closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETA or In-House Tudor

Master

ETA or In-House Tudor

I have been offered a 18mth old Tudor 79220B with ETA movement for less than £1700. Original receipt box and papers, one owner from new. I am wondering if I should go for it or wait for a In-house 79220R to come up at a good price.
    What do the panel think? Is there a stigma attached to the older model hence the low price?

Just buy one in the colour you prefer. I like both, and will likely own both versions in black before the end of the year.
    It's just a matter of time...

Unless you need the extra power reserve ETA is more than fine. Buy and enjoy!

Banned
    I've had a few of both. The inhouse movement was more accurate and double the power reserve. I prefer the bracelet on the newer one also, the middle link isn't as wide as on the ETA version

My Tudor ETA's are as accurate as my Rolex watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    The ETA movement is tried and tested over approx 35 years. They're very robust, capable of excellent results, and the areas that suffer if the watch isn't serviced are well-understood. Replacement parts are available and still fairly cheap.

That's plenty of good reasons for choosing it, unless you get a warm feeling from knowing the movement in your watch is 'in house'.........I know which I'd be happier with.

Any reported differences in performance are probably attributable to how carefully the watch has been regulated together with different wearer patterns of activity, the longer power reserve may give a theoretical benefit but in practice I doubt it'll be noticed.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 16th March 2017 at 09:30.

Master
    There's a school of thought that says the ETA version will more sought after (due to the different dial) in years to come...

Master
    I also prefer the design of the eta variants. The rose on the crown the smiley dial etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I have the ETA. Accuracy isn't fantastic but the shorter power reserve means that isn't a big problem as it invariably stops if not worn daily. I prefer the smiley dial text and from what I've read it's thinner than the in house version. Overall I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks guys.
    Any thoughts on the value I posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Samcrow View Post
    from what I've read it's thinner than the in house version.
    Yes I was able to compare the two side by side: the in house caseback bulges whereas the ETA one is flat. The sides of the cases are identical though.

(In a way the curved back of the in house version looks like a more typical design, the bulge of the back mirroring the bezel etc. It's more the ETA watch looks like a thin version of something than the in house one looks fat, if that makes sense?)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The sides of the cases are identical though.
    Actually, this is not quite true, as the crown is a different height through the thickness of the case. The front and the back sweeps of the crown guard to the points are symmetrical on the ETA, and lop-sided on the in house.

This is an inhouse

and on the inhouse, A is smaller than B, as shown.
    On the ETA ones A=B - and to me it looks nicer.
    D

I should add that I have an ETA, and I prefer that.
    Based on looks, and the fact that it is the original.
    I have no idea whether it will become "collectable", but it has one thing going for it in that regard, they are no longer making them.
    Last edited by sweets; 16th March 2017 at 04:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Any thoughts on the value I posted?
    I bought one new at rrp and I thought it was good value at that. I don't think you'd lose much if any at £1700 so long as the condition is good.
    It's a cracking watch and I much prefer the bracelet on the ETA version. Also with the recessed case back it sits really well on the wrist. As long as the condition was good I'd buy.

I have an in house which I absolutely love but I know it'll be expensive to service. I read somewhere that the ETA black was limited to 1000 units. Maybe a future collectors item.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Actually, this is not quite true, as the crown is a different height through the thickness of the case. The front and the back sweeps of the crown guard to the points are symmetrical on the ETA, and lop-sided on the in house.
    Oops didn't think to check around the crown - I just put the two crownless sides next to one and another and they seemed the same thickness. (While talking rubbish with the very nice sales assistant who was letting me waste his time)

If you own more than a few watches or intend to wear the Tudor only casually for example, then the longer power reserve is a massive boon meaning you don't have to wind and reset it. In fact I wear my watches with a shorter power reserve less as a result. So it makes a real world difference to me. Plus reassuring to know it has a higher magnetic resistance given the modern world.

Also for me the riveted bracelet lifts what would otherwise be a standard boring Oyster imitation to having a vintage feel like the rest of the watch. Plus I prefer the straight line text rather than the smiley text which I find slightly distracting and comical. But it's all personal, inevitably people who bought in before the change will self justify their purchase.
    Last edited by mindforge; 16th March 2017 at 09:19.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

This is an inhouse

and on the inhouse, A is smaller than B, as shown.
    On the ETA ones A=B - and to me it looks nicer.
    D

I should add that I have an ETA, and I prefer that.
    Based on looks, and the fact that it is the original.
    I have no idea whether it will become "collectable", but it has one thing going for it in that regard, they are no longer making them.
    I actually noticed this when trying a Pelagos on as it was uncomfortable to wind it as the bezel got in the way. Plus the crown guards are pretty sharp. I thought as it would be an occasional watch I would be winding it a fair bit so went for the Black Bay with its larger more comfortable crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    My Tudor ETA's are as accurate as my Rolex watches.
    Mine too. I've had my BB for just over 3 years (the benefit of being able to pick them up before the full Tudor relaunch.!)

Without being fanatical about it I reckon mine is gaining no more than +3 seconds per day.

If nothing else I would hope that the longer term rarity of this watch will increase its' value...... I wish!

The best in that respect was the short run BB black bezel with the ETA

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    If nothing else I would hope that the longer term rarity of this watch will increase its' value...... I wish!

The best in that respect was the short run BB black bezel with the ETA
    I have one too, the ETA version that is; I know that it wasn't produced for long before the in-house version was launched but it would be interesting to know just how many were manufactured. I have heard people saying they were told by their AD it was "fewer than a thousand" but that sounds a bit woolly. It would be good to have a definitive answer to put the "rarity" of the watch into context.

Quite how you would obtain a definitive answer I have no idea ? as Rolex seem to be so secretive about everything.

D