closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos Autobahn

Nomos Autobahn

Not sure about this at all.

Certainly not a fan of the open date window.

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/watc...paign=Autobahn
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm never a fan of an open date window!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I like most of Nomos watches. This isn’t one of them.

Journeyman
    Agreed on the date - but maybe useful if you're ever stuck remembering basic counting up and down.

It’s a little “my first watch” for my taste. It’s neither sporty or elegant but a middle ground of “give the Saturday boy a go at designing a watch”. I also like Nomos but not this one.

Master
    A motorway themed watch.. Maybe they should do an M25 version where the hands don’t move.

Craftsman
    I have to say that like it. Most Nomos designs, though clearly very good, are a little stern and dry for my taste, but I'd consider this one. I think the elements come together well, and the colours work for me, particularly the white face with blue lume. Even the open date makes sense to balance out the lower part of the watch ... it just doesn't strike me as a half-baked design like some of you are suggesting, I think it's a good effort which makes sense in the Nomos line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    A motorway themed watch.. Maybe they should do an M25 version where the hands don’t move.
    They should also make it a tourbillon to symbolise roadworks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Don't like this - too fussy for a Nomos and also don't like the lume,a bit meh overall. Even Nomos can do a bad release!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I don’t get it myself. Surely if you’re wondering the date yesterday or tomorrow and you glance down at a single date window and see 24 you may just be able work it out!

Do people use them with the actual date in the first spot, middle or end! I’d always thought middle but maybe people like to know what the date is in two days or even two days ago, seems crazy to me but maybe there’s some reason behind it.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I don’t get it myself. Surely if you’re wondering the date yesterday or tomorrow and you glance down at a single date window and see 24 you may just be able work it out!

Do people use them with the actual date in the first spot, middle or end! I’d always thought middle but maybe people like to know what the date is in two days or even two days ago, seems crazy to me but maybe there’s some reason behind it.
    I always assumed it was for when the minute/hour hand was covering the actual date, so you can work it out by seeing the dates either side.

I think Eddie could teach them a thing or two about designing dashboard instrument-related timepieces. It strikes me that the open date window is an attempt to balance what would otherwise be a large gap between the subdial and the case because they've used a movement that's too small. I'm also not keen on open date windows and that's a particularly poor application.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    I have to say that like it. Most Nomos designs, though clearly very good, are a little stern and dry for my taste, but I'd consider this one. I think the elements come together well, and the colours work for me, particularly the white face with blue lume. Even the open date makes sense to balance out the lower part of the watch ... it just doesn't strike me as a half-baked design like some of you are suggesting, I think it's a good effort which makes sense in the Nomos line-up.

I'm with you.

I think the design is something a bit different, though it would never be a daily wearer. If you have the money to indulge in the high-quality but light-hearted, I think this qualifies.
    Personally, I don't like the "three date" format as an individual style element -- but I do think that a single-date window at VI would have left the face design inharmonious, so, here I'm happy to take it.

Banned
    It's my least favourite Nomos. I love their simple unfussy designs and have a Club. I guess the Autobahn is a piece of fun for prospective younger clients and if it gets them interested wristwatchs that can only be a good thing.

Craftsman
    I really like almost every Nomos, but this is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    It’s a little “my first watch” for my taste. It’s neither sporty or elegant but a middle ground of “give the Saturday boy a go at designing a watch”. I also like Nomos but not this one.
    I was just thinking of a name for it!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I was just thinking of a name for it!
    The YTS?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    I really like almost every Nomos, but this is not one of them.
    Likewise.

I thought Nomos was better than this sort of make-believe-car-parts gimmickry. I was wrong. :(

I think it's quite cool and fits in very well with their range. Not sure if I'd wear one, in fact I most probably wouldn't, however I'm probably not their target market either.

Craftsman
    It's not for me............

Definitely not for me either. Also, a shame to see Nomos appear to be upsizing their cases. IMO 35mm Nomos all dial designs are perfect for most wrists. The 38mm cases wear huge so 41mm must be clown like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Definitely not for me either. Also, a shame to see Nomos appear to be upsizing their cases. IMO 35mm Nomos all dial designs are perfect for most wrists. The 38mm cases wear huge so 41mm must be clown like?
    I visited their AD in Pforzheim (to change one of my GOs from deployant to tang) a few months ago. Whilst that was happening, I tried on virtually the entire Nomos range -- a brand I had always admired visually (and still do). However, on the wrist none felt good -- disappointing, and I can't really explain why.

So, I remain a Nomos-free zone.

It's an interesting looking piece, but I'm a little disappointed in what they're doing price-wise these days. Used to be that Nomos was offering up something no other companies were doing - fully in-house movements at around the £1000 price-point. It's one of the things that set them apart from the Swiss; it seemed they were offering up a far more affordable way to get into the watch market. But the prices have increased significantly, and the new models are far in excess of the prices that early Nomos watches went for.

I dunno, I'm starting to struggle to see what sets them apart from all the other brands these days. I think if it's the Bauhaus style I want then I'd sooner turn to Junghans or something instead.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    . . . . or something . . . .
    = Stowa?

The Stowa placement of the subdial looks a lot better too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    = Stowa?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Each their own of course, but I'd go for the Nomos of the 2. The Stowa does look like better value but there is probably a difference in the quality of the movements.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    I think the sundial placement looks clearer on the Nomos which makes it easier on the eye.

Looks like a "My First Watch" for rich kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    I think the sundial placement looks clearer on the Nomos which makes it easier on the eye.
    The Nomos just looks like a case of small movement syndrome to me.

That was my observation too. The Stowage does have its own faults - I don't like the numeral don't nor how they're displayed. After living with my Ming 17.01, the 3 looks like a bum and the 9 a 6...

The Ming as an example:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    That Stowa pictured is also 41mm. The placement on the 35mm Stowa Antea is almost identical, as they're basically using the same movement - although that Nomos is an in-house copy of a 7001. Big fan of Stowa, but the Nomos is a nicer watch.

Usually love Nomos, but thought their Basel showing was woeful. The Autobahn just seems gimmicky and the new Neomatik movement (with date) is way too large for their style. All of these are offered in 41mm and it just doesn't gel with the design (or lugs) at all... and I like my date function on a watch. The Tangente in particular just seems to get fussier and fussier with each update.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

The Ming as an example:
    A 'merciless' plug if ever there was one.

Last edited by number2; 8th April 2018 at 09:22.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Not for me* - but I really like the bowl shaped dial and subdial and hope that makes it to another design.

* I did even look to see if i was an April 1st date.

Banned
    The Nomos just looks like a case of small movement syndrome to me.[/QUOTE]

Small movement syndrome?
    Last edited by Rmdf1960; 8th April 2018 at 09:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmdf1960 View Post
    Small movement syndrome?
    Too small a movement in too large a case; it means that in watches with sub-dials the centre of the sub-dial is typically nearer the centre of the dial rather than the edge. Full size pocket watches normally get the proportions right:

And Longines re-issues, for example, frequently don't:

(No matter what they do with extraneous and completely unwanted date windows).
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 8th April 2018 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Have to agree. It always seems to be something that designers throw in when they feel like they’ve run out of ideas as to how to be ‘different’.

If you know what today’s date is, you should be able to work out what yesterday’s and tomorrow’s are.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmdf1960 View Post
    Small movement syndrome?[/QUOTE]

It's a 25mm movement in a 35mm case. A different placement would look unbalanced on such a small dial.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    Small movement syndrome?
    It's a 25mm movement in a 35mm case. A different placement would look unbalanced on such a small dial.[/QUOTE]

Thanksfor the explanation 👍

Banned
    Too small a movement in too large a case; it means that in watches with sub-dials the centre of the sub-dial is typically nearer the centre of the dial rather than the edge. Full size pocket watches normally get the proportions right:

And Longines re-issues, for example, frequently don't:

(No matter what they do with extraneous and completely wanted date windows).
    Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Sorry - my original message should have referred to unwanted date windows.

Hamilton managed to position the sub-dial well with the LE Khaki Navy Pioneer, but the standard version isn't so pleasing. At least the date window isn't as gopping as on that Longines.

Master
    The Rodina looks fine for under £100

Blog Entries
    This is not what I like when seeing a Nomos. For me, the Ahoi Atlantic is the most beautiful Nomos in the collection.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    That was my observation too. The Stowage does have its own faults - I don't like the numeral don't nor how they're displayed. After living with my Ming 17.01, the 3 looks like a bum and the 9 a 6...

The Ming as an example:
    It's a Minger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    This is not what I like when seeing a Nomos. For me, the Ahoi Atlantic is the most beautiful Nomos in the collection.

Menno

That's quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    Have to agree. It always seems to be something that designers throw in when they feel like they’ve run out of ideas as to how to be ‘different’.

If you know what today’s date is, you should be able to work out what yesterday’s and tomorrow’s are.
    From a practicality perspective I always assumed they exist so that you can tell the date if the hands are covering the date window. Although I guess in this case that's not really much of a benefit as the hands are so thin you'd easily see the current date even with the hand covering it.

Listening to the grey nato podcast, seems nomos are aware of the criticism. But it's been very well received in Germany.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Menno

Like that a lot
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    It’s a nein from me... I love my club campus though!