TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They are here...my new arrival.

They are here...my new arrival.

Steel Sky-Dweller!

I'm in love with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If ever there was a VFM Rolex that is it and mine is on order but not expected until December.

Master
    Not bad at all.

That is stunning especially with the blue dial. Congratulations!

Glad you got to keep the stickers too!

How does it wear for its size?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone got one with the grey rhodium dial? Tried in a new DJ 41 recently and it looks stunning with that dial.

Craftsman
    a very cool watch, congratulations!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Anyone got one with the grey rhodium dial? Tried in a new DJ 41 recently and it looks stunning with that dial.
    That would be pretty unique.

Well I suppose I could be made to wear it, seriously beautiful hope you enjoy wearing it

Master
    That really does look fantastic. Nice one.

Craftsman
    Cracking, lovely blue dial :)

If I could afford one now, I would buy that precise watch. Love it!

Not one I usually take a look at but looks great

Craftsman
    Like it a lot! Congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Lovely

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Agree with others, the blue dial is a beaut

The only modern Rolex I really desire at the moments. Contrats

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Am I the only one who thinks it's really ugly?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post

Errr..........Yep

Seconded

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That blue dial looks great. Congrats!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    That is stunning especially with the blue dial. Congratulations!

Glad you got to keep the stickers too!

How does it wear for its size?
    That does look good. As per above, will you be removing those stickers?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Seconded

Count me in.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Can't decide which is more impressive, the determination to speak your mind without regard to the inhibiting niceties of social conventions, or the depth and subtleties of your thoughtful analysis. If only everyone on the forum would follow your example.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Can't decide which is more impressive, the determination to speak your mind without regard to the inhibiting niceties of social conventions, or the depth and subtleties of your thoughtful analysis. If only everyone on the forum would follow your example.
    Yes, I'm new to the forum, but wouldn't it be a lot more interesting for everyone if you explained a little bit about what you don't like rather than saying something with no value? Even saying 'nice watch' has more value as at least it lets the OP have some feeling of camaraderie that other people like his new (quite expensive) purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Yes, I'm new to the forum, but wouldn't it be a lot more interesting for everyone if you explained a little bit about what you don't like rather than saying something with no value? Even saying 'nice watch' has more value as at least it lets the OP have some feeling of camaraderie that other people like his new (quite expensive) purchase...

I'm assuming that the forum isn't merely a place to complement each other on our watches, Rolex make some lovely, sturdy and practical watches, IMHO the Skydweller isn't one of them, lets call it a bit ''Marmite'' again IMHO its just trying too hard, its just too busy looking, lacks symmetry and a bit, dare I say it ''blingy'' .
    OP, what matters is that you bought it because you like it, as a bonus many others seem to agree with you, wear it and enjoy it.

Journeyman

They are here...my new arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm assuming that the forum isn't merely a place to complement each other on our watches, Rolex make some lovely, sturdy and practical watches, IMHO the Skydweller isn't one of them, lets call it a bit ''Marmite'' again IMHO its just trying too hard, its just too busy looking, lacks symmetry and a bit, dare I say it ''blingy'' .
    OP, what matters is that you bought it because you like it, as a bonus many others seem to agree with you, wear it and enjoy it.
    Not saying that you shouldn't disagree, just saying that no value is added to a thread by saying 'I don't like it' or 'I think it's ugly' 'I think it's ugly because it's blingy or trying too hard' adds something to the discussion.

That's a serious watch, very nice indeed and the complexity of the movement just adds to the desirability.
    Enjoy every second you wear it.

Master
    Beautiful watch, and the one Rolex that really makes me stand and gawp outside the jeweller's window. Love the complication, love the fluting, love the dial - just perfect. That month display is such a great idea.

The only other Rolex I like is the Deepsea one with the blue/black dial. This Sky-Dweller is much more eye catching though, simply lovely. Enjoy it!

Banned
    It's an interesting and fair view, however, it shows many here need to understand there are an awful lot of watch buyers like and want 'blingy' to use your phrase. You see it in posts about the size of watches too. Tradition is good, but we all can't like the no date Submariner and the SKX007 you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Beautiful watch, and the one Rolex that really makes me stand and gawp outside the jeweller's window. Love the complication, love the fluting, love the dial - just perfect. That month display is such a great idea.

The only other Rolex I like is the Deepsea one with the blue/black dial. This Sky-Dweller is much more eye catching though, simply lovely. Enjoy it!
    Month display, did I miss that?

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I'm in love with it.
    No wonder, I think that is a lovely watch.

Yes - it's month '9'!

Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
    That does look good. As per above, will you be removing those stickers?
    Yes, get them off.

Strangely if I remember correctly, when the Skydweller came out was a lot of negativity toward it on TZ but now it's a forum favourite.

Personally I don't like those with a contrasting sub-dial but this one looks great - well done!

Journeyman

I'm happy to elaborate. I've always thought the sunburst bezel is ugly. I had a Date Just and the one thing I hated was the bezel. The 24 hour dial Looks like it's slipped down the dial and IMHO is superfluous. For me it makes the the watch look droopy! Why Rolex insist on sticking a cyclops on everything baffles me. Anyone who needs such an aid to see the date must surely need to see an optician. Not that I particularly like date windows on watches anyway as they spoil the symmetry of the dial. So, I think the watch is ugly. I can't see the point of a forum where everyone taps everyone else on the shoulders and agrees how wonderful everything is. I'd rather be honest and if someone doesn't agree with my opinion I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure many members look at posts and rather than post a negative comment say nothing.

Glad you are honest. No point being otherwise. I didn't like these in gold at the original launch.. it's grown on me.
    The 24 hour dial is independent so will be home time for me and I travel a lot. Never minded a cyclops, have 14 other Rolex and only one doesn't have it.
    Stickers are staying for now as it will go into the bank for a bit.

Master
    I'm happy to elaborate. I've always thought the sunburst bezel is ugly. I had a Date Just and the one thing I hated was the bezel. The 24 hour dial Looks like it's slipped down the dial and IMHO is superfluous. For me it makes the the watch look droopy! Why Rolex insist on sticking a cyclops on everything baffles me. Anyone who needs such an aid to see the date must surely need to see an optician. Not that I particularly like date windows on watches anyway as they spoil the symmetry of the dial. So, I think the watch is ugly. I can't see the point of a forum where everyone taps everyone else on the shoulders and agrees how wonderful everything is. I'd rather be honest and if someone doesn't agree with my opinion I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure many members look at posts and rather than post a negative comment say nothing.
    At least that is a well reasoned negative comment. Whilst I may not agree it is totally valid.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Like that a lot. Initially, I thought they were too big, busy and ugly (nothing specific, just as a whole package, Like the YM-II), then I tried one on. Very different on the wrist, but still too blingy and was hoping for a Steel variety. Now you get both the YM-II and Sky-Dweller in Steel. Nice to see Rolex stepping out of their comfort zone and making some complicated watches.

But, holding out for the Rolex Space-Dweller, the perpetual calendar version. Or save up enough for one of these the Galaxy-Dweller, perpetual calendar with chronograph, or the Universe-Dweller, perpetual calendar, flyback with split seconds chronograph. Ooh, and stick an alarm in there somewhere too! Which, of course would have a ref number suffixed with an 'A'

we can only hope!

Master
    As Kingstepper said, it's the red on the 9. There's an aperture in the dial at each marker, red is current month; i.e. 9 = Sep, 10 = Oct etc etc.

Brilliant use of space without cluttering the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes - it's month '9'!
    Ahh, well bugger me sideways.

Everydays a school day, still not fussed though.

A very nice watch! When I tried one on I was surprised at the thickness of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcha View Post
    A very nice watch! When I tried one on I was surprised at the thickness of it.
    I think to find a thinner annual calendar you have to have a Patek. The Omega AT, the Globemaster, the Zenith, and the, um, whatever the other one I looked up was, they were all 13.5 to 15mm.

Now I think about it, I didn't think to look at the thickness of the ALS annual calendars. I suppose they'll be like PP. As far as I could make out, VC and AP only offer perpetual calendars.

I think to find a thinner annual calendar you have to have a Patek. The Omega AT, the Globemaster, the Zenith, and the, um, whatever the other one I looked up was, they were all 13.5 to 15mm.

Now I think about it, I didn't think to look at the thickness of the ALS annual calendars. I suppose they'll be like PP. As far as I could make out, VC and AP only offer perpetual calendars.
    Just read this morning on 'dinkee - the 1815 annual calendar is 10.1mm thick and a lovely watch:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...alendar-review

Congrats on this watch - I've been a fan of the sky dweller for a while. It's just different and a bit innovative from Rolex which is refreshing.

That dial is something else, enjoy and wear it in good health.

Ryan

Congratulations. The Skydweller is really a stunning time piece. In my opinion one of the nicest in the current Rolex collection.

Enjoy it!

I think it's an outstanding piece, regardless of the brand :P congratulation and enjoy it!

Very strange seeing Rolex isolated on the dial without at least Oyster Perpetual underneath it.
    I hadn't noticed it on the older models, perhaps its the dial colour that makes it pop out.
    Last edited by swatch; 8th September 2017 at 17:03.

Journeyman
    Fantastic! Congrats on a great looking watch :)

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    Steel Sky-Dweller!

I'm in love with it.

Don't see many if these! Lovely!

Why has it still got stickers on?

Cause it's going into the bank for a bit.