closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best leather cream / balm / food? Recommendations please!

Best leather cream / balm / food? Recommendations please!

Hello All

What is the best leather cream / balm / food? Old leather jacket and bag in need of some tlc.

Any to avoid (my tuppence worth here: on dried-out walking boots it's G Wax over Nikwax every time for me).

Recommendations please!

Thanks

I like Renapur.

I use Chelsea leather food now, and boots appear to appreciate it

On boots , flight jacket and briefcase. Slightly darkens light coloured leather but is the doggie's doo daas.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I use a local mixture for equestrian equipment they sell by the bucket. I'd check your local Horses R Us.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I like Renapur.
    I use this too, on shoes, leather straps, my wife's handbags... Very good stuff. The leather looks great when it's been applied. And you need very little of it for each application too, so one tub should last for age. Apparently you can accidently leave the lid off and it won't dry out.

I have Renapur but actually prefer this: http://www.hoggs.co.uk/prodcut_detai...product_id=238. It will darken the leather but I find it lasts longer than Renapur and leaves the leather softer. I’ve used it on boots, jackets, bags, etc.

If the leather is in particularly poor condition I might start with an application of Ko-Cho-Line first.

Meant to add: if possible always try any treatment on a hidden part of the item first. Helps to see how much the leather will darken and whether the colour change is temporary or permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    On boots , flight jacket and briefcase. Slightly darkens light coloured leather but is the doggie's doo daas.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

This . Got this a few years back and have used it on my Leather jacket and a few other leather items since. Can't fault it so far, although can be a bit tricky to find.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Apparently you can accidently leave the lid off and it won't dry out.
    LOL! Apparently . . . accidentally. Yup, we've all been there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I use this too, on shoes, leather straps, my wife's handbags... Very good stuff. The leather looks great when it's been applied. And you need very little of it for each application too, so one tub should last for age. Apparently you can accidently leave the lid off and it won't dry out.
    Yes, used Renapur on 25-year old leather sofas - came out looking and perfectly supple.

Master
    Slightly different question, but how often should one treat leather?

I use RM Williams saddle and leather dressing on my briefcase. Darkens it a bit and takes a while to soak in but does a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Slightly different question, but how often should one treat leather?
    Will depend on the frequency and type of use of the item in question.

Boots I treat several times each year, more if they get immersed in mud, exposed to harsh environments (rocks, gorse, heather, brambles, etc) or soaked in water (letting them fully dry out first).

Bags, etc. perhaps twice a year.

Jackets and waistcoat perhaps once a year.

Items like gloves, cases and pouches only as they need it.

For furniture,etc I'll normally apply a treatment when the item starts to look shabby or loses its sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    This . Got this a few years back and have used it on my Leather jacket and a few other leather items since. Can't fault it so far, although can be a bit tricky to find.
    I too use Pecard leather dressing, it's very good and a little goes a long way.

Master
    The best thing for renovating old leather is Mars Oil. The big draw back is that it makes the leather smell of rotting sardines for a few days but if you can put up with the stink ( and it is a bloody awful stink) it is well worth it.

I use it on motorcycle boots and gun cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The best thing for renovating old leather is Mars Oil. The big draw back is that it makes the leather smell of rotting sardines for a few days but if you can put up with the stink ( and it is a bloody awful stink) it is well worth it.

I use it on motorcycle boots and gun cases.
    Is this the stuff you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Is this the stuff you mean?
    It must be. Mars Oil has been out of production for several years although I'd love to be proven wrong.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Another vote for Pecard. Used on vintage flying jackets, brief cases.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It must be. Mars Oil has been out of production for several years although I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Ah I am plain bloody lucky. I bought some at a local horse fair a couple of years ago. It was used to keep saddles etc all nice and shiny.

Pecard for me too...far better, IMO, than Renapur!

Used it on an old dried out/cracked flying jacket and the results were astonishing. Use it on all sorts of leather stuff now, worth hunting down

Thanks all.

Anyone know of a UK stockist / supplier of Pecard?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Thanks all.

Anyone know of a UK stockist / supplier of Pecard?
    I got it from here.

http://www.antiqueleatherdressing.co...g/olshop.shtml

Thanks! Order placed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Thanks! Order placed.
    It's certainly brought my 20 year old Schott leather pea jacket back to life. It now looks the part, the leather is now very soft to the touch and the rain just beads off it. As I said above, I can't fault it.

Master
    Thanks, seems sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Will depend on the frequency and type of use of the item in question.

Boots I treat several times each year, more if they get immersed in mud, exposed to harsh environments (rocks, gorse, heather, brambles, etc) or soaked in water (letting them fully dry out first).

Bags, etc. perhaps twice a year.

Jackets and waistcoat perhaps once a year.

Items like gloves, cases and pouches only as they need it.

For furniture,etc I'll normally apply a treatment when the item starts to look shabby or loses its sheen.

Journeyman
    I use Obenauf's on all my White's and Wesco boots. Perhaps a little heavy duty for a jacket, but for footwear nothing beats it imo.
    Unfortunately nowhere in the UK stocks it to my knowledge, Ironheart did for a short while. I always pick up a tub when the US.

Master
    I have a pair of leather 2 seater sofas out here in hot sunny Spain and the leather is begining to dry out.

Is this Pecard stuff any good for sofas ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy 0 View Post
    I use Obenauf's on all my White's and Wesco boots. Perhaps a little heavy duty for a jacket, but for footwear nothing beats it imo.
    Unfortunately nowhere in the UK stocks it to my knowledge, Ironheart did for a short while. I always pick up a tub when the US.
    I've heard that Obenauf's is good, maybe you should bring back a few more tubs next time!

I have a pair of leather 2 seater sofas out here in hot sunny Spain and the leather is begining to dry out.

Is this Pecard stuff any good for sofas ?
    I use it on an old leather chair. When first applied it’s a bit like dubbin so takes a day or so to lose a greasy feel. I think its benefits are that it doesn’t contain animal fats or solvents or thinners that other products do and that dry leather.

I came across it by way of a recommendation for restoring WW2 and vintage leather flying jackets and they are a geeky crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Alt Berg leder gris is great for renovating and waterproofing. Get the extreme stuff for a leather jacket in need of care. I use the black extreme once a year on my bike leathers and boots

http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/

Pecards is extemely expensive for what is just a mix of beeswax and various petroleum distillates. It's probably not terrible for leather but it is certainly terrible value!

Most leather tanneries and workers use and recommend lanolin, tallow, cod liver oil and beeswax based products, these are used during the tanning process and won't go rancid like some vegetable oils (never use olive oil). Coconut oil is also good.

http://www.theenglishleather.com/sin...wax-on-wax-off

http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=371

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post
    Alt Berg leder gris is great for renovating and waterproofing. Get the extreme stuff for a leather jacket in need of care. I use the black extreme once a year on my bike leathers and boots

http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/
    I use the original black once maybe twice a month on my work books (Altberg P3) and they are still in fantastic condition 2-3 years later, well worth the £5 per tin. Never realised they make an extreme version as well.
    Last edited by Mr_Mac; 18th November 2017 at 09:55.

Another vote for Renapur. I use this on leather jackets, smother it on and cover on the hanger with a bin bag..within a couple of days it's all soaked in and become lovely and supple

For the car I use Raceglaze leather balm

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I came across it by way of a recommendation for restoring WW2 and vintage leather flying jackets and they are a geeky crowd.
    Yep we are!!!!
    Pecards is very very good.
    I used it to restore a 77 year old M442a its now wearable it was not before.
    For boots I use Courteney boot wax. It's difficult to get over here in the UK but there is a shop in Brum that sells it.
    https://www.courteneyboot.com/courteney-product-care/
    https://store.westleyrichards.com/co...y-cleaning-kit
    The boots whilst ugly are the most comfortable I own.

Ah I am plain bloody lucky. I bought some at a local horse fair a couple of years ago. It was used to keep saddles etc all nice and shiny.
    I wasn’t aware of this and just bought some a month or so ago from Amazon.

Anyone else looking search Mars Care Leather Cream

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Is this the stuff you mean
    ?

http://www.stormcare.co.uk/mars/material/leather.html

http://www.sportingsupplies.co.uk/co...n-uk/d572.html

No - same manufacturer but their oil, which is fish-based, comes in a tin with an applicator brush attached to the inside of the lid. A bit like this:

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Wouldn't be complete without someone putting in a word for Gliptone products https://www.liquidleather.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yep we are!!!!
    Pecards is very very good.
    I used it to restore a 77 year old M442a its now wearable it was not before.
    For boots I use Courteney boot wax. It's difficult to get over here in the UK but there is a shop in Brum that sells it.
    https://www.courteneyboot.com/courteney-product-care/
    https://store.westleyrichards.com/co...y-cleaning-kit
    The boots whilst ugly are the most comfortable I own.
    It’s a shame they are not waterproof, but I guess safari boots don’t really need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    It’s a shame they are not waterproof, but I guess safari boots don’t really need to be.
    Never had an issue of feet getting wet, once treated they are as good as you need unless you are ankle deep in mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Never had an issue of feet getting wet, once treated they are as good as you need unless you are ankle deep in mud.
    Good to know - thank you.