closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos - what should I do

Master

Nomos - what should I do

I have the Club Automat Datum Dunkel and even since I have had it I suspected that it ran a little fast. However, because I rotate my watches I have never had it on long enough to really tell - apart from a few months back where the wrist time was constant for two weeks and I noticed it again. With daily checks I could see that it was running c. 40 secs fast a day fast. Given I was still under the manufactures warranty I sent it back. This what they did.

Minor repairs Zeta movement that included the following:
    -check and correction of all functions
    -adjustment in six positions
    -restoration of waterproofing
    -final check lasting several days

On return I got it back with a lovely letter from Nomos saying 'it's all better now', well it's not - or is it.

I checked again and whilst better it's still between 25/35 secs fast.

My questions are 1) has any other members had similar experiences with their Nomos watches running this fast and if so by how much, 2) what is deemed an acceptable tolerance for Nomos (or in fact mechanical watches in general if that's easier to answer) and 3) should I send it back and say I am still not happy.

Any help appreciated.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Cannot help with 1 or 2. But I would certainly take it back to complain about it not being correct. I would certainly think 25/35 seconds it's miles out for factory settings.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Don't have experience with Nomos, but it definitely it doesn't sound normal. Personally I would send it back again.

Craftsman
    COSC spec is -4/+6 secs in a given 24hr period. I think I've read somewhere that the Nomos Zeta's rating is -0/+8 per 24 hrs but can't verify that as official from Nomos.

There's certainly no commitment to any numbers on the Nomos website that I can see. However, that level of gain per day on a quality watch seems excessive.

I'd send it back stating the time gain and see what they say.

From the Nomos FAQs:

What happens when my watch becomes magnetized?

There are a great number of magnetic fields in our everyday environment – including anywhere where electricity is present, such as close to personal electronic devices or induction stoves. Unfortunately, these magnetic fields can have a negative effect on a mechanical watch: they can affect the escapement parts of the caliber, stopping it from working properly. This is usually noticeable by a watch suddenly gaining time. However, losing time or stopping all together can also be a consequence of a watch becoming magnetized. If you suspect that your watch has become magnetized, we recommend taking it to your authorized retailer for inspection. This should only take a couple of minutes; the watch can be quickly demagnetized with the help of a demagnetizing device, if required. Of course, you can also send your NOMOS directly to us in Glashütte. However, please note: since magnetization is not a defect of the watch, we are unfortunately unable to carry this service out under guarantee.

Might this be your first step before sending it back again?

Master
    That's what I would have thought 4/6 sec but not c. 30. Magnetised that's interesting - does happen to any of my other watches that are stored in the same place so hopefully not that. What worries me is that they have checked it. I checked it the first couple of days and it was obvious.

Could it have become magnetised on the journey back to you from Nomos? It might be worth checking.

An old (and cheapish) mechanical watch I had years ago (can't remember what it was) was very accurate (a couple of seconds a day) if I wound it in the morning, but gained about 30 secs overnight if I wound it when I removed it at night. Oddly enough it was fine if I wound it in the evening and kept wearing it overnight. I never found out why, but I suppose it was in some way related to high tension in the mainspring when fully wound (and perhaps wearing it damped out some sort of occasional double beat in the highly wound state). I doubt this applies to your Nomos, and you probably wind in the morning anyway, but I thought I would mention it as your problem reminded me of an oddity in my horological past!
    Last edited by WatchIng; 22nd January 2017 at 11:59.

Master
    Thank you so far for all your comments, very helpful. I should have pointed out this watch is automatic so I don't wind it.

It would be great to hear from some Nomos owners and get their experiences to see how their watches are running.

Craftsman
    If it hasn't been worn and has stopped then you need to wind it before wearing it.
    20-30 winds then put it on. If you wear it all the time then you won't have to wind it again. If you don't move much or take it off for a few days at a time you will have to wind it before putting it on.

Definately check for magnetization, this happened to me with watches coming back from service - get a compass and place it next to the watch, if the needled deflects by more than a few degrees its magnetized, either pick up a cheap demag tool off ebay for a fiver or try a local jewellers.
    Keith

Re magnetisation, see link.

benwoodroffe
    I think the tolerance for the basic nomos movement is -20 / + 30secs per day. If outside of that you should approach your dealer or nomos direct.

Master
    I didn't know that. I assumed you give it a shake and put it on. I will give that a go and try to find a compass.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post

It would be great to hear from some Nomos owners and get their experiences to see how their watches are running.

Not sure if this is of any help but my Minimatik was gaining around two or three seconds per 24 hours last time I checked it. I think it runs like this consistently but haven't checked it thoroughly.

I bought mine in Berlin and quizzed three separate dealers about the accuracy I should expect. None would guarantee anything specific but Bucherer said COSC level accuracy was normal for Nomos even if they are not certified.

Cheers
    Mabuse

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That's helpful . I will give it a wind and test again. If not go test if magnetised. Failing that send it back.

Craftsman
    My Nomos Metro is as accurate as my two Rolexes. Far better than COSC.

Yours looks very far out of spec.

I had a Nomos with Alpha movement and it ran a consistent +2spd. They can certainly be regulated very well. I would expect much better than +25spd from a Nomos. Hope you get sorted.

Master
    Thanks you all

Master
    For the record I am wearing this now - just wound, set and I am going to keep a proper eye over the next few days. If it's still running fast (after winding) I will check with a compass. If not magnetised I will regrettably be sending it back. Shame is that it's may end up being longer in Germany than on my wrist this year.

Master
    Right 24h period 30secs plus. Fully wound before putting on so I guess I need to find a compass.

I am fed up

Craftsman
    In my experience, that level of gain is abnormal for a Nomos watch. I have owned a Nomos with the Alpha movement for about 2 years now and it always kept excellent time, well within COSC standards. A few month ago I noticed it was running fast, gaining in the region of 30-45 seconds per day, so I took to Wempe in London (as they're my nearest AD) and they immediately recognised it was magnetised, demagnetised it for me on the spot and it's been running like its old self again ever since.

In my opinion 30s+ per day is too high for your watch and I would keep going back to your AD until it either got fixed or they replaced the watch.

Master
    No way i would accept such accuracy or lack of.

Master
    I will take it back to Mappin and Webb in London that's a great idea. So they will have a tool to sort it out?

Thanks

Master
    Update - took this to M&W and their watch maker was off sick so they sent me round to Watches of Switzerland. No big deal. I explained the situation and that they very informative people on here suggested that my watch may be magnetised. They sent me to see the man!

What a nice experience. The chap said 'come in' and he took me into the lab were he showed me how he can check if it is on not. Very flash machine testing the watch in a number of positions and he agreed it was running way too fast. Snapped it a few times through the magnet machine and tested again. +2 sec as opposed to + 28 sec when he first tested it.

All sorted.

I also had a chat with him after (him being a watch maker and me being a watch novice) about watch recommendations. This is what he said:

Money no question - Patek Philippe. Simply the best. He has been to their factory and they are second to none. After care also amazing.

2-5k (this is my range) - omega. Couldn't speak highly enough about the quality finish and movements in their new range.

Looks like my next purchase will be an Omega so if anyone has one knocking around.........

Oh year he loved the Nomos by the way.

Thanks again for all you help

Fred

A happy ending. Enjoy the watch...and any Omega you buy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Update - took this to M&W and their watch maker was off sick so they sent me round to Watches of Switzerland. No big deal. I explained the situation and that they very informative people on here suggested that my watch may be magnetised. They sent me to see the man!

What a nice experience. The chap said 'come in' and he took me into the lab were he showed me how he can check if it is on not. Very flash machine testing the watch in a number of positions and he agreed it was running way too fast. Snapped it a few times through the magnet machine and tested again. +2 sec as opposed to + 28 sec when he first tested it.

All sorted.

I also had a chat with him after (him being a watch maker and me being a watch novice) about watch recommendations. This is what he said:

Money no question - Patek Philippe. Simply the best. He has been to their factory and they are second to none. After care also amazing.

2-5k (this is my range) - omega. Couldn't speak highly enough about the quality finish and movements in their new range.

Looks like my next purchase will be an Omega so if anyone has one knocking around.........

Oh year he loved the Nomos by the way.

Thanks again for all you help

Fred

Good to hear you got it sorted! It always helps to have a face-to-face encounter with an expert. As a Nomos and Omega owner I can only agree with the watchmakers opinions on the quality of their watches (can't speak for Patek, much to my dismay!).

I'd be a little careful when trying to generalise a entire price bracket down to one brand. There is no brand that can do no wrong (even Patek!), so judge the piece itself rather than the manufacturer. That said, any of the brands recommended are high quality and super enjoyable watches to own and wear.

It does worry me a little that you sent this watch to Nomos in Glashutte and they did not recognise it was magnetised... Have you fed this back to them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    It does worry me a little that you sent this watch to Nomos in Glashutte and they did not recognise it was magnetised... Have you fed this back to them?
    As was suggested above I don't think one can rule out its being fixed, but then magnetised in transit on the way back. Nomos aftercare does seem pretty good.

Master
    The Nomos aftercare was great and I believe it was in transit also given they undertook checks for over a week.

It was only a throw away conversation I don't believe it was me at that way. It's what he liked and given he was working on an Omega at the time of my visit (showed me that to) it was most probably on his mind.

Magnetised- who would have believed it!

Apprentice
    Sorry to resurrect a slightly dated thread but I just wanted to chime in as well.

I've got the opposite problem with my Nomos Metro. It appears to be losing c.15 seconds a day. Based on others experiences in this thread it sounds like that's a little unusual.

Worth a trip to WoS?

Quote Originally Posted by footandmaff View Post
    Sorry to resurrect a slightly dated thread but I just wanted to chime in as well.

I've got the opposite problem with my Nomos Metro. It appears to be losing c.15 seconds a day. Based on others experiences in this thread it sounds like that's a little unusual.

Worth a trip to WoS?

Get it magnetised

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    Get it magnetised

Quote Originally Posted by footandmaff View Post

Worth a trip to WoS?

15 seconds doesn't seem that bad to me, as far as I can tell the metro is not advertised as COSC, 15 seconds on a mechanical watch means you are less than 2 minutes out a week. I don't tend to wear a watch all week so 15 seconds wouldn't bother me as I have to reset the time when I come back to one I haven't worn in a while. I myself wouldn't bother at -15 at -25 or more I think I would be more concerned and looking into perhaps a service.