closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Daytona - now I know why the hype....

Ceramic Daytona - now I know why the hype....

Tried one on at an indie in Leics today

The staff were great

They always have some nice used stock

2017 watch all sticketed up £15750

It just looked the dogs

He said was getting a white face off same guy next week!

I'd be cutting out the jeweller myself surely???

Master
    For that kind of money I'd rather have this.

Master
    Black face looks too 'TAG' so it'd have to be white...

I tried this one on this week, stickers removed - £14.3k. I think the bigger bezel makes the watch look bigger on the wrist. If only...

Craftsman
    Tried this on.
    It was rrp only problem was... Not mine

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Black face looks too 'TAG' so it'd have to be white...
    That's exactly the way I've described it before. However, I dislike the bezel on the white. The contrast between the dial and the bezel just looks wrong to me.

I put my name down for the black and got the call just over a week ago. It's an elegant watch but not sure if it's £9k nice. We'll see how I warm to it.

I'm (unusually!) not a Daytona fan, but I love the 'dinghy' hour markers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post

I like that. Not the rubber strap, but everything else. Might be nice on leather.

Master
    In a couple of months I'll have had this a year - pure class 😎

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian. View Post
    That's exactly the way I've described it before. However, I dislike the bezel on the white. The contrast between the dial and the bezel just looks wrong to me.

I put my name down for the black and got the call just over a week ago. It's an elegant watch but not sure if it's £9k nice. We'll see how I warm to it.
    Nice try!

I think I'm in a minority in preferring the black dial, although the smart money is on white. I'm going to visit a couple of ADs and see if I can go on the waiting list, although I fully expect to be laughed at.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I think I'm in a minority in preferring the black dial, although the smart money is on white. I'm going to visit a couple of ADs and see if I can go on the waiting list, although I fully expect to be laughed at.

D
    If you want to see one in the flesh, pop into Miltons. Goldsmiths, Liverpool One will put you on the list but give you the speech about how names go off to head office and that there is currently a 7 year waiting list.

What is the model number of the one with the grey dial and rubber strap please?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes1 View Post
    What is the model number of the one with the grey dial and rubber strap please?

116519LN

Perfect...thanks for your prompt reply. ...it looks lovely

I'm growing to like it which does concern me!

Having been to two Liverpool ADs today

Goldsmiths: Dismissive bordering on rude, at least 10 year wait, won't take names

DMR: Lovely attitude. Took my details but don't have a list, and can't say how they choose who they sell to.

As an aside, I looked at the Speedy Moon in DMR, and aesthetically I think it's a lot more attractive than the Daytona. It does make me question what my motivation is for the Daytona, which is probably a combination of statement piece / asset more than watch

Dave

Interestingly, the Rolex website gives prices for all the Daytonas except in platinum, which says "price on request" - wonder why that is? Can't see why platinum prices are more sensitive to precious metal market fluctuations than gold ..... not sure what I was looking mind - not even remotely in my price bracket!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    Interestingly, the Rolex website gives prices for all the Daytonas except in platinum, which says "price on request" - wonder why that is? Can't see why platinum prices are more sensitive to precious metal market fluctuations than gold ..... not sure what I was looking mind - not even remotely in my price bracket!!!!
    I wonder if even Rolex get a bit embarrassed at some of the prices. £50,000 is quite substantial.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So a year on and the grey market has hardly / not weakened for the SS Ceramic Daytona. Looks like it ain't going to weaken anytime soon either!

I think I would pay a few grand over list but for 14/15K I would rather look at other watches since over double the amount I paid for my 116250.

Like the new PM versions but not the rubber strap!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian. View Post

It's not 15k nice that's for sure.

Okay, RRP is currently £9,100.00 and people are being quoted 10 year waiting lists. If you increase the price by 5% per year (which is probably reasonable) would take the RRP to £14,822.

Go one step further and increase it by 10% a year (which is probably not realistic) would take the RRP to £23,603 in 10 years time.

Buy the watch now for under £15k and enjoy 10 years of ownership for the same price that you may pay in the future.

There is an arguement here that buying now and paying a premium actually makes sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Okay, RRP is currently £9,100.00 and people are being quoted 10 year waiting lists. If you increase the price by 5% per year (which is probably reasonable) would take the RRP to £14,822.

Go one step further and increase it by 10% a year (which is probably not realistic) would take the RRP to £23,603 in 10 years time.

Buy the watch now for under £15k and enjoy 10 years of ownership for the same price that you may pay in the future.

There is an arguement here that buying now and paying a premium actually makes sense.
    Especially in the USA. MSRP is $12,400 which equates to about $13,500 after sales tax in most places. There are increasingly many being offered for around $16,000 or less on the forums. If I couldn't get one easily from an AD, I can't imagine bellyaching over $2,500 to get a watch I want tomorrow - rather than five years in the future.

Really pleased I don't like it. Profit making aside, I wouldn't even be tempted to pay list price. The previous model looks much better to my eye. In fact, the further back you go, the better they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    The previous model looks much better to my eye. In fact, the further back you go, the better they get.
    I would agree John, but as you know the further back you go the prices climb out of the reach of most people. Even with the previous model it is now getting difficult to find one much under £10k.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Especially in the USA. MSRP is $12,400 which equates to about $13,500 after sales tax in most places. There are increasingly many being offered for around $16,000 or less on the forums. If I couldn't get one easily from an AD, I can't imagine bellyaching over $2,500 to get a watch I want tomorrow - rather than five years in the future.
    I was also thinking about this earlier.

If you are American the diff between buying from an AD and Grey is not really a big difference at all unlike the UK!!

Off to Bangkok next week, no white dials available but as long as someone doesn't get one before the 13th I will be the first one on these forums to get the new 43mm Seadweller. :)

Think you've already been beat with that one Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Off to Bangkok next week, no white dials available but as long as someone doesn't get one before the 13th I will be the first one on these forums to get the new 43mm Seadweller. :)
    I think it will probably be the first one on SC

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Think you've already been beat with that one Ryan.
    Ah darn it!

:)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think it will probably be the first one on SC
    Inevitable as I hate Cyclops so this is going to have to go some for me to get over that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think it's really hard to argue with that logic.

I think it would be really interesting to step into a parallel universe where the Daytona was relatively easily available, to see if the passion for it is still there. I think so much of the narrative on it relates to ££ and scarceness.

After today, Speedy Pro for me, will see if the esteemed Ryan can sort me out :)

Dave

Craftsman
    I've been promised one for a while and have been chasing them up. But I've always been on the fence about owning another Daytona after having the last one stolen. I've had AP, PP and others since then but something just makes me nervous about getting a new SS Daytona. My sister has a YG version and I'm always more paranoid about her wearing that than me anything more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I think it's really hard to argue with that logic.

I think it would be really interesting to step into a parallel universe where the Daytona was relatively easily available, to see if the passion for it is still there. I think so much of the narrative on it relates to ££ and scarceness.

After today, Speedy Pro for me, will see if the esteemed Ryan can sort me out :)

Dave
    I think the only unknown is that the Daytona is a standard production model and we don't know how many will be sold in years to come and the impact that will have on waiting lists and second hand prices. I am certain there will always be demand and prices will remain above RRP, but at what level we don't know.

Like you Dave, I opted for a Speedmaster, but instead of getting a bargain I paid a heavy premium to get a Silver Snoopy. The logic is slightly different to the Daytona, there were only 1,970 watches and all have been rolled out and numbers turning up at grey dealers are now incredibly low. There will come a point when all are in the hands of collectors and hopefully demand outstripping availability with have the right impact on the price of any sold.

I do agree that if all these hot watches were freely available at RRP I don't think there would be the same level of interest. Going after something that you cannot easily get is part of the appeal.

Master

Not only does that make sense if you want one, can afford one and can't get one from an AD, you've also put an important wordin your post - "enjoy"!

Seems to me that I'm reading so many posts about buying/owning watches as investments lately which is a bit sad as the enjoyment of wearing them is what got us all here in the first place.

Playing the 'devils advocate' this is all well and good if you love Daytona's and are chasing a dream (or investment).

Having chased for the aforementioned 10 years, the one I bagged via this very forum lasted a few months before it went - my worst watch disappointment ever.

Others mileage may differ......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post

Agree totally! Never seen this one before. Tell us more :-)

[edit: no worries, looked it up. 2017 Basel release. White Gold on Oysterflex. You are right, it isn't that much more to get this one!]
    Last edited by fordy964; 1st May 2017 at 22:21.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Agree totally! Never seen this one before. Tell us more :-)
    A 2017 release. White gold and a £20k RRP.

£20k and you don't even get a metal bracelet, no thanks.

Master

Wow, just wow. This could be the most laughable thing I've ever read on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Wow, just wow. This could be the most laughable thing I've ever read on this forum.
    Okay Mystic Meg you tell me the RRP of a Daytona in 10 years time?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Bit harsh! It's certainly one way (a novel one) of looking at it. Have to say I wouldn't pay a premium for a watch but the way prices tend to go, I can see the "logic".

I know its the mythical Daytona but at 9K its overpriced, never mind at 15K. There are any number of 5-7K Chronographs that are just as good so I can't fathom this at all. For my 15K I'd rather have an El Primero 39mm Tricolour, a JLC Master Control Chronograph AND an Omega Speedy DSOTM.

The Daytona is a pretty good watch, but I still don't really get all the hype. Is it because the watch is hard to get which makes it more desirable or is it the other way around? Or is it the case that anything Rolex is desirable now.... I feel the same thing about the Nautilus to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    Is it because the watch is hard to get which makes it more desirable or is it the other way around?
    It's both ways round!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    The Daytona is a pretty good watch, but I still don't really get all the hype. Is it because the watch is hard to get which makes it more desirable or is it the other way around? Or is it the case that anything Rolex is desirable now.... I feel the same thing about the Nautilus to be honest.
    To be fair, it's universally regarded as housing one of the very best chronograph movements ever made, and it's beautifully constructed. Oh, and it's retained what I regard as perfect dimensions, despite the propensity to make everything larger these days.

It really is a bloody good watch.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 2nd May 2017 at 09:36.

handled a couple of them now, latest on Saturday where I got to wear a black one for 10 minutes.

having worn Rolex sports as my mail daily wearers for about 8 years (GMTc, GV and SDc) I just cannot see the aesthetic (not financial, not "look at me I've got the latest") appeal of the ceramic Daytona

To me it really has a swatch look about it. The old steel bezel had a class about it that the new one has lost.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    To be fair, it's universally regarded as housing one of the very best chronograph movements ever made, and it's beautifully constructed. Oh, and it's retained what I regard as perfect dimensions, despite the propensity to make everything larger these days.

Seems a pretty good summary to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

It is for those who want one BUT only at RRP not at an extra £4 to £6 thousand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

To me it really has a swatch look about it. The old steel bezel had a class about it that the new one has lost.
    Agreed. Ceramic is very hard wearing but it probably won't date well in fashion terms. Just not a likeable material.all right for cornflake bowls........nothing wrong with good old-fashioned metal.