closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 1803

Thread: Formula 1 2018

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

It's such a shame that in Britain we seem to love to hate our sporting stars. I get why some people don't like Hamiliton but the obsessional hatred many seem to have for him is way over the top.

It leads me to question why every little thing he does is judged so harshly whilst others who are / were equally or even more single minded like Mansell, Senna, Alonso Verstappen jnr, etc seem to be almost universally hero worshiped. Even Schumacher, probably the dirtiest driver of them all, had quite a few British fans (because some can't seem to see past the black horse).

Is Hamilton the dirtiest driver in F1? Does he slag off and disrespect his rivals all the time? Does he always demand his team employ a weaker team mate and that he be given total number 1 status to the detriment of said team mate? Has he deliberately driven into a rival behind the safety car because he got a bit angry? Does he constantly ignore the rules of overtaking then winge like a toddler when a penalty is inevitably enforced? Has he "parked" up his car in an awkward position in qualifying to ensure he gets pole position? When things don't go his way does he slag off his own team to the point where none of the top teams want to employ him?

His worst failings are a tendency to speak his mind / sulk in the heat of the moment and for posing on social media. For sure he sometimes does himself no favours but is he really as bad as you and others make out? And even though you really don't like him can't you at least acknowledge he is a great driver and 5 titles is a fantastic achievement?
    Absolutely spot on!

I find all the comments on here about Lewis only doing what he’s done because he had the best car rather amusing. How many of Schumacher’s titles were won in a car that wasn’t the best on the grid? How many teammates did Schumacher have who were capable of, or allowed to challenge him?

Why can’t the Brits on here just be happy that we have a five times World Champion at the top of his game?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    Absolutely spot on!

I find all the comments on here about Lewis only doing what he’s done because he had the best car rather amusing. How many of Schumacher’s titles were won in a car that wasn’t the best on the grid? How many teammates did Schumacher have who were capable of, or allowed to challenge him?

Why can’t the Brits on here just be happy that we have a five times World Champion at the top of his game?
    He's also won a decent chunk of races without the best car, this season included. He's had teammates that have been allowed to race him, he's matched Alonso as a rookie, in the same car. Doesn't make mistakes, pulls special laps out when needed, great in the wet. Doesn't have any obvious weaknesses, and getting into the right car is a skill, an important one (as Alonso has shown!).

In every way but stats, he's surpassed Schumacher for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

There is a good video on the BBC website regarding LH status and him winning 5 WDC's. Might be worth having a look if you remain unconvinced about his pedigree.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Link:

‘You have to be able to deal with it if more than 100,000 people come, but it is doable,’ spokesman Menno de Pater said. ‘You get that many people on a summer’s day already.’

That's not to say that there won't be a traffic jam.
    So there will be 100,000 there for the beach, and another 100,000 for the GP?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    So there will be 100,000 there for the beach, and another 100,000 for the GP?
    Realistically: 100k for the beach and 200k for 'Max-mania'. Haarlem and Zandvoort cannot cope with that amount of traffic. Let's hope that the Dutch Grand Prix is scheduled as the first one on the calendar when it's still too cold to go to the sea...

Last year, MV displayed his skills on Zandvoort during two days in a row, during a demonstration run every day. 100k visitors each day...

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    He's also won a decent chunk of races without the best car, this season included. He's had teammates that have been allowed to race him, he's matched Alonso as a rookie, in the same car. Doesn't make mistakes, pulls special laps out when needed, great in the wet. Doesn't have any obvious weaknesses, and getting into the right car is a skill, an important one (as Alonso has shown!).

In every way but stats, he's surpassed Schumacher for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    I quite agree.

Rob Smedley is leaving Williams at the end of the season.

It's hard to think of Williams as the once dominant force in Formula 1, but the team in its' current incarnation isn't even a shadow of the formidable force it once was.

Such a shame, and it's hard to see a way forward for them. The aero problems which blighted their 2018 season appear to have been resolved, but a desperately inexperienced driver lineup and what appears to be ineffectual management has resulted in a very poor season.

I'm not sure what persuaded Paddy Lowe to join Williams, but he doesn't appear to have had much of an impact, and the loss of Smedley will further weaken an already shaky management.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Does anyone have the scuttlebutt on where Middlesbrough's favourite son* is likely to turn up next?

* A man who seemly likes to carry a fallback timekeeping mechanism just in case.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Does anyone have the scuttlebutt on where Middlesbrough's favourite son* is likely to turn up next?

* A man who seemly likes to carry a fallback timekeeping mechanism just in case.

I would not be surprised to start seeing more people heading over to Formula-E so he could well be en-route there... If it was another F1 team I would have thought he'd be gardening by now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmiller View Post
    I would not be surprised to start seeing more people heading over to Formula-E so he could well be en-route there... If it was another F1 team I would have thought he'd be gardening by now!
    .. because of all the competitive secrets he may take from Williams that underpin their success!

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

Ask Massa, he’s made a career out of him

Quote Originally Posted by ggmiller View Post
    I would not be surprised to start seeing more people heading over to Formula-E so he could well be en-route there...
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Ask Massa, he’s made a career out of him
    Now there's a line of thought - http://www.arabnews.com/node/1395431/sport

It's time for the planet's most expensive and profligate sport to once again pitch itself into the poverty-stricken slums of Sao Paulo for what has become, in recent years, one of the more interesting end-of-term races.

Helped by the fact that the circuit has significant elevation changes, a variety of corner profiles, and appalling drainage for what is often a rain-affected race, there's always plenty of interest. The long uphill finish to the lap is hard on engines, and this is the penultimate race of a long season, so mechanical frailties are exposed, and the DRS zone along the start/finish straight which terminates in the first left-hander into the Senna "S" chicane provides the opportunity for some overtaking moves which would seem overly ambitious on many other circuits. Combined with the almost inevitable first lap fracas through the first three corners, Brazil can throw up some unexpected results.

Championship wise, it's pretty much done and dusted, although Ferrari have a mathematical chance of the Constructors' title, but the lower part of the Constructors' championship has still to be resolved, and there's a lot of prize money at stake for some teams in danger of financial embarrassment. It's worth noting that Williams have yet to break into double figures, while Racing Point Force India sit 40 points ahead of them. And McLaren, who were bravely trumpeting that they would be scrapping with Red Bull this season, having extracted themselves from Honda and managed to get themselves a Renault deal are 300 points behind the Milton Keynes based Bulls. Next season, Red Bull will have Honda power. Which will be interesting.

Tyre choices for the weekend:

More later.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    so it looks like Vietnam has officially got the nod, F1.com

interested to see where this will slot in the Calendar, back to back with China or Singapore?
    Surprised Liberty have gone down this Far East route, I'd have though the Miami or NYC options would be more viable for the masses
    I'll be checking the Calendar and my Shift rota when announced...

Isn't Hanoi essentially the swap-out for Malaysia?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    Isn't Hanoi essentially the swap-out for Malaysia?

Yes.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Update from Friday's sessions in Brazil, and it seems that if Daniel Ricciardo didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all - when he retired from the last race in Mexico with smoke and flame coming from the Renault engine, a marshal quite reasonably aimed his fire extinguisher at the flames.

The extinguishant went up the tailpipe, and into the turbo, where it solidified. As a result, the usually affable Australian has to take a new turbocharger, and as a result has a five place grid penalty.

At the beginning of FP2 Nico Hulkenberg had an unusual crash in the uphill curve which leads on to the start/finish straight, running wide onto the grass, followed by a trip into the barriers, bringing out the red flags and curtailing his session. At this time of the season, with power unit components at a premium an incident like this presents a real problem for a team, because the other car needs to work through the simulations, tyre wear/degredation analysis, setup work and so on.

Incidents such as these highlight the unintended consequences and problems caused by the power unit component restrictions. Here is state of play prior to this weekend:

https://www.pitpass.com/63441/Brazil...-Unit-elements

Each driver has three ICE, turbo and MGU-H units, and two of the other components.

Destroyed the scales, brilliant

Destroyed the scales, brilliant
    "I don't think I should say anything...", with a massive smirk on this face. "I don't think they should call us..."..."It's unfair...".

Hmm...?

Edit Technical Report:

No / Driver 5 – Sebastian Vettel

Reason Alleged breach of Article 29.1.a.i of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations, and/or Article 12.1.1.i of the FIA International Sporting Code at 15:27.

The relevant sections:

• WEIGHING

29.1 a) After any free practice session or during the qualifying practice session cars will be weighed as follows:

i) When signalled to do so the driver will proceed directly to the FIA garage and stop his engine

• 12.1.1.i Failure to follow the instructions of the relevant officials for the safe and orderly conduct of the Event.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th November 2018 at 20:00.

Blog Entries
    Ferrari and Vettel eff'ed up. Again.

just a heads up the Gp is live on sky one today

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    just a heads up the Gp is live on sky one today

I wonder if they will refund my sky sports subscription, I’m pretty sure I’m paying for exclusivity

Well that was hilarious to be honest.

However before people get to worked up - I suggest they review the Brazilian GP race report from 2001. Talk about Karma.

Seriously you could not make this shit up.

Congratulation to Mercedes on Constructor Championship - reliable cars and consistent drivers, unlike some other teams.

Friedrich Nietzsche

MV should get a three race ban

I thought MV was partially to blame and could see Ocons point of view.

Master
    Verstappen did himself no favours today, either by his incident with Ocon nor his interaction with him after the race.

No doubt he is very talented but if he doesn’t grow up a bit and think of the long game I cannot see him ever becoming WDC.

Horner does him no favours either, tacitly supporting him pushing Ocon. IMO Horner needs to talk some sense into Verstappen instead of continually fauning to him.

Another good race by Hamilton sealing the WCC for Mercedes.

Verstappen’s a little b*tch isn’t she. Seriously, a more self-entitled little sod there isn’t in the paddock. Poor form, not the incident per se but more his reaction to it. “How dare someone try and unlap themselves? Do they know who I am?”

I’ve always said that he’s fast but his on track persona will only serve to bring problems when people don’t just drive out of his way... He wont be a world champion until he can adapt and learn when to take risk and more importantly when not to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Verstappen did himself no favours today, either by his incident with Ocon nor his interaction with him after the race.

No doubt he is very talented but if he doesn’t grow up a bit and think of the long game I cannot see him ever becoming WDC.

Horner does him no favours either, tacitly supporting him pushing Ocon. IMO Horner needs to talk some sense into Verstappen instead of continually fauning to him.

Another good race by Hamilton sealing the WCC for Mercedes.

Indeed, in this case, Horner should have sent a few men with Verstappen to prevent this. Many top athletes have anger control issues. Combine that with adrenaline and you have a powder keg and a burning fuse close together. One spark...

Menno

What was the penalty given to SV for ramming LH in Baku?

I must have missed that or just don’t remember SV shoving LH about after the race,

Plus a large fine.

Better still I would like him to offer a public apology to Ocon and to accept his responsibly in the incident. It was really really stupid because he could have let Ocon through and then used the tow, but Max lacks the brains - a chip off the old block.

As some members have pointed out in their previous criticisms of Lewis, Max (like all high profile drivers) have a responsibility as a "role model" for the sport and today his behaviour fell well short.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I have a feeling Leclerc could show up Verstappen next year. Seems to have a far more mature attitude.

It's Ocons fault, but Verstappen has put himself in a bloody stupid position. Why get involved? Healthy lead, fastest car on the day, better tyres than immediate opposition. Idiotic.

Two days community service, what a joke.

Horner should get it as well, as he condoned the behaviour and all he seems to do is keep publicly telling MV how great he is.
    Last edited by adrianw; 11th November 2018 at 22:49.

Craftsman
    Another measured, mature race from Lewis. I hope Danny Ric gets a podium next race (I think he deserves one).

I must have missed that or just don’t remember SV shoving LH about after the race,
    As I said earlier he punishment is a three race ban, people have been banned for life for less
    Let me remind you.

Vettel should have got a three race ban for deliberately hitting another car, as he would have got in any other class of motorsport, we all thought they had gone but
    it seems that the FIA are back
    ...then:

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Guys, you are making rules as you go along. There is a rule book and unless there is a rule that says he can be disqualified it just cannot happen.
    As I said earlier he punishment is a three race ban, people have been banned for life for less
    Here is the FIA's statement about SV's dangerous driving...link.

MV was accused of an “act prejudicial to the interests of any Competition or to the interests of motor sport generally” and is "required to perform two (2) days of public service at the direction of the FIA within six months of the incident. (Penalty under Art. 12.3.1.c of the FIA
    International Sporting Code)".

I was merely trying to draw a comparison between attacking another driver during the race rather than after it.

Here is a better comparison, it seems that Formula one driver are treated differently by the FIA

https://www.autosport.com/f2/news/13...-with-teammate

Here is a better comparison, it seems that Formula one driver are treated differently by the FIA

https://www.autosport.com/f2/news/13...-with-teammate
    Another comparison, yes...but better?

However you do make a good point. This does seem comparable:

...however, there does seem to be a bit of a history to this story and not presenting himself to the stewards cannot have helped his case (link). Before you raised it I had never heard of the man, but after reading about him, I have to ask "more money than sense?"

No you don't take out the race leader.
    Two days community service, what a joke.

Horner should get it as well, as he condoned the behaviour and all he seems to do is keep publicly telling MV how great he is.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It is irrelevant that Verstappen was race leader, MV has made many similar moves in the past.

As Hamilton said to him in the room of awkwardness he, Verstappen, had more to lose than Ocon did.

Verstappen wasn’t thinking of the long game and paid the price. Ocon unlapping himself would not have made any difference to the race result.

Verstappen has used his reputation in the past to intimidate drivers from going for an overtake but this time it backfired.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 12th November 2018 at 08:27.

By being on the track at the same time? The race leader hit him

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I have a feeling Leclerc could show up Verstappen next year. Seems to have a far more mature attitude.

It's Ocons fault, but Verstappen has put himself in a bloody stupid position. Why get involved? Healthy lead, fastest car on the day, better tyres than immediate opposition. Idiotic.

Why do you think it was Ocon's fault?

Friedrich Nietzsche

What just like his father did to Montoya did in 2001, which cost Montoya a win

Alas if your car is quicker than the car in front, its your job to try and overtake. But if you can point me to the reg that bans the overtaking of the "race leader" then I would be very interested in seeing it. That and the Loch Ness Monster, and a Unicorn.

BTW did you see the interview with Max - his " I am a winner" quote. More hilarity especially given the result.

As as I said yesterday, you couldn't make this shit up.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Stupid moves by Verstappen.
    More stupid still by his team as they should have managed both the on and off track events.

That said, I though the unlapping action by Ocon highly surprising. Yes, it is allowed but it is the extreme of a backmarker messing with the leaders. He was nót fighting for position.
    He should imo not have gone for it.
    Still, he is allowed to, he did and Max should have let him go and taken the tow. His team should have instructed him such. Max should have won. Even as it is, his race was impressive with a simply awesome overtake of Hamilton.
    Anyway, he did not win and handed that to Hamilton.

Time for Horner to look in the mirror.

Also thanks to MV for adding a bit of spice to F1. Would have been another bore without him.

max shouldnt have got into that position , and his team should have managed him better post race, but he is maturing all the time, He drove a blinding a race , made the others look amaturish , he is very fast and has an immense amount of natural talent, he will definitly be wdc, if the honda engines deliver next year it could be his year , i am going to have a flutter on him.

A more balanced, and infinitely better informed view of yesterday's events can be found here:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/r...378YTL,1P1ZA,1

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    max shouldn't have got into that position... but he is maturing all the time
    Is he? I don't see it, particularly not in his post-race behaviour yesterday. He came across like a petulant child.

He is undoubtedly a very quick driver and will continue to win races but he's still got some growing up to do before he can string a championship together. See also Vettel this year who seems to be immaturing, if such a thing is possible.

Another interesting piece from Mark Hughes on the 2019 regulation changes.

If you go to the end of the article there's also a look at the 2021 proposals, and some renderings showing what the cars might look like.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...378YTL,1NTE0,1

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    A more balanced, and infinitely better informed view of yesterday's events can be found here:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/r...378YTL,1P1ZA,1
    Why is that more informed, it’s not even a we’ll written piece, it’s just a list of what everyone already knows what happened, no insites, no new news and no opinions. Insipid at best

Formula 1 2018

Why is that more informed, it’s not even a we’ll written piece, it’s just a list of what everyone already knows what happened, no insites, no new news and no opinions. Insipid at best
    Either you were really angry, or I cannot deal with the irony overload

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Cretin.