closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Doorknobs

Doorknobs

I hate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Seiko7A38; 5th March 2018 at 12:06.

Craftsman
    Indeed, easily remedied. Either Polywatch or my personal favourite https://www.amazon.co.uk/GLASS-POLIS...s=cerium+oxide (which is useful for removing scratches from mobile phone screens).

Master
    That could have been a lot worse. I think you or rather your watch got off lightly.

Craftsman
    Did something similar on the corner of my driver's window (BMW 4 series frameless window) when getting out recently ...

Made a couple of enquiries regarding a replacement crystal then found my very old tube of Polywatch so gave that a try - after minimal effort it's like new

I think that will come out easily

Darn it... get a longer sleeved jumper or remove all door knobs.

Looks like a proper tool watch now.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Darn it... get a longer sleeved jumper or remove all door knobs.
    I did both and now I'm trapped in a walk-in wardrobe. ;)

Polywatch ordered. Although maybe I'll get that glass polish too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Classic, but better than chipping your sapphire crystal.

Master
    Yes those doorknobs are any WIS worst nightmare, not the end of the world being hesalite though.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Console yourself that it could have been a lot worse!
    It's just a matter of time...

Haven’t been shown “wabi” like that for years. Quite a rarity on this forum. I would cherish that if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Haven’t been shown “wabi” like that for years. Quite a rarity on this forum. I would cherish that if I were you.
    Haha! Luckily my wife appreciates the concept of wabi also. Otherwise I'd be single. :)

It’s usually door frames for me.

Craftsman
    Don't walk too close to brick walls (hard to avoid in narrow passageways!)

My old Seiko (for many years my only watch) fell victim to a scaffold pole some 3 days after I'd bought it. A lot less forgiving than door knobs, I suspect. Some blasphemy was involved, IIRC..

Cheers,

Plug

Yeh brick walls, door knobs, frames etc i'm always wary of hitting my watch so generally walk with my left arm behind my back when it gets tight, might look silly but I hate hitting my watch..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Yeh brick walls, door knobs, frames etc i'm always wary of hitting my watch so generally walk with my left arm behind my back when it gets tight, might look silly but I hate hitting my watch..

Haha thats exactly what I do, especially when i'm walking down bond street....

Master
    Be thankful you was wearing your speedy. At least it’ll polish right out with a bit of polywatch.

PITA though those doorknobs!

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    It’s usually door frames for me.
    #metoo

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    #metoo

Craftsman
    I seem to catch the kitchen worktop edge frequently.

Grand Master
    Mask off the bezel.

Buy a sheet of 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit wet and dry.

Get a pencil rubber and cut a small block off it.

Wrap the wet and dry paper round it, dip in water containing a trace of detergent, then rub in the direction of the scratches. It'll look worse before it gets better, but don`t worry. Depending how deep the sratches are you might start with 1500, or 2000 if they're not so deep.

Finish with 3000 grit, inspect under a magnifier to determine whether the scratches are out.

Polish with autosol metal polish on a soft cloth. The shine will now be restored and you'll breathe a huge sigh of relief because it won`t look all cloudy.

Finally finish off with polywatch.

Trying to treat scratches with polywatch alone is like boring through a mountain with a carrot. The procedure I`ve described works, it's what I do when refinishing acrylic crystals and it's what I did when I scratched one of mine recently. The abrasive has to be used wet otherwise it'll clog, and it must be wrapped around a flat block to get the most effective levelling.

This procedure works, and it can remove deep scratches too. Once you've got the materials together and done this once you'll be far more relaxed about scratches in the future because you know you can sort them out.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Mask off the bezel.

Buy a sheet of 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit wet and dry.

Get a pencil rubber and cut a small block off it.

Wrap the wet and dry paper round it, dip in water containing a trace of detergent, then rub in the direction of the scratches. It'll look worse before it gets better, but don`t worry. Depending how deep the sratches are you might start with 1500, or 2000 if they're not so deep.

Finish with 3000 grit, inspect under a magnifier to determine whether the scratches are out.

Polish with autosol metal polish on a soft cloth. The shine will now be restored and you'll breathe a huge sigh of relief because it won`t look all cloudy.

Finally finish off with polywatch.

Trying to treat scratches with polywatch alone is like boring through a mountain with a carrot. The procedure I`ve described works, it's what I do when refinishing acrylic crystals and it's what I did when I scratched one of mine recently. The abrasive has to be used wet otherwise it'll clog, and it must be wrapped around a flat block to get the most effective levelling.

This procedure works, and it can remove deep scratches too. Once you've got the materials together and done this once you'll be far more relaxed about scratches in the future because you know you can sort them out.

Paul
    This is incredibly detailed and helpful. Thank you.

Master
    One has to develop the "Wis-walk"....quite easy, hold the watch arm dangling down, but slightly behind the body.

It's normal practice to me now after I had a PP.
    Last edited by Dave in Wales; 8th March 2018 at 16:53.

A new crystal is a cheap fix on a Speedmaster, isn't it?

M

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    A new crystal is a cheap fix on a Speedmaster, isn't it?

M
    No!

Until Omega stopped supplying wholesalers in 2015 I could buy one for around £25 and charge a few quid to fit it. There are still some genuine ones in original packaging around on ebay but the prices get sillier by the week. I guess an Omega accredited repairer will fit one for a price, but these guys are in business to make a living and they have to charge accordingly.

These crystals are thick, and provided there are no cracks it's perfectly feasible to fix them in the manner I've described. The end result will be perfect. However, it's always worth looking for cracks using a strong magnifier, small cracks can propagate and the crystal will go 'crazy paved', had this happen to me on a watch many years ago when it got a whack.

Most of my watches have acrylic crystals, I don`t mind repolishing them when they get a few scratches. It's a skill worth learning if you have such a watch. Sapphire crystals are far better because they don`t scratch easily, but when they do they're v. difficult to repolish and they can be expensive to replace.

One word of advice to anyone who fancies trying to repolish an acrylic crystal on a mechanical polishing mop or a Dremel..........Don't! Doing it by hand takes around 25 mins and won't end in tears. I`ve tried polishing them with a polishing mop (carefully) and it didn`t end well, the heat softens the surface and the polishing compound melts into the plastic..........unless you're very careful.

Paul

Ah, didn't realise even crystals were a problem!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    One has to develop the "Wis-walk"....quite easy, hold the watch arm dangling down, but slightly behind the body.

It's normal practice to me now after I has a PP.
    Similar to what I was going to post. Often think people must wonder what I’m doing when walking next to walls with the face of my Watch pressed just above my left buttock.

Master
    If you are paranoid about bashing your watch, get one of these leather watch covers, they were popular in the RAF back in the 1970's with anyone who worked on aircraft. Good for protecting the hardlex on your cheap Seiko.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/mi...er-watch-cover

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    #metoo
    Yesterday I talked to someone who managed to shatter a Panerai sapphire crystal against a window frame, damaging the dial and hands in the process.

I'm not saying that plexiglass is immune, but at least it doesn't shatter into razorsharp diamond-hard pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by johant View Post
    Yesterday I talked to someone who managed to shatter a Panerai sapphire crystal against a window frame, damaging the dial and hands in the process.

I'm not saying that plexiglass is immune, but at least it doesn't shatter into razorsharp diamond-hard pieces.
    Fair point.
    Last edited by Passenger; 8th March 2018 at 22:38.