfectly as he is looking for a NC headphone for his sons autistic needs not specifically to play music through, if you see what I mean?

Having said all this they are excellent cans for music also.

Master
    Cheers for the replies folks.
    The noise cancelling is not just for loud situations it also when he would normally wear headphones, which equates to a good number of hours each day.
    Either listening to music, audio books, Netflix and YouTube.
    His current headphones are non noise cancelling and also corded and the cord seems the weak point.
    The battery needs to be long life or changeable as he often falls asleep with headphones on.

Craftsman
    I have Bose QC15 and QC35's both excellent.

Craftsman
    On the Bose headphones, they take a single AAA battery so I guess you could get rechargeables. Technically, I guess you could change the battery without taking the headphones off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Cheers for the replies folks.
    The noise cancelling is not just for loud situations it also when he would normally wear headphones, which equates to a good number of hours each day.
    Either listening to music, audio books, Netflix and YouTube.
    His current headphones are non noise cancelling and also corded and the cord seems the weak point.
    The battery needs to be long life or changeable as he often falls asleep with headphones on.
    For that purpose see my Sony recommendation above. You may be able to get some in budget off eBay?

Had traditional Bose over-ear NC's and now have the in-ear corded type.

Very good - and the in ear have a very good battery life on one charge.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Another vote for Bose. I got some QC25 for £155 from Ebay. Unwanted gift, and unworn.
    Some here with no bids:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252741956570
    And I noticed some buy it now for £190

Bose for me as well.

I tried on ear, in ear and over the ear and the Bose are the best IMHO and more importantly the most comfortable.

Comfort is almost are important as the noise cancelling especially if he will be wearing them for long periods.

- - - Updated - - -

Bose for me as well.

I tried on ear, in ear and over the ear and the Bose are the best IMHO and more importantly the most comfortable.

Comfort is almost are important as the noise cancelling especially if he will be wearing them for long periods.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    After a bit of research... I went for these

Plantronics (make all thr call centre headphones)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/plantr...eat-pro-review

Got some on eBay used for around £80

Excellent noise cancelling
    Bomb proof
    Best in class battery life
    I've got these as well. Excellent headphones for the price. Comfy, great noise cancelling and the battery lasts for ages.

There is a budget pair of NC BT headphones on offer for £30 at Amazon until 10h00 today: link.

Master
    The one thing to watch with NC headphones is that they can cause pressure in the ear. My daughter, also autistic, can't get used to them so the just uses regular, over the ear headphones to help block out the noise of the day.

Craftsman
    I have both the "in-ear" Bose QC25s, and the "over-ear" QC35s.

Whilst I appreciate they are at the top end of your budget, both are excellent options. The noise-cancelling (arguably the best function) is, in my view, the best available on the market.

As others have mentioned, battery life is fantastic, and the QC25, seem to last longer than the QC35s.

I understand that true audiophiles have some questions over bass response in the Bose range, but as someone who spends a lot of time on either trains or planes, and other noisy environments, sound is more than adequate for my needs.

Hope this helps.

As a final note, I bought my 35s from Martin Dawes, at something like £245. Following a recommendation on this forum, but I don't believe they stock them now.

Good luck.

^^^^^

Typo alert? QC25s are over-ear headphones...but not BT/wireless.

After weeks of research, and really wanting to like the MDR-1000Xs, I went out and bought the QC35s today. And they're ace.

The Sony's lack of support for multiple devices was the deal breaker for me. Got used to that on my old SoundLinks and couldn't deal with what the Sony puts you through.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Not cordless but not £200 either these were workhorse headphones for me for a couple of years when I was flying to Sweden and back every week - £60 on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/131788249796
    What HiFi gave them 5/5stars at £150 (albeit nearly 10 years ago): http://www.whathifi.com/goldring/ns-...celling/review
    The battery that powers the noise-cancelling circuit lasts for ages.
    I never tested them directly against more expensive ones but I never felt the need to either on music quality or noise-cancelling.
    I had a pair of these but I could always hear a high pitched white noise sort of sound in the background. No such problem with the Bose.

Master
    I used Sennheiser which were on-ear and are uncomfortable after a while. On a trip to Las Vegas (some years ago) I went in the Bose outlet and picked up the headphones for considerably less than retail. They've lasted years and I've lent them to friends going long-haul and they always rave about them. Think there are 2 models now but they were worth the initial expense (only because they were prob. 60% of the UK price). Thet outclassed the Sennheiser but there was a price difference

Is anyone successfully using QC35s on a (Windows 10) PC?

Found pairing a pita (if another output is chosen won't work again until PC turned on again), sound choppy and range rubbish. Brilliant on an iPhone though but would prefer to save battery whilst at home.

Are the Sonys any better - I suspect it's a limitation of PCs and their Bluetooth adapters?

Quote Originally Posted by alljay View Post
    The one thing to watch with NC headphones is that they can cause pressure in the ear. My daughter, also autistic, can't get used to them so the just uses regular, over the ear headphones to help block out the noise of the day.

Hi...I'm not sure that I understand what you mean (see highlight). Can you explain, please?

Your daughter may well not like the unusual isolation that comes with NC technology and so prefer regular headphones. Did you try turning the NC off?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Hi...I'm not sure that I understand what you mean (see highlight). Can you explain, please?

Your daughter may well not like the unusual isolation that comes with NC technology and so prefer regular headphones. Did you try turning the NC off?
    I don't know how to describe the sensation, but I also notice it when I use Bose headphones. It feels like there is a pressure buildup in the ears from the headphones. I don't know what it is, but it isn't there when the NC is turned off. I am now used to the sensation and it doesn't bother me, but she couldn't get used to it. I call it pressure, but that might not be the right term. Google it and you'll see I'm no the only one to notice it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...029.1473544494

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21978648

For the record, I never fly without my Bose QC25. I might upgrade to 35s one day, but not today...

Craftsman
    Another vote for Bose QC25, I thought the noise cancelling would be good for music but they are brilliant and just as good on flights without listening to music - magic!

I don't know how to describe the sensation, but I also notice it when I use Bose headphones. It feels like there is a pressure buildup in the ears from the headphones. I don't know what it is, but it isn't there when the NC is turned off. I am now used to the sensation and it doesn't bother me, but she couldn't get used to it. I call it pressure, but that might not be the right term. Google it and you'll see I'm no the only one to notice it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...029.1473544494

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21978648

For the record, I never fly without my Bose QC25. I might upgrade to 35s one day, but not today...

I know what you mean about the "pressure" sensation. I'd describe it a bit like your ears popping, and noticeable on all the NC headphones I've tried. It's possibly because the headphones have to be relatively airtight to keep outside noise out, but it's not as noticeable if I just put them on without switching them on, so it's possibly a bit of auditory illusion when the noise level goes down.

The low level hiss is another distraction, but I suspect both of these are necessary artefacts of noise cancellation.

As as you say, you've got to ignore them. Some people just can't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I've got these as well. Excellent headphones for the price. Comfy, great noise cancelling and the battery lasts for ages.

+2

I bought the Plantronics from Amazon last summer - price fluctuates around £100-130, but I struck lucky and got them for £80 as an open box from Amazon Warehouse. I've been very impressed by them - noise cancelling works well, audio quality is good, battery life is excellent. I like how they pair with multiple devices (two at a time) - I listen to music from my laptop and can still answer my phone. I think they're more than deserving of the star rating they get omn Amazon

Comparing them to a colleagues QC35 - NC is not quite as good (standing next to a boiling kettle is a good test), but I prefer the sound of the Plantronics. One downside is the size - I occasionally see others wearing them on the tube - they're not small.

I fly long haul fairly regularly - I lalways make sure I've packed these

Very interesting thread.

Think my son might benefit from NC too - I'd like to be able to limit the volume when he's listening to music though. Do any decent NC headphones come with volume limiters? I could Google this so I guess I'm asking if any of you can recommend a pair of NC headphones where the volume can't go too loud.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Very interesting thread.

Think my son might benefit from NC too - I'd like to be able to limit the volume when he's listening to music though. Do any decent NC headphones come with volume limiters? I could Google this so I guess I'm asking if any of you can recommend a pair of NC headphones where the volume can't go too loud.
    Depending on the type of electronic, you might be able to limit the volume on the device itself. There might be a parental setting that allows you to set sound levels and timers. My daughter doesn't like loud noise, so I don't have to worry about volume, but I use the settings to limit the time she can be on her tablet.

Apprentice
    I have Bose QC35's. they sound very good to me, but I'm no expert on sounds. I haven't used them on a flight yet but I'm looking forward to wearing them on my flight to Texas in a few weeks. Hopefully I can give an update on how they perform when I return.

I wonder what the OP bought and whether or not they had the desired effect?

I have a set of Panasonic RP HC800's - very good for the price.

I think my wife agrees, but I can't hear a damn thing she says these days.

Depending on the type of electronic, you might be able to limit the volume on the device itself. There might be a parental setting that allows you to set sound levels and timers. My daughter doesn't like loud noise, so I don't have to worry about volume, but I use the settings to limit the time she can be on her tablet.
    Thanks. Good idea, I'll check.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Very interesting thread.

I know this isn't exactly the solution, but one of the first things I noticed when I got NC headphones was that I listened to them at lower volumes than normal earbuds, as the lack of background noise makes the music seem louder (if that makes sense?). They're certainly better for you ears in this respect. Also, I'm sure the lack of distortion from decent headphones is better.

Journeyman
    The Bose QC35 are pretty impressive in cancelling out background noise. I certainly think they're worth the money but not all may agree

Blog Entries
    Noticed Bowers & Wilkins announced these cans today: http://m.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/shop/h...X-product.html

I have a pair of wireless P7's which are phenomenal so if they can achieve that level of sonics with added noise cancelling then I'm sold. With a long haul flight coming up this weekend I've ordered a pair to find out.

I have wireless p5s which I love , only thing missing is nose cancellation . Do you know if those are p5 or p7 size?

Just seen they're P7 size

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Just seen they're P7 size
    Perfect!

As some others have stated, the BOSE QC35s are superb and whilst I've never fully tested the battery life they've done a return flight from Heathrow to LA and back without being recharged. That's got to be close to 20hrs. They are slightly more expensive than £200 but if it's for your son then I would say nothing is too much. If they don't work for him you will be able to sell them with minimal loss.

A question on QC35s: When watching video (on phone or PC) on a BT connection, do videos sync properly?

I bought a pair and sent them back for a refund because video on two phones and a laptop was unwatchable. Can anyone confirm that video is watchable on a pair that works properly?

I watch video with mine all the time. iPad and Apple TV. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I watch video with mine all the time. iPad and Apple TV. Works great.
    Thanks. I'm hoping the first pair were just faulty - apart from the fact that they didn't work properly I thought they were great.