closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Ashes 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    You obviously don't, otherwise BT Sport wouldn't have won the bidding war.

Look on the bright side, though. BT Sport have professional Yorkshire doom-mongers Vaughan and Boycott on their commentary team.
    I often listen to C5's highlights if I've not been able to watch during the day in the summer. I quite like those two. Boycott is, well, not liked by many but I find him very fair in his assessments of performances of both sides. He enjoys cricket as a game and pays less attention to which country is actually playing. And of course no-one can deny his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I often listen to C5's highlights if I've not been able to watch during the day in the summer. I quite like those two. Boycott is, well, not liked by many but I find him very fair in his assessments of performances of both sides. He enjoys cricket as a game and pays less attention to which country is actually playing. And of course no-one can deny his skills.
    Well Boycott certainly doesn't deny his own skills, that's for sure. One of the highlights of the summer was Aggers' windup of dear old Geoffrey celebrating his 100th first-class century. Or not.

And cricket was always better when the pitches were ooncoovered, obviously.

I'd still prefer to listen to Boycott than Vaughan. But then I prefer Bumble, David Gower et al to what seems to be the leftovers from TMS commentating on BT.

You obviously don't, otherwise BT Sport wouldn't have won the bidding war.

Look on the bright side, though. BT Sport have professional Yorkshire doom-mongers Vaughan and Boycott on their commentary team.
    Really enjoyed watching last night - superb innings from Cook both technically and in terms of character. Same for Broad's bowling. Reverse is true of Moeen however.

BT Sport commentary and general production is woeful though. When Channel Four won the cricket from beeb all those years ago they brought genuine enthusiasm and innovation. BT sport have brought nothing of their own. I can tolerate Vaughan but Boycott is just a mad old great uncle. He has his fans and is a cult figure but I just see a self obsessed bombast. He was the same as a player. Overall though BT are just relying on a few TMS commentators (I use the word loosely in Swann's case) to turn up and talk. Sky is such a slick balance of insight, humour and analysis that to see BT sport do it so badly is a bit of a shock.

I'm not sure if KP is on BT, but he's on the Aussie commentary and I think his insights are pretty good. You can see why people said he was a smart cricketer.

Same with Warne such a great cricketing brain.

The Khawaja catch. Hmm. There was surely enough doubt for the on-field "soft signal" to be "Not out" which would then place the onus on the third umpire to prove beyond doubt that the catch had been taken. I'm not convinced about the standard of umpiring throughout the series so far, and the ICC needs to take a critical look at the umpires themselves and the review process.
    Couldn't agree more re the umpiring in this series.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Couldn't agree more re the umpiring in this series.
    Plus the Moeen Ali stumping decision...If there's doubt then it's not out.

Typical Australian spectator turnout today. If they're not going to win, they're just not going...

Last edited by halfpasttwothirty; 30th December 2017 at 06:50.

A bit dull, but well done to Australia to see it through. We will struggle to take 20 wickets in Australia on a normal Test, a pitch like this just makes it impossible. At least no 5-0 whitewash and I have hopes we can do well in Sydney too.

Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Typical Australian spectator turnout today. If they're not going to win, they're just not going...

I noticed that. When we were doing well on day 3 the audience evaporated. It says something.

I noticed that. When we were doing well on day 3 the audience evaporated. It says something.
    It certainly does.

Sorry forgot to say, the screenshot was taken at Tea. Perhaps they all disappeared for a quick cuppa?

The same thing happened the last time we won a series in Australia. I seem to remember that on one occasion England's top order did so well that by close of play the only sound in the ground was that of the Barmies going through their extensive repertoire.

News from the BBC this morning is that Ben Stokes will be unavailable for the white-ball matches following the Tests, but has been cleared to play in the IPL. He could be forgiven for becoming a T20 mercenary after the events of the last few months.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

The same thing happened the last time we won a series in Australia. I seem to remember that on one occasion England's top order did so well that by close of play the only sound in the ground was that of the Barmies going through their extensive repertoire.

News from the BBC this morning is that Ben Stokes will be unavailable for the white-ball matches following the Tests, but has been cleared to play in the IPL. He could be forgiven for becoming a T20 mercenary after the events of the last few months.
    It's pretty sad (pathetic) when you can hear the birds tweeting in the stadium.

Craftsman
    I wonder what the arrangement might be with his ECB central contract since he's been suspended.. I couldn't blame him for heading to the IPL, but his failing to make it to Australia is really the fault of no one else but him.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I wonder what the arrangement might be with his ECB central contract since he's been suspended.. I couldn't blame him for heading to the IPL, but his failing to make it to Australia is really the fault of no one else but him.
    I would be disappointed if an ECB Central Contract didn't contain clauses about "bringing the game/team/reputation of English Cricket into disrepute".

Time will tell.

Meanwhile, it's been a day of mixed fortunes for England's batsmen. Until the introduction of the second new ball it was all going rather well, with Root helping himself to his best score of the series so far, Cook looking positive and Vince playing some absolutely sumptuous cover drives before nicking off. Again.

If conditions don't change there should be some movement for Anderson and Broad. Nathan Lyon has been getting some turn and bounce, so the decision to bring Mason Crane in could be inspired.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Bollocks.
    Thought I'd watch a bit of cricket before bed and switched it on just in time to see Malan caught.
    Off to bed now to dream about waking up to find England got approx 400 and Aus on something like 100/8. In my dream, we'll be asking them to follow on as I'm eating my breakfast.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Bollocks.
    Thought I'd watch a bit of cricket before bed and switched it on just in time to see Malan caught.
    Off to bed now to dream about waking up to find England got approx 400 and Aus on something like 100/8. In my dream, we'll be asking them to follow on as I'm eating my breakfast.
    Bollocks indeed. I've taken a different option, cracking open another beer to see how Ali/Curran get along. I'm hoping that the new guy gets some fortune, and that Ali can reply to some of the critics who've been at him. 350 plus.. go on!

I'll drink to the 100/8, Smith and Warner both ducks.

Craftsman
    ..40 minutes later and they've seen me through to another beer. Happy days

Craftsman
    .. ah well.. saw them through to the end of the innings. 346 much better than expected, a highly entertaining and interesting couple of hours stretched out in front of the box.. and, ahem, several beers later

Show me the way to go home.. hic!

Well done to last, but alas no 400 and no century by anyone. And now Smith is getting into his groove and a comfortable 193-2, those two late wickets yesterday was our issue, Root failing tamely again for less than a hundred and Bairstow inexplicably not sending in a night watchman.

I fear for where Australia will be if we don't get some more penetration.

Joe Root in hospital suffering from severe dehydration: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42599472.

Crazy temperatures out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Joe Root in hospital suffering from severe dehydration: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42599472.

Crazy temperatures out there!

That's disappointing as it really shouldn't get that bad...with proper supervision and management. But it's not really very surprising. Let's hope the rest of both teams are not suffering too much from what must have been a debilitating day and wish JR a speedy recovery.

At least the TMS commentators will have something to talk about while AU complete their victory.

Edit: 00:31 GMT and he's back at the crease!

Update: Apparently he's picked up a bug...probably with the effects compounded by dehydration in yesterday's conditions. So that negates most of my initial comment above.
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th January 2018 at 01:53.

Guess I'll go back to bed then.
    I'll catch up on any 'highlights' later.

Blog Entries
    Not directly related to the Ashes, series but it's all kicking off down under - seems the Aussies are (by their own admission) cheats after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43526870

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Not directly related to the Ashes, series but it's all kicking off down under - seems the Aussies are (by their own admission) cheats after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43526870
    Let's see how Cricket Australia don't handle this.

They should sack Smith & Warner, re-group and attempt to repair the damage done. Man up CA!
    Such leadership was shown from Smith at the press conference... when questioned, he immediately deferred to Bancroft to provide the explanation. Smith, you planned the whole thing, you provide the explanation!
    How arrogant that he states he will not stand down. A fine example of a Millennial refusing to take responsibility.

Australia's New Sunglasses Case

Let's see how Cricket Australia don't handle this.

They should sack Smith & Warner, re-group and attempt to repair the damage done. Man up CA!
    Such leadership was shown from Smith at the press conference... when questioned, he immediately deferred to Bancroft to provide the explanation. Smith, you planned the whole thing, you provide the explanation!
    How arrogant that he states he will not stand down. A fine example of a Millennial refusing to take responsibility.
    Even some of the Aussies are not impressed (link):

The Australian Sports Commission (ASC) has now called for Smith "to be stood down immediately, along with any other members of the team leadership group or coaching staff who had prior awareness of, or involvement in, the plan".

Master
    For me it's a ban for life or 5 years minimum. If the ICC can throw a 5 year ban against Mohammad Amir for bowling no-balls when he was 19 and under massive pressure then it can ban Smith and Bancroft for longer. Cheating gits.

There's a World Cup and an Ashes series on the horizon.

I'll be following developments with interest.

KP has spoken.

KP has spoken.

its not often I actually agree with KP. If the players were from the Sub-continent, then they would be banned in a heart beat and everyone would be happy about it. Hopefully the ICC do the same and send the right message.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    its not often I actually agree with KP. If the players were from the Sub-continent, then they would be banned in a heart beat and everyone would be happy about it. Hopefully the ICC do the same and send the right message.
    Here's hoping mate.

Tim Paine, officially today's Captain.

Master
    https://news.sky.com/story/captain-s...andal-11303678
    Says Smith/Warner have stood down for rest of test.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 25th March 2018 at 09:40.

"Steve Smith and David Warner have been stood down from their leadership positions in Australia's cricket team for the rest of the third test against South Africa.

"Tim Paine will take over as captain for the rest of the match in Cape Town, Cricket Australia confirmed."

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    "Steve Smith and David Warner have been stood down from their leadership positions in Australia's cricket team for the rest of the third test against South Africa.

"Tim Paine will take over as captain for the rest of the match in Cape Town, Cricket Australia confirmed."
    What a rise to stardom he's having...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-paine-england

Punishment from the ICC...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/43531491

Blog Entries
    i've seen the footage. Even the tampering is boring to watch!

I'll get my coat.

Master
    Complete joke.

If I was Pakistani, I would be unamused to a significant degree

The punishment is a joke. Hopefully CA see some sense and ban them for life

Quote Originally Posted by gpattni View Post
    The punishment is a joke. Hopefully CA see some sense and ban them for life
    I'm not confident after this wishy-washy press conference.

https://cricketaustralia-a.akamaihd....=5757746651001

They'll do a cover up - the whole series has been a fiasco. Rabada should have been banned and that overturned too by someone in the ICC. Cricket administration is currently a shambles outside of organising a T20 competition. The demise of cricket outside of this format is well and truly underway.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    They'll do a cover up - the whole series has been a fiasco. Rabada should have been banned and that overturned too by someone in the ICC. Cricket administration is currently a shambles outside of organising a T20 competition. The demise of cricket outside of this format is well and truly underway.

Shocked because they got caught...but not at all surprised that it happened. That's how I'd sum up their reaction (going by what I've read and seen on the media).

Blog Entries
    Yes, Bancroft actually described it as being in the wrong place at the wrong time - in that he was caught on camera.

Apprentice
    It's sad to see but yes, cricket outside of t20 is heading towards turmoil. Aussies turn to corruption in trying to turn the tables because they can't win away from home. The bigger picture is that no team is able to win on the road which is further detrimental to the sport. Since the Ponting era, there's not been a team that's got the out-and-out quality to dominate the sport and the game is no longer based on merit of performance. Groundsmen for the home teams cater for their own, and the batsmen are used to playing on it in the same way the bowlers are.

I'd like to see the introduction of an independent international ground's team that would influence the tailoring of the pitches for international matches. Obviously you'd have domestic teams playing on the pitches but it would certainly restrict the level of home advantage in the game and consequently, a half decent game of cricket for once.

Quote Originally Posted by gracej1 View Post
    It's sad to see but yes, cricket outside of t20 is heading towards turmoil. Aussies turn to corruption in trying to turn the tables because they can't win away from home. -snip-
    I've been marginally forgiving of this sort of activity since our beloved ex-captain Mike Atherton was filmed rubbing soil on the seam in one test match. Full focus in front of the nation. Twit.

That's superb! I've sent the link to my son, who has been training with his club since January - he loves a cartwheeling stump, as do I, and the fact that it was an Australian wicket, and Warner's in particular, made it so much more enjoyable.

Well, there we have it - Smith, Warner and Bancroft are the fall guys. Lehmann to stay on - he can consider himself fortunate.