closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iOS 11.3 Released

iOS 11.3 Released

Changelog HERE.

Craftsman
    Tried it today and low and behold my iPhone 6’s performance has improved. It was incredibly slow before update and now it reports as 88% battery performance and able to run at full performance.

Much better user experience but we’ll have to wait and see how the battery life works out.

Master
    I got a new battery for my fried spare iPhone 6. This new release combined with a perfect battery has given it a new lease of life.

Got it late last night on iPhone and iPad, and all good so far

Me too.

The ‘Battery Health’ information is useful. Mine is 81% for an elderly 6S. How do other older phones compare?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Me too.

The ‘Battery Health’ information is useful. Mine is 81% for an elderly 6S. How do other older phones compare?
    For £25 Apple will replace your battery, as I have said above will give it a new lease of life.

Me too.

My 7 plus is up at 96%. Pleased with that.

Master
    96% on my SE but it’s not even a year old yet

Wife’s 2 year old SE at 92% battery so not too bad, my X at 100% as you’d expect seeing as its 6 months old. No issues with update so far

Master
    My iphone 7 bought at release is at 98%. Pleased with that

Master
    No battery performance indicator on the iPad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    For £25 Apple will replace your battery, as I have said above will give it a new lease of life.
    Neighbor had bad experience with this. Iphone 6 poor battery, sent to Apple for £25 upgrade. Received email saying they had found a receiver problem at £125 plus vat.

He said thanks for info please fix battery and return as he never experienced any issues. Apple response sorry Sir can only fix battery After fixing receiver. £180.

He aske for it back and did his own battery change.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    No battery performance indicator on the iPad.
    I installed a 3rd party app called ‘Battery Life’. My 18 month old iPad Pro at 86%

My iphone 7 plus which is 18 months old is at 89%

Master
    Can’t see any noticeable changes on my iPadPro / 7+... anything of note to look for?

Quote Originally Posted by leiper View Post
    Tried it today and low and behold my iPhone 6’s performance has improved. It was incredibly slow before update and now it reports as 88% battery performance and able to run at full performance.

Much better user experience but we’ll have to wait and see how the battery life works out.
    Unless there have been huge perf improvements in 11.3 then with an 88% battery the previous version of the os wouldn’t have hampered performance anyway?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Me too.

How do you check this?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    How do you check this?
    Settings, Battery, Battery Health (Beta)

This update also enables WiFi calling and VoLTE (aka “4G calling”) on BT Mobile.

91% on my 7+ happy with that as it gets heavy use, upgrading to an X in the coming week so the 7+ is going to my son, happy days.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Settings, Battery, Battery Health (Beta)
    Thanks I didn’t know

100%

Master
    My 16 month old iPhone 7 is at 86%, i have to charge it at least twice a day now.

I got my iPhone 7 the week it was released. My phone gets a lot of use every day, the battery health is showing up at 89%.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    I got my iPhone 7 the week it was released. My phone gets a lot of use every day, the battery health is showing up at 89%.
    That’s not too bad all things considered then is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    My 16 month old iPhone 7 is at 86%, i have to charge it at least twice a day now.
    Has yours had heavy use ?

Master
    My iPhone 6, hammered since new, shows 95%, and working much better since update! Better result than I was expecting.

Edit: it’s a 6 Plus

Craftsman
    My wife’s iPhone 8 is on 100%. Mind you, she only got it two weeks ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Can’t see any noticeable changes on my iPadPro / 7+... anything of note to look for?
    So, it’s just battery percentage then? No other interesting / useful additions?

97% Health on an 18 month old 7+

It sits on a charging desk cradle all day at work, and the same overnight at home (if that makes any difference to battery health?), so on work days never gets below 90% charge. On a weekend it might get as low as 50% charge with moderate use.

almost 2 year old SE battery health 100%.

Master
    Great update... finally. My 2 year old 6s is at 88% and rubbing a lot quicker. I’ll be getting a new battery soon as well.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 31st March 2018 at 10:13.

Master
    Hopefully a coincidence but I updated yesterday (92% on health check) and had about 35% battery life left when powering off last night.

Today it wouldn't switch on until I put it on charge where it came up with 10% charge and then quickly bumped back up to over 40%

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    almost 2 year old SE battery health 100%.
    My SE is 15 months old, 100% battery health. Pleased with that.

Craftsman
    My 6 is showing 93% and is running faster now, which is great for a 3 year old phone.
    Word of warning though, I didn’t charge it last night and went for a walk this morning with below 20%. After a couple of minutes use the phone had a hissy fit, it threw up sort of warning message about performance and battery power then switched off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    My SE is 15 months old, 100% battery health. Pleased with that.
    So is mine SE phones must be good ones then.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Unless there have been huge perf improvements in 11.3 then with an 88% battery the previous version of the os wouldn’t have hampered performance anyway?
    Exactly. It is noticeably faster so I guess performance was throttled back in previous versions.

Happy with it now anyway.

Craftsman
    My phone seems a bit quicker but battery is dying at an incredible rate

Fully charged at 7-30 and 41% by 11am today, with only a couple Of text and 20min of podcast played at max volume

Also every time i swipe up the section that shows what media is playing is playing a different song but nothing actually is playing (does that even make sense...) it’s all about random

Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    My 6 is showing 93% and is running faster now, which is great for a 3 year old phone.
    Word of warning though, I didn’t charge it last night and went for a walk this morning with below 20%. After a couple of minutes use the phone had a hissy fit, it threw up sort of warning message about performance and battery power then switched off.
    You will now have an extra option in the battery health settings allowing you to chose whether the phone reduces performance to extend battery life or runs at full speed all the time with the risk of the problem you encountered this morning. Prior to this update, your phone would have run in the lower performance setting because of your battery health. After much customer feedback against this, Apple introduced the user setting to allow the user to chose between max power and the possibility of problems like yours when the phone requests more power from the battery than is available or running slower without this type of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by leiper View Post
    Exactly. It is noticeably faster so I guess performance was throttled back in previous versions.

Happy with it now anyway.
    Previous versions of iOS 11 automatically throttled older devices to preserve battery life and keep the phone stable when peak performance was requested. This was a hidden feature without the option to disable it. Apple came under a lot of criticism for not providing a way to disable it so introduced the new battery health feature in iOS 11.3.

After the installation of iOS 11, all devices will run at full speed independent of the battery health. If a device encounters a power delivery problem causing an unexpected shutdown, the device will return to the throttled state and a new option will appear in battery health allowing the throttled state to be switched on or off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Hopefully a coincidence but I updated yesterday (92% on health check) and had about 35% battery life left when powering off last night.

Today it wouldn't switch on until I put it on charge where it came up with 10% charge and then quickly bumped back up to over 40%
    Oh dear - did it again this morning but switched on showing 40% and then switched itself off when I opened an app and then decided it was only 10% charged when I powered it back up. Does not bode well......

Oh dear - did it again this morning but switched on showing 40% and then switched itself off when I opened an app and then decided it was only 10% charged when I powered it back up. Does not bode well......
    What are you thinking, software glitch/bug or genuine problem with the phone battery?

Just recently upgraded to an iPhone X and noticed that Siri was killing 25% of the battery power.
    When I took a look at Siri under settings I noticed that Siri was set default to always listen for the wake word. Since I changed it to side button only its barely register anything as draining now

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    What are you thinking, software glitch/bug or genuine problem with the phone battery?
    Software glitch. The battery shows up as 92 to 93% on health check which should be fine and the whole process of switch on, power showing 35 to 40%, iPhone then powers down, place on charge to show battery is at 10% and then get back to 40%+ charge is less than 5 minutes!

Iphones always seem to have had a glitch where they can suddenly drop from 30% power to powering down in a disproportionately short time, but this update seems to have made things a lot worse for me.

It’s not a software glitch. With the peak performance capability disabled, the iPhone will be delivering peak power at all times. Under certain circumstances, for example opening an app with a high power requirement, the iPhone will temporarily request more power than the battery is able to supply. This causes the phone to switch off.

There is a good explanation of the new setting here:

https://www.imore.com/how-to-use-battery-health-ios

Prior to the update, iOS reduced its power requirement automatically in the background. The inability to switch this off caused an internet outcry.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 1st April 2018 at 16:13.

Master
    Lost the will to live with apple!

Couple of months back (after one of the updates) my battery started draining really fast. It’d always been fine up til that point. It would be almost flat by lunch time even with hardly any use and hot to touch.

Was obvious to me the phone was working away trying to do something (hence the heat)

Had to go through all the ‘battery tests’ with their customer service folk despite me saying over and over the battery was fine it was a software glitch/issue only to be told “the battery was fine”

After my own research (as their ‘technicians’ were working on it) I found the issue is with my iCloud account and a syncing issue.

If I try and delete the phone it says “documents and data are being uploaded, if you continue this will be lost”. This is despite not using iCloud, also I can’t sign out of my iTunes account on my phone now.

Seems to me something is stuck trying to upload constantly hence the heat and battery drain.

Apparently the technicians have been working on it for weeks! What the heck! Surely a software engineer could very quickly pin point what’s stuck and sort it? Bloke would ring me twice a week to tell me there’s no news. I said to him last time did he really expect me to believe someone is working on it all this time! He “assures me there is”

I told him not to bother actually ringing me until it was sorted, that was about a month ago! In the mean time my phone needs charging all the time and gets hot. Can’t be any good for it.

There was so much more hassle to it as the customer service guy was trying to ‘help’ he had me wipe the phone and I couldn’t get it back as apparently I’d used a password on an old backup so had to go back 2 years to an old backup.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It’s not a software glitch. With the peak performance capability disabled, the iPhone will be delivering peak power at all times. Under certain circumstances, for example opening an app with a high power requirement, the iPhone will temporarily request more power than the battery is able to supply. This causes the phone to switch off.

There is a good explanation of the new setting here:

https://www.imore.com/how-to-use-battery-health-ios

Prior to the update, iOS reduced its power requirement automatically in the background. The inability to switch this off caused an internet outcry.
    Useful link thanks. So not a software glitch but poor hardware if at 93% battery in health check it can't maintain peak performance at 40% charge and just opening snapchat!

Has anyone noticed their daily activity data not recording since the update? There is always something, grrrrr.

Useful link thanks. So not a software glitch but poor hardware if at 93% battery in health check it can't maintain peak performance at 40% charge and just opening snapchat!
    Looking at the article, when the battery falls to 95% health or below, this issue can arise:

• 95%: This iPhone has experienced an unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power. Performance management has been applied to help prevent this from happening again. Disable…
    Snapchat may be doing something which is causing a particularly high power draw, for example powering in the camera and GPS at the same time. The previous version of iOS mitigated this automatically but user outcry caused Apple to remove the automatic throttling for the current state where throttling will be enabled after a failure. Everyone in this thread who says their phone has speeded up will have experienced a shutdown caused by an excessive power draw.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Looking at the article, when the battery falls to 95% health or below, this issue can arise:

Snapchat may be doing something which is causing a particularly high power draw, for example powering in the camera and GPS at the same time. The previous version of iOS mitigated this automatically but user outcry caused Apple to remove the automatic throttling for the current state where throttling will be enabled after a failure. Everyone in this thread who says their phone has speeded up will have experienced a shutdown caused by an excessive power draw.
    Yes, doesn't bode well that they think you need 95%+ healthcheck to avoid this problem on peak performance. I'm guessing that gets you about 6 months re-charging!

Master
    Be sure to backup folks. One of our iPads has been bricked by this update. Tried all the options to restore but it looks like only a trip to Apple left as an option now.

Master
    Videos not uploading to iCloud from my phone.....