closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just landed YM - now with review >>>

Blog Entries

Just landed YM - now with review >>>

What's better than starting off a holiday with some retail therapy!

More later on this 40mm yacht-master. Stickers still intact and with warranty card.

Martyn

(nb. Took the B55).
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th September 2017 at 05:16.

Craftsman
    Looks stunning Martyn - look forward to seeing more later.

Was it through an AD, or private?

Master
    An absolute stunner. Someone posted one recently and it didn't get the best reception, can't see why. It's wonderful

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Looks stunning Martyn - look forward to seeing more later.

Was it through an AD, or private?
    AD - at the airport. Just taking off now. See you on the other side!

martyn.

Master
    Unplanned??

Wow, gorgeous timepiece.

Beautiful....just gorgeous

Have a good trip.

Master
    This watch looks mile better on the wrist than it does in any pic. It really is a stunner.

I envy you.

That would be my choice of TT Rolex.

Craftsman
    Great watch, Probably one of the only colours I'd buy if I every got a Cyclops rolex

Lovely. Someone was complaining about the "incessant concentration on one Brand" just the other day, but I don't agree

Craftsman
    Super nice !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Lush - thank you

Master

Just landed >>>

Stunner! Congrats, I love something a bit different

Craftsman
    retail therapies and vacations, am really jealous now. brilliant watch, congratulations!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Lovely. Someone was complaining about the "incessant concentration on one Brand" just the other day, but I don't agree
    Well spotted I'll be doing a review soon - just need to get some decent pictures. Normal camera kit at home so may need to rely on the phone (as above).

Thanks for all the comments. It was not an expected purchase but it seemed to good to miss.

Typing this on stop over @San Francisco.

Martyn.

One of my favourite YM's Martyn, very nice indeed, look after that Breitling B55 for me.....

Blog Entries
    Review

Rolex Yacht master

Initial impression
    The case size is a standard Rolex sport model 40mm. However what struck me was the overall case was slimmer both width and depth compared to the more 'boxy' profile and size of the modern Rolex. This made it much more attractive, to me at least. The bi-metal impression was stunning.

Description
    This is the first bi-metal watch I have owned. They may not be as popular as the all steel models, but this one just to me. The gold alloy produced by Rolex for this watch is called "ever-rose. So called because allegedly, unlike some other alloys, this is not meant to tarnish. It is a warm gold, not really pink but more skin coloured. I like it. Parts that are ever-rose are the solid gold bezel, which has highly polished index markers and time markers and 15m count down/up markers. The other gold parts are the middle polished centre links and also the centre of the easy-link clasp with the single adjustment like the GMT. Also - a nice touch - the hands and index surrounds are the same gold.

The face is matt black (the chocolate dial is also available) I am not certain of the material. The date wheel has classic 'open' nines and sixes with black digits on white background under the ubiquitous Rolex cyclops.

At its heart the standard but robust and well tested (why break it if it ain't broken) 3135 (sic) movement runs at 28'000 beats/hr and is chronometer rated and rated with the newer tests at +-2s/day variance. Guarantee runs to 5 years and recommended service interval of 10years - so this watch should provide a lifetimes service if looked after.

Differentiators of the Yacht-master compare to say the Submariner are:

• Thinner case, thinner 'shoulders'.
    • Bi-rotational bezel - for timing laps between buoys.
    • Non-luminous bezel
    • 100m Oyster case, but still with triple-lock crown

The case is Oyster, so called after the namesake that rigorously protects the pearl inside (in this case the precious movement). It is rated guaranteed water proof to 100m (330ft) with virtually indestructible synthetic sapphire crystal and interpreted crown guard part of the middle case.

Thoughts
    The yacht-master apparently were developed by Rolex for sailing crew and were marketed differently to the dive watch ranges.

To me they seem the more refined cousin to the dive ranges - incorporating precious metals for the bezels such as platinum or gold (as in this case) and available in smaller sized cases sometimes 38mm, sometimes 40mm. The yacht-master are slimmer in design, others may prefer the more box like shoulders of other modern Rolex. For me I think it is no surprise I also own the modern Explorer 1 which has a similar slim profile.

It will work supremely well for its purpose - but for me, would I wear such a refined watch crewing a GRP or on a beach holiday where sand and grit could ruin its fine finish - I'm just not sure. I would certainly wear it for daytime wear and at the captains table though.

I have enough other watches that can take a beating and still look great so I do not need to abuse this one.

Maybe if I keep it for a few years and it picks up some dinks that make it my own I would wear it more for daily use. My wife has a bi-metal Rolex that she wears daily for everything including baths, beach, gardening, vacations - it is her go-to watch. As always I have a lot to learn from her attitude!

So how does this watch fit in my collection? Time will tell - but it certainly adds some different material and colour variety. I now have: black, orange, yellow gold, ever-rose gold, titanium DLC grey, rubber, steel, the journey continues. Just wish sometimes I'd kept the 'Hulk' for its amazing green

Verdict
    Wearability: 9 oh. Heck 10/10 - one of the easiest watches to wear - almost forget it's there, bracelet super, watch - superalive.
    Robustness: 8 - with gold being softer than steel I imagine this will pick up scratches easier than steel. So marked down for that - but if you don't mind using your watches rather than keeping them in a box - this could be a higher score, as it sits low on the wrist it will get less hits that a hi-profile diver.
    Looks: 9 - very classy number - can be dressed up and down with Jeans or in the board room

Some pictures:

Got some more later.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th September 2017 at 23:12. Reason: Everrose correction

Master
    Fantastic pictures. It really is a beautiful thing

Great review and pictures. One point in would question, you say about the gold being "made for Rolex". I think it should be made BY.... as Rolex have their own foundry so they can control 100% of the manufacturing process.

Some me more info on everose here

https://www.precisionwatches.com/rolex-everose-gold/

kev

That's probably the nicest two tone watch I've seen in a long...long time ....now I must nip to the bathroom.......

I've never really looked at Yatchmasters, always gone for the divers.
    This is probably a daft question but do they come in all SS or are all variants in precious metal or two tone/SS+precious metal?

Edit: Having done a bit of Googling I suspect they are all two tone or precious metal combos so likely out of my range.
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 8th September 2017 at 09:00.

Master
    That looks amazing in those pictures. I had a YG YM many years ago, with a white dial, and I did like it, but that everose one blows it out of the water. With the darker dial it looks mega contemporary, and I am sure that it wears very well being quite compact.
    Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Good review. I expected you to comment on the slim profile and shape of the case. In my view it is the best proportions of any of the current Oyster cases.

I think the YM also used the maxi dial and hands before the LV.

Very nice, they really do have lovely proportions and any modern Rolex is a masterpiece.
    Enjoy it to max.

Master
    I love the YM series. I agree with ur assessment that they seem a more refined counter part. Congratulations on a fantastic acquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    I've never really looked at Yatchmasters, always gone for the divers.
    This is probably a daft question but do they come in all SS or are all variants in precious metal or two tone/SS+precious metal?

Edit: Having done a bit of Googling I suspect they are all two tone or precious metal combos so likely out of my range.
    the closest to what you are after is the original platinum bezel and dialled ym or the newer version with the blue dial, all steel apart from the bezel

Great review. Despite the Rolex groans, there isn't a lot of talk about these models on the forum, so it's good to get the low-down on how they wear and so forth.

Nice watch. I'm not seeing the review?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Nice watch. I'm not seeing the review?
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4484527

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdes24uk View Post
    Great review and pictures. One point in would question, you say about the gold being "made for Rolex". I think it should be made BY.... as Rolex have their own foundry so they can control 100% of the manufacturing process.

Some me more info on everose here

https://www.precisionwatches.com/rolex-everose-gold/

kev
    Kev. Very interesting reading - I'll correct that. Thank you
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th September 2017 at 11:54.

Smashing, thanks!

Very nice Martyn. Enjoy the holiday too..

Craftsman
    These are beautiful watches. My SKX is on holiday with me at the mo!

It would be nice to see it side-by-side with the Explorer, if you get the opportunity to take a photo.

Master
    That is lovely and a great review thanks. Never been sure of the chocolate dial but it looks great with the combination of colours.

Enjoy.

Great review as always Martyn, I very nearly bought this Two-Tone Yacht-Master but as I already owned the Plat dial 16622 version I went with this Two Tone GMT Ceramic 116713LN instead. Maybe it's just me but there seems to be something of a resurgence of Steel and Gold Rolex watches at the moment.......

Last edited by shalako; 8th September 2017 at 18:41.

Master
    Yeah TT watches are very nice and often overlooked. I think they can be so stylish!

Journeyman
    Never been sure about the brown dial. Thought I'd prefer a black dial... and then I saw it one on the 2017 model. Just didn't work for me. The brown blends and is a much better match for the rose gold. Surprised how black and flat your dial watch looks in the photos.

Wow that's a beautiful watch mate I've been looking at the chocolate dial for some time gonna hold out for a little longer,
    Your black dial is a stunner though.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FF_fan View Post
    Wow that's a beautiful watch mate I've been looking at the chocolate dial for some time gonna hold out for a little longer,
    Your black dial is a stunner though.

Mine *is* a chocolate dial. Just shows black in the photos. I'll try some more shots. Model ref: 116621

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Mine *is* a chocolate dial. Just shows black in the photos. I'll try some more shots. Model ref: 116621
    ''Jesus'' I really am going blind its a great looking watch mate I've a thing for two tone watches this ones been on my radar for a while now.

great stuff

regardless of your view your review is fantastic
    enjoy

bitchin watch by the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    ''Jesus'' I really am going blind its a great looking watch mate I've a thing for two tone watches this ones been on my radar for a while now.

I think it's the camera trying to normalise the colour. How does this look?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    That's probably the nicest two tone watch I've seen in a long...long time ....now I must nip to the bathroom.......
    That makes my day!

I really appreciate the comments here guys. Two tone is not something I would normally consider, but since the wife gave her assent and friends and family have already commented favourably on it I think this has been a good decision. Now just unfortunately have to cull some from my little collection before the CC bill arrives.

Martyn

Master
    The YM case is a great profile - a lot seem to think it's a Submariner in a fancy frock, but I think it easily stands up as a model in its own right. I'm certainly happy with my steel version:

Here's a couple of comparisons with other Rolex models - a 16570 Explorer II and 116710 GMTIIc:

YM:

EXPII:

GMTIIc:

I think it's the camera trying to normalise the colour. How does this look?

Still looks black to me must be my eyes regardless its a great piece mate has a certain classy look about bit.

Review with seven photos of the chocolate dial looking properly chocolaty

https://monochrome-watches.com/hands...hocolate-dial/

Blog Entries
    Still looks black to me must be my eyes regardless its a great piece mate has a certain classy look about bit.

After some research I see the everose is produced both with chocolate and black dial. Looking at the reference pictures I see I have the matt black dial. So you're right! Well spotted. I may enquirer at Rolex St James the options a dial swap, though I guess it's prohibitive and maybe not allowed as it makes it a different model.

After some research I see the everose is produced both with chocolate and black dial. Looking at the reference pictures I see I have the matt black dial. So you're right! Well spotted. I may enquirer at Rolex St James the options a dial swap, though I guess it's prohibitive and maybe not allowed as it makes it a different model.

I thought I was going blind mate, both dials are very appealing I'd personally go for the chocolate but the black also looks just spot on.