closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Consolidation - am I mad?

Master

Consolidation - am I mad?

Like many a good WIS, thoughts of consolidation come up. I am currently at 8 pieces, although looking to get down to 7 with a watch on SC.

However, I have a number of 'daily' wearers that don't get worn regularly or for reasonably long periods because they mostly have dates and 38-50 hour power reserves.

The watches that could be up for the chop are:
    Rolex Hulk
    IWC Ingy 3239
    Zenith EP 1969

Which would leave me with:
    Speedy Pro
    SMPc
    BLNR
    Aerospace Evo

I think those 4 cover the main bases (chrono, diver, GMT, HAQ), and I could free up with some cash up to say £14/15k with the sale of those 3 watches and some cash, which would then get me a pretty special 5th piece.

That's 2nd hand Calatrava money, or a 15400 Royal Oak (but I think I'd always want the ultra-thin). There's a WG JLC master moon on WF for £12k, or a nearly new day-date on leather for similar money.

However, what has really caught my eye is something I never thought I would consider...

I don't like skeleton dials. I hate Hublot (even making a thread about it a few years ago...), but then I saw this:

The Hublot Classic fusion ultra-thin. 42mm titanium case, in-house manual movement with 90hr reserve, very different but more discreet than your average Hublot and very well finished. Available from the grey market for c. £9k (RRP 12.5k). Even at that price I'm sure I would lose a bucketful if I ever came to sell it on... My final grail watches would be a RO 15202 or a PP 5712 but I am miles off being able to afford them, and I'd like something that would be more versatile for formal and office occasions than any of my current watches manage. Any other suggestions, and would you sell in the same position? The Hulk will probably only continue to accumulate value in particular.

Craftsman
    I certainly wouldn’t be looking to sell a watch like the Hulk which is fairly “liquid” in the ease of its disposal, to then put the money into something that you’d just take a bath on when trying to sell.

Ian, this is interesting- I’m currently towards the end of doing exactly the same thing, but getting down from 20+ to 5. We also have similar taste.

I want to end up with one diver, one chrono, one dress, one pilot and one ‘top end’ watch. So far, I don’t miss the ones I let go as they just sat in the watch box, and l have had some fun with the money that’s been released. The hobby SHOULD be fun, and I personally didn’t find it particularly fun having a load of watches (but other’s mileage may vary).

I’d say that if you’re thinking about it then you should probably do it, but be aware it’s maybe all part of a watch collecting cycle. My advice is you’ll probably end up buying more eventually, so don’t let go of any watches you REALLY like and will struggle to buy again.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think you're mad ditching a 116610LV at this point in time Ian.
    However, I don't think you're mad going for the hublot ultra thin. Theyre cracking watches and different from the standard fare.

Personally id keep the Rolex, ditch the rest, and put them towards the AP, or forget the AP and go Hublot.
    That way IMO, you don't have the ticky box bases range but you've kept the stable watches.

Whilst its very easy to say "you'd be mad to sell the Hulk" and "Its far more liquid than a Hublot" that's assuming that absolute value for money and wealth preservation is the driving force.

Some on here would be horrified about losing say a £1,000 but if you've accepted there is real cost to this hobby then its not that daft at all.

Sell the Hulk easily and accept that you'll have something far more interesting, unique or special on your wrist at a relatively small loss to you.

Only you can decide what that acceptable loss is but the fact you are considering it means its probably OK.

You'll always be able to buy another Hulk if you find you really miss it.

Be brave!

Flip the speedy and the Breitling

Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    Spot on - keep Hulk

Grand Master
    Never heard of such a reason for bot wearing watches regularly.........power reserve and date- setting.

Seriously, how long does it take to reset the date and give the watch a few winds?

Is it me, or does this seem crazy. You either like a watch enough to keep or you don’t. Power reserve and date- setting shouldn’t influence the decision in any way.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Never heard of such a reason for bot wearing watches regularly.........power reserve and date- setting.

Seriously, how long does it take to reset the date and give the watch a few winds?

Is it me, or does this seem crazy. You either like a watch enough to keep or you don’t. Power reserve and date- setting shouldn’t influence the decision in any way.

Paul
    It depends. I've consigned myself to a small selection of watches in my collection now like the OP, but I've steered away from the draw of a perpetual calendar because I know it wont get worn every day, or even week. And that for me defeats the purpose.

Standard date watches though yes, a bit more contentious.

Master

Paul
    Pure laziness Paul! Sometimes I'm running late in the morning and don't even want to waste another minute on setting a watch. Crazy I know. I end up wearing a couple of watches for a month or so at a time before I swap over. It has, if nothing else, made me realise that 7 isn't necessary. Of course I could always bank the money after selling some but that would be the craziest suggestion of all!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    I should have also said that the BLNR, Speedy and SMPc have reasonable sentimental value as they were bought for occasions (the Speedy being for winning a major individual award in my industry) so those 3 are being kept regardless.

I'm genuinely wondering if I need anything more than my:
    • 114060: Mon-Thurs
    • PAM005: Friday to Sunday
    • Already battered G-Shock: when I'm riding my mountain bike, brawling in town etc
    • Grandad's old Longines: weddings, balls and funerals

Craftsman
    Keep The Hulk at all costs.Anything else chop away!!!

I don't think you're mad at all. In fact, I've been looking at my collection recently and thinking I could let the Speedy Tuesday and Harrods Black Bay go and have enough for a Hublot Aerofusion Black Magic. Financial suicide, no doubt... but then I do feel like the Aerofusion would be a bit more "fun"!

On the other hand, that amount would also make a decent contribution towards an AP 5402, which would likely stay in my collection longer than the Hublot might...

Decisions, decisions!

All the best with whatever you decide!

Paul

Craftsman
    If I was in your boots I'd keep the Hulk, BLNR and the Speedy.
    Then I'd keep the cash and play the waiting game for the PP 5512 / RO 15202.

The Hublot is quite a divisive watch in regards to aesthetics, but if you like it then great.
    However, in my opinion the best things comes to those who wait, so why not aim for the grail? :)

I’ve just gone through a consolidation (although still have more than Youre current number)but actually bought a 3239 as feel it’s very flexible, both formal and casual and easily wearable under a shirt cuff.

Master

I've 'consolidated' over the last six months, down from about eight watches to three. And it feels great. Among the more noticeable sales have been a 5711 , an SD43 and a ceramic Daytona.
    What i don't want, is for my little collection to be influenced by 'the market.' Just by my personal taste.

So that's it....consolidated.
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd July 2018 at 15:49.

Master
    The problem with consolidation to a grail is once you have it it's not a grail any more. The king is dead, long live the king.

I am currently struggling with everything i have, even have borrowed a watch off a fellow TZer to have a look at something different. Madness!

Master
    The only mad watch collector (or any sort of collector for that matter) are those who buy a watch and then have to sell it a few months later because they are skint.

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    If I was in your boots I'd keep the Hulk, BLNR and the Speedy.
    Then I'd keep the cash and play the waiting game for the PP 5512 / RO 15202.

The Hublot is quite a divisive watch in regards to aesthetics, but if you like it then great.
    However, in my opinion the best things comes to those who wait, so why not aim for the grail? :)
    Agreed 100%.

Get the Hublot if you must, but don’t sell a Rolex to do it.

Personally, I’d simply sell all the non-Rolex watches except that lovely Zenith (the Speedy can stay too if it’s actually getting wrist time), skip the Hublot and proceed directly to the 15202.
    Last edited by Belligero; 2nd July 2018 at 17:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I'm genuinely wondering if I need anything more than my:
    • 114060: Mon-Thurs
    • PAM005: Friday to Sunday
    • Already battered G-Shock: when I'm riding my mountain bike, brawling in town etc
    • Grandad's old Longines: weddings, balls and funerals
    Probably don’t need any more than those :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The only mad watch collector (or any sort of collector for that matter) are those who buy a watch and then have to sell it a few months later because they are skint.
    Guff

Master
    Consolidation appears to be a natural part of the journey. You can’t keep every watch you buy and continue to buy at the same rate (well you could, but it would be expensive). It is also natural that your aspirations raise to more expensive watches (not in all cases, but certainly in mine and many others here).

I wouldn’t comment on whether you are selecting the right watches to sell or the next purchase as that is a personal thing, but nothing wrong with the principle of consolidation

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yeah, the unexpected wedding etc.

Blog Entries
    I mainly wear the 5167A (for gardening and hot weather like today) and also my 5146J Annual Calendar for smart causal. And have a Brietling Evo Night Mission currently on Isophrane as a backup. The others are becoming superfluous - but doesn’t stop me looking. Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Keep The Hulk at all costs.Anything else chop away!!!
    What's the fascination with a very nice watch in a pretty horrid green? It seems the attraction to most people is that you can sell it for more than you bought it for, but then when you want to get rid everyone tells you not to.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    What's the fascination with a very nice watch in a pretty horrid green? It seems the attraction to most people is that you can sell it for more than you bought it for, but then when you want to get rid everyone tells you not to.
    Exactly.

It wasn't that long ago there were plenty threads on here that were at best 50/50 in favour of even owning a 116610LV never mind it being considered some kind of grail "must keep at all costs" watch.

I actually quite like it but have become tired of the increasingly close correlation between scarcity and how much people suddenly love it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh here we go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Oh here we go.
    What have I done?

Personally I am most surprised I have not even received one surreptitious PM offering to buy it...

Interesting choice OP. I think I would do as you suggest.

I have the 4 styles you suggest as a core collection, Evo, Sub, ExpII and Speedy, so I get your choices. If I get anything else it would be something dressier and a bit “haute”, so pretty much your plan.

You have a sentimental attachment to your SMPc, so that is fine. The Hulk will do well in terms of asset preservation, but as you are considering letting it go it sounds like you don’t love it. To be honest I’ve never got on with the green-ness if it.

So consolidation seems OK.

Now I don’t know what the supply of the 15202 is like, but at an rrp of £19200, you wont be a million miles away.

I like Hublot, although the Big Bang is what they are known for rather then the attractive watch you have found.

If it was me, I would be consolidating into a Lange Saxonia, but maybe you should investigate the 15202 option, if that is what you really want. I think you could liberate the IWC and Zenith now, and sell the Hulk closer to your new purchase.

If a couple of years on a waiting list gets you a grail at rrp, I wouldn’t settle for less.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 2nd July 2018 at 20:27.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    What have I done?

Personally I am most surprised I have not even received one surreptitious PM offering to buy it...
    No not you Ian :)
    I've already supported your hub choice.
    I was here we go'ing about the inevitable lvc cynicism.

Master
    Common sense says an RO or Calatrava and not Hublot or skeletonised, and yet... I find myself thinking you might just end up with a personal choice that you like, instead of the obvious choice everyone likes.

So long as it's a keeper, otherwise common sense wins.

Pure laziness Paul! Sometimes I'm running late in the morning and don't even want to waste another minute on setting a watch. Crazy I know. I end up wearing a couple of watches for a month or so at a time before I swap over. It has, if nothing else, made me realise that 7 isn't necessary. Of course I could always bank the money after selling some but that would be the craziest suggestion of all!
    You have a great collection that looks like it will keep appreciating.

My 2c/p - Get a watch winder, set it up, keep all the watches and rotate daily!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I've 'consolidated' over the last six months, down from about eight watches to three. And it feels great. Among the more noticeable sales have been a 5711 , an SD43 and a ceramic Daytona.
    What i don't want, is for my little collection to be influenced by 'the market.' Just by my personal taste.

So that's it....consolidated.

Paul
    Hi Paul,
    When coupled with power reserve, I reached the same conclusion ie setting the date was the issue, but I’m don’t think the OP was specific on this point (unless I missed it - which is always possible.)

However, I ve changed my small collection on the basis that some of them have dates. But it’s nothing to do with setting the date. I could no longer read it, which I find incredibly frustrating and under the circumstances a superfluous (to me) complication.

Gary

Master
    Looking at RRP, I didn’t realise an Aquanaut was in reach... anyone know what the waiting list is like in London? Presuming it’s “no chance”given WF have them for over £20k?

Master
    I would agree, go for what you like rather than what everyone else thinks that you should buy. It's you that will be wearing and looking at it after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Common sense says an RO or Calatrava and not Hublot or skeletonised, and yet... I find myself thinking you might just end up with a personal choice that you like, instead of the obvious choice everyone likes.

So long as it's a keeper, otherwise common sense wins.
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'd go all out for the AP RO. Would absolutely love to own one one day, realistically not going to happen for the next 10/20 years as I've got an 18 month old daughter who seems to get more expensive by the day!

Master
    My own experience has been that the most sought-after watches may not be the best for you. Pateks and APs are just as capable of disappointing you, as any other watch. In fact, you could make the case that watches at half the price are sometimes as good.
    The only worthwhile goal is to buy what you genuinely like, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Looking at RRP, I didn’t realise an Aquanaut was in reach... anyone know what the waiting list is like in London? Presuming it’s “no chance”given WF have them for over £20k?
    Waiting list is LOL.
    Greys selling unworn for 25k. :-/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Waiting list is LOL.
    Greys selling unworn for 25k. :-/
    thought so. The missus doesn't like the Aquanaut anyway, should I decide to listen to her!