closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to Lock Up My Bike for an Evening in Soho

Where to Lock Up My Bike for an Evening in Soho

I've cycled into work today and work on the London/Surrey border. I'm out for a few drinkies in Soho tonight.

Rather than cycle home, get changed and catch the train (all a bit of a faff), I thought I'd cycle in, park my bike around Soho, and catch the train home with my bike.

I know the area quite well, but not used to having my bike with me. So looking for a recommendation of the best place to park my bike from 8 - 11pm. Hopefully somewhere busy an well lit that has some other bikes parked too.

My bike is pretty tatty and not worth a lot, but may as well park it up in the best location to minimise an opportunist.

Ta in advance.

Drinks + bicycle + night ride sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Say goodbye to any removable part of the bike :p

Have you come across this place? Its just off Carnaby Street and gives total peace of mind..

https://www.h2bikerun.co.uk/h2-commute/

why risk it?
    reminds me of the titanium hardtail MTB i watched being nicked outside the apple store, it was locked with a cheap cable lock and the thief took about 4 seconds to whip it off and cycle away, i didn’t even see what tool he used (i was not looking out for thieves and 20-30 yards away) the owner came out and couldn’t believe it was gone “i was only in a few minutes picking something up” i stopped short of calling him an idiot for not having a proper lock for a £3k bike.

get a brompton or use a hire bike is my advice, know of far too many bikes and bits being nicked to lock any bike in central london.

I'd catch the train TBH.

If "drinkies" involves booze then I wouldn't risk being done for cycling under the influence which can attract £1000 fine; but worse would be if you caused harm to yourself or others; all liable to bring about further police charges and possible physcological issues for yourself, family and loved ones.

It's just not worth it, if you wouldn't drive, then I certainly wouldn't ride a bike.

By all means lock the bike up and train/taxi home.

Not meaning to be a buzz killer but better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Drinks + bicycle + night ride sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
    Not cycling home. Will push my bike to Waterloo to catch the train with bike.

Based on the responses I’ve had an idea to leave the bike in Waterloo (and walk up to Soho) as there’s lots of bike storage there, and it won’t stick out amongst the other bikes. That way I only have to push it from the bike storage to the platform.

Unless anyone knows why leaving a bike at Waterloo for an evening is not a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Not cycling home. Will push my bike to Waterloo to catch the train with bike.

Based on the responses I’ve had an idea to leave the bike in Waterloo (and walk up to Soho) as there’s lots of bike storage there, and it won’t stick out amongst the other bikes. That way I only have to push it from the bike storage to the platform.

Unless anyone knows why leaving a bike at Waterloo for an evening is not a good idea?
    Sorry, understood.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Taxi in
    Taxi out
    Don't be such a pikey.

What are the rules regarding being drunk ( over the limit) and walking your bike?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Taxi in
    Taxi out
    Don't be such a pikey.
    Too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What are the rules regarding being drunk ( over the limit) and walking your bike?
    I can't imagine them doing anything. This article suggests otherwise, but if you read it the circumstances suggest it may not have been just 'walking a bike'.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.tim...2%3fsource=dam

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There are none.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I've cycled into work today and work on the London/Surrey border. I'm out for a few drinkies in Soho tonight.

Rather than cycle home, get changed and catch the train (all a bit of a faff), I thought I'd cycle in, park my bike around Soho, and catch the train home with my bike.

I know the area quite well, but not used to having my bike with me. So looking for a recommendation of the best place to park my bike from 8 - 11pm. Hopefully somewhere busy an well lit that has some other bikes parked too.

My bike is pretty tatty and not worth a lot, but may as well park it up in the best location to minimise an opportunist.

Ta in advance.
    Why can't you leave your bike where it is right now, and get the train home, and back in tomorrow, with fresh cycling gear for a return on the bike. You trust it's current spot all day so you must trust it overnight?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd be very wary of leaving my bike anywhere unattended. It's shocking how short a time even the very best cycle locks can withstand a thief's attempts to cut through them. There's hardly anything that can't be cut through or broken within 3 minutes.

A couple of years ago my wife locked her bike to the school gates when she went to pick our son up from school. Unfortunately she had left the key at home. It was a cable type lock IIRC, but quite thick. I knew the people in a local bike shop round the corner & went in & borrowed a set of bright red bolt cutters, with handles about a metre long. Nobody questioned me as I walked back to the bike equipped for the job. I cut through the cable in, I kid you not, 2 seconds & liberated the bike. Nobody challenged me & I wheeled the bike away.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    get a brompton
    What ? All before he finishes work later today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    Have you come across this place? Its just off Carnaby Street and gives total peace of mind..

https://www.h2bikerun.co.uk/h2-commute/
    That's where I would leave mine if I was the OP. The last time I locked I bike up on the street in London was my Cannondale Bad Boy, locked to some railings while I popped into a shop to pick up a mars bar. Five minutes later and someone had defeated my uber expensive u-lock and had made off with my bike. Lesson learned. Another lesson learned was cycling back from Brixton to Wandsworth after an impromptu drink after a site meeting and fishtailing into the back of a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    What ? All before he finishes work later today ?
    i can think of about 5 shops around soho/oxford/st fitzrovia area with loads of bromptons in stock, you literally could go and buy one ready to roll.

Where to Lock Up My Bike for an Evening in Soho

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    get a brompton
    I do have two Bromptons to choose from, but they are not good for a cycle from Leatherhead to London.

Anyway, I put my bike in the cycle pod at London Waterloo, and brilliant it was too. My less than desirable road bike was surrounded by another couple of hundred bikes even when I picked it up well after 11pm.

Walked it to the platform and then home on an empty Monday night train.

The cycle pod security is good at Waterloo as it was well lit, and they had lots of discreet cameras. Looks like loads of people leave their (much better than mine) bikes overnight.

You never know this might be useful for someone.

Thanks for your comments everyone.