closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calling all ageing video gamers..

Craftsman

Calling all ageing video gamers..

You'll notice the age thing by me calling them 'Video Gamers'..

Well, someone here did the good deed of posting up the ebay discount on here, so thanks for that. I'd been looking tentatively at a game console with a little more time on my hands these days but I didn't want to spend a whole lot on something I might and most likely will not use much.
    With the discount I've picked up an Xbox One S for a few pennies short of £160 with a couple of titles included.

The game I'm really after to play is 'Elite Dangerous', which is a remake of the title released for the BBC Micro many years ago, and where I whiled away many a long hour as a young man wandering round the video galaxy in a game that was well ahead of its time.

Over the years I've had the good old Atari 2600, BBC Model B, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, PS2, Nintendo Wii and an Xbox 360. A few PC games dotted about but not much.

Any other old time gamers out there then?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    You'll notice the age thing by me calling them 'Video Gamers'..

Well, someone here did the good deed of posting up the ebay discount on here, so thanks for that. I'd been looking tentatively at a game console with a little more time on my hands these days but I didn't want to spend a whole lot on something I might and most likely will not use much.
    With the discount I've picked up an Xbox One S for a few pennies short of £160 with a couple of titles included.

The game I'm really after to play is 'Elite Dangerous', which is a remake of the title released for the BBC Micro many years ago, and where I whiled away many a long hour as a young man wandering round the video galaxy in a game that was well ahead of its time.

Over the years I've had the good old Atari 2600, BBC Model B, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, PS2, Nintendo Wii and an Xbox 360. A few PC games dotted about but not much.

Any other old time gamers out there then?
    I think we refer to ourselves as 'retro gamers' 😂 Current list:

SNES x2 plus about 40 original boxed games
    Snes Mini
    Mega Drive 1 plus about 12 original boxed games
    Original Gameboy
    Gameboy Advance
    N64
    PSP
    PS2
    PS3

Need to add a PS4 Pro and VR and a Switch to the collection I think as well as continuing to collect 16bit titles 😊
    Last edited by dougair; 1st January 2018 at 19:15.

You’ll love watching this Aussie gent’s YouTube vids: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLastGamertube

He takes retro gaming to another level!

This may not be your era or genre but check out the pandora 6 box from ebay. 1099 retro games in one console. I'm seriously considering it !

Craftsman
    A while back I built a system to run RetroPie, I was more interested in the challenge of setting the system up than playing the games... But I found some old video games I used to play as a kid, DigDug I probably play most.

If you like playing old console games or arcade games have a look at this. There are plenty of youtube videos that you can follow and I think the hardware: RaspberryPie, Case, SD Card, Power pack and controllers came in at about £80.00

Master
    The Ataribox is released in 2018:

Waiting list here:
    https://ataribox.com/

Master
    My Mum recently handed me my Sinclair ZX81. That took me right back to cold, lonely hours inputting line upon line of basic in the vain hope that something good might happen in the end.
    I still cry when I hear or see "Syntax Error in Line..."
    Am I qualified to join the group???

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    My Mum recently handed me my Sinclair ZX81. That took me right back to cold, lonely hours inputting line upon line of basic in the vain hope that something good might happen in the end.

The joys of 1k ram and using that keyboard for hours inputting code . Saved up for my ZX81 doing a paper job and my mum ordered it for me through cutting out the order form in a newspaper. Times have change slightly !

Master
    I refuse to be categorised as old :-) I had a 2600, PSX, Wii, original Xbox and was a Live beta trialist, GBA, Neogeo, MAME, Retropie, 5 x Xbox 360, 2 x Xbox One and currently have a XB1 S and a X. I may have a problem....in fact I have probably forgot some in that list.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I think we refer to ourselves as 'retro gamers'
    I'd rather be a retro gamer than a contemprary one http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42523045

And thease days games seem to be primarily about ticking boxes, micro transactions, and leaderboards. My ps2 and n64 get far far more use than my xbox 1. The internet made console games suck! SNES and super amrio kart is about as far back as my gaming goes.

At 38 I suppose I'm an ageing video gamer, currently have an xbox one (which I very rarely play) and a mid range gaming PC, mostly play The Division on it, been thinking about getting player unknowns Battleground at some point very soon. Other than that I play Golf Clash on my iPhone.

Craftsman
    Good stuff.. I think I prefer the term 'Retro Gamer'.. :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Good god, all of a sudden I remember our first demonstration in prmary school with I believe a ZX80, and our teacher showing us the future!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post

Waiting list here:
    Cool thing that, tipping a nod to the wood-trimmed original 2600 then.

Craftsman
    Since the ZX81 was mentioned, and going slightly off at a tangent, I'd highly recommend the BBC programme 'Micro Men' for anyone who has an interest in those early computing days and hasn't seen it. It's very well done and captures an exciting time pretty well..

Craftsman
    I loved the commodore 64 and had a huge number of games for it .some of my favourites were manic miner, summer games , pole position. The games were simple compared to today but were good fun to play .Elite was probably the greatest game

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I'd rather be a retro gamer than a contemprary one http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42523045

And thease days games seem to be primarily about ticking boxes, micro transactions, and leaderboards. My ps2 and n64 get far far more use than my xbox 1. The internet made console games suck! SNES and super amrio kart is about as far back as my gaming goes.
    Online gaming has definitely ruined gaming as developers don't bother enough with a plot/story/campaign these days. Its just all about quick reward online co-op play.

I played spectrum 48k, Nintendo, master system, SNES, megadrive, PS, Xbox, PS2, PS3 but then lost interest as the games became more about the online.

My son is now the one that plays on the PS4. He tries to get me to join in but the games just don't interest me. We got him a switch for Christmas so I'll probably school him in mario kart at some point.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

I suppose I'm an ageing online gamer, I started with Duke Nukem 3D in early 96 but when quake was released mid year it was a revelation. I remember connecting to bulletin boards in the states to get the ip addresses of servers that were up then manually entering said address in the quake console to connect to a game, all this on a 28.8kbps modem. Once Qspy was developed and released it made finding and connecting to games a whole lot easier. Anyone remember the Barrysworld servers? Happy days!

At 46 I fall into this category. I have a gaming PC, a Nintendo Switch, a PS4 Pro, a PS4, a SNES Mini and a NES Mini. My mainly race iRacing online on the PC and play Zelda and Mario on the Switch. I've put a lot of time into The Witcher 3 on PS4 as well. I recently got PUBG for PC and have been enjoying that.

Having been playing consistently since the late 1970s I think I can join in on this. I play a wide range of game genres, but do have a preference for story driven single player titles like Red dead redemption, Last of Us and the Witcher 3.

Craftsman
    Haven't picked up a controller for nearly a year now. New Baby will destroy your time. But my gaming evolution was
    Zx spectrum , sega master system , then megadrive then became a Sony convert ps 1-4.
    Pc games interspersed mainly real time strategy such as command and conquer, StarCraft and Warcraft.

Craftsman
    Still have all my old Nintendo’s!

NES
    SNES (and now a SNES mini)
    N64
    GameCube
    Wii

Also had an original gameboy and Nintendo DS.

Had all the PlayStation’s and now on the PS4.

Xbox360 and an Atari Lynx too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardcore gamer here. I’ve had everything from a zx128k right up to my current 1080ti powered PC. Being the type who likes to tinker Pc was always going to be the way went. On average I seem to find myself tinkering with it and changing something every few month. Currently I’m addicted to an old favourite that keeps coming back, Planetside 2. There’s something in it you just can’t get with other FPS games, maybe the 300 vs 300 fights. Anyway if you ever find yourself downloading steam send me a Pm with your username. I do have hundreds of other titles in my library so I’m sure we’ll have a few in common.

Master
    Although we have a lot of consoles in our house, we have 3 boys who love a variety of diff games, the last game I played on the PS4 was the re-lease of Modern Warfare, I like the familiar maps that aren't too sprawling, although it has been a reminder that my reaction times & eyesight has def gone downhill in the last 9 years or so since the original was released on the PS3.

For me the pinnacle of gaming was;

2 x PS1 consoles, 2 x TVs, 1X link cable, 2 x copies of WipEout, V-Rally, Red Alert & Doom

Link up the 2 consoles, play with the TVs back to back, playing 2 player without any split screens, good fun, think it helped that it coincided with the end of my first doomed marriage, was some much needed mindless fun

I’m a gamer too. My son also has the bug. We have two pretty decent desktops in the house for PC gaming, a Nintendo switch, wii u, wii and various Nintendo handhelds. We also have an Xbox 360 that gets little use these days. There is a c64, Acorn electron, BBC B, ZX spectrum, PS1 and an Amiga in the loft that might get used again one day. I also have an Nvidia Shield tablet and controller for the odd casual session.

I think in some ways I enjoy the tech as much as the games though....

Master
    Was gaming in the arcade before home gaming even became viable.

My Christmas pressie to myself was a raspberry Pi so I can make a retro gaming console.

I carry an Xbox one and PS4 with me when on business as it keeps me away from the booze in the exec lounge when I get bored.

Despite what “the kids” think, us mid-40s to early-50s types are really the video games generation, and have truly grown up with them.

We started with home Pong machines, moved onto Atari VCS and handheld electronic games, then early home computers (ZX, C64 etc) and NES, then Mega Drive and SNES, PCs and Playstation, and then each subsequent generation of each.

I’ve dipped in-and-out - I lost interest in my late teens to early 20s (different priorities at that age), and haven’t had the last couple of gens of PS/X-Box - but I certainly have a few decades of video game experience.

I probably hsve the fondest memories of the Atari VCS, which was obviously revolutionary at the time, and the Atari 8-bit computer systems.

Craftsman
    Some really interesting responses. I don't feel quite so alone now! :)

I keep wondering whether I should become a 'Born again Gamer' as I quite fancy a PS4 and GT Sport.

I haven't had a console since my PS2 and loved playing GT2 on it, but prior to that I had a PS One, Sega Megadrive, ZX Spectrum 48K, Atari 2600 and something which pre-dated the Atari which had dial paddle controls but I was almost too young to recall what it was.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    A very distant memory, but I had a Spectrum 48 and loved a game called Chuckie Egg, at least thats what I think it was called.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzafaegreenock View Post
    Hardcore gamer here. I’ve had everything from a zx128k right up to my current 1080ti powered PC. Being the type who likes to tinker Pc was always going to be the way went. On average I seem to find myself tinkering with it and changing something every few month. Currently I’m addicted to an old favourite that keeps coming back, Planetside 2. There’s something in it you just can’t get with other FPS games, maybe the 300 vs 300 fights. Anyway if you ever find yourself downloading steam send me a Pm with your username. I do have hundreds of other titles in my library so I’m sure we’ll have a few in common.
    I'm desperate to get back into PC gaming, having stopped when the PS3 was launched, the last PC I had was an Athlon X2 3800+ (amazing chip for the money) and an 8800 GTS. The problem I find now is that the gfx cards are ridiculously expensive if you're wanting to game in 1440p.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    A very distant memory, but I had a Spectrum 48 and loved a game called Chuckie Egg, at least thats what I think it was called.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It was Chuckie Egg. There was also Chuckie Egg 2. Back in the day I used to spend countless hours on these, Horace goes skiing, and Jet set willy and Jet Pack. Ah, the good ol' days!
    Last edited by Roth1; 2nd January 2018 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post

Waiting list here:
    Damn you, I had the original - I've signed up!

Started with a binatone 'Pong' type thing - then Atari 2600 then my mum decided I couldn't have a spectrum like all the cool kids in school and got me an Acorn Electron instead. But still - had fun with C90 cassettes full of games I'd taped off the only other two kids in the school who had the same machine.

After that I went Sega for ages, master system, mega drive and game gear then kinda lost interest until the Ps1, which arrived in my first year of Uni and blew my mind. Ended up with a chipped ps1 so it could play import copies and as soon as we got the original Gran Turismo that was it - fully hooked. Remember the licence challenges taking us ages to do as our copy was Japanese and we couldn't read the instructions that you had to stop in the checkered box not just cross the line under the time!

Can't remember whether it was GT1 or GT2 that allowed 4 player split screen with the banana connector thing, but that almost ruined my degree course. Four of us sharing a house got totally absorbed into that - to the extent that we clubbed together to buy (what seemed at the time) a massive 28" TV so we could all race head to head. That and the Gun Bullet Japanese game with the light guns (and later Die Hard, that was amazing) occupied a hell of a lot of our study time.

Bought a ps2 on release day and loved wipeout and the next version of Gran Turismo - fully completed that one, including all of the crazy endurance races. Then went with a psp, but mostly just ended up playing Lumines on that.

Didn't move to ps3 until Gran Turismo was released for it and then again, nailed that one to completion - hardly used it for anything else. Had a Wii alongside that to get my wife engaged in gaming and had some fun with mario kart and wii sports.

Have just bought a ps4 pro to go with my 4k TV ready for when Gran Turismo Sport was released and have been loving playing that using the motion sensors on the controller. Graphically stunning and all but a couple of endurance races from being finished in 'offline' mode now. Haven't done any online races yet as I'm waiting for my buddy who I went to uni with to get his up and running (was a Christmas present from his wife) as he now lives in Canada and we've not had a race against each other in over 10 years. I am far more excited about this prospect than any self respecting forty-something father of three should be!

Have tried Battlefront on the ps4 too - and while it is graphically brilliant and I'm a reasonably high grade Star Wars nerd - I just can't do FPS type games, really wish I could.

Master
    Worth a watch if you are an ageing gamer, language may not be suitable for work, depends where you work I guess:
    Last edited by wampa; 2nd January 2018 at 18:37.

Strongly considering buying a PS4 just for Red Dead Redemption 2 - absolutely loved the first one. Although wifey keeps asking when I think I'm going to have to time to play it, what with an 18 month old, a full time job, a part time hobby/job and a full time wife!

Few years ago I bought a retro arcade table with just shy of 1000 games, from very early Atari up to sonic the hedgehog

Hours of fun but as these games were designed to make you spend money, I had forgotten just how bloody difficult they were, even the early ones.

Always funny to see a game that remember calling my parents in to see the "amazing graphics" - I especially remember raiders of the lost arc on the Atari, which looking at modern games, makes me feel very old.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth1 View Post
    It was Chuckie Egg. There was also Chuckie Egg 2. Back in the day I used to spend countless hours on these, Horace goes skiing, and Jet set willy and Jet Pack. Ah, the good ol' days!
    Holy crap! I forgot all about those. Memories of Atic Atac and Manic Miner have also just come flooding back. Crumbs..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Strongly considering buying a PS4 just for Red Dead Redemption 2 - absolutely loved the first one. Although wifey keeps asking when I think I'm going to have to time to play it, what with an 18 month old, a full time job, a part time hobby/job and a full time wife!
    First one was bloody brilliantly! Need to get the second. I always used to play call of duty late night when my son was born!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk