closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SORTED! Ideas for unplanned last-minute Dad & Daughter break

Master

SORTED! Ideas for unplanned last-minute Dad & Daughter break

My daughter (11yrs) was booked into a Netball club for all of next week (13/08 - 17/08) but has been having on and off pain in her knee. A visit to our GP has revealed it's Osgood-Schlatter disease - quite common in sporty kids during growth-spurts apparently and should hopefully sort itself out in time, but for now any running is making it quite sore for her, so we've had to cancel her netball week.

I'm now thinking of using a few days holiday to do something with her but obviously don't have much time left to plan. My wife's already covering a week later in the summer and doesn't have a huge amount of holiday left to play with, so it'll just be me and my daughter.

Our default trip together would normally be to the mountains somewhere - we've done Ben Nevis and Snowdon a couple of times together in the past. She's able to walk fine at the moment, but I'm wary of doing anything that makes her knee worse e.g. long days out in the hills, so I'm looking for alternative ideas.

Some sort of purpose to the trip or an activity we could both do together might be fun. Alton Towers would be perfect as she's a rollercoaster nut, but I'm NOT enduring that during the school holidays!

Any ideas?!
    Last edited by gcleminson; 8th August 2018 at 15:40.

How about a bit of kayaking or canoeing? Somewhere not too challenging, where you can head down stream with a collection at the other end, as you get to see more scenery that way!

Wye Valley?

Activity sounds important (which is great!). What about some days of water sports in a lake/sea? Perhaps something like kayaking, paddle boarding etc.

Edit: what Maysie said

Master
    I was also going to suggest kayaking....what about Pembrokeshire?? It's lovely and it's on the coastal path so you can do walking as well as kayaking (many taster sessions available during summer)

not sure where you are but (and no affiliation to this company, albeit have used them - there are others) how about:-

http://riverdeepmountainhigh.co.uk/

The gorge scrambling is sensational and in this weather will be great. Then if your daughter is up to walking plenty of low level good walks / cycling in the Lakes as well

Master
    We live in Sussex but I'm happy to drive pretty much anywhere in the UK and she's a patient passenger.

We kayaked and did canyoning in the Ardeche Gorge the summer before last. We had a great time but it was an epic day out doing the length of the gorge and I think that's the kayak boxed ticked at least for a few years. The canyoning she absolutely loved and I was vaguely aware there are good opportunities to do it in Pembrokeshire. It was pretty physical though - maybe one to look at again in the future.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 7th August 2018 at 14:40.

Craftsman
    Go surfing in Cornwall.

Hours sitting on the lineup chatting with your daughter waiting for a wave.

Bliss

lots of ice cream and then some more :)

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    We kayaked and did canyoning in the Ardeche Gorge the summer before last. We had a great time but it was an epic day out doing the length of the gorge and I think that's the kayak boxed ticked at least for a few years.
    How about dinghy (Topper) sailing then?

Fun on the water, but quite technical too.

Quote Originally Posted by sswiss View Post
    Go surfing in Cornwall.

Hours sitting on the lineup chatting with your daughter waiting for a wave.

Bliss
    And the giant zip wire at Eden.

Or Zip World in Wales. PS. It's not a clothes fastening museum.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 7th August 2018 at 15:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    I was also going to suggest kayaking....what about Pembrokeshire?? It's lovely and it's on the coastal path so you can do walking as well as kayaking (many taster sessions available during summer)
    Pembs is the most beautiful area and there are no Cornish people there, so that would get my vote, coasteering, kayaking, RIB to the islands to see the puffins and dolphins, perfect Dad and daughter time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    And the giant zip wire at Eden.

Or Zip World in Wales. PS. It's not a clothes fastening museum.

I've taken her to the Eden project before. And Zip World. Sorry, I'm starting to sound like one of those parents...

Zip World and bounce below are awesome. We've done the one at Blaenau (we had to put a few rocks in her pocket before she stepped on the scales as she was just under) ;-)

We've got tickets for the three of us for that really fast one at their other site. We bought them over two years ago and have tried to use them at least 3 times now, but each time we've been scuppered by high wind.. They've been good about extending them each time, but it's too far to travel up on the spur of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Pembs is the most beautiful area and there are no Cornish people there, so that would get my vote, coasteering, kayaking, RIB to the islands to see the puffins and dolphins, perfect Dad and daughter time
    I really don't know Pembrokeshire but Puffins and dolphins might have just clinched it. Will do a bit of research - don't want to make the same mistake as last year when we went to Iceland hoping to see puffins, seals and killer whales - we went during the short period of time during the year when they've all buggered off elsewhere..
    Last edited by gcleminson; 7th August 2018 at 17:35.

Master
    Road trip to JoG, that should take the week.and rest the knee.

Music festival! Sziget starts this week! We went every year from 2010 to 2014 (my daughters were aged 4-7 and 6-9) and it was fanbloodytastic every time. A bit of a hike to Budapest although once there it is incredible value, family friendly, and the food and drink isn't a rip-off.

Take her on a city break to Rome or Paris. A bit of culture, ice cream and retail.

Failing that get her a PADI OW qualification or rent a river boat and tour the Thames.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Take her on a city break to Rome or Paris. A bit of culture, ice cream and retail.

Failing that get her a PADI OW qualification or rent a river boat and tour the Thames.
    Yes.

Or Berlin (excellent trains,trams to cut down on walking) - v picturesque and full of happy young people

Or Amsterdam - pretty, has Rijksmuseum, Van Gough museum etc etc

Journeyman
    https://www.howstean.co.uk/families/outdoor-fun-kids/

Perhaps not best for a sore knee, but plenty to do for active kids and parents and set in some beautiful countryside. One for the future perhaps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Yes.

Or Berlin (excellent trains,trams to cut down on walking) - v picturesque and full of happy young people

Or Amsterdam - pretty, has Rijksmuseum, Van Gough museum etc etc
    Don't do it (Amsterdam, that is). My wife has her office just outside the city centre and normally she has no intention to go to the centre. However, this afternoon she had to pick up a present for my eldest. Her company owns a small boat that's suited for the canals. Currently, the best way to get into the city centre. So she took the boat. Streets are over-crowded with tourists, it's hot, sweaty and not pleasant in general. Even shé complained about the messy, more or less chaotic situation (and she didn't have to use public transport...)

Without here sore knee, I would suggest a week on the water, learning to sail! A skill for life! The physical part of it can be problematic for her knee. As a sidestep: my eldest had the same problem when he was 11 or 12 y/o. It will go away. Proper shoes, not worn and old help a lot. We found out that sports shoes like Nikes etc are no problem but often these kids go on too long on worn-out shoes.

M

If she's a fan of Harry Potter you could take her to the Warner Bros Studios Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Road trip to JoG, that should take the week.and rest the knee.
    I've tried but my google seems weak this morning. JoG?

Master
    John o'groats

Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Hehe, sadly: "The lower age limit for all types of parachuting in the UK is 16."

Master
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I did a search on Pembrokeshire / puffins and seems you can get a boat out to Skomer, and there's accomodation on the island - only problem is the timing - the vast majority of the puffins have left by the start of August, so we'd be too late for that. One to remember though.

She's not old enough to do her PADI yet but that's something she'd like to do when she's older.

I'd thought about festivals but hadn't considered Europe - will take a look.

^^^also struggled with JoG - thanks!

Good luck with whatever you choose, quality time with your children is a gift to be cherished.

Regarding her injury, I'd be aiming for something with a swimming angle, healthy exercise but with a reduced load on the knee due to water supporting the injury, so diving, snorkelling, kayaking, sailing, surfing etc, just enjoy it as that time doesn't last long enough.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Sorted!

Thanks to everyone, but especially Mr Curta! I've booked easyjet flights to Budapest for a few days and a day pass to the Sziget festival :)

Looks amazing, thanks for the suggestion. Any particular tips??
    Last edited by gcleminson; 8th August 2018 at 15:54. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Great! That could easily become a trip she'll never forget. Even my boys were taken (well... impressed) by the line-up of the bands / artists! Have a great time together!

Menno

That’s brilliant to hear, I’ll be in touch with more info by PM but for now have a browse of this thread:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ip-to-Budapest

We visited again last summer (an amazing gift to my youngest daughter from the Make-A-Wish Foundation), there had been a few changes, mainly around parliament which had received a facelift, but still very much the city we love.