closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Jeweller wants to keep my warranty card for 6 months?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    That's as maybe, but there is no policy forbidding it as far as I'm aware. So why don't Rolex just introduce one across their network?
    Because they don't want to make it official and lead to bad publicity? They're playing a clever game and putting the onus on the ADs. All wheels within wheels; nothing is as it seems!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Because they don't want to make it official and lead to bad publicity? They're playing a clever game and putting the onus on the ADs. All wheels within wheels; nothing is as it seems!

All the more reason to stick with vintage 👍🏻

Master
    For those who wanted a wrist shot. Works surprisingly well with smart attire as well:-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very smart - tie, cuff and watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    For those who wanted a wrist shot. Works surprisingly well with smart attire as well:-)

Get off, this is nothing to do with watches!

Master

Absolutely! We've now transcended the enjoyment of the mere metal and Crystal!
    Warranty cards and amateur lawyers are where it's at... 😁

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    What is the purpose of an AD? In my view it's representing a manufacturer based on a contract, display watches, provide customer service and of course the main thing is to sell on a profit.

Do they sell less or make less profit because of the flippers? Is it their job to "weed out" flippers? If it's a problem for Rolex, they'll introduce new rules and it'll apply to all AD's, but until then I don't see the point.
    It is their 'choice' to weed out flippers.

ADs, like a car dealer, will have a distributorship agreement with Rolex. These agreements will set out a whole bunch of stuff and require the AD to invest in shopfitting of an agreed standard and a minimum order quantity etc. There will also be terms dictating, within the legalities of competition law, retail pricing.

The AD, as far as I understand it, buy the stock from Rolex. So it is their stock - but they cannot price it as they wish due to the terms of the distributorship agreement. They can, however, choose to sell to whomever they like on terms which they decide subject to the distributorship agreement.

In this case, the AD has chosen to weed out flippers. It is not their job, but they want to deal with watch wearers and not speculators. Maybe it does make them more profit - I am not privy to how much discount they give to a bulk buying flipper compared to a watch wearing buyer.
    Last edited by johnfm; 8th July 2017 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfm View Post
    It is their 'choice' to weed out flippers.

ADs, like a car dealer, will have a distributorship agreement with Rolex. These agreements will set out a whole bunch of stuff and require the AD to invest in shopfitting of an agreed standard and a minimum order quantity etc. There will also be terms dictating, within the legalities of competition law, retail pricing.

The AD, as far as I understand it, but the stock from Rolex. So it is their stock - but they cannot price it as they wish due to the terms of the distributorship agreement. They can, however, choose to sell to whomever they like on terms which they decide subject to the distributorship agreement.

In this case, the AD has chosen to weed out flippers. It is not their job, but they want to deal with watch wearers and not speculators. Maybe it does make them more profit - I am not privy to how much discount they give to a bulk buying flipper compared to a watch wearing buyer.
    Good summary. Can't believe there's been about thirteen pages of whining in the last 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good summary. Can't believe there's been about thirteen pages of whining in the last 24 hours.
    Personally I don't give a donkeys dooda, but then I don't play this silly game for profit, it's just a bit of fun.
    n2.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    It's a rather unique consumer/retail position and one that in our modern world of consumer laws and customer service philosophy we're not used to.

I think the difference between the people who abhor the situation and those who grudgingly shrug is that the latter are not seeing it as some personal, snidey grudge on the ADs part and the former are.

I sympathize with the OPs position but I think it's being done with the best intentions I.e. that the watch goes to someone who will wear and cherish it, not be flipped for profit. That has unintended follow on consequences such as the owner's ability to sell etc but this isn't some evil Nazi scheme to persecute watch enthusiasts.

Stefmcd and Johnfm have made some very cogent points.
    One can view these dealer policies as an affront/challenge to their manhood or failure/unwillingness of ADs to kowtow to you since you are giving them business or look at it practically and consider why they are doing it or are they illegitimately profiting from this. One thing that will never happen and quite understandably so is that Rolex is never going to flood the markets to cause a glut of these SS sports models.
    Time to put a bow on this and move on.

Master
    You never really own a Rolex, you just stop it cluttering up the AD's safe.

I enjoy my watches. Many vintage ones, several modern ones.

I had several superb buying experiences at AD's in the past.
    The times I bought from other enthusiasts usually were fun and very good as well.

Now I never bought a Rolex. I am not very fond of the looks, the pricing etcetera. Just my personal opinion and not meant to influence anybody, just how I feel. With all this kind of rubbish I am glad I am not into Rolex. I just couldn't accept having a watch engraved (which I read somewhere else) or be confronted with someone else removing the stickers (basically unwrapping my gift to myself), or have someone tell me I had to pay full retail but not receive all the items in the package.

There are so many brands selling nice stuff at a good price with great service that I am plainly unwilling to have my fun experience taken away by this sort of behaviour.

Once again: just my assessment and no critisism of anybody else here.
    It is perfectly clear to me where others like Bluemoon are coming from and I understand their choice.
    However mine would be different.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I understand why they are doing it, to stop immediate resale, what I don't understand is why they think this affects them or Rolex adversely.
    There's a long thread "can you actually buy a SS sports Rolex in the uk new" so it is someting of an issue for the brand. Good in the sense of creating some "mystique" but bad because willing customers are unable to buy what they want when they want.

Although it doesn't directly affect Rolex (or individual ADs) if someone buys a watch to immediately sell on at a profit, presumably they would rather sell to "keepers" who might then be more likely to be a repeat customer.

It's a bit odd to retain the card, I'd be more than happy to buy what I wanted, on those terms, at list, because i would only ever buy to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    There's a long thread "can you actually buy a SS sports Rolex in the uk new" so it is someting of an issue for the brand. Good in the sense of creating some "mystique" but bad because willing customers are unable to buy what they want when they want.

Although it doesn't directly affect Rolex (or individual ADs) if someone buys a watch to immediately sell on at a profit, presumably they would rather sell to "keepers" who might then be more likely to be a repeat customer.

It's a bit odd to retain the card, I'd be more than happy to buy what I wanted, on those terms, at list, because i would only ever buy to wear.
    The 'keepers' are actually probably less likely to be repeat customers compared to serial flippers!

The only reason it's an issue is simply supply, it seems to suit Rolex as is or they'd have changed it.

Are we sure all this hoo-hah wasn't caused by Wayne turning up at DMR in a skimpy pair of denim shorts?

13 pages on the warranty card being retained lol
    6 months sounds good Preston's is 2 years !!!
    They can retain mine for the sky dweller and remove the stickers long as I get my watch lol

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    13 pages on the warranty card being retained lol
    6 months sounds good Preston's is 2 years !!!
    They can retain mine for the sky dweller and remove the stickers long as I get my watch lol

I have a Daimler Century V12, one of hundred ever made.
    How would it sound if I buy something like that but the dealer wants to keep the papers and manual for a year because it is very limited and more people would like to buy it at a higher price?

Would sound very silly when it is about a car.
    Now why is it ok with a watch?
    Last edited by Bernard; 9th July 2017 at 21:55. Reason: typo corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    How would it sound if I buy something like that but the dealer wants to keep the papers and manual for a year because it is very limited and more people would like to buy it at a higher price?

I never said it was right but it is what it is !! You don't like the rules of ADs dont buy the watch. Dealers only trying to protect themselves. Folk will put up with it if you want the watch its simple will see how things pan out with the Sky dweller as they are tipped to more desirable than the Sea dweller

Last edited by bokbok; 9th July 2017 at 22:12.

I never said it was right but it is what it is !! You don't like the rules of ADs dont buy the watch. Dealers only trying to protect themselves. Folk will put up with it if you want the watch its simple will see how things pan out with the Sky dweller as they are tipped to more desirable than the Sea dweller

Luckily I'm just a simple guy who doesn't like these games.
    I'll pass. Rolex isn't my brand I'm afraid.

Luckily I'm just a simple guy who doesn't like these games.
    I'll pass. Rolex isn't my brand I'm afraid.
    Unfortunately Rolex is a brand I love so will after play the game if I want my Sky dweller. Will see

Master

Because no one is trying to protect the image and brand of a Daimler Century V12. It is a one off antique rather than a retail item that is sold across the world.

Wayne

glad you like it looks great, haven't got mine yet but looking forward to it joining its older siblings to make the SD set.

Jason '964' hope your well - re Porsche ordering yep thats a whole different ball park and very mysterious how names get selected - and some very distasteful happenings IMHO !

Now then re the 'card' what will be interesting is if any dealer retains card then loses it - they would open themselves up for a 'diminution of value' claim from the owner of the watch hmmm.

All a bit crazy and potentially leaves a bad taste for what should be an really enjoyable experience.

Master
    Rolex need to make more watches , then all this nonsense would disappear like a puff of smoke.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Wayne

Now then re the 'card' what will be interesting is if any dealer retains card then loses it - they would open themselves up for a 'diminution of value' claim from the owner of the watch hmmm.
    Not the point I know but surely it would be easy enough for the AD to get another one made up if that situation occurred? All the details are online anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Rolex need to make more watches , then all this nonsense would disappear like a puff of smoke.
    As would the perceived kudos of the brand, the outrageous (and rising) price tags, the residuals, the feverish desire for their boring mass produced watches...

Rolex are very smart, and are producing exactly as many watches as they want to.

Master
    I asked in the thread earlier but no one replied.
    Has anyone on here bought a sought after model from a Rolex boutique and if so was anything retained by the boutique?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Has anyone on here bought a sought after model from a Rolex boutique and if so was anything retained by the boutique?
    Yes (ceramic Daytona) in mid-2016 - nothing at all was retained, stickers were left on, and it came away in the clear plastic shipping box too.

Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    Yes (ceramic Daytona) in mid-2016 - nothing at all was retained, stickers were left on, and it came away in the clear plastic shipping box too.
    That was a year ago I know a chap early on this year bought a daytona all the stickers removed

Master
    That was a year ago I know a chap early on this year bought a daytona all the stickers removed

From a boutique?

From a boutique?
    Yes Preston's is a boutique in Leeds and they remove stickers

Last edited by bokbok; 10th July 2017 at 12:29.

Craftsman
    When I bought my SubC, the dealer asked if I wanted the stickers or did I want them to remove them. My answer, what would I want with the stickers, bin them :)

Master
    That is a good question, would show whether it really is Rolex policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Because no one is trying to protect the image and brand of a Daimler Century V12. It is a one off antique rather than a retail item that is sold across the world.
    It once was new. I tried to make a comparison between the Rolex and car-world.

Craftsman
    I recently picked up a day night GMT from Mappin and Webb and they removed the stickers without asking but I got everything else.
    This was about 6 weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    That is a good question, would show whether it really is Rolex policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    In fact I've just had this reply (to a question about Rolex policy on what should be supplied at time of purchase) from Rolex UK...

Thank you for your email.
    We kindly advise that the process for selling Rolex watches is left at the discretion of our Official Retailers.
    Assuring you of our best intentions

Customer Relations Co-Ordinator, ROLEX UK

Master
    In plain English, we will not publicly acknowledge our role on pressurising our retailers into taking drastic steps to reduce profiteering nor will we accept that we are passing the buck. Now, I'm sorry but you'll have to excuse us, we have vast sales revenue to tally up and huge piles of cash to wallow in.

Take out your watches and give them a wash or watch some TV or play with your kids or find a GF.
    But for heavens sake,give this a rest.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Take out your watches and give them a wash or watch some TV or play with your kids or find a GF.
    +1.........another example of what I'll loosely term 'Rolexitis', an affliction that's reaching epidemic proportions on this forum.

I concur. This is comfortably the most tedious, inconsequential thread of which I've had the misfortune to partake on this here forum. And there has been plenty of competition. Please snuff it out of its misery.

So say the forum mods.

I preferred this thread when it was bitching about ADs rather than bitching about fellow TZ UK members.

Now I've joined this thread .... if anyone changed the terms of a purchase I had already made a deposit on, I would have great pleasure in asking for my money back. No watch is worth being treated contemptibly by a retailer, and as for wearing a reminder of the experience on my wrist .....

Craftsman
    I just think the whole thing is stupid . The AD gets a few watches a year of the special models and can't sell above the rrp . Who cares who buys them , they have sold them and that's it . If a speculator wants to resell above rrp let them . Surely if it keeps happening all Rolex have to do is hike the rrp .
    It's just the AD's with their noses out of joint .Childish and probably against the sale of goods act.
    Would the AD's refuse to give warranty cards to their best customers , I doubt it . They probably just do it to unknown customers whom they perceive to be resellers .

Master
    Agreed. My SD43 got a wash when I fell off a jet-ski today about half a mile offshore...that got rid of the last sticker!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    It's just the AD's with their noses out of joint .Childish and probably against the sale of goods act.
    Would the AD's refuse to give warranty cards to their best customers , I doubt it . They probably just do it to unknown customers whom they perceive to be resellers .
    ADs get an absolute kicking if Rolex find one of the hot watches turn up on the grey market and there are more than a few that have had their franchise taken away where repeat incidents occur. They're doing what little they can to protect their business. If they know their best customers they'll take an informed decision as to whether they can take the risk on them or not. Unknown customers are just that... unknown.

Master
    One might ask how it is it that so many ADs manage their sales of premium models and avoid them appearing on the grey market without having to resort to withholding the warranty cards, as it appears David M. Robinson are doing?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    One might ask how it is it that so many ADs manage their sales of premium models and avoid them appearing on the grey market without having to resort to withholding the warranty cards, as it appears David M. Robinson are doing?
    Well firstly I guess it only matters if Rolex find out where a particular watch came from - they can't do that on every watch out there. Secondly if ADs sell to their good customers they can trust not to embarrass them then they minimise their risk. I've offered my AD to keep my warranty cards and they don't want them because they know I'm not going to put them in an awkward position. If I do then I come off the good boy list and I don't get any good stuff in future. Not worth it for me and they know that - I value easy access to the good stuff more than the occasional turn for a few grand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    ADs get an absolute kicking if Rolex find one of the hot watches turn up on the grey market and there are more than a few that have had their franchise taken away where repeat incidents occur. They're doing what little they can to protect their business. If they know their best customers they'll take an informed decision as to whether they can take the risk on them or not. Unknown customers are just that... unknown.
    Ok but it's the same situation , so what if they are in the Grey market ! Rolex are limiting their supply in the first place they themselves are creating the market !
    . Rolex have made their margin and so have the AD . If this was such a massive issue why are Rolex not writing to owners of the now older Sea Dweller and asking customers to return them because they don't want any profiteering on discontinued models .
    If Rolex were that bothered why don't they offer limited supplies stock through the AD's on a sealed envelope bid basis and take part in the profit again ..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Ok but it's the same situation , so what if they are in the Grey market ! Rolex are limiting their supply in the first place they themselves are creating the market !
    . Rolex have made their margin and so have the AD . If this was such a massive issue why are Rolex not writing to owners of the now older Sea Dweller and asking customers to return them because they don't want any profiteering on discontinued models .
    If Rolex were that bothered why don't they offer limited supplies stock through the AD's on a sealed envelope bid basis and take part in the profit again ..
    I agree Rolex should do a better job of moderating demand and supply but then I think the ceramic Daytona should just be priced at £12k as rrp and be done with it, which would decimate the grey market in it. I'm assuming I'm in a small group who would want Rolex to up their prices though...