closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New arrival! G-Shock DLC content

Craftsman

New arrival! G-Shock DLC content

I've not been active on this forum for quite a while, nor have I made any watch purchases recently (I think the two are probably linked!) but I had a pretty special delivery from the postman today I thought I'd share!

About a week ago I didn't know this watch existed, let alone that I wanted one. Then I found out about the watch from a friend and did a bit of research, including finding out the release date (yesterday) and managed to talk myself into it over the course of the week (I didn't take much convincing).

Here's a bit of blurb about the watch, content from G-Central:

GMW-B5000TFC-1, a 35th Anniversary edition presented in collaboration with Japanese luggage-maker Yoshida & Co., the maker of Porter bags. The GMW-B5000TFC-1 features the traditional colors of the original G-Shock DW-5000C-1A with a red ring around the display and has a DLC (diamond-like carbon) coating on the bezel and bands. The watch also has the 35th Anniversary logo inscribed on the case back and is reportedly limited to 500 units worldwide. The watch comes in a specially designed Porter bag that can also serve as a display case with four other watches.

The UK RRP was a rather eye watering £1,100. It released online on the G-Shock UK website which is where this one is from, as well as the Carnaby Street store. Not sure how many of the 500 units worldwide came to the UK but I'm guessing it can't be many.

The purchase itself was fairly stressful, though I may have been unduly worrying. I wasn't sure how many would be available online or how quickly they would go so was refreshing the product page fairly regularly yesterday morning in advance of the scheduled 10am release. The product page actually went up at around 0940 but showing as out of stock, didn't panic too much at that stage but I did wonder whether it had released early and sold out instantly. I assumed not and continued to refresh periodically up until the 10am release date at which, precisely nothing happened. Started to get slightly concerned that maybe that had just released early and instantly sold out but I kept going anyway, and about 5 minutes later the 'add to bag' option appeared, except when you tried to click on it an error message saying 'Buying is disabled for this product' appeared. This went on for another 7 or 8 minutes until finally it let me add to bag and complete the checkout process. At 1015 I was greeted with a 'YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN PLACED' message with made for much nicer reading.

I kept an eye on the page throughout the day and I think the watch sold out online at around 4.30pm, so I probably needn't have panicked so much about getting in quick but you never know. No idea re the Carnaby St store.

From ordering to delivery was a smidge over 24 hours with the watch arriving at home at 11am this morning while I was at work. Just arrived home and unboxed the watch and first impressions are good! I've not resized the bracelet for my wrist yet but have taken a few photos (apologies in advance for shoddy camera work/poor natural light etc. etc.) which I thought I'd share:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mackay45; 27th April 2018 at 19:50.

I expected to see a lot of the normal ones of these but not this limited one! Well done!

Craftsman
    Nice pick up. With all the other 5000 series watches in the bag. Looks like a proper presentation selection.
    My wife kindly went to carnaby street for me yesterday, at 9am it was a one on one out affair, rule was you could buy one watch then had to go to the back of the queue again.
    She said by 9.30 the porter had sold out , the shop had about 5 in stock. I went for the silver, I wanted the gold but it was all gloss instead of Matte and I knew I wouldn't wear it.

Journeyman
    Lovely. Well done for getting one. I think it’s a good buy and definitely a collectors piece.

Wish I could justify the £1000....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It's a super cool watch, there's no two ways about it. Your photos suggest that unlike with the regular two, the smooth finish doesn't make it too shiny because it's black - is this how you see it, too? At any rate, I think they'd be mad not to come out with some sort of a regular black metal model, possibly (hopefully) with a less sophisticated module so as not to diminish the exclusivity of this release.

Craftsman
    Aaaaaa this is a super cool watch! What a beauty. I want one but the price is sadly steep. I will try to get the silver one if they become more available.

Love it! I was hoping to see a silver one on here for real life pics but the limited edition one is something else entirely!!

Wish I had the funds! I’m going to try and get the silver at some point but the black is the pick of the bunch by miles!

Wow, seriously amazing watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mackay45 View Post

G-Shock and Rolex - the perfect match. Love that DLC'ed version, the best of the metal 35th releases by a mile. :)

Craftsman
    Thanks for the positive comments chaps, really interesting to hear about the experience at the Carnaby Street store too so thanks for sharing that.

Regarding the shinyness, the watch is quite 'bling', I think it will be more eye catching on the wrist than say my Seadweller which I usually wear daily. I haven't had a chance to size the bracelet yet but I'll try and share more photos in the future once its had a bit of wear!

You did really well. Carnaby St only had 5 of the Porter edition. Not sure what online had. Kicking myself.