closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any motor bike fans here?

Any motor bike fans here?

Looking for advice on new bike for a newbie, I'm not sure whether my first bike should be a cheap second hand or do I buy new as there is some great finance deals atm around...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 30th June 2017 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Looking for advice on new bike for a newbie, I'm not sure whether my first bike should be a cheap USB second hand or do I buy new as there is some great finance deals atm around...
    USB?

Is this a motorcycle brand I've not heard of?

There are lots of riders here - general advice for a newbie is make the first simple, unfaired, cheap and cheerful as there is a high likelihood that you'll drop it and something new will be expensive to fix. Get something better when you've learnt not to drop it.

Master
    There are plenty of bikers on the forum who will chip in with some stellar advice.

I would go for good used from one of the well known brands, that way you'll not loose a load of money when you sell it on, and you will!

I went through the same journey a few years ago.. I went for brand new and, against all advice, the exact bike I wanted (which most thought was far too powerful).

I don't regret it one bit, however, I don't ride it like an idiot.

I think you could get in trouble with any bike frankly, and obviously the more powerful the bike usually means it is faster etc. although the new bikes above a certain engine capacity all have ABS (by law) and some have far more useful tech that really helps you such as traction control or cornering ABS.

I also recommend a programme like California Superbike School if you're into improving riding technique. Instead of track days I'd go there with my bike. It was the best way to enhance my confidence and learning. It's amazing how much you can safely push a bike in rain for example - I would never have tried that on my own.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure on the USB?, but get a nice cheap Honda transalp for your first bike, comfy, cheap, reliable.

mike

Craftsman
    If you're a sensible sort I'd say go for the bike you want, if you know you'll be a bit of a speed freak then I'd say get a toned down version of the bike you want just for a year or so.

I passed on a 125 and had a 33hp restriction for two years because I felt I needed that.

I forgot to add to my previous post:

If you are afraid of insurance premiums, as happened to me, I would recommend the following that I should have done in hindsight: Get any 49cc bike as soon as you can for as cheap as you can and start insuring it immediately. Between taking all the classes and tests and by the time you get round to buying your bike, a "1 year No Claims Bonus" is going to make a massive difference to your premium. Especially if you're younger and it will be a big-engined bike you buy or you will park it on the street. This would have saved me thousands in my first premium..

Not sure where USB came from???

I like the look and seating position of the street bikes, i.e a street triple or monster 797 tbh...

I'm not one who will be tearing around at excessive speeds on the tail of a car, its more for run outs on days with friends to a spot somewhere not local...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 30th June 2017 at 11:58.

Master
    I would say get the bike you want as long as you are prepared to pay the insurance premium.
    Buying a bike to make do will only mean you will sell it in 6 months and have the hassle of finding a buyer for it and find the extra cash as you will most probably lose money on it.
    You don't say how old you are but if you have family/ commitments then you probably won't ride like a lunatic, but that won't change the way other road users are...
    The throttle goes both ways, be super alert and try to make eye contact with every driver that is waiting at a junction. But most of all have fun, it is a great way to switch off and stay focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    I would say get the bike you want as long as you are prepared to pay the insurance premium.
    Buying a bike to make do will only mean you will sell it in 6 months and have the hassle of finding a buyer for it and find the extra cash as you will most probably lose money on it.
    You don't say how old you are but if you have family/ commitments then you probably won't ride like a lunatic, but that won't change the way other road users are...
    The throttle goes both ways, be super alert and try to make eye contact with every driver that is waiting at a junction. But most of all have fun, it is a great way to switch off and stay focused.
    42 with a daughter, hence less speed and more enjoyment than speed thrills...

I have had a quote for a Ducati and lets just say i was very surprised at the low price considering i have no motorbike history...

Modern Ducati are good and several user friendly models no longer the fearsome engine braking, clutch and Bembo brakes they once had. Do watch the saddle height and weight as neither helps when you are a novice. I would always buy 2-3 years old - bikes depreciate fast so regardless of finance deals I would stay away from new especially as a novice when you won't want or need the latest / greatest model. I would also stay away from a sports bike as your first bike but get something fairly popular so easy to move on in a couple of years once you know what you want better although the lower capacity Monsters, Hypers and scramblers would all make a good first bike I think.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If you have a garage go for the triple, I wouldn't think your insurance will be to bad.
    In my first year of riding I got a gsxr600 (with a restrict or kit that increased the premium as it was seen as a modification) and that was sub £200 to insure. That was four years ago and I was 38.

Master
    Whilst a Duke would not be out of reach, I'd cut your teeth on a Honda Hornet, Yamaha Fazer or Suzuki Bandit....

All good, comfy and (in their larger sizes) fast enough, with great resale values. You will undoubtedly drop your first bike and all of the above do not have particularly expensive plastics.....which will be scuffed or break when you drop it.

Finding that perfect bike will be a later pleasure; thereafter, it's a bit like watch collecting. I have bought and sold quite a few, rarely losing too much money.

Enjoy....and take care; other drivers really are out to kill you.

Get an old Ducati Monster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    If you have a garage go for the triple, I wouldn't think your insurance will be to bad.
    In my first year of riding I got a gsxr600 (with a restrict or kit that increased the premium as it was seen as a modification) and that was sub £200 to insure. That was four years ago and I was 38.
    Other half has just bought a 2010 Speed Triple with 5k on the clock for just a shade over 4.5k. It looks a tidy bit of kit, considered a Ducati but went British in the end. Still has his favourite daily commuter BMW GS1200....

Two bikes garaged, with 15k and SDP + business miles have always come in sub £400 for insurance which I don't think is all that bad.

Learned to ride in his 40's and did his first year on a Suzuki GSXF650 and then jumped to a GS, dabbling with Yamaha XVS, Speed Triple and Yamaha FZ1, along the way. If we had a bigger garage he's have a Ducati too!
    Last edited by LuBee; 30th June 2017 at 15:00.

Now that I have an idea of what you want, other than the Street Triple, I'd recommend a Harley Street 750. Why? Because the balance of price and comfort is great, residuals are great and it's not a hardcore Harley, so won't shake your bones all day long but still has a nice rumble to it, nice low center of gravity (harder to drop accidentally) and again for the price new, it is a nice piece of kit.

There are great deals new or used on things like a Yamaha MT07, or a Honda CB500x range - also 650/700 range of Honda twins - good relative performance, great mpg, and lots of fun.

What will be the main use/uses
    It's just a matter of time...

Main use would be for a trip out maybe in the lakes or some places like that, find a cafebsonething to eat then go back home, nothing more than that tbh.
    Have a car for most of the time but always liked the idea of just jumping out a bike for a drive out and have a few mates who do the same, not interested in track days or sports bikes but like the more upright seating bikes hence liking the triple and monster look.

I'll have a look at other bikes recommended...

Master
    42 with a daughter, hence less speed and more enjoyment than speed thrills...

I have had a quote for a Ducati and lets just say i was very surprised at the low price considering i have no motorbike history...
    Good call ... I've just bought a Ducati Scrambler as my first bike !
    Looking forward to getting out there - need to get my license first :-)

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...turn-to-biking

Strictly for some weekend fun - and I'll definitely be taking it easy.

Added ... And insurance wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be given zero riding history
    Last edited by I a n; 30th June 2017 at 19:35.

Craftsman
    Suzuki Bandit 1200, brilliant bike and cheap to buy, insure, maintain and repair.

People poo-poo them as a "bitsa" bike but when I ride one they always leave me with a huge grin on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    Suzuki Bandit 1200, brilliant bike and cheap to buy, insure, maintain and repair.

People poo-poo them as a "bitsa" bike but when I ride one they always leave me with a huge grin on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    600 bandit would probably be better for a newbie!

Blog Entries
    Don't muck about have a real mid-life crisis!!
    Ian

Master

Jeans

Any recommendations for protective jeans?
    Seems to be huge variety... something protective, not too heavy so I can wear in summer, comes with knee/hip protection.

Considering these ..
    Resurgence: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/259609
    Richa https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/320484
    Draggin https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/258833

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hood jeans, great quality and English made.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Thanks ... I've been searching around again and found out a lot of Jeans add protection by adding extra layers of kevlar like material. This makes the jeans thicker, heavier, and hotter to wear.
    Rokker and Bull-it add protective material into the denim itself making them lighter but as protective.
    Bull-It are UK based as well so I just bought a pair of their Stealth jeans.
    http://www.bull-it.com/jeans/oneskin...skin-mens.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Plus one for these. I bought a pair for a Harley road trip in America and thought they were very good.
    Thankfully I never tested them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GTuned View Post
    I forgot to add to my previous post:

If you are afraid of insurance premiums, as happened to me, I would recommend the following that I should have done in hindsight: Get any 49cc bike as soon as you can for as cheap as you can and start insuring it immediately. Between taking all the classes and tests and by the time you get round to buying your bike, a "1 year No Claims Bonus" is going to make a massive difference to your premium. Especially if you're younger and it will be a big-engined bike you buy or you will park it on the street. This would have saved me thousands in my first premium..
    i'll second that it'll save you fortune..

Quote Originally Posted by moggi1 View Post
    i'll second that it'll save you fortune..
    Interesting as when I had a 650 and then bought a goped to get around town on (was offered it very cheap) it cost more to insure than the 650 so sold to my lodger in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Interesting as when I had a 650 and then bought a goped to get around town on (was offered it very cheap) it cost more to insure than the 650 so sold to my lodger in the end.

I was quoted by only two companies the first year of bike ownership, no one else quoted. One was for £5,000 and one was £9,500. This was for a new BMW S1000RR. The second year, it dropped to £2,000 with everyone quoting and the third year less than £1,000 with everyone quoting..

I bought for fun a DiBlasi foldable moped, £100 to insure per year.. an easy decision if it saves thousands..

Of course where you live and park the bike will make a massive difference as well as the usual parameters. Some strange other factors kick in such as the age of the bike and the theft likelihood of the model which may give weird quotes when it's not obvious why.

I put a quote in on compare the market and got a quote for a new Ducati Monster for £281, considering I've don't have the ncb for motorbikes I was surprised...
    It would be kept in the garage, social and domestic use only and I do live in a decent part of town, still I was expecting 2-3 times the quote price...

Master
    I put a quote in on compare the market and got a quote for a new Ducati Monster for £281, considering I've don't have the ncb for motorbikes I was surprised...
    It would be kept in the garage, social and domestic use only and I do live in a decent part of town, still I was expecting 2-3 times the quote price...
    Likewise very cheap quote for me ... 0 experience, 0 NCB £260 for Ducati Scrambler.
    I was very surprised .. like you expecting £500-£700.

BTW - I was recommended Carole Nash.

Quote Originally Posted by GTuned View Post
    I was quoted by only two companies the first year of bike ownership, no one else quoted. One was for £5,000 and one was £9,500. This was for a new BMW S1000RR. The second year, it dropped to £2,000 with everyone quoting and the third year less than £1,000 with everyone quoting..

I bought for fun a DiBlasi foldable moped, £100 to insure per year.. an easy decision if it saves thousands..

Of course where you live and park the bike will make a massive difference as well as the usual parameters. Some strange other factors kick in such as the age of the bike and the theft likelihood of the model which may give weird quotes when it's not obvious why.
    I had plenty of no claims and it was over 10 years ago but yes I can see the theft risk of a moped being quite different to a single cylinder trail bike.

Any motor bike fans here?

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Likewise very cheap quote for me ... 0 experience, 0 NCB £260 for Ducati Scrambler.
    I was very surprised .. like you expecting £500-£700.

BTW - I was recommended Carole Nash.
    That is good- I pay about half that for my Hypermotard 1100S with plenty of no claims (6k miles pa) also in a good postcode but for a new bike and rider that is a good price.

Blog Entries
    Carole Nash £220 fully comp Harley Street Bob 1584cc. Older teenager (!) in Bedfordshire, garaged, 4yrs NCB (had a few years off).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Don't muck about have a real mid-life crisis!!
    Ian
    This !!!!

Nice Harley BTW

maseman

Master
    I really like the Indian Scout my wife won't let me get one because I have my Jeep Rubicon and I would have to choose which toy and still haven't played with my Rubi enough.

Not a big cruiser fan, but I do like the scouts. One of the good things about living on a island that's 9 by 5 miles, is that I have a policy that allows me to ride any bike, fully comp for £220.

But..but..but *I* live on an island...

I so miss the NU unlimited rider policy I had at 19

A really big one? 😂

Sorry, as a few of the guys here said, can't go wrong with a middleweight like a fazer, bandit or SV. Test ride a few and see what sort of engine you prefer, inline four, v-twin of maybe even a triple. Keep it relatively simple to start with, once you get into the swing of things they'll be plenty of time for all the exotica...

Master
    I passed my test just before Christmas last year. I had been learning on a Yamaha MT07 and really liked it so I bought one. Great little bike, not stupid fast but you can scare yourself if you feel the need. I'm only an occasional rider and this bike really ticks the boxes because I found it cheap to buy, insure and run. Loads of little upgrades available for it too, if you like to tinker. Mine has an Akrapovic exhaust on it which sounds incredible. As strange as it may sound, it was an SC thread for a bobber that made me decide to do my test. Although the bike in the thread has long been sold, I am considering getting a similar bike built myself. I think I might soon be a collector of bikes as well as watches .

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I passed my test just before Christmas last year. I had been learning on a Yamaha MT07 and really liked it so I bought one. Great little bike, not stupid fast but you can scare yourself if you feel the need. I'm only an occasional rider and this bike really ticks the boxes because I found it cheap to buy, insure and run. Loads of little upgrades available for it too, if you like to tinker. Mine has an Akrapovic exhaust on it which sounds incredible. As strange as it may sound, it was an SC thread for a bobber that made me decide to do my test. Although the bike in the thread has long been sold, I am considering getting a similar bike built myself. I think I might soon be a collector of bikes as well as watches .
    Thanks for that i saw a Yamaha MT-07 whilst doing my cat, they do have great reviews and it was also a bike i have considered.

Thanks for that i saw a Yamaha MT-07 whilst doing my cat.
    Interesting turn of phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I so miss the NU unlimited rider policy I had at 19
    I had one of those - although the real winner were the low capacity production tuned 250s which cost the same to insure as an XT250 or Honda Super Snooze.

No wonder they stopped them !

The joys of being old, but not too old, mean I insure my three bikes for £135.
    It's just a matter of time...

Thanks for that i saw a Yamaha MT-07 whilst doing my cat, they do have great reviews and it was also a bike i have considered.
    I just got an mt07 after a few years off bikes and it's great. Very engaging but not at all scary for a decent size bike. Well worth a test ride to see past the styling.

I have hood and draggin jeans. Get hood. Or better, get proper trousers with a zip in jacket. I regret my choices!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Interesting turn of phase!
    CBT i meant cbt lol...