closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolex to control distribution to individuals

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    You still like the deepsea though don't you or has that ship sailed too?
    True. I do love it and my guilty pleasure is a RG Daydate with Olive dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    True. I do love it and my guilty pleasure is a RG Daydate with Olive dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sooooooo want that same watch.....

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I sooooooo want that same watch.....
    Me three

Master
    Good!

No doubt people will work their way round it but if it keeps more watches away from grey dealers, I'd say it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Looks like Rolex are going the Patek way for the stainless sports range. Rumours have been circulating that people will only be able to buy a maximum of two professional range watches per year and this will be controlled directly by Rolex themselves. The move is clearly to stop the grey dealers getting on lists everywhere and hoovering up stock as well as stopping speculators doing the same thing and selling to the grey dealers.

So if you are on a waiting list, your watch may come sooner than you think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Do we honestly think it’s likely that an AD would retain stocks of desirable models in the safe just to develop the mystique of the watch. ADs want to sell watches
    You said it yourself, sell watches, plural, not a single hugely in demand watch and then nothing for days, so why not keep the watch back and tie it in as bait with another watch buy or two, in fact the situation is so seller friendly on the popular models that they are regularly asking for gold purchases to secure the lowly steel, as outlined here.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Good!

No doubt people will work their way round it but if it keeps more watches away from grey dealers, I'd say it's a good thing.
    Disagree. In the past Grey dealers have been able to offer unworn/ new watches at discounted prices, thus putting pressure on ADs to give discounts. The customers benefitted from this, no doubt about that.

if the grey dealers go to the wall it’ll be a bad thing for customers. Remember, there ate lots more watches to buy and enjoy than the few models that ate in short supply, it’s not all about Hulks, BLNRs etc, some people like the rest of the range and the grey dealers can offer these models at favourable prices.

Your logic’s a bit flawed IMO.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th February 2018 at 00:30.

Master
    Not seen many (online) dealers selling anything (vaguely newish) at less than list - or less than I could buy privately.

My serious beef is with people who buy watches with the sole intention of selling on for a profit.

I've no problem with individuals moving on watches they've worn but fancy a change or want to free up some cash for something new. I can't see what grey dealers bring to the party; there's a very active market between private individuals who will trade at whatever the parties decide. Dealing for profit doesn't help the enthusiast.

Anyway, what I think ain't going to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree. In the past Grey dealers have been able to offer unworn/ new watches at discounted prices, thus putting pressure on ADs to give discounts. The customers benefitted from this, no doubt about that.

if the grey dealers go to the wall it’ll be a bad thing for customers. Remember, there ate lots more watches to buy and enjoy than the few models that ate in short supply, it’s not all about Hulks, BLNRs etc, some people like the rest of the range and the grey dealers can offer these models at favourable prices.

You logic’s a bit flawed.

Paul

I have a friend who owns a limited addition deep sea model, and was interviewed by Rolex before being allowed to make the purchase

Journeyman
    I can see the logic in a 2 SS sports watch limit. SS watches are a way into rolex for younger customers. Once they get a sub or gmt or Daytona, they have a Rolex and start to appreciate it. Then as they get older their tastes progress to other models that are less desirable. But, now they are more likely to stick with Rolex, as opposed to having tried to get one earlier, been told they can’t or it takes so long that they lose interest, which means they probably bought something by omega or whoever and now don’t have that same loyalty to Rolex...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Restricting supply increases value. Flooding the market decreases value. It’s a proven marketing ploy. Ask DeBeers - they controlled the flow of diamonds for years. If they were to release just 20% of their diamond stock onto the market, the price would crash and that’s not in their interest. Rolex, if they are doing it, are doing the same and you can rest assured they are not doing it for the good if the consumer. They are doing it for the good of Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Well that’s not exactly true as GS submit the names and it’s their HO that allocates not Rolex themselves.

Also I’m a little concerned if you were on the list since day one and not received it yet! Did they say how many were infront?
    To add... I also ordered a ceramic Daytona on the day it was announced, sadly I decided to visit the AD in person rather than phone.. By the time I arrived that afternoon (Goldsmiths in the Trafford Centre), I was 37th on 'the list'. When they got to 50 they closed the list. Haven't heard anything since, I should pop in and ask how far I've moved on the list. BTW they have two lists, one for black and one for white dialled. Each with a 50 limit.

Journeyman
    Would be good in my eyes , stops people buying purely to resell.

Craftsman

Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Do we honestly think it’s likely that an AD would retain stocks of desirable models in the safe just to develop the mystique of the watch. ADs want to sell watches
    Well, according to our Bannon member they also want to sleep with you and offer you a great discount.

Seems like everyone is clamouring to own a new Rolex Sports watch......

Partially the idea that it is a great movement/build, partially the aspirational aspect.......

But I think a lot of the above is underpinned by the rock-solid residuals, and even the chance that it will actually go UP in value.

I think a lot of the above is due to how Rolex manage production and sales, but still people are shouting:

"How dare Rolex limit production!"
    "How dare Rolex only send a few to UK dealers!"
    "How dare Rolex remove the stickers!"
    "How dare Rolex retain the warranty cards!"

They want all of the 'benefits' (exclusivity, aspirational value, resale etc) - but they demand this on their terms!

[EDIT] To clarify - the "they" are the purchasers (prospective and past).
    Last edited by blackal; 12th February 2018 at 13:52.

Master
    ^^^^^^
    Oh No!

Shock horror a commercial company wants to control its products and image for the benefit of the company.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smogmonster View Post
    I have a friend who owns a limited addition deep sea model, and was interviewed by Rolex before being allowed to make the purchase
    If that is actually true, I would have told them to stuff it.

It is a watch, I'm not apply to adopt a child, or even at a job interview.

F'em

Craftsman

Residual

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Partially the idea that it is a great movement/build, partially the aspirational aspect.......

But I think a lot of the above is underpinned by the rock-solid residuals, and even the chance that it will actually go UP in value.

I think a lot of the above is due to how Rolex manage production and sales, but still people are shouting:

"How dare they limit production!"
    "How dare they only send a few to UK dealers!"
    "How dare they remove the stickers!"
    "How dare they retain the warranty cards!"

They want all of the 'benefits' (exclusivity, aspirational value, resale etc) - but they demand this on their terms!
    Spot on.

Take away the residual retention and you would not have this clamour to must get a Rolex sports on my wrist. Certainly in the past years Rolex always retained a certain amount of the original value but no were near the 80-100% that many buyers expect now and that is playing a part in the Rolex bubble at the moment.

A bit like the housing market, were everyone believes that they will never lose money but when they do not get the price they were expecting, the tears flow and the blame game starts because they were told you never lose money.

i give massive credit to everyone who decides to buy an Omega or Heuer etc. as there appears to be none of this value retention or investment talk from those buyers, just people who want to enjoy a watch for what it is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What is the watch. Since when do Rolex do LEs? Or is it some sort of regimental edition?

Sometimes I feel I'm so out of step with most of this forum

M

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

"How dare Rolex limit production!"
    "How dare Rolex only send a few to UK dealers!"
    "How dare Rolex remove the stickers!"
    "How dare Rolex retain the warranty cards!"

[EDIT] To clarify - the "they" are the purchasers (prospective and past).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    What is the watch. Since when do Rolex do LEs? Or is it some sort of regimental edition?
    I just presumed it was the Cameron Blue but maybe he will clarify

Master
    In some ways, Rolex watches would be more fun if ownership didn't seem to be tightly connected to 'residuals.'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    In some ways, Rolex watches would be more fun if ownership didn't seem to be tightly connected to 'residuals.'
    Watches where just more fun in general 10 years ago - at least for me. Sure daytonas were hard to get and expensive, but $3,000 for a near new Sub... things were different. Forums were different too - a lot tighter and more community focused.

I still love watches, but I'm not sure this hobby would appeal to me had THIS been my introduction.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Spot on.

Take away the residual retention and you would not have this clamour to must get a Rolex sports on my wrist. Certainly in the past years Rolex always retained a certain amount of the original value but no were near the 80-100% that many buyers expect now and that is playing a part in the Rolex bubble at the moment.

A bit like the housing market, were everyone believes that they will never lose money but when they do not get the price they were expecting, the tears flow and the blame game starts because they were told you never lose money.

i give massive credit to everyone who decides to buy an Omega or Heuer etc. as there appears to be none of this value retention or investment talk from those buyers, just people who want to enjoy a watch for what it is.
    I'm currently struggling with this part. I've wanted an IWC Portugese Chrono for as long as I can remember, this one to be exact:

But the cost of it new (£6,550 before any discount) is putting me off as I'd lose a chunk of that the second I walked out the shop. On the other hand I could put my name down for a Hulk, which I've also coveted for a while, collect it in 18 months or whenever I eventually get to the top of the list, safe in the knowledge that should I urgently need the cash I could probably sell for a profit...

I want the IWC because it's gorgeous, but the value of both watches is such that either would be a massive purchase for me. I'm 31 and have a young family and am fortunate enough to be financially relatively secure with a well paying job, but should things go t*ts up the Hulk will probably be the better buy.

Master
    Buy the IWC used if you're not averse. Their MSRP is pretty ludicrous, but their depreciation is strong. Take advantage of that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Buy the IWC used if you're not averse. Their MSRP is pretty ludicrous, but their depreciation is strong. Take advantage of that.
    Faster than a cannonball to the bottom of a pool. ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Faster than a cannonball to the bottom of a pool. ;)
    They seem to drop and stabilize for the most part. I've been wanting a mini Portuguese forever and they've been $3,500+/-$500 the whole time.

Such a lovely little dress watch. Much better looking than anything similarly priced.

Craftsman

Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    I'm currently struggling with this part. I've wanted an IWC Portugese Chrono for as long as I can remember, this one to be exact:

But the cost of it new (£6,550 before any discount) is putting me off as I'd lose a chunk of that the second I walked out the shop. On the other hand I could put my name down for a Hulk, which I've also coveted for a while, collect it in 18 months or whenever I eventually get to the top of the list, safe in the knowledge that should I urgently need the cash I could probably sell for a profit...

I want the IWC because it's gorgeous, but the value of both watches is such that either would be a massive purchase for me. I'm 31 and have a young family and am fortunate enough to be financially relatively secure with a well paying job, but should things go t*ts up the Hulk will probably be the better buy.

You are going to lose money on nearly every watch on the market with a couple of exceptions. If you cannot live with the thought of lossing money on a purchase maybe putting your name on the wish list for a Hulk is your best alternative but in 18months etc, what price the Hulk, do you think you can still turn a profit. Future values is just a guess, just like secure jobs, you never know what is coming your way.

Not everybody thinks in residual terms.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 12th February 2018 at 19:20.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I've worn my Explorer every day since I got it over two years ago. It's been a great watch, never missing a beat, never feeling inappropriate to wear for any given situation. I still get a sense of satisfaction looking at it, and remember the excitement of buying it, having lusted after it for a long, long time. Being able to strap it to my wrist (the right way around) and knowing it was mine, that I'd be able to wear it from then onward whenever I wanted to, was hard to believe but thrilling to contemplate. After babying it for the first few months, it received its first knock after I bumped it against a door while on holiday with my family. That mark now acts as a wonderful reminder of a great holiday, and every time I notice it I think about that holiday and how amazing it was that I was able to share my one-year old daughter's excitement about being away from home and the novelty of staying in a far away place, and all the fun we had together. They are memories I cherish as my daughter gets older, and the Explorer is bound up in them.

But reading over the weekend that a used one from WF now costs more than RRP is definitely the best thing about it. $$$$$

Master

Rolex to control distribution to individuals

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I've worn my Explorer every day since I got it over two years ago. It's been a great watch, never missing a beat, never feeling inappropriate to wear for any given situation. I still get a sense of satisfaction looking at it, and remember the excitement of buying it, having lusted after it for a long, long time. Being able to strap it to my wrist (the right way around) and knowing it was mine, that I'd be able to wear it from then onward whenever I wanted to, was hard to believe but thrilling to contemplate. After babying it for the first few months, it received its first knock after I bumped it against a door while on holiday with my family. That mark now acts as a wonderful reminder of a great holiday, and every time I notice it I think about that holiday and how amazing it was that I was able to share my one-year old daughter's excitement about being away from home and the novelty of staying in a far away place, and all the fun we had together. They are memories I cherish as my daughter gets older, and the Explorer is bound up in them.

But reading over the weekend that a used one from WF now costs more than RRP is definitely the best thing about it. $$$$$
    What a great post.

My 15200 gets very little wrist time now. However, it was the first Rolex I ever bought, I got married wearing it, witnessed the birth of my two children with it and a whole host of other memories.

I am damn sure it’s worth more than the (discounted) £1650 I paid for it in 2003, but it will be the last watch I sell.
    Last edited by Chalet; 12th February 2018 at 20:07.

Craftsman

Wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    What a great post.

My 15200 gets very little wrist time now. However, it was the first Rolex I ever bought, I got married wearing it, witnessed the birth of my two children with it and a whole host of other memories.

I am damn sure it’s worth more than the (discounted) £1650 I paid for it in 2003, but it will be the last watch I sell.
    Austin Kaye are currently buying them in for around £1250, so you might have to gather some more memories but it is a really nice model reference to wear.

Master
    Austin Kaye are currently buying them in for around £1250, so you might have to gather some more memories but it is a really nice model reference to wear.
    What a throughly distasteful response to what was a lovely post. I’m sure you’re proud of yourself though!

Master
    Ok, the 116520 Daytona I picked up from Schiphol for £6300 in 2015 is a nice memory to square that.

Thanks Devonian for pointing out the real context of my post.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    What a throughly distasteful response to what was a lovely post. I’m sure you’re proud of yourself though!
    Do not believe there was anything distasteful in my response, the last couple of replies have mentioned Rolex value and I gave some input to those mentioned values.

Maybe if the values had been omitted from the original posts they would have been even more poignant.
    Last edited by Flasher; 12th February 2018 at 20:57. Reason: Error

Master
    Do not believe there was anything distasteful in my response, the last couple of replies have mentioned Rolex value and I gave some input to those mentioned values.

Maybe if the values has been omitted from the original posts they would have been even more poignant.
    Maybe, my point being that I couldn’t replace that watch or those memories with any money, the figure (or the watch)could have been anything.

Proof of the buy in figure?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post

Completely see your position. As annoying as it is when people are yapping on about Rolex and residuals sometimes it’s those residuals that give people the confidence to buy. I think without the residuals of some brands / specific watches a few of us here would own less watches. I would probably own just one or two.

I’m thinking about selling a Speedy to buy something else but the whole buying for ~£3k and selling for £2k stings and makes me think twice.

Weird how when it comes to other hobbies residuals don’t get a mention but for some reason when it comes watches we’re obsessed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Proof of the buy in figure?
    Having checked C24 that may be their buy in figure, but nobody would sell at that.....

Having checked C24 that may be their buy in figure, but nobody would sell at that.....
    I was challenging the troll.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Weird how when it comes to other hobbies residuals don’t get a mention but for some reason when it comes watches we’re obsessed.
    Well, some of you seem to be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    They seem to drop and stabilize for the most part. I've been wanting a mini Portuguese forever and they've been $3,500+/-$500 the whole time.

Such a lovely little dress watch. Much better looking than anything similarly priced.

IWC are tremendous value in the US. Huge discounts available off RRP is common, not quite the same in the UK unfortunately. Used to be able to pick up that model for £2500-£2800 but those days are behind us over here.

They produce some wonderful watches, classic dial layouts on some of the dress models and I've always had a soft spot for the Aquatimer although my preference is for the earlier references.

Recently came across the Portuguese perpetual "Shanghai edition" on a trip to Holland, absolutely stunning in every respect and the Santoni strap was up there with the best I've seen.

Buy correct and and they put a smile on your face every time. :)

Master
    You want a Portugeiser from IWC; so you buy a Rolex. If you don't buy the watch you really want, why bother at all? After all, no-one 'needs' a luxury watch of any kind.
    Buy what you really want, used if need be. It will make you grin....
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th February 2018 at 09:55.

What kind of questions was he asked?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    What kind of questions was he asked?
    And was he under oath?

Interesting to look at stock levels showing at Watchfinder- I suspect they often show fewer listings than stock held but they are showing 4 each of D-blue , SD43 , BLNR and 6 Hulk !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Interesting to look at stock levels showing at Watchfinder- I suspect they often show fewer listings than stock held but they are showing 4 each of D-blue , SD43 , BLNR and 6 Hulk !
    Of course they do!

There was a point where I was interested in a white Snoopy, so I had a dialogue with them, only to see it disappear from the website during the negotiation. I was disappointed until I was told they had another one (and possibly more) in stock, not showing on the site.

Create an impression of short supply and Bob’s your aunties brother!

And was he under oath?

Was he "under air" ?

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Of course they do!

Create an impression of short supply and Bob’s your aunties brother!
    So what has changed that they now decide to show such an abundance of stock?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    So what has changed that they now decide to show such an abundance of stock?
    Who’s to say they don’t have even more?

the price of the hulk maybe :)