closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Who will win the fight tonight?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Floyd Mayweather

68 73.12%
  • Conor McGregor

25 26.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Mayweather vs McGregor........today's the day!

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    How were the two fighters to each other after the stoppage? Were they gentlemen or was it more of the same pre fight crap?
    Macgregor saying it was stopped too early and he was momentarily fatigued. I think if the fight went on another 10 seconds he would have been on the canvass snoring.

Was a bit of a farce but McGregor is now very wealthy so good luck to him. What's next, Bolt vs Farah in the 100m?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    I think its hilarious that people think CM did well and gave a good account of himself etc. The fight lasted exactly as long as FM wanted it to, the man barely broke a bloody sweat and only gave away 1 round. And how many times did CM hit him in the back of the head or hit whilst clinching........

Honestly the whole thing was a joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched it again a bit fresher and I'm seriously thinking that both were pulling their punches a bit, also how many times did CM hit FM with a hammer fist on the back of the head.
    Going to say it again FM toyed with CM, let him get a few hits in and thought right thats it the crowd have seen enough and as soon as he started to fight then CM just died on his feet, stoppage came at the right time, any longer and CM would of been seeing stars...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 27th August 2017 at 12:33.

Craftsman
    The biggest con in history since the Americans landed on the moon!

Mayweather carried McGregor for 10 rounds with the understanding he doesn't get put on his arse and they both walk away with millions in the bank!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    The biggest con in history since the Americans landed on the moon!

Mayweather carried McGregor for 10 rounds with the understanding he doesn't get put on his arse and they both walk away with millions in the bank!
    Sure looked that way.

Having watched it McGregor did well to last as long as he did, but he's clearly not as good as he claimed he would be and based on his hype I was expecting much more. Any middleweight with decent power would have finished him much earlier.
    Mayweather did what he's always done - not lose.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 27th August 2017 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Mayweather did what he always done - not lose.
    Mayweather did what he always done - win

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    also how many times did CM hit FM with a hammer fist on the back of the head.
    Deserved to be smacked on back of head, how many times did FM turn his back.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I think its hilarious that people think CM did well and gave a good account of himself etc. The fight lasted exactly as long as FM wanted it to, the man barely broke sweat.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Like a cat toying with a mouse. You can't really say the mouse did well to stay in the game as long as it did.
    Well - you could - but it was none of McMouses doing. He was lucky to have been treated so kindly by the cat.

I never really considered it ever a fight. Dolly Parton V Frank Bruno would be more credible.......................................... ......

https://youtu.be/Sm07grmdwuE

Master
    I think its hilarious that people think CM did well and gave a good account of himself etc. The fight lasted exactly as long as FM wanted it to, the man barely broke a bloody sweat and only gave away 1 round. And how many times did CM hit him in the back of the head or hit whilst clinching........

So FM chose to box 10 rounds instead of a first round KO and pure admiration from all watching? Funny choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    So FM chose to box 10 rounds instead of a first round KO and pure admiration from all watching? Funny choice.

Did you watch the fight?

It was up there with some of the all time great fights I've seen over the years, why it was on par with this . . .

F.T.F.A.

He chose to comfortably coast nine rounds enjoying the experience of humiliating a substandard opponent who had (ridiculously) dared to verbally place himself in the same class.
    It could have been over quicker l agree - but Floyd's not as young as he used to be, so he took his time and enjoyed himself.
    And, my god - watch that fight - Mayweather had the time of his life fighting that child.

Master
    With hindsight it's easy to say, but Mayweather was never going to KO him like Golovkin or Kovalev would. It was always going to be an accumulation ala the Hatton fight.

McGregor surprised me slightly with his start, for the first round I did think everyone had underestimated him. Then Mayweather woke up and McGregor (unsurprisingly) gassed in a big big way.

There are probably a few big potential pay days for him if he stuck around in boxing fighting some other big names. Of course he doesn't need the money but when has that stopped most?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    With hindsight it's easy to say, but Mayweather was never going to KO him like Golovkin or Kovalev would. It was always going to be an accumulation ala the Hatton fight.
    That's what I thought too. McGregor was never going to throw the towel in and wouldn't make it to the end. So it would be KO or ref stop the fight.

Master
    Did you watch the fight?

It was genuine question. feel free to answer.

Master
    So was mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    He chose to comfortably coast nine rounds enjoying the experience of humiliating a substandard opponent who had (ridiculously) dared to verbally place himself in the same class.
    It could have been over quicker l agree - but Floyd's not as young as he used to be, so he took his time and enjoyed himself.
    And, my god - watch that fight - Mayweather had the time of his life fighting that child.
    I don't think he was humiliated, CM can now say he lasted 10 rounds with the GOAT and there ws an early stoppage. He won arguably 3 or 4 rounds against the GOAT boxer in his first boxing match ever.

Now people can speculate what if. What if CM has started boxing before his teens, dedicated his life to it like he did MMA.

Humilation would have been a brutal first round knock out. CM unconscious surrounded but by medical staff. CM with a bent nose and no front teeth.

If I was the GOAT boxer and someone who had never boxed before, spoke to me in the way CM did and was arrogant enough to think he beat me would not have got any rounds from me.

So I'll ask the question again, why did FM let CM win rounds?

Master
    So was mine.

See response below.

Anyway, This isn't I will if you will.

I don't think he was humiliated, CM can now say he lasted 10 rounds with the GOAT and there ws an early stoppage. He won arguably 3 or 4 rounds against the GOAT boxer in his first boxing match ever.

Now people can speculate what if. What if CM has started boxing before his teens, dedicated his life to it like he did MMA.

Humilation would have been a brutal first round knock out. CM unconscious surrounded but by medical staff. CM with a bent nose and no front teeth.

If I was the GOAT boxer and someone who had never boxed before, spoke to me in the way CM did and was arrogant enough to think he beat me would not have got any rounds from me.

The reason is because in his old age he's no longer much of a knock out artist if ever he was one. It was clear he had a game plan, did enough as he always does and knew the judges would have liked what they had seen from his corner. I'm sure he would have happily gone the distance and taken the win from the scorecards as long as he sealed his legacy in the history books but Conor gassed out and made it just that bit easier for him.
    Last edited by u35rm8; 27th August 2017 at 21:59.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Macgregor saying it was stopped too early and he was momentarily fatigued. I think if the fight went on another 10 seconds he would have been on the canvass snoring.

LOL - quote of the day

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    He's never been a one hit KO kind of guy. And against a guy over a stone heavier? Come on.

His tactics were spot on in the end. Did you notice whenver CM went in for a clinch FM raised his forearm to make sure he couldn't lie on and weigh him down.

CM deserves credit but it was absolutely not a good resuly, moral or otherwise. It was a good stoppage as he'd stopped defending himself which gave the ref no other option.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by u35rm8 View Post
    The reason is because in his old age he's no longer much of a knock out artist if ever he was one. It was clear he had a game plan, did enough as he always does and knew the judges would have liked what they had seen from his corner. I'm sure he would have happily gone the distance and taken the win from the scorecards as long as he sealed his legacy in the history books but Conor gassed out and made it just that bit easier for him.
    I agree with most of this.

But it's not humiliating though. It's being beaten by arguably the GOAT

The fight was the inevitable farce it was destined to be.
    McGregor did his best and Mayweather, made it look like people got value for money, whilst preserving his legacy.
    The people who thought they saw McGregor "doing well" are the same people who thought McGregor could win, and he did. He got 100 million dollars.
    Someone put £650,000 bet on McGregor with Paddy Power, maybe Zlatan put a weeks wages on him.

Last edited by Zimmer; 27th August 2017 at 22:56.

He won arguably 3 or 4 rounds against the GOAT boxer in his first boxing match ever.
    Very arguably indeed, as the 3 judges had him winning 1, 2 and 3 rounds respectively. Which means FM was winning 9, 8 or 7 rounds, the last one by 2 points before stoppage.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The opinions here have run the gamut: from a McGregor flop to a McGregor 'victory.'

I believe the variance of assessments is directly correlated to the commenter's pre-fight favoring of Mayweather or McGregor.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle: McGregor did NOT destroy Mayweather as he had promised. On the other hand, the 49-0 GOAT did get roughed up in the early rounds by a debut boxer, and did not demonstrate his boxing skill dominance until his opponent began tiring. Both men ultimately proved their greatness...but their respective opponents proved to be more formidable than either expected.

Master
    Mayweather did what he always does but to an inferior level - size up the opponent for the first 4-6 rounds, see what they have to bring, adjust, then come strong in the 2nd half. Clearly his physical prep wasn't at it's usual level as he looked softer than I've ever seen him. He's also getting old, he didn't look slow but certainly not as sharp as usual and his explosive punches were few and far between, he'd normally throw quick, accurate combinations which puts doubt into his opponents but I can't really remember seeing these, suggesting he needed to preserve energy. It was a poor performance for his standards and he'd do well to retire now for good as there are a couple of names in the welterweight division who I think would have beaten him yesterday (Keith Thurman, Errol Spence).

McGregor did pretty well considering his lack of experience, but I think a lot of that has to do with his size/reach advantage and he was able to keep Mayweather at range and actually had a pretty good jab. If you consider he probably came into the ring in the 170's that would make him a middle-weight really, which would match him against Golovkin/Canelo - I think that would end very quickly and badly for him. Mayweather started as a lightweight (130) and is a small welterweight, the size difference is considerable.

Spot on.

Because that was his strategy that day. He did his job. Simple as that - no emotion involved - just the better man on the day, as expected.

Master

Poll: Mayweather vs McGregor........today's the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Because that was his strategy that day. He did his job. Simple as that - no emotion involved - just the better man on the day, as expected.
    This is probably true, only FMJ and his team will know for sure. However he decided CM was good enough that he needed to adopt a conservative strategy. If he was fighting a lot of other boxers or MMA fighters he could have lit them up in the first round ( I know he's not a knock out artist but as you said that's his game plan, that in itself is a choice)

Therefore I don't understand why some people are saying CM was humiliated, beat thoroughly, but not close to humiliation.

Imagine someone never having raced hanging in a GP, someone who's never played football holding their own in a World Cup etc
    Last edited by Rodder; 28th August 2017 at 09:06.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Excellent article.

Journeyman
    For me it was an interesting spectacle, I'm a big UFC fan and have witnessed McGregor gassing on a few occasions (both Diaz fights, could argue the Chad Mendes fight too). A massive flaw in his fight game, which he needs to overcome if he returns to fight in the UFC Lightweight division.

What we watched was precision "money making"

Imagine someone never having raced hanging in a GP, someone who's never played football holding their own in a World Cup etc
    Hardly a fair analogy surely?

Fairer would be saying "Imagine an F1 driver racing at Indianapolis and being in contention" or a Rugby League star going to American Football and being competitive...

He's a professional fighter in a different category, but he's not someone with zero experience of competitive fighting!

To someone with zero knowledge of UFC, he came over as a bit of prat...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th August 2017 at 09:03.

Master
    My knowledge of MMA is limited but from what I saw of McGregor was that he was a better boxer than his competition. He had the kicks etc but he didn't seem a fan of wrestling etc. He would use his size advantage (in most cases) and beat up the smaller man quite often with his punching power.

A few good shots apart he was taken to school in the end by a 40 year old who hadn't boxed for a long time.

Master

A few good shots apart he was taken to school in the end by a 40 year old who hadn't boxed for a long time.
    I think your wording does McGregor a massive disservice. What you wrote could apply to any 40yr old ex boxer, when in fact he went in with the greatest boxer of his generation who never lost a fight, who hadn't had a bout in two years. I hardly think he was sat on the sofa stuffing junk into his mouth.

My knowledge of MMA is limited but from what I saw of McGregor was that he was a better boxer than his competition. He had the kicks etc but he didn't seem a fan of wrestling etc. He would use his size advantage (in most cases) and beat up the smaller man quite often with his punching power.

Well said, lets see if he will defend his lightweight belt against Ferguson or maybe Khabib, doubt it he's never defended a belt yet...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think your wording does McGregor a massive disservice. What you wrote could apply to any 40yr old ex boxer, when in fact he went in with the greatest boxer of his generation who never lost a fight, who hadn't had a bout in two years. I hardly think he was sat on the sofa stuffing junk into his mouth.
    I think the reverse could be applicable to be honest. How often has the same breakdown been used against other pro boxers? Floyd has often taken a few rounds just to see what he's up against and then got on with business. The fact he did this against someone that has no existing boxing video to analyse makes it more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Deserved to be smacked on back of head, how many times did FM turn his back.
    He didn't, - CM kept on scooting behind him

Master

i think you are doing him a huge disservice

he is a two weight world champion and in beating aldo in 13 seconds he beat a fighter that had been the world champion for nigh on 5 years and considered by man the best p4p.

In his debut at the next weight class he dismantled the man that had destroed dos anjos

mcgregor might eventually get found out in the UFC but this far he is a class above anyone in the weight classes around him and his stand up game can only have come on in training for mayweather

Master
    I mean no disrespect to him. He's a great UFC fighter, no doubt. But he did seem to boil himself right down and then put a load of weight back on. He's huge compared to a lot of people hes gone up against. Floyd included.

Master
    I mean no disrespect to him. He's a great UFC fighter, no doubt. But he did seem to boil himself right down and then put a load of weight back on. He's huge compared to a lot of people hes gone up against. Floyd included.
    thats true but thats a skill in itself and they all do it to some extent

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    What we watched was precision "money making"
    Aye a finer display of the promotional and financial arts than it was of the martial kind.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th August 2017 at 13:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    thats true but thats a skill in itself and they all do it to some extent
    I know but I've seen pictures of him at weigh ins where he looks like Christian Bale from the film The Machinist!

Although some don't have to do it at all, Mayweather himself pretty much lives at the weight, as did Carl Froch

Journeyman
    I get the feeling McGregor cuts the weight to near Skeletor levels to avoid fighting at his natural weight. He's not the biggest of guys and he would get found out massively if fighting at welterweight (170lbs) in the UFC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewwyt View Post
    I get the feeling McGregor cuts the weight to near Skeletor levels to avoid fighting at his natural weight. He's not the biggest of guys and he would get found out massively if fighting at welterweight (170lbs) in the UFC
    they all do it, wasnt khabib hospitalised during his last cut? Thats why if you arent the biggest you fight at the minimum weight you can cut down to, hardly surprising.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/khabib-...y-ferguson-off

Mcgregor fought diaz at 170lb and beat him the second time

and i would guess that we will find out if he is going to be massively found out at welterweight as im sure he will fight at that weight in the future.