closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 170mph through Cornwall

170mph through Cornwall

Tough watching this and RIP but really - 170mph?

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/footag...ail/story.html

Craftsman
    "A few yards after passing over Loggans Roundabout at Hayle, the other rider collided head-on with a car and was killed."

They forgot the "after being punted across the road by a car". Wonder if the driver looked before manoeuvring? (is that how you spell manoevering?)

Journeyman
    As a biker and car/van driver it's not nice to watch and I can see fault on both sides. Although I would be swayed on this to say the driver is more at fault for not checking mirrors/blind spot before moving out.

The chevron area was clear as he moved out around the car so he was not in the wrong on that part.

Master
    Unfortunately riding like idiots.....and the sort that give bikers a very bad name. Very little care and consideration for other road users, and 'bullied' past several cars, forcing oncoming to evade.

I'm a biker...and don't mind pressing on, but these blokes were daft. Shame that one lost his life, and I feel for his family, but I also feel a smidge for the driver who (somewhat carelessly pulled out for a dodgy overtake himself), only expecting for the oncoming to avoid, and not for a biker to overtake at 100 mph plus...

There really are some pillocks on the road...in cars and on bikes (and don't get me started on van drivers...).

Clearly, I'm sure that Mulliner86 is an atypical and great van driver...;-)
    Last edited by Pete D; 11th April 2017 at 18:28.

If you want to risk your own life that's fine, but other people also use the roads.
    No sympathy.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Bikers- were they driving like complete idiots who could've caused several accidents earlier on? Yes.

Car- did the driver check their mirrors? Who knows. Maybe they did but then some idiot suddenly popped out accelerating past 100mph which they reasonably wouldn't expect.

Its sad someone died but hardly unexpected considering the brain dead way they were driving.

We can only speculate as the camera angle doesn't show true speed of the guy involved but the car driver could well of looked in his mirror and checked blind spot, the biker could have excelerated at a speed that the driver would never have seen him.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Bikers- were they driving like complete idiots who could've caused several accidents earlier on? Yes.

Car- did the driver check their mirrors? Who knows. Maybe they did but then some idiot suddenly popped out accelerating past 100mph which they reasonably wouldn't expect.

Its sad someone died but hardly unexpected considering the brain dead way they were driving.
    This. Totally awful riding from the bikes. Anticipation of what other road users might reasonably do, within their (correctly) speed-limited bubble, was non existent.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    170 is for the track only.

Master
    Pretty sickening tbh.
    At first I thought it was the cars fault but when the car is starting its manoeuvre the bike is behind the other car so he couldn't have seen him.
    The bike actually sees the car pulling out and either misjudges his speed reduction or simply can't reduce it quick enough to avoid clipping the car leading to disaster.
    The term "drive it like you stole it' comes to mind.
    RIP though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    We can only speculate as the camera angle doesn't show true speed of the guy involved but the car driver could well of looked in his mirror and checked blind spot, the biker could have excelerated at a speed that the driver would never have seen him.
    Indeed, but the following rider was clocking 100mph and the soon-to-be dead bloke was pulling away from him. Thus, probably riding at 110 ish....

Either way, dynamic situation, just off a roundabout, oncoming traffic....busy. Not the place to ride like loons (or indeed drive badly).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    170 is for the track only.
    Or Germany...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Or Germany...
    But not Kernow for sure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    "A few yards after passing over Loggans Roundabout at Hayle, the other rider collided head-on with a car and was killed."

They forgot the "after being punted across the road by a car". Wonder if the driver looked before manoeuvring? (is that how you spell manoevering?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulliner86 View Post
    As a biker and car/van driver it's not nice to watch and I can see fault on both sides. Although I would be swayed on this to say the driver is more at fault for not checking mirrors/blind spot before moving out.

The chevron area was clear as he moved out around the car so he was not in the wrong on that part.
    I doubt the driver could clock him in his wing mirror him he must have been doing over a ton when he pulled out to fly past him, the biker left himself no room to react. far too fast and far to close.

It's difficult to feel a great deal of sympathy here. The bikers were riding like utter lunatics with a total disregard for any other road users. There were several points at which they could easily have caused accidents in which innocent drivers and perhaps their families could have been seriously injured or killed.

A bike traveling at that sort of speed would have immense kinetic energy and could easily total a car.

The rider has paid the ultimate price for his selfish stupidity. I'm just glad he didn't kill anyone else in the process.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    It's difficult to feel a great deal of sympathy here. The bikers were riding like utter lunatics with a total disregard for any other road users. There were several points at which they could easily have caused accidents in which innocent drivers and perhaps their families could have been seriously injured or killed.

A bike traveling at that sort of speed would have immense kinetic energy and could easily total a car.

The rider has paid the ultimate price for his selfish stupidity. I'm just glad he didn't kill anyone else in the process.
    This.

It's difficult to have sympathy for someone who's dead though I feel sympathy for his family, they're the ones who will have to live with this. Them and the driver of the car the rider hit.

Glad that no-one else was killed or injured, a shame that anyone had to die. Hopefully this video release of a poor example of road craft will prevent other incidents in the future.

Grand Master
    As others say, motorcyclist is at fault for doing over 100mph at moment of impact, but watching it again, you have to wonder what the car was doing overtaking in that scenario, not a great fan of cars that do this on roads with this type of layout (hatch markings with broken white border), those markings tend to be used for a reason.

That video in some places really made my arse clench, as others have said, no consideration for others around and all it would take is a momentary lapse which is probably what happened.

Yup. This. One of my friends is an avid biker and although he's been on various advanced biking courses, track days etc he has this insatiable appetite to push his luck. I've been on the back twice (never again). Last time I had to tell him to pull over and have a massive go at him. His response "well I had to get it to a 120 on these roads" (whilst weaving in and out of cars doing national). He's also "Had to get his knee down" a fair few times so he tells me.

Not tarring all bikers with the same brush but it does seem to be a recurring theme with some of them and if someone buzzes past you at a ton plus you have very little sight of them or time to react when you're in a car. At least with a car you have more chance of seeing them. (And yes there are many idiot car drivers too)

Tragic and he had no chance but like so many on here have said... that sort of riding should be reserved for the track.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any loss of life is sad. Little consideration for other road users and their level of their skill, awareness and frailties. Think the driver had little chance, so lucky it was only one fatality.

Want to race? Do a track day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moronic selfish idiots riding in a moronic selfish idiotic way. thankfully they didn’t take anyone else's life or cause life changing injuries to other road users.
    motorists/motorcyclists who speed and treat the highway as their race track really are thick as shit.

take it to the track or learn to control yourself. tossers.

Master
    You ride like those guys and it's only a matter of time before your luck runs out.
    Sad but inevitable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcata View Post
    Want to race? Do a track day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You aren't allowed to race on track days......

Just sayin..

Blog Entries
    The guy with the dash cam had some narrow escapes himself. The guy in front of him was most of the time not in sight of the camera. Fair chance that he was even faster. You can point at the guy with the car making a wrong move. But then again, he was simply too fast. Seconds before the accident, the speedo in front of the camera showed '100', going down a little into the '80's, the bike in front gained distance, hence it's fair to assume that bike was still doing 100 mph... Whats' the speed limit on that road? 50 mph?

Having said that, any loss of life is a sad thing. Despite the fact that we don't feel very sorry for him (her), he or she still got parents, relatives and friends who stay behind.

Menno

Unfortunately this is a prime example of "speed kills". I love riding my bikes and speed is a big part of that thrill, but experience has taught me to choose those moments wisely.

Regardless of fault, I've always told my boys that being 6ft under but not to blame does not make it better, your dead! Ride to the ability of the vehicles around you, as their reactions and awareness will generally be slower than yours, and when it comes to collisions, bike and rider never fair well.

My eldest is about to complete his A2 restricted license, so this is one of many videos I will continue to show him. Not great to watch, but important for others too see.

Sympathies to both driver and family of the killed biker. Very sad indeed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Horrible. We go up the peak district on nice days in the mini, take picnic etc. Some of the bikers riding around there are total planks. Scares me sometimes thinking just one wrong move from one of them and there bike would be like a missile ripping through the mini. Makes me laugh when i see the signs 'Think Bikers!'. Should be the other way around.

Screw him, riding like pure bell ends. No driver on 50mph roads can be blamed for not spotting something as small as a bike travelling at over 100mph towards them. Imagine how the poor driver is going to feel for the rest of their lives, the guilt, the nightmares, lifelong effects of some selfish idiot

170mph through Cornwall

You aren't allowed to race on track days......

Just sayin..
    You knew what I meant mate ....
    Last edited by Falcata; 12th April 2017 at 06:27.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Unfortunately this is a prime example of "speed kills". I love riding my bikes and speed is a big part of that thrill, but experience has taught me to choose those moments wisely.

Regardless of fault, I've always told my boys that being 6ft under but not to blame does not make it better, your dead! Ride to the ability of the vehicles around you, as their reactions and awareness will generally be slower than yours, and when it comes to collisions, bike and rider never fair well.

My eldest is about to complete his A2 restricted license, so this is one of many videos I will continue to show him. Not great to watch, but important for others too see.

Sympathies to both driver and family of the killed biker. Very sad indeed.
    When i took my bike test 30 years ago the instructor announced that out of the 15 of us in the room 8 would be dead in 10 years due to a motorcycle accident.

Never forgot that.

Sad to read so many sheeple who believe the posted speed limit is necessarily the 'right' one. For sure in this case the rider who died was exceeding any common-sense limit, but there are (many) times when exceeding the posted limit is safe and often safER on a large capacity bike (e.g. when overtaking). Limits are set for many reasons - political, environmental, legal, the huge number of fines/course vs deaths suggests they're no always correctly set........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Sad to read so many sheeple who believe the posted speed limit is necessarily the 'right' one. For sure in this case the rider who died was exceeding any common-sense limit, but there are (many) times when exceeding the posted limit is safe and often safER on a large capacity bike (e.g. when overtaking). Limits are set for many reasons - political, environmental, legal, the huge number of fines/course vs deaths suggests they're no always correctly set........
    You are, of course, correct in that it is perfectly acceptable to minimise your time on the wrong side of the road during an overtake by temporarily exceeding the speed limit. Indeed, that is the message given on Police-run courses. Further, 'progressing' in National Limit zones is also not frowned upon. However, you have to be able to react to unforeseen events, and thus need to remain within reasonable limits (with the exception of built up areas 20 and 30 mph zones, which, due to potential of kids running out etc, should be observed). These blokes were so out of control, bullying other drivers and obviously 'couldn't give a toss'. It was an accident waiting to happen in every way.

Even the majority of Autobahns have limits. Whilst I agree that many in the UK are imposed for political reasons, and seemingly to generate cash, at least we have a bit of flex if it is a cop checking and not a scamera...

Real shame. They are both pushing their luck riding like that - it's only a matter of time unfortunately.

Initially I thought the car driver was to blame but actually I dont think they stood any chance of seeing the bikes approaching at that speed. I feel bad for the bikers family but the guy who pulled out and the guy the motorbiker hit both have to live with this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    This.
    This, for sure!

I regularly see motorcyclists taking huge risks, but many seem to think they have God given skills to allow them carry out manouevres that I suspect they'd wince at if they were sitting back watching themselves...

Interesting too, that they're often quick to blame drivers for errors, but never take into account drivers slowing to avoid an, otherwise, inevitable accident. Looked to be 2 or 3 scenarios like that during that video, to me, although distance is difficult to be sure of on a video, of course.

Sure there are (probably many) cases where car drivers' inattention plays a big part, but oddly Motorcyclists rarely seem to think they're in any way responsible.

Good to see some active motorcyclists here agreeing the motorcyclists in this case bear the bulk of the blame (if not all of it - If a bike comes up at you at a getting on for 100MPH closing speed, there are good odds that you never see it appear between looking in your mirror and turning! The driver probably looked while the bike was behind the car behind him and therefore had no idea he was likely to be trying to pass).

M
    Last edited by snowman; 12th April 2017 at 09:20.

Sad for all involved, but as an ex-biker myself, I feel these bikers were building towards this inevitable outcome sooner or later. That is not the way to ride on busy public highways. Save it for the track. RIP and sympathy to the people all caught up in this avoidable disaster. Makes for cringe worthy viewing.

It very much looks to me that the car driver makes the decision to move when the motorbike is still one car behind, if he checked his mirrors at that point he would not have seen the motorbike coming, once he starts to pull out he will be watching ahead and not in his mirrors because well lets be honest you're not going to be expecting someone to try to overtake you while you overtake someone else are you?

A sad sad end to the rider but they were an accident waiting to happen, the 2nd rider had a number of close shaves too and I hope they learnt something from this.

Master
    Whether you agree with the law or not, it is the law. The older I get the less time I have for anti social behaviour of any kind. Speeding, drink driving etc, all puts innocent lives at risk and should be punished as such imo. It's part random chance whether the risk taking results in your death or that of an innocent person. I feel the justice system often overlooks the almost immeasurable impact on the victims, or potential victims. Riding at 170 on public roads should be lifetime ban, huge financial fine and/or prison. I'm not advocating draconian action ie removal of hands for stealing but I do recognise it's effectiveness in reducing reoffending.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    When i took my bike test 30 years ago the instructor announced that out of the 15 of us in the room 8 would be dead in 10 years due to a motorcycle accident.

Never forgot that.
    Two weeks after I took and passed my full test 20 years ago, my instructor who was a lovely bloke died under the wheels of a lorry. I never got on a bike again.

Master
    Had a mate killed 3 years ago on 1st of June.....very experienced safe rider with 2 young daughters...

Riding safely at the limit behind a car, car went around a curve in the road and was hit head on by 2 dickheads on bikes racing each other..

My mate got taken out in the smash... which resulted in 2 dead (him and one of the racers) and the 3rd chap lost a leg and an arm...

Not a good day

My mate was 2 miles from home:-(

I have no issue with pushing on - however, you ride/drive to the conditions and always *always* consider other road users reaction times and hazard hotspots if you are making progress.

One bit of advice that has always stuck with me is not to just look at what the vehicle in front of you is doing; but to pay equal attention to the one in front of them. Anticipation and awareness is everything and this incident was entirely avoidable.

I live close to the A39 in Devon and it's regularly used by a certain type of motorcyclist as a race venue, as the numerous spots along the road with flowers marking deaths will attest. In fact riders travel here in their holidays just to do what these two were doing.

To be honest yet another death isn't something to remark on, other than the unusual speed they were obviously both going whilst 'playing'. Thankfully they didn't hurt anyone else this time as is often the case unfortunately and to be honest I'm not overly sad to see another that won't be a risk to others in the future and I speak as a long-term member of the bike riding fraternity that included the odd circuit of Thruxton, back in the day. Riders like these are just liabilities and we don't need them behaving like that down here, or anywhere else come to that..

Watching the dash cam footage was pretty sickening for much of it but obviously more so in the final second. It looked like the chap who died had the hump that the rider with the dash cam had pulled in front of him after the roundabout and was keen to put some rubber down. It also doesn't look like he was paying attention to the movement of the cars ahead. Devastatingly irresponsible riding by both of them. Equally irresponsible driving by the car that nudged the motorcyclist but in all honesty, could they have anticipated the fact that a motorcyclist would be approaching their rear end at illegal speed? I don't know but what I do know is, the driver and the family of the dead motorcyclist will have to bounce that question around in their own minds until they are sick of it.

Had a mate killed 3 years ago on 1st of June.....very experienced safe rider with 2 young daughters...

Riding safely at the limit behind a car, car went around a curve in the road and was hit head on by 2 dickheads on bikes racing each other..

My mate got taken out in the smash... which resulted in 2 dead (him and one of the racers) and the 3rd chap lost a leg and an arm...

Not a good day

My mate was 2 miles from home:-(
    Sorry to hear that, very tragic.

Nearly got taken out myself this Sunday under the same circumstances. Luckily I was positioned correctly far left approaching a tight right hand bend however biker coming the other way wasn't and drifted on my side of the road as he was taking the corner. Seen this so many times where bikers road positioning combined with looking where they don't want to go has caused unnecessary danger. Luckily I was able to slow down so I kept my road position far left / kerbside, otherwise it would have been a head on collision.

Was seriously pissed off, especially as being experienced yourself offers little protection due to the actions of other less abled riders. Of course the other problem is you quickly have to shut your brain down soon afterwards once it starts saying "what if you had taken that bend normally..........."

I ride most days of the week, but I have concluded over the years that sunny Sundays are statistically not good for a riders health.

That video just sums up what is wrong with some riders, doing those speeds on busy roads is just crazy. When we use to ride we did some stupid speeds etc but we knew what we where doing far to many bikers just buy fast bikes have terrible control and even worse anticipation. You could see the car was speeding up to the car in front to overtake it but even then a calm head would have just nipped round it, guess he got some target fixation and panicked and paid the ultimate price. Like others have said I feel for the driver he has to live with killing someone even tho he was at no fault bikes going at 100mph plus come up so fast he had no chance to seeing him.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    So many sheeple? Where?

On this thread I read a bunch of folk (and lots being bikers by the look of it) saying the guy was driving too fast for the conditions. Using a death to bang a drum about a bee in your own bonnet is a bit odd.
    Did I refer to 'on here'?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    When we use to ride we did some stupid speeds etc but we knew what we where doing....
    Presumably the majority of injured/dead riders thought similar and that's the problem. Individuals should not decide they are skilled enough to ignore the law.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Did I refer to 'on here'?
    You said "It's sad to read so many sheepies" banging on about speed limits (when none actually were). So where else were you "reading" about people talking about speed limits if it wasn't on here?

It was very odd to try and make a pro speeding argument on a post about a case where excessive speed clearly caused a fatality.

I'm perfectly fine with the speed limits on our roads, accidents will always happen and as this example shows more speed increases the likelihood of an accident occurring and the subsequent outcome being worse.

My wife's uncle was killed in a hit and run by a speeding driver and only last month an aquintance was killed in an accident with a bike where speed is likely to have been a factor so I've seen the devastation that these incidents cause. So forgive me if I'm not willing to ignore a "few" deaths on the roads just so you can drive whatever speed you think is acceptable.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 12th April 2017 at 13:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

Regardless of fault, I've always told my boys that being 6ft under but not to blame does not make it better, your dead!
    Well put.

Anyone who's ridden a bike or driven a performance car knows that when you're overtaking, drivers will just pull out without looking, and therefore it's on us to avoid them. Knowing that they shouldn't do that doesn't help you when you're dead.

I have had a few interesting moments in my time, passing motorway traffic at high relative speeds in the Lotus, and I now positively expect other drivers to do something stupid every time I pass them. It's very simple; your relative speed should be low enough to allow you to take evasive action if someone pulls out. The biker broke that rule and it cost him his life.

Bikes are not inherently dangerous but they are very vulnerable amongst cars, and the rush of speed and acceleration is exciting, addictive, and leads you to take risks you shouldn't.