closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch collecting guilt pangs

Watch collecting guilt pangs

I enjoy all my watches and usually only spend what I can afford to spend but all my spare cash does go towards the hobby.

Do any of you have moments when you look at the watch your wearing and think, I can't believe I spent so much on a watch, what the hell is wrong with me!

Okay, I admit to having an addiction and could probably do with seeking some professional help but am I the only one with these strange feelings?

It's when I look at the ones in the box that I'm not wearing that I have those feelings rather than when I'm wearing it!

Craftsman
    Nope. Work had & money is for spending. Can see where you are coming from but family comes first - anything left its beer, fishing, hifi or watches

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It's when I look at the ones in the box that I'm not wearing that I have those feelings rather than when I'm wearing it!
    I feel the same and often wonder if I'd be happier with just one.

Craftsman
    I think I am obsessive compulsive by nature. I have gone through phases of buying, selling and trading golf clubs, high end AV and hi-if equipment, cars, etc. This comes out of disposable income, not debt - and all outgoings are paid for first. Family never suffers as a result of my interests. I work hard and feel I deserve to spend my income as I wish. I have little guilt about this.

My wife is fairly understanding of my 'hobbies'. When I announced to her I was going to start a watch collection last year, she looked at me, rolled her eyes and chuckled as if to say 'here we go again'.... She generously goes to the post office for me to drop off parcels for me when I need her to.

I think I am lucky to have an understanding wife, but generally find it is partners who make us feel guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Nope. Work had & money is for spending. Can see where you are coming from but family comes first - anything left its beer, fishing, hifi or watches
    It's not the money for me, I just feel guilty having watches I don't wear sat in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I feel the same and often wonder if I'd be happier with just one.
    I have thought the same on occasion, however part of the enjoyment is having the variety to choose from. If I ever got bored or found another more interesting hobby, I would probably consolodate but not before then

It's not the money for me, I just feel guilty having watches I don't wear sat in the box.
    If you never wear them, why do you keep them out of interest? Investment purposes?

Journeyman

Sweeping generalisation here but when most of us started working getting to the end of the month with a hundred quid in your pocket was a result. Even when I started earning I thought guys at work with rolexes were off their heads. A first 'expensive' watch for me was an Oris, even with that I had to go outside and phone a friend for moral support before I bought it. 20 years later spending not insignificant amounts of money I console myself with this. Of all the things I've blown money on over the years, partying, cars, hifi, etc it turns out buying expense watches is one of the most sensible things I've done.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I often have mixed feelings. Looking down at the watch on the wrist (especially most of what I have now), I always gaze too long and still have no idea what the time is. Then I think about the money I have 'invested' in them and I think something is wrong with me :)

I sometimes reduce the numbers, but then the mindset comes back that I don't have enough choice and money burning a hole...!

Quote Originally Posted by scorchio View Post
    Sweeping generalisation here but when most of us started working getting to the end of the month with a hundred quid in your pocket was a result. Even when I started earning I thought guys at work with rolexes were off their heads. A first 'expensive' watch for me was an Oris, even with that I had to go outside and phone a friend for moral support before I bought it. 20 years later spending not insignificant amounts of money I console myself with this. Of all the things I've blown money on over the years, partying, cars, hifi, etc it turns out buying expense watches is one of the most sensible things I've done.

I have justified my watch spending in exactly this manner many times.....there are far worse thing to spend money on (in terms of value retention). After all a holiday simply becomes a distant memory whereas a watch is for life :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I often have mixed feelings. Looking down at the watch on the wrist (especially most of what I have now), I always gaze too long and still have no idea what the time is. Then I think about the money I have 'invested' in them and I think something is wrong with me :)

I sometimes reduce the numbers, but then the mindset comes back that I don't have enough choice and money burning a hole...!
    I'm glad it's not just me!!!

Master
    Nope, I feel it regularly too.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I think there would be something wrong if you didn't feel a pang if guilt every now and then, we all know that sensibly we can only wear one at a time so owning multiple is an extravagance but I take the opinion that if these purchases are not to the detriment to my other commitments and family life then I should enjoy the pleasure I derive from them.

Occasionally I sell a few then eventually buy a couple more, I would suggest I am still minor league compared to many others but I look at my first Rolex purchased this week and think that I have 4 grand on my wrist is crazy, but it makes me smile and it's as good as money in the bank with the pitiful interest rate, so I will try and enjoy it and push any of those pangs of guilt to the back of my mind. If they become too much or I need the cash then I'll sell it.

Master
    Sad to say I only wear the same watch all the time as its tritium and easily readable so I can actually tell the time. All the watches in the box, stay in the box I'm ashamed to admit. I buy them, look at them sometimes and will eventually sell them but they were certainly not bought as an investment.

I've never spent more than I could easily afford so not really. I do feel the "need" though to offset a new major spend by selling one or more.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I think a lot of us on here have a common personality trait as 'gear guys'. I have several vices, Hi-fi, good shoes, good whisky, etc. When I get interested in something I tend to obsess about getting the best thing I possibly can in that genre.

You see the same behaviours across a lot of interests in G&D.
    Last edited by TimeThoughts; 18th March 2017 at 21:22.

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    If you never wear them, why do you keep them out of interest? Investment purposes?
    They're certainly not for investment and every so often I may wear one for a day or so.

Master
    My watches are largely bought for investment purposes, so no (read that as simply beating the awful interest rates, and stops me spending g a hundred here and there on something frivolous)

I don't know if i would be able to justify the majority of my watches if buying with wages.

Sounds like a real cliche but since receiving my Submariner this week I am seriously considering selling all other watches (bar a beater) im wondering if this is guilt driven so trying not to do anything hasty

Grand Master
    I never worry about it, but if the market for watches (vintage in particular) plummeted I`d be more concerned. Much as I like owning them I also view them as an asset that holds/increases in value.

Provided you or your nearest and dearest aren`t going without stuff to feed your watch habit I don`t see a problem. My wife thinks I`m crazy for owning so many, but she doesn`t mind.

If you're frequently buying watches then selling them at a loss it's costing you money and that's the point to ask yourself some questions. At the end of the day they're only watches.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Sounds like a real cliche but since receiving my Submariner this week I am seriously considering selling all other watches (bar a beater) im wondering if this is guilt driven so trying not to do anything hasty
    I would suggest holding fire. It's good to have variety and guilt it definitely driving your thinking

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I never worry about it, but if the market for watches (vintage in particular) plummeted I`d be more concerned. Much as I like owning them I also view them as an asset that holds/increases in value.

Provided you or your nearest and dearest aren`t going without stuff to feed your watch habit I don`t see a problem. My wife thinks I`m crazy for owning so many, but the doesn`t mind.

If you're frequently buying watches then selling them at a loss it's costing you money and that's the point to ask yourself some questions. At the end of the day they're only watches, they're not going to change your life, getting a nicer watch doesn`t alter things and it might only make you happier in the short term.

Paul

Craftsman
    As someone said, it's only really the watches that don't get regular wear that I feel a little guilty about...but then I just put it back into rotation.

I sometimes feel my watches don't get the full use THEY deserve, but, hey, I've only got one left arm!

Journeyman
    Same here! And I find myself wanting something else very quickly...

Im a weirdo with this situation.

Not sounding big headed ( and I do hate this saying), I have the money in the bank, like most of you chaps, and could afford to buy several watches I like if and when I wanted, but I dont...I sit there and look at the money in the account doing eff all for me interest wise and think...'no I may need that for a rainy day'. I need to talk myself into buying luxury goods that I have worked my arse off for in reality, then worry 'What if that money is needed in a few months etc.' after I do make the purchase and then start enjoying it afterwards, but believe me it is an uneasy period for me (I do suffer from a bit of anxiety). I do the exact same with cars!

My father died in 2009 at 56 years old and left money for my mother that we didn't know he had, not sure he did either to be honest, he never got to enjoy his hard earned after all those years of saving and working hard to earn a few more crusts for the retirement fund. I often think of that and a saying from the late Colin McRae

"you're here for a good time, not a long time!"

I enjoy all my watches and usually only spend what I can afford to spend but all my spare cash does go towards the hobby.

Do any of you have moments when you look at the watch your wearing and think, I can't believe I spent so much on a watch, what the hell is wrong with me!

Okay, I admit to having an addiction and could probably do with seeking some professional help but am I the only one with these strange feelings?
    Yes, a million time yes. That's why I bought one last daily wearer and I'm selling my collection - I'm done with this addiction :)

Apprentice
    I don't have guilt. The money I spend doesn't impact the family in any way. But there is a bit of guilt in that I get more enjoyment from looking for the next purchase than from ownership. And that's the same for tech/cars as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Samcrow View Post
    I don't have guilt. The money I spend doesn't impact the family in any way. But there is a bit of guilt in that I get more enjoyment from looking for the next purchase than from ownership. And that's the same for tech/cars as well.

This.

I get more enjoyment these days from the thrill of planning a new watch and trying to find it than actually owning some of my watches

Master
    Depends on which watches u buy but i have a collection of watches that would make anyone doubt my sanity....But for me it's like u keep £15K in an cash isa earning 0.5%? or u buy a Patek Nautilus? It's like a no brainer. Assuming one has properties, Investment funds and pensions that are being supplanted on a regular basis, I treat my watches as an extension "exotic" investments. Primarily it's because they can be liquidated with utmost ease, with the weak GBP it also acts as a fantastic way to hedge currency devaluation as a Rolex or Patek or AP will appreciate in GBP terms of GBP tanks even more which i feel it may very well do. Unlike purchasing other "gear" like tech stuff watches are very good i feel. That's what i tell myself anyway LOL

Know how you feel, i managed to get to the dizzy heights of 6 watches, it was then i realised i was a wearer not a collector, couldn't stand having watches going unworn, so reduced the number to 4 and couldn't be happier in due course the number will probably be reduced further.

No guilt. Paid for with disposable income after everything else covered. Long game for my collection with the knowledge of easy liquidation if required.

On paper a lot of money 'invested' in watches, but that is the point for me, it is invested on something I enjoy and not disposed of on a rapidly depreciating asset and particularly Vs current ISA rates I am comfortable with my decision.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

No guilt. We're all different, but watches are not so important to me that I would ever spend more than money I don't really have to think about on them. I'm sure if I was using money that was needed elsewhere I'd feel guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Guilty? No.

Watches come first, after that it's motorbikes, then family, food and cars - probably in that order ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Guilty? No.

Watches come first, after that it's motorbikes, then family, food and cars - probably in that order ;)
    Hmmm definitely not in that order if you know what's good for you :-)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Hmmm definitely not in that order if you know what's good for you :-)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
    He lives on the IOM, I'm surprised that watches come before motorbikes!

Bit of a newcomer to the watch addiction. On my days off I do sometimes look at it and think "bloody hell 2K for something that tells the time" then I remind myself that wifey probably spends that a year in clothes and all I need is a plentiful supply of pants, socks and T shirts and I'm good to go. She also needs jewellery that compliments her outfit. So I look at my watches and think... yes they're expensive but it's a gentleman's singular accessory and as gents we're relatively low maintenance elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    Know how you feel, i managed to get to the dizzy heights of 6 watches, it was then i realised i was a wearer not a collector, couldn't stand having watches going unworn, so reduced the number to 4 and couldn't be happier in due course the number will probably be reduced further.
    Same goes for me. I currently have 7 watches and the plan is to get down to just 3 or 4 that get worn on a regular basis. One piece on steel, another on leather and a quartz diver for swimming. That's all I need really.

I don't think I've ever felt guilty as such but at times it feels a bit pointless owning multiple expensive watches when i can only wear one, in the past I've found myself changing watch 3 (or more) times a day - how odd is that!? I've never thought of them as an investment but it's good to know you could always get the majority of the money back if needed, not something you could do with cars etc. My fascination / obsession doesn't extend to other interests, i like the fact that i can try different watches and sell them on easily without losing too much. I went through a phase years ago of changing cars every few months (bought 2 Alfa Romeos off eBay in one afternoon) but i soon got fed up as it was costing a fortune.

I've sold off most of my expensive watches recently and part of the motivation (along with the money coming in handy) was that with so many i ended up not appreciating each one on its merits - they were just another slot in the watch box. I've bought back a grand Seiko i sold on here a few months ago and when that arrives it will be my only expensive (as in over £1000) watch. We'll see but i think this time round I'll be able to get more out of it as it won't be constantly competing with others.

Blog Entries
    Depends on what you buy

Personally I really enjoy my hobby and occasionally suffer from 'post purchase dissonance', but, can generally justify it to myself and others as some of the watches in my box are appreciating assets...

Double whammy... I enjoy it and it may well be better than having the money in the bank

Quote Originally Posted by paddy1911 View Post
    I don't think I've ever felt guilty as such but at times it feels a bit pointless owning multiple expensive watches when i can only wear one, in the past I've found myself changing watch 3 (or more) times a day - how odd is that!? I've never thought of them as an investment but it's good to know you could always get the majority of the money back if needed, not something you could do with cars etc. My fascination / obsession doesn't extend to other interests, i like the fact that i can try different watches and sell them on easily without losing too much. I went through a phase years ago of changing cars every few months (bought 2 Alfa Romeos off eBay in one afternoon) but i soon got fed up as it was costing a fortune.

I've sold off most of my expensive watches recently and part of the motivation (along with the money coming in handy) was that with so many i ended up not appreciating each one on its merits - they were just another slot in the watch box. I've bought back a grand Seiko i sold on here a few months ago and when that arrives it will be my only expensive (as in over £1000) watch. We'll see but i think this time round I'll be able to get more out of it as it won't be constantly competing with others.
    I also change watches throughout the day. Always thought that was odd but it's one of the benefits of having 16 watches to choose from 😨

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

I too sometimes feel "why do I need more than one watch?" also my line of work doesn't allow me to circulate or wear a watch (apart from a cheap digital).But there are times when I go out or just sit at home with a beer and pic out one to wear.Yes I may have too many, about 15 atm ,but like others have mentioned ,my kids have shoes on their feet and food on the table.I work hard and watches are my little treat,I buy if I like, not for investment (maybe I should start to do this? ) Purchased a
    G shock yesterday because I liked it (although I have 2 of the same model) and I can't see me making on that ,but hey ho...

I feel it with respect to holidays. I don't particularly care about holidays but my family do. I can feel myself looking at my wrist sometimes and thinking...hmmmm...that's two weeks in Florida for everyone.... they'd like that.

But I get over it pretty quickly. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. Sometimes I get a bit do I need to have x amount tied up in watches? Then I let a couple go and feel reassured by a higher figure in my savings account. Then something else comes along. The only comfort is that the bits I do own I can safely consider liquid so if there was a crisis I could release the cash to sort it in a couple of days.
    I dont have kids and am self sufficient so the only person affected by my spending is me so i don't feel any pressure to provide family holidays etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    Ditto.Now got the collection down to 3 and that's it.It's one in one out from now as i don't see the point if i am not wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    I feel it with respect to holidays. I don't particularly care about holidays but my family do. I can feel myself looking at my wrist sometimes and thinking...hmmmm...that's two weeks in Florida for everyone.... they'd like that.

But I get over it pretty quickly. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Love it and agree completely. Who needs a nice holiday when you can buy a new watch which you will enjoy for longer!!!

I don't feel guilty from a financial point of view as I've never bought on credit and I reckon if I took my time I could sell them all and not lose any money. I did in the past feel slightly guilty about having watches that I never wore - I can't see the point in that. Consequently I've gradually worked down from a high of 25 watches to my current 12. I now wear them all in rotation and I'm comfortable with that - it's very rare for me to wear the same watch two days running.

Having said that I suspect my wife has no idea how much my collection is worth...!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I don't feel guilty from a financial point of view as I've never bought on credit and I reckon if I took my time I could sell them all and not lose any money. I did in the past feel slightly guilty st having watches that I never wore - I can't see the point in that. Consequently I've gradually worked down from a high of 25 watches to my current 12. I now wear them all in rotation and I'm comfortable with that - it's very rare for me to wear the same watch two days running.

Having said that I suspect my wife has no idea how much my collection is worth...!

Simon

Never ever tell the wife the value of the collection. She will use it to justify spending more on bags, shoes or whatever she may be into.
    Last edited by ataripower; 19th March 2017 at 13:54.

I must admit I have thought about watches in a sort of guilty way in the past (especially when I had hundreds) as TBH they are just baubles, male jewellery if you like, that really serve no purpose today.

I guess if you spend the money on fishing, musical instruments, golf etc etc it is a means to an end - watches just sit there looking at you.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

He lives on the IOM, I'm surprised that watches come before motorbikes!
    Only because I don't have that much spare room for too many more bikes, and there is always more space for extra watches ;)

Although there is a lot of space out at the farm in Oz for more bikes, but with speed limits of mostly 110kph, it's

Plus I've been riding bikes for 40 years, only collecting watches for about 24, so it's all still very new in comparison ;)

My kids don't go without anything they need, but I'm not spoiling them with lots of crap just because I could - I might help them through Uni in a few years time, so maybe the watch buying will be dulled for a few years at that stage. When they eventually start working they can do what they like with their money too.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 19th March 2017 at 15:20.
    It's just a matter of time...