closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ana-digital inspiration, any suggestions? Show me yours.

Master

Question Ana-digital inspiration, any suggestions? Show me yours.

I've got a real hankering for an ana-Digital watch these days but I've googled and searched and there doesn't seem to be anything available I'd like.

I did find a watch that's near on perfect but they are non existent these days. It is an Orient and I've got a dislike for their (cigarette co.) logo but I think I could overlook for this.

Criteria...

'Normal' style steel case watch (no G-shock style)
    Must have normal lugs (no integrated bracelet)
    Must have a seconds hand
    Ideally a nice newer reverse type digital display (not the old LCD type)

In a perfect world something that looks like a smaller version of Breitling B50 cockpit (as the digital side looks great)

Can anyone think of something I may get used that I can setup an eBay search for? I actually own a Seiko ana-digital (although its integrated bracelet) which I've never seen searching so I know there must be stuff out there I haven't seen.

Journeyman
    How about a Breitling Aerospace?
    Very similar to the Orient you posted a picture of.

Ticks all your criteria surely?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Tag Heuer have done a few over the years.
    Tag Heuer Professional Multigraph WK111A-0 Digital Analog
    TAG Heuer Men's CAF1010.BA0821 Aquaracer Chronotimer ....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stiver3 View Post
    How about a Breitling Aerospace?
    Very similar to the Orient you posted a picture of.

Ticks all your criteria surely?
    Not the steel case (titanium), or second hand.

Master
    Titanium would be ok, just not composite/plastic.

Aerospace is almost there but they don't seem to have a seconds hand. Cockpit is nice but look huge and way out of my budget. I should have said I Was hoping to find something along the lines of the Orient in the hundreds rather than thousands. More of an every day beater price and Breitling money (for me personally) isn't beater watch money.

Not a fan of the Tag's styling, but thanks for the ref no's.

I doubt I'll find anything closer than the Orient really, but thought I'd try as I'd never seen that until yesterday. Maybe a wanted ad for one soon but thread could throw up an alternative. Certainly doesn't seem to be anything new available the same look and money.
    Last edited by jameswrx; 27th November 2017 at 14:30.

Pulsar do a lot of variations of this one

I had an Aerospace but became disillusioned with it as the tabs tore my cuffs to pieces.
    So I bought one of these....

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master
    Years ago Timberland did a sort of pseudo-Aerospace.

Actually I've just remembered, I have this:

I've had the second hand removed since that was taken, to give it a more of a budget Aerospace feel. They turn up on SC sometimes. Forget what I paid but probably about £100. Looks great on a NATO with bead-blasted parts.

Victorinox - this model can still be found new and dicounted - but no seconds hand

There are others from Tissot, Chopard, Omega but the price range is quite wide. Junghans used to do one but I don't see it on the current models list.

Blog Entries
    Try this

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...ction-25218100

could be available second hand for less than £1K

sorry- not a second hand :-(

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th November 2017 at 23:54.

£80 from Argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6147950

Cheers,

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Victorinox - this model can still be found new and dicounted - but no seconds hand

There are others from Tissot, Chopard, Omega but the price range is quite wide. Junghans used to do one but I don't see it on the current models list.
    Any idea of the model number?

Master
    I've 2 of these
    C022 by biglewie, on Flickr
    C023 by biglewie, on Flickr
    And 2 of these
    H558 by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 28th November 2017 at 18:40.

Blog Entries
    Certina Multi8 are good value IMHO

... but no seconds hand

z

Ooh, I like that Pulsar - lot of watch for £80.

I think Baum & Mercier did a watch with the same movement as the TAG, but my memory's not what it was...

Master
    I actually already have 3 Citizen C022's, was more after the same look as the Breitling/Orient rather than older stuff (which I have a load of)

The Pulsar, I'm pretty sure I had in a job lot I bought off eBay (for another Seiko movt) and it was huge. I'll double check though but (may be pathetic) I've never like the name/brand. It didn't really look great in the metal either, well it can't of caught my eye as I flipped it after I got the watch I needed in the lot.

Good to see plenty of suggestions. Those Victorinox are nearly there! (Lack of seconds hand again)

Chopard Grand Prix de Monaco Historique Time Attack MF.

I have these two

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Any idea of the model number?
    Victorinox XLS MT

Toying with the idea of one of these, have seen one for £90

Pulsar's your answer if you want to scratch the itch for little money.

I bought an NX-14 for about £25!

I don't wear it much, to be honest, but as a cheap X-33 alike you can't go wrong (if you can find one!)

ETA - Although you'll have to forgo the strap option with this particular model.

If you're looking for something a bit more 'prestige', what about a Breitling Aerospace or better, a B-1?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 27th November 2017 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Toying with the idea of one of these, have seen one for £90
    £72 on Amazon today (with the reverse LCD too)

Mark C

This wouldn't fit the OP's parameters, but I quite liked this Seiko when it came out.

It's in a drawer now for many a year so the battery is probably gone, but perhaps I should do something about that.

My Attesa has supplanted it in all, but looks!
    Last edited by Denizen; 28th November 2017 at 17:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    This wouldn't fit the OP's parameters, but I quite liked this Seiko when it came out.

It's in a drawer now for many a year so the battery is probably gone, but perhaps I should do something about that.

I already have that exact watch! It's a lovely watch and a pretty nice bracelet but the integrated bit is a shame. I find the pushers really long too but it's smart. I love the digital seconds trace. I have a few ana-digi's but I just want one I can swap straps on and has that Breitling look with a seconds hand.

And edited to add... you should change the battery asap! It'd be a shame if it's ruined with a battery leak. I changed mine the other day.

Blog Entries
    X-33. Titanium, 20mm lugs, second hand, not too large, hugely practical. 1st and 2nd gen ones aren't "reverse" LCD, but otherwise I'd say they fit the bill nicely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    X-33. Titanium, 20mm lugs, second hand, not too large, hugely practical. 1st and 2nd gen ones aren't "reverse" LCD, but otherwise I'd say they fit the bill nicely.
    The later x33 with the black bezel is a beauty but way out of my league financially for the type of watch. I see the ana-digital as a 'second' watch or beater style and I'd have to sell most of my watches to get one. If I had plenty of money I could see it as a great companion to a 5513 Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I already have that exact watch! It's a lovely watch and a pretty nice bracelet but the integrated bit is a shame. I find the pushers really long too but it's smart. I love the digital seconds trace. I have a few ana-digi's but I just want one I can swap straps on and has that Breitling look with a seconds hand.

And edited to add... you should change the battery asap! It'd be a shame if it's ruined with a battery leak. I changed mine the other day.
    I'm a bracelet man for the majority of my watches. And an ana-digi on a strap would be, for me...less attractive. The X33 2nd gen was something I was interested in getting a decade ago, but never pulled the trigger. Glad now that I never did.

As for the battery, I've a Precista also that needs changing too. See the pattern? ;-)

Ana-digital inspiration, any suggestions? Show me yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post

My Attesa has supplanted it in all, but looks!
    That's really nice

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If the third generation x33 didn't drown so readily it would be my perfect -if rather expensive for such a purpose- Combi-dialed beater.
    Cracking watch, great design easy to use etc just so aquaphobic.
    Joe

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Well I found an Orient on eBay the other day (after starting the thread). It's well worn, dirty and the seconds hand is wrong. Was looking like it was going to go for peanuts but it finished late and I had been up since 3 so couldn't stay up so left a bid for above what I really wanted to pay. Yep you guessed it I win for the exact same amount of my max bid Always makes me suspicious when that happens, even £1 below would be ok but why does that always happen to me! It's why I never leave bids anymore but bid in the last few secs live, I just couldn't do it last night. I don't really get how one other random person, 5 secs before finish can tap in the exact same amount I did. What's the chances.

Anyway, I have plans for it which involve a matte finish and a flat AR coated sapphire.

I thought finding a flat AR sapphire would be easy but it seems not. Any suggestions on suppliers?

Blog Entries
    Always makes me suspicious when that happens, even £1 below would be ok but why does that always happen to me! It's why I never leave bids anymore but bid in the last few secs live, I just couldn't do it last night. I don't really get how one other random person, 5 secs before finish can tap in the exact same amount I did. What's the chances.
    They didn't bid the exact same amount you did; the bid less than you within the bid increment range.

Could it have been bid up little bit by little bit to guess your max bid? Maybe, but there's often a particular price that things go for and this could just be evidence that you know the correct market value. ;-)

Master

I looked at the bid history and saw they bid the same as me in the last 5 secs so just assumed that's what they did. Either way they'd have either bid the same or £2 less.

Regards market value, don't know but I probably paid too much really, looks a bit tired, wrong seconds hand and says something along the lines of 'works but sold as is' which sounded like eBay talk for dead on arrival haha. But that's the joys of bidding on eBay and why I usually sell auctions as people get carried away.

I only usually bid in last few secs rather than leaving a bid, you can bet your life if I forget about an auction ending it'll go for peanuts! Just my luck.

Anyway, I'd probably have been annoyed if I'd lost it for £2 more than I bid so it's all good.

I looked at the bid history and saw they bid the same as me in the last 5 secs so just assumed that's what they did. Either way they'd have either bid the same or £2 less.

Regards market value, don't know but I probably paid too much really, looks a bit tired, wrong seconds hand and says something along the lines of 'works but sold as is' which sounded like eBay talk for dead on arrival haha. But that's the joys of bidding on eBay and why I usually sell auctions as people get carried away.

I only usually bid in last few secs rather than leaving a bid, you can bet your life if I forget about an auction ending it'll go for peanuts! Just my luck.

Anyway, I'd probably have been annoyed if I'd lost it for £2 more than I bid so it's all good.
    If the bid arrives in the last 5 seconds there's a good chance that they're using a bid sniper, and your competitor was probably nicely tucked up in bed when the auction ended.

Quote Originally Posted by strutjack View Post
    If the bid arrives in the last 5 seconds there's a good chance that they're using a bid sniper, and your competitor was probably nicely tucked up in bed when the auction ended.
    Certainly what I do.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Sometimes pays off to wait until the last to bid but obviously it carries an inherent risk if anything in your chain of technology has 'a moment'.
    I have considered those Brauns previously due to their clean and minimal design

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    £72 on Amazon today (with the reverse LCD too)

Mark C
    Yielded to temptation and this just arrived,, £65 via AMAZON. Fair enough, I thought