closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple fans

Blog Entries

Apple fans

My phone upgrade is due next week and the EE guy said to wait as all the deals are changing based on what Apple come up with, I'm interested but will not be camping outside any Apple shops like some!!

ECG sensors / monitoring/ warnings in Apple watch 4! Impressive especially as FDA approved ready for US market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    ECG sensors / monitoring/ warnings in Apple watch 4! Impressive especially as FDA approved ready for US market.

Not really a watch though! I suppose no more than an iPhone being a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not really a watch though! I suppose no more than an iPhone being a phone.
    Quoted as the biggest selling watch in the world.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I'm interested now as the iPhones have finally incorporated dual sim functionality!

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Shame there’s not an updated iPhone 8 size cw finger sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I'm interested now as the iPhones have finally incorporated dual sim functionality!

This uses one physical sim and one Apple e-sim which needs carrier support for it to work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    This uses one physical sim and one Apple e-sim which needs carrier support for it to work.
    Yea just read more about it. Could make the effort to get a china-spec one with proper dual SIM, but I'm gonna stick with Android for now unless this eSim really takes off.

I think this year I’m going to buy the handset separately for once and go onto a sim only deal..much better tariff for lots less. Wonder why it’s taken me so long...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I think this year I’m going to buy the handset separately for once and go onto a sim only deal..much better tariff for lots less. Wonder why it’s taken me so long...
    Might be worth looking at the Upgrade Program then. 0% interest with AppleCare+ and a new phone each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Might be worth looking at the Upgrade Program then. 0% interest with AppleCare+ and a new phone each year.
    I buy SIM only. I like the sound of this. Do they take back your old phone?

Wait for the hype monsters to get their “upgrades”

Then these weekend millionaires realise it’s just a phone and sell them for far less than shop price

Even better if you can drop on one that’s locked to your sim only network

Huge savings to be had

Also the 8 and 8 plus are now cheaper

Indeed an 8 off here for £400 was a bargain and mint
    My nephew popped his Tesco sim in and deal was done

Caps texts and surfing etc - I don’t NEES the new one but it’s a treat if you can find one for a low price as residuals on older ones still pretty firm

And you’re the man who’ll turn those ‘huge savings’ into profits, aren’t you ? Pathetic !
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    I buy SIM only. I like the sound of this. Do they take back your old phone?
    Yes that’s the deal, your phone goes back, they refurb and sell.

You get a new phone every year but you lose the windfall of selling your existing phone, but get to choose a sim-only deal for your calls/data.

I joined it last year, it worked out about a tenner cheaper than a combined phone/contract deal (but you’re also insured for damage) on the iPhone 8.

I’ll look at upgrading to the X-R but the X is just a stupid price to me.

Apple fans

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I did exactly that a month ago on two handsets. Based on the prices of the old iPhones we will save £750 over a two year period. That’s not included the trade in value of the old phones so the savings will increase once they are sold, if we even upgrade. Phones are a really muchness for me these days.

Last edited by Andyp1973; 13th September 2018 at 07:04.

I need to look into the dual sim a bit more but I do think it’s time I moved my iPhone 7 on and upgraded!
    The watch is looking more and more interesting but I can bring myself to do that I prefer my real watches too much and find the Apple Watch too big to wear on other wrist.

Master
    Dual sim could be a game changer if it is a proper dual sim and works. I have android for years, and changing to apple cannot be a consideration until they have this feature. But that is just me!

Master
    Looks like Apple have discontinued the SE, pity its just such a good size

Price of these is getting pretty ridiculous now.

Master
    The XR looks like pretty “good value” compared to the XS. Will be interested to see how the screens compare and the quality of the materials which seems to be the main difference aside from the dual camera

Journeyman
    Disappointed with the XS until the launch I was almost 100% going to get it but considering the price and that there's not so much of a difference to the original X....I think I'll wait for next year and see what they come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GScorcho View Post
    Disappointed with the XS until the launch I was almost 100% going to get it but considering the price and that there's not so much of a difference to the original X....I think I'll wait for next year and see what they come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Not much difference ?
    I probably watched a different presentation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have used my 6s for the last 3 years. I may upgrade this year, maybe not. If you use the phone for at least 3 years, the high price of the handset is justifiable (to me). I have an EE SIM-only deal that works for me.

The Xr looks interesting but the spec doesn’t mention 3D Touch screen - have they really dropped it? The 6s, 7 and 8 all had it. Hopefully that is a typo.

Journeyman
    No real difference on the phones, but the new watch looks interesting, some improvements on features there [probably get abuse if i brought this up on watch talk]

The watch is revolutionary, relatively speaking. But the technology of the Xs blows the X in terms of performance. More than 6 to 6S.

Master
    Quite happy with my X so I won’t be upgrading the phone but I will be buying the watch I’ve loved my series 3 after buying it on impulse as an experiment it’s become my most worn watch and I often find myself trying to read a text on a mechanical watch when I wear them now lol.

I’m not going to upgrade my X but will be ordering an series 4 watch to replace my series 2.

Blog Entries
    Reasonably happy with my 6S and watched the new launch with interest. I am quite prepared to upgrade to a point but the new big ‘kick-ass’ jobbie at heading for £1,400 is too much of a Apple absolute piss-take for me to bite! So, it is a NO and FROA! From me.

I installed the GM of iOS 12 on my iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5 today. It runs faster than iOS 11 on them so that’s another reason not to upgrade.

Dual-SIM could actually bring me to buy a brand-new iPhone for the 1st time.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Dual-SIM could actually bring me to buy a brand-new iPhone for the 1st time.

R
    Dual sim has one physical and one eSIM. Both numbers are active at the same time so there is no need to switch between them manually.

The eSIM requires carrier support. In the UK only EE support the eSIM in the Apple Watch at the moment. From 1st October, Vodafone will also support the Apple Watch eSIM. EE are the only carrier shown as supporting the iPhone eSIM on the Apple website

Apple say this in the tech specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    eSIM will be available later this year through a software update. Use of eSIM requires a wireless service plan (which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after contract expires). Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details. To learn more, visit https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I have used my 6s for the last 3 years. I may upgrade this year, maybe not. If you use the phone for at least 3 years, the high price of the handset is justifiable (to me). I have an EE SIM-only deal that works for me.

The Xr looks interesting but the spec doesn’t mention 3D Touch screen - have they really dropped it? The 6s, 7 and 8 all had it. Hopefully that is a typo.

I've read good things about the stability and speed of IOS12 on older phones. I think in your position I'd install it and take advantage of Apple's offer of a new battery for £25 (usually £79), which is valid into December. Although my 7 plus is only a year old I'll be getting a new battery installed at that price as late as I can.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've read good things about the stability and speed of IOS12 on older phones. I think in your position I'd install it and take advantage of Apple's offer of a new battery for £25 (usually £79), which is valid into December. Although my 7 plus is only a year old I'll be getting a new battery installed at that price as late as I can.
    I went in a few weeks back and they discouraged me from doing so because my battery health showing 85%. If I had persisted I’m sure they’d have obliged but they really weren’t keen.

Master
    I took my 6S Plus in for a new battery last week as the battery health was showing at 80%. When I went to pick it up they told me they had issues replacing the battery so they gave me a new phone. Not bad for £25! The phone was at least 12 months out of warranty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I took my 6S Plus in for a new battery last week as the battery health was showing at 80%. When I went to pick it up they told me they had issues replacing the battery so they gave me a new phone. Not bad for £25! The phone was at least 12 months out of warranty.
    On the other hand for most Android phones you could just have ordered another battery from Amazon for substantially less than that and kept the first one as a spare. Flip off the back, push it in, job done.

Master
    Maybe. I’m happy with my new £650 phone that cost me £25 though. I’d rather that than my old phone with a cheaper battery.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. Same model handset as well. Far out of warranty but they gave me a new handset which I’m completely happy with.

Master
    I wondered if they did it because the 6 is no longer for sale and it’s easier for them just to get rid of old stock rather than employing techs to change batteries all day.

My 6s is down to 78%. Hope battery replacement doesn’t go to plan!

Don’t see me replacing the phone for couple of years TBH.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    On the other hand for most Android phones you could just have ordered another battery from Amazon for substantially less than that and kept the first one as a spare. Flip off the back, push it in, job done.
    As you could with a Nokia 3310

Back in the real world, many Android phones have had sealed batteries for some time - Galaxy S, Note, Pixel etc. Where Apple leads, the sheep follow - that includes its rivals.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Good advice, thank you

My 6s was bought the day they came out, it was eligible for a free battery replacement which I had early last year from memory. Took under a week (they paid postage both ways) and battery health is 94%. I expect it’ll last me another year. For £25 it is a bargain - original Nokia batteries were not hugely cheaper and they were tiny by comparison.

Same here. My 7 plus will be two years old early next year, got it as soon as they were available in my neck of the woods. My plan's always been to hang onto it for a bit longer, I'll get the £25 battery replacement as late as possible and see how it goes. It's not slow by any means, and as has been mentioned several time before iOS 12 apparently is quite good for improving the performance of older devices.

As an aside, Apple are really starting to give me the s##@* now. I am tempted by the new full screens, I'd be looking as the XS max to replace my 7 plus. I always go for the biggest memory I can get digital hoarder! 😂 But come on £1449 for the 512g??? I paid less than that for my last MacBook Pro 13 a few years ago!!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Same here. My 7 plus will be two years old early next year, got it as soon as they were available in my neck of the woods. My plan's always been to hang onto it for a bit longer, I'll get the £25 battery replacement as late as possible and see how it goes. It's not slow by any means, and as has been mentioned several time before iOS 12 apparently is quite good for improving the performance of older devices.

As an aside, Apple are really starting to give me the s##@* now. I am tempted by the new full screens, I'd be looking as the XS max to replace my 7 plus. I always go for the biggest memory I can get digital hoarder! But come on £1449 for the 512g??? I paid less than that for my last MacBook Pro 13 a few years ago!!!!
    and only £150 cheaper than my iMac 5k 2 years exactly gone

I ordered a 44mm aluminium Series 4 watch. No phone for me this year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchfreek View Post
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. Same model handset as well. Far out of warranty but they gave me a new handset which I’m completely happy with.

Hoping to get the battery done in my iPhone 7 soon - it's only down to 87% but I'm really starting to notice that missing capacity on a day to day basis now, especially on days with heavier use. Fingers crossed they see fit to give me a new device as well.. though I appreciate that's extremely unlikely!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    The XR looks like pretty “good value” compared to the XS. Will be interested to see how the screens compare and the quality of the materials which seems to be the main difference aside from the dual camera
    £749 for non-OLED at less than 1080 pixels high (a lot less) doesn't seem like great value to me. It was the deal breaker - I would gladly buy it with an LCD but not that size at that resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    No the specs are correct, they have removed it from that model and included "haptic" touch which is equivalent to the feedback you get on the Mac touchpad.

Blog Entries
    Glad I get the Phone free from my employer, private use is OK.
    Never bought an I-Phone for myself, but now I've got an 8S and 5SE, the 5SE is my private Phone, I could buy it from my employer for 100 Euro's, still under warranty.

Not really impressed by the new apple stuff, they used to be innovative, but now make their profits by just upping the prices.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    If anyone's interested and impatient...

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-th...s-r-1829042693

Installed it earlier today. My 7plus is certainly working quicker and snappier now, so it should be good for older models. Downside is that I'm now getting a message up saying that I need to update the OS on my Mac from Yosemite to at least 10.11.4 so that iTunes will recognise the phone. No big deal, did a Time Machine backup and will do the update tomorrow.
    F.T.F.A.

If you've installed the GM of iOS 12 it's worth removing the beta profile now so you don't get the 12.1 beta installed automatically at some point after Monday.