closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patio / decking advice

Master

Patio / decking advice

Hi all

have had a nice new garden room & shed built and i want to finish it off, what i am thinking of is having the steps currently there taken out and a small but of decking all around the office, maybe 3 planks wide.

Then what i need to do is:

Make a feature or hide the air to heat pump (with trellising or something else?)
    Have a raised patio or decking area covering the area to the right of the office as far forward roughly as the front of the office and as far over as the wooden fence.

the reason for this is that there is a nice sea view from this area of the garden and we would like to take advantage of that with a raised area maybe 2 or 3 feet high.

not quite sure what would look best

any ideas ??

FYI the back wall will also be covered with the same wooden fencing as to the side and we are painting it all.

won't having raised decking to the side two to three feet high look a bit odd bearing in mind you've got a full length window on the side?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Not an expert but i know from painful experience that you cannot have decking above 30 cm without planning permission. Might change your thoughts on what you do.

Master
    Will you be using that room in the winter?

Decking is lethal when wet and cold - have gone ass over t*t a couple of times on ours.

I think nice stone slabs would be nicer than decking. Add a little Japanese pond with a flowform water feature.

Hot tub. Perfect location for it :)

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Hot tub. Perfect location for it :)
    Our neighbour has a hot tub within the (ghastly) modernisation scheme of his garden. Ive never known them to actually use it.

I think in view of the very attractive design of S-P's new garden room, it would look good with some minimalist paving outside it. Slate or similar - not too rustic-y.

I suspect the pump would not function too well with solid panels around it? so maybe the finer gauge trellis in hardwood or even something in aluminium.

Master
    not right beside, there will be low decking 3 planks wide beside it, going into a raised area

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    won't having raised decking to the side two to three feet high look a bit odd bearing in mind you've got a full length window on the side?
    - - - Updated - - -

im in ireland, so not the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Not an expert but i know from painful experience that you cannot have decking above 30 cm without planning permission. Might change your thoughts on what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    not right beside, there will be low decking 3 planks wide beside it, going into a raised area

- - - Updated - - -

im in ireland, so not the same issue
    If the studio roof is flat why not maximise the space and get a nice little table and chairs set up on that?

Master
    that would be ideal but the neighbours wouldnt appreciate it

If the studio roof is flat why not maximise the space and get a nice little table and chairs set up on that?

that would be ideal but the neighbours wouldnt appreciate it
    you could always rent your house out to travellers for six months, your neighbours will be so pleased to see you come back i bet they'll more or less let you do whatever you want.

With decking (and that building) - make sure you make it absolutely impervious to rats.

Al

Does the HVAC unit on the back wall output hot air? Given how cool it can be in Dublin even on summer evenings I'd be looking at a way of making sure any heat off that was used to the benefit of anybody freezing their gonads off sitting out admiring the view.

We used to dog sit in Dublin for my parents and, being used to 3-4 months of the year of al fresco dining in Berlin, ended up having to buy a chiminea so we could attempt the same feat.

Master
    its actually an air to heat exchanger, thats a good point tho carlton, if that outputs cold air thats not going to be very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Does the HVAC unit on the back wall output hot air? Given how cool it can be in Dublin even on summer evenings I'd be looking at a way of making sure any heat off that was used to the benefit of anybody freezing their gonads off sitting out admiring the view.

We used to dog sit in Dublin for my parents and, being used to 3-4 months of the year of al fresco dining in Berlin, ended up having to buy a chiminea so we could attempt the same feat.

its actually an air to heat exchanger, thats a good point tho carlton, if that outputs cold air thats not going to be very good!
    I have a similar air source heat pump to heat and cool my garden office. I'm cooling my office today so the outside unit is sending out hot air. When I heat the office it will send out cool air.

Master
    this thingy does my whole house though (its a new build) and i think its only for heating

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I have a similar air source heat pump to heat and cool my garden office. I'm cooling my office today so the outside unit is sending out hot air. When I heat the office it will send out cool air.

I moved into a new house in December and have just ripped up the decking and replaced with stone. A rat was living under there which I discovered as it chewed through he lawn sprinkler pipe . Also it was slippery as hell due to the moss and algae growing over winter . Go with stone .

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I moved into a new house in December and have just ripped up the decking and replaced with stone. A rat was living under there which I discovered as it chewed through he lawn sprinkler pipe . Also it was slippery as hell due to the moss and algae growing over winter . Go with stone .
    I couldn't agree more with this - had a very similar experience.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    With decking (and that building) - make sure you make it absolutely impervious to rats.

Al
    This^^^^rats love decking.

If op wants a raised platform two to three feet high, and it isn't enclosed around the base, then it will be easily accessible to larger mammals and I don't think rats will be a problem, especially if he gets a terrier or cat or two, preferably of the big bruiser version.

If op wants a raised platform two to three feet high, and it isn't enclosed around the base, then it will be easily accessible to larger mammals and I don't think rats will be a problem, especially if he gets a terrier or cat or two, preferably of the big bruiser version.
    Good point,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Hot tubSex Pond. Perfect location for it :)
    Fixed that for you

This might be some inspiration for the op