closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: U2 tickets

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

U2 tickets

Gentlemen

I had the opportunity to buy U2 tickets for the MEN Arena this morning. Clicked, put 2 in the basket. Total? £414! That's £207 each!!! I saw them in 1984 & paid £15 for a £6 ticket!

How can any artist justify that price? Glastonbury was only £225. I gulped when I paid £85 for Metallica, but it was my lad's first concert.

Unbelievable.

That's outrageous !!!!

Steps are only £58 !!!

https://www.getmein.com/tickets/step...on-317990.html

Al

Craftsman
    they trying to keep the riff-raff out.

The most I paid was just over £300 for 2 Kate Bush tickets when she played at Hammersmith in 2014, but that was rather special.

I've seen U2 a few times & I guess they are "premier league" so circa £100 would not be too OTT for decent seats
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The most I paid was just over £300 for 2 Kate Bush tickets when she played at Hammersmith in 2014, but that was rather special.

I've seen U2 a few times & I guess they are "premier league" so circa £100 would not be too OTT for decent seats
    I was expecting around £125 ish, but not £207. I'll "Obtain" a press pass & watch it for gratis.

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post

How can any artist justify that price?
    Supply and demand.
    Has nothing to do with value or quality.

They do put on a good show - I saw them in 2008 or thereabouts at Wembley - surprised they are playing the O2 this time. Price too much for me if that is regular tickest.

Master
    Just bought 2 for David Byrne at the Apollo for £94. My mate had 2 in his basket and balked at the £8 or fees on top and didn’t bother !
    Crazy price for U2, puts Glastonbury in perspective for the bargain it really is.

Master
    I saw them at the O2 a couple of years ago and it was £160 a ticket which made me cough. They do seem to be knocking out the tours now but I guess that is where the money is these days

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Just bought 2 for David Byrne at the Apollo for £94. My mate had 2 in his basket and balked at the £8 or fees on top and didn’t bother !
    Crazy price for U2, puts Glastonbury in perspective for the bargain it really is.
    Yeah, I was going to go to see David Byrne, but I'm not paying nigh on £100 for anyone, sorry.

I'll dig out my "Stop Making Sense" DVD instead.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I saw them at the O2 a couple of years ago and it was £160 a ticket which made me cough. They do seem to be knocking out the tours now but I guess that is where the money is these days

Proven formula - you don't need any new material, either.

I guess Bozo needs to buy another supermarket.

Just mental prices, I'm lucky to have seen most of the big acts of the last 40 years. So I pick and choose. Last year tickets for Metallica were £140 I thought that was a joke. Iron Maiden tickets are £58 at the O2 I guess their not as greedy? I'm going to that!

Craftsman
    There was an interesting story on this topic, personal economics and the rationalization of value, having to do with the ticket prices to see Bruce Springsteen on Broadway this year. (Average face value for tickets was $400+, and they regularly sold for thousands).

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/56313...onomics-lesson

It was a similar price when they played in Bogotá in October, putting tickets beyond the means of the vast majority of the population.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Just mental prices, I'm lucky to have seen most of the big acts of the last 40 years. So I pick and choose. Last year tickets for Metallica were £140 I thought that was a joke. Iron Maiden tickets are £58 at the O2 I guess their not as greedy? I'm going to that!
    Maiden are also going out of their way to stop touts hoovering up all the tickets. Good lads.

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-03-02/...t-ticket-touts

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    There was an interesting story on this topic, personal economics and the rationalization of value, having to do with the ticket prices to see Bruce Springsteen on Broadway this year. (Average face value for tickets was $400+, and they regularly sold for thousands).

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/56313...onomics-lesson
    That was interesting. Not many times have I thought about selling a ticket for profit, but one time was at Genesis at the Rainbow 1976, I was gutted that Gabriel had just left the band. It was the Trick of the Tail tour and a friend of mine was a Genesis nut so we went. I bought the ticket for about £1.50. As we queued some foreign fans (I think they were American) were trying to buy tickets from the queue. This guy offered me £60! About a weeks wages or more. Stupidly I turned him down. The show was ok but not the same without PG.

A couple of years later I had tickets for Kate Bush at the London Palladium, the touts were trying to buy tickets from us plebs. This tout stops me and says how much pointing at my ticket. I got him up to a hundred quid, but turned him down as I really wanted to see her...very pleased I did.

I had a spare ticket for Alice Cooper at Wembley one time, the show was sold out. But the touts only wanted to pay face value. I saw this guy about to get ripped off for ten times the ticket price, just as he was going to hand over the readies and gave him my spare ticket. He said how much, I said buy me beer inside...the tout was fuming, gave me a big smile on my face though.

Craftsman
    Gentlemen

I had the opportunity to buy U2 tickets for the MEN Arena this morning. Clicked, put 2 in the basket. Total? £414! That's £207 each!!! I saw them in 1984 & paid £15 for a £6 ticket!

How can any artist justify that price? Glastonbury was only £225. I gulped when I paid £85 for Metallica, but it was my lad's first concert.

Unbelievable.
    Laugh? I almost bought a Lithuanian Shopping Centre.

(On the QT, of course).

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    That was interesting. Not many times have I thought about selling a ticket for profit, but one time was at Genesis at the Rainbow 1976, I was gutted that Gabriel had just left the band. It was the Trick of the Tail tour and a friend of mine was a Genesis nut so we went. I bought the ticket for about £1.50. As we queued some foreign fans (I think they were American) were trying to buy tickets from the queue. This guy offered me £60! About a weeks wages or more. Stupidly I turned him down. The show was ok but not the same without PG.

A couple of years later I had tickets for Kate Bush at the London Palladium, the touts were trying to buy tickets from us plebs. This tout stops me and says how much pointing at my ticket. I got him up to a hundred quid, but turned him down as I really wanted to see her...very pleased I did.

I had a spare ticket for Alice Cooper at Wembley one time, the show was sold out. But the touts only wanted to pay face value. I saw this guy about to get ripped off for ten times the ticket price, just as he was going to hand over the readies and gave him my spare ticket. He said how much, I said buy me beer inside...the tout was fuming, gave me a big smile on my face though.
    I got offered £300 outside the MEN for Black Sabbath last year. No chance i was selling though!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Saw them at the 02 a few years ago. Was pretty dull, guess I saw them far too late in their career. (Im more of a ZooTV era fan but each time they toured I was not home)

Think I paid 150 on ebay last min

Got a ticket for David Byrne at Symphony Hall in Birmingham, only paid £50 for mine.Do the prices go up depending on the venue?

Master
    And do they still arrange their affairs "tax efficiently"?

Can't tell you how much it annoys me his (Bonio) pontificating as an anti-poverty campaigner while taking every opportunity to pay less tax.

For example:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...x-arrangements

Gentlemen

Unbelievable.

Flying your hat round the world first class doesn't come cheap, you know..

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    Q: What's the difference between God and Bono?

A: God doesn't walk the streets of Dublin pretending he's Bono.

I'll get me coat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yeah, I was going to go to see David Byrne, but I'm not paying nigh on £100 for anyone, sorry.

I'll dig out my "Stop Making Sense" DVD instead.

M.
    That was for 2 tickets with the fees, which in themselves are a piss take.
    Went to see him at the Bridgewater Hall nine years ago and he was sensational.

It must be a sign of getting old when paying bonkers prices for a good night out stops you.

I stopped years ago!

That was for 2 tickets with the fees, which in themselves are a piss take.
    Went to see him at the Bridgewater Hall nine years ago and he was sensational.
    Wow. I never saw tickets that cheap. I would have gone for that much!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Got a ticket for David Byrne at Symphony Hall in Birmingham, only paid £50 for mine.Do the prices go up depending on the venue?
    Don’t think there was much variation with regards to venue, 3 seperate tiers of prices per venue though.

Master
    Wow. I never saw tickets that cheap. I would have gone for that much!

I was funing the night before as was trying to talk my wife into and there was a pre sale on. She was faffing about and i missed them by seconds.
    Luckily i skived off for 10 mins or so on the friday and managed to get a pair, was shaking though, thought i’d blown it.

I was funing the night before as was trying to talk my wife into and there was a pre sale on. She was faffing about and i missed them by seconds.
    Luckily i skived off for 10 mins or so on the friday and managed to get a pair, was shaking though, thought i’d blown it.
    Damn. I was on holiday and only saw the tickets on Sunday evening, all 90+ by then... some well over 100

Oh well...

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    £220 for 2 tickets to see Joe Bonamassa in March.... Not 2 bad for good seats...

The wife and I wanted to see the Cranberries last year, in the end we decided it was too much money, looking back it would have been worth double as we won’t get the chance again.

Saw U2 last year on the Joshua tree tour, surprised they are touring again so quickly. But it’ll sell out.

Just think of it as an experience and by the time the concert comes round you’ll have forgotten about the cost.

Master
    Damn. I was on holiday and only saw the tickets on Sunday evening, all 90+ by then... some well over 100

Oh well...

M

Keep tabs on the prices, i’ve usually found they’re a bit mad in the week or so after the initial sale and they get more realistic as the weeks go on. Keep an eye on Twickets and such, you might get lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well...

M

Keep tabs on the prices, i’ve usually found they’re a bit mad in the week or so after the initial sale and they get more realistic as the weeks go on. Keep an eye on Twickets and such, you might get lucky.

He just added another date in London, so I snapped a ticket up!

M