timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Low Carb Diet

Journeyman

Low Carb Diet

Has anyone done this diet?

I've lost just under 2 stones since new year

But I'm stuck at same weight for last month want to lose another 7lb - 1st

Any suggestions how to kick start it again?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_king View Post

Thanks

Eat and drink like a pig for a couple of months, that should get you going again.
    F.T.F.A.

I've done the Cambridge diet 4 st in 4 months now I'm just eating sensible and still have the odd Cambridge product, weight still on way down.

Started following a low carb diet in 2014 and lost 5 or 6 stone in the first couple of years, now still follow the principles and keep a very healthy weight so happy to advise, for what it's worth! What you struggling with? Finding meals?

How low are we talking about

for me, when taking it seriously, zero pastry, bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. Just unprocessed meat and veg really, salad, nuts and fruit. Very little dairy and most beer substituted for neat spirits, though not sure those last two are 'carbs'.

Going to the gym to do callisthenics twice a week and having a pull up bar at home, plus dropping my carb intake from 170g a day to 75g a day has helped me to lose 6kg in the past 4 months. Just saying like....

Craftsman
    Are you also exercising? If you are looking trimmer and maintaining the same weight then don't worry about the weight not going down.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat!

Craftsman
    I've been on a low carb diet since march as got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I've lost 10kg since and already 'reversed' the diabetes.

I basically just eat meat, eggs, veg, salad, nuts, yoghurt and berries! I try to have under 50g carbs a day which apparently counts as a zero carbs diet. Some decent recipies in tom kerridge's diet book

However it's been frustrating as my weight hasn't budged for the last 6 weeks or so.
    Last edited by jimyu; 15th July 2017 at 03:51.

Journeyman
    First month I was 20g of carbs a day to get in to ketosis since then I relaxed a bit I guess I'm on about under 75g a day

I don't eat pasta bread potatoes rice

It was hard to begin with but once ur in a routine it's not to bad

Good thing is I have a fried breakfast every day

Last edited by Andy_king; 14th July 2017 at 21:54.

First month I was 20g of carbs a day to get in to ketosis since then I relaxed a bit I guess I'm on about under 75g a day

I don't eat pasta bread potatoes rice

It was hard to begin with but once ur in a routine it's not to bad

Good thing is I have a fried breakfast every day

Lose the fried breakfast and try a healthy pancake I recommend these to all my clients. 2 eggs and one large banana mashed and then down with a small amount of olive oil. Massively increase your water consumption I'm drinking 5 litre a day. When losing weight I up that to 6.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Lose the fried breakfast and try a healthy pancake I recommend these to all my clients. 2 eggs and one large banana mashed and then down with a small amount of olive oil. Massively increase your water consumption I'm drinking 5 litre a day. When losing weight I up that to 6.5.

That doesn't sound very low carb though...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    That doesn't sound very low carb though...
    Isn't it something not only to do with carbs but also how refined or unrefined they are and how much time it takes to digest.

My only question with a low carb diet is can you loose weight initially but difficult to maintain in the long run?

You will need carbs. The idea is a mass amount. And the best time for carbs in morning to burn them off during daily activity

Quote Originally Posted by Aleem View Post
    My only question with a low carb diet is can you loose weight initially but difficult to maintain in the long run?
    I find it very easy to maintain, though I have the luxury of living alone! I'm very much in the habit of low carb and enjoy a very varied and healthy diet with little effort. Most of the carbs mentioned in this thread don't have much taste, they're really there to bulk out the rest of the food so they can easily be replaced with low carb alternatives.
    Last edited by rasputin10; 14th July 2017 at 23:25.

Journeyman
    I think this thread is inspiring me to reflect on my eating habits particularly around refined carbs

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleem View Post
    I think this thread is inspiring me to reflect on my eating habits particularly around refined carbs
    Seriously it works

Just starting off drinking 5 litres of water a day is not healthy for everyone, and it would be a huge increase for some, which should be increased slowly, if you feel the need to. Although it does make you feel fuller, so you eat less - so it's one way to help the starvation diets.

The banana pancakes are fine, but there is bugger all wrong with the occasional fry up.

You will need carbs. The idea is a mass amount. And the best time for carbs in morning to burn them off during daily activity

The body has no, zero, biological need for carbs. There is no better time in the morning for carbs - I actually used to believe this myself, but it is all irrelevant. If you like and use cards effectively, simply have them long enough before you want to use them for energy - whether that is morning, noon, or night.

Virtually everyone would loose a huge amount of weight if you restricted their carbs - most, and sometimes all of that weight loss is water.

I hate hearing trainers that have their clients give up potato, rice and pasta etc. - it's just bollox as far as I'm concerned.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Interesting thread... I'm currently on a bit of a health kick and so far have been using my fitness pal to keep an eye on calories and going to the gym 4/5 times a week. I'm losing weight but seems slow at times. I still eat carbs, have sandwiches most days and usually potatoes, pasta or rice on an evening. I've considered a few times cutting carbs from my diet but my wife (who is far from overweight) tells me it's a load of rubbish and to stick with what I'm doing.

Thoughts? Is it worth cutting out bread and pasta etc or is limiting calorie intake and fairly regular exercise good enough?!

My main tip would be to ignore what you read on forums like this - you will get confused by the various bits of pseudo-science put forward as facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The body has no, zero, biological need for carbs.
    That's technically true in the sense that the body will find alternative ways of producing glucose in the absence of carbohydrates, but is it entirely optimal for health - no so sure.

Certainly you are better to get your carbs from veggies, beans etc than from highly processed sources, and eating lower amounts has health benefits (especially if you were eating a crap load of white bread and sugary stuff), but I don't think advising people that they need no carbs is a sensible approach.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Eat and drink like a pig for a couple of months, that should get you going again.
    PMSL
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    Going to the gym to do callisthenics twice a week and having a pull up bar at home, plus dropping my carb intake from 170g a day to 75g a day has helped me to lose 6kg in the past 4 months. Just saying like....
    Why do you need a gym to do calisthenics? One of the main benefits is not having to use a gym.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Decent advice this allows the hormone Leptin to replenish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    That's technically true in the sense that the body will find alternative ways of producing glucose in the absence of carbohydrates, but is it entirely optimal for health - no so sure.

Certainly you are better to get your carbs from veggies, beans etc than from highly processed sources, and eating lower amounts has health benefits (especially if you were eating a crap load of white bread and sugary stuff), but I don't think advising people that they need no carbs is a sensible approach.
    No carbs at all is the keatogenic way, but there are no cheat days as such, for this to work you consume only fats and protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I don't think advising people that they need no carbs is a sensible approach.
    It would be absolutely true though.

Would I actually advise someone to not include carbs in their diet - absolutely not, and I never have. But they don't "need" them. It would also be crazily restrictive.

The body uses carbs for one reason only.

I would not advocate using highly processed carbs in place of less refined sources - but I have yet to see any real evidence that the body give a flying F about which source it gets its carbs from. There was a comparison of one person getting their main carbs from wild rice and another from pizza bases - all things being equal, they got the same anticipated results.

Alan Aragon also hosted on his feed about Anthony Howard-Crows 100 day icecream diet. It might not be sensible to be so extreme, but the body doesn't really care about its sources of carbs as much as people think it does.

http://www.menshealth.com/weight-los...t-loss/slide/1

^^^ Yes, I know what a ketogenic diet is and it is entirely possible to consume some carbs and drop quickly back into ketogenisis - Ben Greenfield (who is pretty much the authority on high performance fat adaptation) actually recommends it.

My point about carb sources was referring to telling people that they don't need carbs - maintaining optimal health and performance on a ketogenic diet is not quite as simple as just eating no carbs and for most people not really relevant, better that they choose to source what carbs they do have from sources which provide good nutrients too.

Any diet is stupid, unless you can sustain it for the rest of your life. We have been eating bread for several thousands of years and whilst I would readily agree that modern bread is vastly different from what it has been in the past, in many aspects it is healthier than t has been.
    The only good diet advice is first to get into the habit of eating a balanced, vegetable rich diet for a few weeks and monitor your weight. If it's not coming down (or not fast enough), then keep exactly the same routine but once you've helped yourself, put a little back from your plate. A little only, like a spoonful. After a couple of weeks check your weight and if necessary remove another spoonful.
    All the other diets are unbalanced and starve your body. The reason we build up fat is the result of evolution as it is a way to cope with a famine. If you burn it fast, you are in fact starving your body to force it to burn your reserves. It works of course. But as soon as you stop (often to avoid a depression) your body will consider rebuilding those reserves a top priority to prepare for the next famine.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    The basic idea of the low carb\high fat diet as it was, was for diebetics to keep the sugar levels down thus avoiding some of the problems that comes with diebetes and unless you are diebetic l don't see any reason why you would want to use it. yes you will lose weight,but if you eat drink half your intake 2 spuds instead of 4,1 slice of bread instead of 5, and whatever, get off your arse and go for a walk\swim for an hour you will lose weight.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Interesting thread... I'm currently on a bit of a health kick and so far have been using my fitness pal to keep an eye on calories and going to the gym 4/5 times a week. I'm losing weight but seems slow at times. I still eat carbs, have sandwiches most days and usually potatoes, pasta or rice on an evening. I've considered a few times cutting carbs from my diet but my wife (who is far from overweight) tells me it's a load of rubbish and to stick with what I'm doing.

Thoughts? Is it worth cutting out bread and pasta etc or is limiting calorie intake and fairly regular exercise good enough?!
    Hi

I thought the same as your wife
    I used to row 30 min Daily eat healthy but would struggle to lose weight

So after some advice I gave it a go
    Main thing is getting ur head around it

The trick is to get in to ketosis so the body uses the stored fat for energy while keeping ur muscle mass

The fist to weeks u will feel crap but stick to it

I was 16.3 over crimbo never been that heavy ever I'm 6ft heavy build

So I started it 3rd Jan and today I'm 14.7 and I'm not as strict as I was

I don't exercise even

My food is fried breakfast, dinner lidl Greek full fat yoghurt and berrys,
    Dinner meat and veg and a jelly with cream

If u want snacks walnuts are good

Drink lots of water

It works for me and I have struggled with my weight for years

Weekends drink vodka and soda

PS check ur Carbs on foods ur be amazed how much carbs are in foods

Hi Andy,

How much sleep do you get? It may not sound related, but making sure you get the right rest in will keep your body running well and ensure you are recovering from your activity.

30min row a day is good, have you considered adding in a longer walk or light jog into your route a couple of times a week?

Journeyman
    I get 8 hours if I can

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post

Yes, your wife is right. And yes limiting intake and getting exercise is more than good enough.

Any additional weight loss from not taking in carbs, over and above the same energy from other foods, is 100% water. If you think you carry too much water, or have issues with edema you can try it along with any advice/medication from your doctor, but otherwise it's a current trend and imho useless advice.

Blog Entries
    The trick is to get in to ketosis so the body uses the stored fat for energy while keeping ur muscle mass

The fist to weeks u will feel crap but stick to it
    I understand it's a currently fashionable diet approach, but I don't understand why anyone living in the world we currently inhabit would deliberately choose to raise the toxin levels in their body. (Those raised toxin levels being the reason why you feel crap.)

Scene from Absolutely Fabulous:

Safi: Mum, if you really want to lose weight, all you need to do is eat less and take a little exercise.

Eddie (is totally stunned for a moment before replying): Oh don't be silly darling, if it were that simple everyone would be doing it!

I get 8 hours if I can

8 hours is good, gives your body a full recovery.

Increasing your exercise is the next step, as it sounds like your body has leveled out somewhat which is normal when you keep your calorie intake consistent and you reach a certain point.

If you need motivation for walking, Fitbit's are all the rage at the moment and you start wanting to do a minimum number of steps a day.

Fitbit challenges can also be quite fun if you have family/friends who also have them - https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_...p_article/1531

P.S. I don't work for fitbit, just enjoy owning one!

Craftsman
    I thought I'd share these recipes I tried yesterday.. just a few minutes to make these almost carb free English muffins and chocolate pudding. Really easy and tasted good - particularly the pud!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn7hlajexy...%2037.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by jimyu; 16th July 2017 at 16:18.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    I thought I'd share these recipes I tried yesterday.. just a few minutes to make these almost carb free English muffins and chocolate pudding. Really easy and tasted good - particularly the pud!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn7hlajexy...%2037.jpg?dl=0
    Thanks r give them. A go

Master
    I've been low carb for over a year now and gone from 95kg to my current 79.

It has always gone in phases i.e.I went from 95 to 87 quickly then stayed there for a while, then I started losing again and went to 84kg then stuck there for a while then down to 81 and now down to 79.

It's taken a while but I'm happy with that because for me it is sustainable because it's just how I eat and I really enjoy the food I do eat.

Thanks

Try this thread

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ght=carb+diets

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

It has always gone in phases i.e.I went from 95 to 87 quickly then stayed there for a while, then I started losing again and went to 84kg then stuck there for a while then down to 81 and now down to 79.

It's taken a while but I'm happy with that because for me it is sustainable because it's just how I eat and I really enjoy the food I do eat.
    I got down to under 85kg but after nine months found I was starting to get lethargic. So I introduced a few sugars. Protein shakes have been my saviour. Weight back to around 89kg at the moment. Still eat hardly any bread or potatoes.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

Well done

How much carbs do u think u eat daily?

Thanks

"Diets" don't work. You'll just put it all back on again. Just learn to eat sensibly and you'll keep it off for life.

Yes but sometimes the draw of SC is too strong.

First of all well done for getting as far as you have, it's no fun dieting! I lost 10kg 2 years ago, dropped from 86kg to 76kg and have kept it off, my system was calorie counting, didn't try any of these fad diets, just make sure your calorie count is below what you need to lose weight, so if you have stopped losing weight you need to eat less. For reference I was eating between 1600 and 1800 calories a day for about 8 months. I weighed all my food portions until I knew roughly how many calories where going to be in the food and then eyeballed it from there on. I did simple things too like halving my breakfast and lunch portion if I stopped losing weight, and drunk coffee and water to help with hunger pangs.