closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Car "toys"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You should use taxi's - far safer for the world TBH if you struggle with basic car control stuff.
    Cruise control has been perfectly self explanatory in the past on every other car I've drjven, one button, done. Maybe I should take a taxi, but I don't consider multiple button combinations on the first time driving a car, in the dark, with a steering wheel with a dozen odd buttons, to be the most basic thing in the world. It is of course something I'll get used to, but the point is they took one step and turned it into three. And there is now just more stuff to go wrong.
    Last edited by hafle; 20th December 2017 at 23:02.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Cruise control has been perfectly self explanatory in the past on every other car I've drjven, one button, done. Maybe I should take a taxi, but I don't consider multiple button combinations on the first time driving a car, in the dark, with a steering wheel with a dozen odd buttons, to be the most basic thing in the world. It is of course something I'll get used to, but the point is they took one step and turned it into three. And there is now just more stuff to go wrong.
    Stop driving - you are dangerous to yourself and others.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Highly tuned N.A. engine.

Rifle-bolt manual box.

Bridgestones.
    You were doing alright until you mentioned "Bridgestones".

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Stop driving - you are dangerous to yourself and others.
    You're really worrying me now.
    I would have no idea what these buttons, features, aids, gizmos etc do. My driving is done completely without anything but basic car electrics (lighting,ignition, key starting); my safety is not reliant on airbags, electronic braking control, electronic navigation save a plug-in satnav for the rare occasions when a map won't hack it. My road positioning is reliant 100% on my observational powers and vehicle handling technique. I have to leave sufficient space to brake safely in any event (though other drivers take great delight in shoehorning themselves into the gap so that I can sometimes get further and further away from where I'm going).
    At one time I would say that my braking ad acceleration performance was more than adequate. Now, through no fault of my own, I find that everything else on the road can - and does- out-accelerate and out-brake me.
    My car has no safety features other than a substantial rigid chassis and a sturdy wood-reinforced body, and a kerb weight of a ton-and-a half. In fact it has a four-foot-six steel rigid tube attached to the front crossmember and pointing directly at my ribcage; quite an incentive not to drive into anything.

Maybe I too am a danger. I don't feel like one.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    You were doing alright until you mentioned "Bridgestones".

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    They're OE and seem to work fairly well.

Open to recommendations for replacement (and willing to trade increased wear for more grip provided breakaway is progressive).

It used to be rust, or short lived mechanicals that were the key components of built in obsolescence. Due to consumer pressure this was resolved decades ago (with a few acceptions of course)

Now, its electronics that kill them as they age - often with many years of life left in the bodywork and engine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Haven't had a sunroof for years. I like them but my wife doesn't and could only use one when alone.

Not that common - are they even an option on most cars?
    Mostly an option these days but it's one of my must haves when buying a car. The last car I had without was an S4 back in the early 90's (I made an exception for that car) I rarely use aircon, just have the roof open.

My new Kia has ventilated (as well as heated) leather seats and earlier this year when it was 30+ degrees and my gentlemen’s area was a touch sweaty, a gentle waft of cool air around the aforementioned was really rather pleasant.....

Wasn’t a tick box on the options list but just came with the trim level I chose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gog View Post
    My new Kia has ventilated (as well as heated) leather seats and earlier this year when it was 30+ degrees and my gentlemen’s area was a touch sweaty, a gentle waft of cool air around the aforementioned was really rather pleasant.....

Wasn’t a tick box on the options list but just came with the trim level I chose.
    I was converted to vented seats when they came as standard on my 2003 Mondeo (the top Ghia X spec) - they were heated and vented leather - brilliant in all seasons and looked pretty good too.

Open to recommendations for replacement (and willing to trade increased wear for more grip provided breakaway is progressive).
    I usually had Bridgestones on my RX-8 - I tried other tyres, but always went back to Bridgestones - Some cars just work best on them.

M

You consider the MX5 'highly tuned'?

Lol...!
    I'm having a plug-and-play ECU fitted right now and shortly will have 240BHP in my MK1 MX-5. Each to their own.
    "A man of little significance"

Paradas. Brilliant in the dry, not so good in the wet but you feel exactly where each end of the car is.
    "A man of little significance"

I always thought a heated steering wheel was a toy too far but it is now a must have!
    My other favourite is alcantara seat covering. You don't get that too hot or too cold like with leather. Lovely and grippy.

Master
    This auto tailgate people are talking about, is that a fancy name for cruise control on certain German brands where if you set it to 70 and there's a car in front doing 69 it'll position your car 6 inches from the rear bumper of the car in front?

I get by with electric windows, remote locking, a radio and a little switch on the dash to adjust the differential's between tarmac, gravel or snow. I did have air con but it was rarely used and stopped working a few years ago so last time I had the car in for service I paid the mechanic to rip it all out. It was cheaper than fixing it and it's tidied up the engine bay a treat.

How is the auto tailgate essential if you still have functioning arms? - I mean it’s nice but?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My new RS5 has got massage seats and virtual cockpit, it's like sitting in a plane.

Yup. On the 07 golf cruise control was one button, job done. On the new one I am driving it is 3 buttons and on-screen prompts. On the old one, I could press one button and increase speed by around 1mph, on this one, press one button and it takes you from 45-50, meaning I then have to hit the breaks or such because I only wanted to do 48.

Adaptive cruise control then. Ok, os I was sat doing 60 yesterday, my turnoff comes up which has an incredibly sharp 30mph corner. Traffic tends to slow down at this point, so the car automatically reduces to 30, excelent I thought. Once I pulled off the road though the sensors detected no traffic ahead, so promptly started accelerating me upto 60 at this corner. Stupid imo.
    You can do 1mph increments using the "Res" and "Set" buttons once up to your set speed or you can just accelerate as normal until you reach the speed you want to maintain and then hit the "Set" button.

On your second point, that is kind of how adaptive cruise works - it doesn't know your intentions, only whether the radar detects an object - probably not wise to use it at junctions and slipways for example.

While something that I'll no doubt get used to, it also annoying that I can't even turn the car on without having a food on the break, and can't even move the car unless drivers seat belt is plugged in.
    Assuming this is the same Golf as above - you can, you just have to manually release the parking break - without the drivers seatbelt plugged it it won't automatically turn it off, but you can still hit the button yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Assuming this is the same Golf as above - you can, you just have to manually release the parking break - without the drivers seatbelt plugged it it won't automatically turn it off, but you can still hit the button yourself.
    Do it yourself? What are you thinking, man!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Do it yourself? What are you thinking, man!

M
    I know right, so 20th Century

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    It used to be rust, or short lived mechanicals that were the key components of built in obsolescence. Due to consumer pressure this was resolved decades ago (with a few acceptions of course)

Now, its electronics that kill them as they age - often with many years of life left in the bodywork and engine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Good point.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I must admit that the heated windscreen on my wife's car is a boon.

It saves me being woken up in the morning with that awful scraping.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've just returned my Skoda Octavia & my new car isn't being delivered until the new year. So I'm currently driving my 1955 Morris Minor. No seat belts, no flashing indicators, just trafficators. No headrests on the seats, no radio, no collapsible steering column, just a big spike on the steering wheel ;-). Crossply tyres, no ABS, drum brakes, no satnav, no airbags, no parktronic, no central locking, no keyless go, manual windows, no self-parking windscreen wipers, no electronics, no reversing light, no fog light, no A/C. It does have a rudimentary heater. Very fun to drive though & you always get let out into a queue by other drivers
    My first car didn't have them either (1959 100E), so i perhaps why I appreciate them over a sun roof, dipping wing mirrors or automatic lights. (All of what my E350 has)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

When I had the i3 being able to programme it to pre-heat before you left the house on a cold winter morning was great. Basically you find the car fully defrosted and toasty warm inside. That car is with me no more soI would say satnav and heated seats are my favourites on the current car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post

On your second point, that is kind of how adaptive cruise works - it doesn't know your intentions, only whether the radar detects an object - probably not wise to use it atjunctions and slipways for example.
    It is never a good idea to use cruise control on a slipway, unless you are driving an Amphicar.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    You're really worrying me now.
    I would have no idea what these buttons, features, aids, gizmos etc do. My driving is done completely without anything but basic car electrics (lighting,ignition, key starting); my safety is not reliant on airbags, electronic braking control, electronic navigation save a plug-in satnav for the rare occasions when a map won't hack it. My road positioning is reliant 100% on my observational powers and vehicle handling technique. I have to leave sufficient space to brake safely in any event (though other drivers take great delight in shoehorning themselves into the gap so that I can sometimes get further and further away from where I'm going).
    At one time I would say that my braking ad acceleration performance was more than adequate. Now, through no fault of my own, I find that everything else on the road can - and does- out-accelerate and out-brake me.
    My car has no safety features other than a substantial rigid chassis and a sturdy wood-reinforced body, and a kerb weight of a ton-and-a half. In fact it has a four-foot-six steel rigid tube attached to the front crossmember and pointing directly at my ribcage; quite an incentive not to drive into anything.

Maybe I too am a danger. I don't feel like one.

We just went to a brand new car after 13 years with an older one. There's no doubt in my mind that some of the modern tech' is difficult to fathom. Also that the sundry bleeps & alarms are distracting.

Don't get me wrong advances in braking & crash resistance are well worth having but a lot of tech' (particularly touchscreens etc- which you can't operate by feel) are just more stuff to look at & concentrate on whilst not actually looking through the windscreen & concentrating on where you're going/ what you're doing..

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    We just went to a brand new car after 13 years with an older one. There's no doubt in my mind that some of the modern tech' is difficult to fathom. Also that the sundry bleeps & alarms are distracting.

Don't get me wrong advances in braking & crash resistance are well worth having but a lot of tech' (particularly touchscreens etc- which you can't operate by feel) are just more stuff to look at & concentrate on whilst not actually looking through the windscreen & concentrating on where you're going/ what you're doing..
    I think you have a fair point.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Heated door handles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    How is the auto tailgate essential if you still have functioning arms? - I mean it’s nice but?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For myself, my car is a white taxi so you can imagine how quickly it gets stinking in this weather, plus it’s an estate so that just exacerbates the problem. Opening from inside the car and then pressing the button inside the boot to close it stops my hands getting dirty every time I have to open the boot to put peoples shopping in.

8-track

Master
    I went from driving a basic fabia with no extras to an 07 golf, to a new golf with all the bells and whistles. I want the fabia back, can't stand the "progress". The only thing I do like is cruise control, but not stupid adaptive cruise control.
    Cruise control is great for twisty country lanes, set it to the speed limit and hang on tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Cruise control is great for twisty country lanes, set it to the speed limit and hang on tight.
    Like your style.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    The most useless feature on Mrs T-7's X5 is the Parktronic. It goes like this: you reverse out of the drive, hit the wall, then the Parktronic beeps to tell you you're getting very close to hitting the wall

Craftsman
    My revelation was a self dipping rear view mirror. Who remembers the joys of a "boy racer" behind in an XR2 with badly adjusted driving lights?

New car has far too many toys most of which I have not found and reading the manual is a task for the Christmas break!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A windscreen would be nice.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

A chauffeur?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche