closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stripping Question...

Master

Stripping Question...

...of the door variety. I have a set of 1930s door that we had dipped, sanded and varnished about 20 years ago. They are the single panel at the top 3panel at the bottom style. Came out looking great and still do today. We've now had an extension and needed a new door for the new toilet. Luckily in the past I salvaged the neighbours old doors when they skipped them. So the builders were able to use the best one for the new door. This was white painted and chipped in places but they fitted it fine.

So my query. We just had it stripped dried and sanded and delivered back. It turns out that in the past the door was reversed and had panelling attached which was common in the 1960s. Evidence of this was all hidden by the paint. So I now have white filler in the panel holes all around the edge, the old hinge area and locks. I kind think the easiest is just to repaint it white and cover it back up but swmbo wants it varnished still to match. So what is my best option?

Stain the filler? I don't know if it will take a stain or not. I do know it needs to be the colour of the finished varnished wood

I think you’ll have a job getting big patches of filler to stain properly,maybe get a French polisher to have a go as he would be able to mix stains and shade it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Would wood filler do the trick? Comes in different shades to get you close to the required colour, which you can then stain/varnish as needed to get even closer.

I've used wood filler in the past to fill in small patches and its worked pretty well.

You'd have to get the white filler out first, maybe not entirely but enough for the wood filler to take.

Can’t you use 5he next best door from your pile of old ones ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Can’t you use 5he next best door from your pile of old ones ?
    I was told this was the one in the best condition. Only have a couple. But I guess it is an option. Bit of a pita having got the current one stripped though

Journeyman
    Would it be possible to cut/drill out the filler and put wood pellets/strips back in?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulliner86 View Post
    Would it be possible to cut/drill out the filler and put wood pellets/strips back in?
    Tbh I am not sure. I can obviously remove the filler. The wood pellets/strips would mean using one of the spare doors as a donor. I am now wondering if it is worth buying something like Coloron Wood stain and hoping the filler will take it. That is the unknown as I don't know what sort of filler was used in the past. Maybe I am not really any worse off in trying that initially. I could always refill with a filler I know will stain. If I can use two colours in the appropriate areas then it might match enough to pass muster. The pin holes should blend fairly well which just leaves the old lock and hinge areas that the door frame covers when shut. Which gives me the old spindle and lock hole as the most visible area.

This was all going to be a simple job....

The darker the are stained the more likely it is that filler will work. If it is a stripped pine look you’re going for get some wood let in to repair the holes - a small job for a competent woodworker.