closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex BLNR, keep or let go?

Journeyman

Rolex BLNR, keep or let go?

Hello

I do have a BLNR from 2017, laying in the safe, not used it the last 11 months. And I am not going to wear it, I find it to glossy with the polished centerlinks and the bezel is a bit to, “ look at me”.

I don’t have to sell it, but sometimes i think about all the money, just laying there.
    Do you still think, that the value continues to go up?

Thanks
    Allan

Blog Entries
    Keep it until you have 250 posts then sell on here if you don’t like it?

As far as value - they are worth as much as the punters will pay for them. If you keep it for 10 years probably the value will go up.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 19th November 2018 at 09:51.

Grand Master
    I would sell now for as much as you can get. If you're lucky someone on here will see the post and make you a good offer.

Invest most of the money and buy a Steinhart to replace the watch.

Journeyman
    I am not trying to post a sales post!... and have no intentions to reach 250 posts, just to put something on Sales corner.
    If I sell, it will be here in Denmark, no trouble with ship and insurence.

Just wanted some thoughts about, what you thinking about a BLNR, that i am not using, And because my 114060 get’s alt the time on my wrist.
    Allan
    Last edited by alyng; 19th November 2018 at 10:42.

If you don’t need to sell I’d keep it. Better than money in the bank ;)

The fact that you have asked the question suggests that you already know the answer.

Sell it.

there's no point keeping it as an 'investment', who knows what will happen to the market. having said that, money in the bank is earning less than inflation, and stock markets -having ridden up to all time highs- are now becoming more volatile. there's no obvious place to put your money to work elsewhere.
    bottom line: if it gives you pleasure then keep, but sounds like its doing nothing for you.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    If you don’t need to sell I’d keep it. Better than money in the bank ;)
    It has been, but there's no certainty that'll continue. I`d take the profits now.

Master
    Sell it if you don't want it but remember that you might not get another at the price you want to pay. I've let a few go over the years and some I wish I still had, others - not bothered. I've got a couple sat in a box that havent been worn for a while but sentiment keeps me attached to them. If you don't need the money don't sell it or think about getting something you really want to wear. there will always be a market for a BLNR. Tudor do a nice Black Bay GMT with a less shiny bezel and you'll have money left over.

Journeyman
    Absolutely no point owning a watch and not wearing it.
    Sell and buy something you truly want to own and wear.
    Sell at retail and make someone very happy.....the current market is naff and prices are ridiculously overinflated. I, personally, would NEVER pay more than retail....patience is far better value.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It has been, but there's no certainty that'll continue. I`d take the profits now.
    My thoughts too.
    And all the roumers, about the BLNR will be discounted at the next BaselWorld in 2019, I don’ belive in. Why discount one of the most populare watches in the lineup?
    Maybe I wait and until march 2019, and see what is happening on the Rolex side?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alyng View Post
    My thoughts too.
    And all the roumers, about the BLNR will be discounted at the next BaselWorld in 2019, I don’ belive in. Why discount one of the most populare watches in the lineup?
    Maybe I wait and until march 2019, and see what is happening on the Rolex side?
    Thanks
    whilst a 'discount' would be nice on a BLNR i think you mean 'discontinue' that said your english is superb compared with many of us Brits.

If you aren't wearing it and not feeling the love sell it and buy something you will get enjoyment out of.

If you don’t like the polished centre links on the bracelet why not try out wearing it with the bracelet from your 114060?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alyng View Post
    Hello

I do have a BLNR from 2017, laying in the safe, not used it the last 11 months. And I am not going to wear it, I find it to glossy with the polished centerlinks and the bezel is a bit to, “ look at me”.

I don’t have to sell it, but sometimes i think about all the money, just laying there.
    Do you still think, that the value continues to go up?

Thanks
    Allan
    Keep it as quite frankly it is better than money in the bank. You can always wear it for the odd day or two.

I agree with you that it's blingy but the demand is exceeding supply and Rolex have learnt that holding back on supply is protecting the brand. Therefore you are onto a winner just holding on to it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Keep it as quite frankly it is better than money in the bank. You can always wear it for the odd day or two.

I agree with you that it's blingy but the demand is exceeding supply and Rolex have learnt that holding back on supply is protecting the brand. Therefore you are onto a winner just holding on to it.
    Good point... I will keep it, try with the bracelet from my 114060 and see what is happening in the future.
    Thank you for all your comments..
    Allan

Master
    If you don’t wear it, then sell it. Prices are at an all time high now. That may continue, or maybe not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    If you don’t wear it, then sell it. Prices are at an all time high now. That may continue, or maybe not.
    If he holds onto it for many years, he will ride out the inevitable ups and downs of the market. Rolex prices have beaten inflation and we all that they are a long term investment.

Whether we like it or not, Rolex and PP are now a form of investment currency.

Grand Master
    Maybe he doesn`t want to invest in Rolex watches on the basis of speculation, which is what he's doing by hanging on to it!

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush on this one, the watch is still like new, still under warranty, unworn etc.....that's a huge following wind in its sails for selling.

There are arguments for and against selling now or hanging on, but if he's not keen on the watch it becomes a straight investment decision.

Paul

Master

There are arguments for and against selling now or hanging on, but if he's not keen on the watch it becomes a straight investment decision.

Paul
    Yes that is correct but at the moment the odds are stacked in its favour.

Investment is about spreading your risk, you can invest in property both in the UK and abroad, you can also invest in equities, antiques, classic cars/bikes, land, gold and so on.

The main thing is to have a bit of everything and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Having a few Rolex is fine.

Whilst we're busy discussing watches as long term investments I often think that the younger generations might lose interest in mechanical watches, if they do we'll see values plummet like a stone as there will just be very few buyers who think 5-10k represents any kind of value for something that just tells the time when they have an iPhone or Apple watch that will do that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Whilst we're busy discussing watches as long term investments I often think that the younger generations might lose interest in mechanical watches, if they do we'll see values plummet like a stone as there will just be very few buyers who think 5-10k represents any kind of value for something that just tells the time when they have an iPhone or Apple watch that will do that.
    Commodities such as watches tend to be bought by middle aged men and the younger generation will be middle aged in 15 years time and then they become investors themselves.

It's all about big boys toys.

Craftsman

Sell while people are prepared to pay a premium.

Rolex gain nothing from these different coloured bezels and it’s only the second hand market where prices are markedly different between the various stainless steel GMT’s. It wouldn’t surprise me if in a few years they offered a more bespoke service where the purchaser can choose between Oyster and Jubilee bracelets and various bezel options.

Cheers
    Rory

Master
    I would keep it. I regret selling mine. Somebody on this forum, who shall remain nameless has got it on his wrist as I type this reply. When I have finished typing I will stand up from my chair and kick myself a few times.

Master
    Commodities such as watches tend to be bought by middle aged men and the younger generation will be middle aged in 15 years time and then they become investors themselves.

It's all about big boys toys.
    Well, sort of; but middle-aged men tend to yearn for stuff they wanted as teenagers, but couldn't afford. And that changes with each generation. If teenagers today don't want luxury watches, they certainly won't seek them out when middle aged. So the future of luxury watches cannot be assumed.

Master
    Yes that is correct but at the moment the odds are stacked in its favour.

Investment is about spreading your risk, you can invest in property both in the UK and abroad, you can also invest in equities, antiques, classic cars/bikes, land, gold and so on.

The main thing is to have a bit of everything and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Having a few Rolex is fine.
    If he has stocks and shares, money on deposit and a good spread of assets, then maybe holding this watch as ‘one’ of his investments may prove worthwhile.

If not then I wouldn’t. I’d put it to use elsewhere. For example reducing a mortgage down or maybe buying a watch that he will actually wear, as let’s face it enjoying watches is why we are all on this site.

The real growth in the value of this watch has already happened in my opinion. It’s not a 116500 or a 5711.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    If he has stocks and shares, money on deposit and a good spread of assets, then maybe holding this watch as ‘one’ of his investments may prove worthwhile.

If not then I wouldn’t. I’d put it to use elsewhere. For example reducing a mortgage down or maybe buying a watch that he will actually wear, as let’s face it enjoying watches is why we are all on this site.

The real growth in the value of this watch has already happened in my opinion. It’s not a 116500 or a 5711.
    I don't know the background of a single person on this forum, but I would guess at least 50% have a mortgage, kids at uni etc, so they could all spend it elsewhere.

However most of us have nice watches, nice cars etc as well as the house so owning a GMT is nothing special in the overall scheme of things.

I would only ever sell a Rolex GMT if I really needed to money.

His best bet is to hang on to it.

Craftsman
    you have to keep it

Journeyman
    Glad to hear so many different opinions.
    I have no mortgage, a small stack of shares, some money in the bank, so not in the need of money.
    As said before, I will keep the watch...
    Allan

I wear my BLNR so much that I will probably soon be selling up my others.

Start wearing it.

Master
    Good man

Had you sold it you would have almost certainly have joined the ever growing list of wailers who are forever cursing the day they sold their Rolex.

People who flip nearly always regret it.

Blog Entries
    Good man

Had you sold it you would have almost certainly have joined the ever growing list of wailers who are forever cursing the day they sold their Rolex.

Can’t stand them myself

M

Master
    Good man

Sold mine don’t regret it, way too much bling, anyway op I’d sell while you can as the wind may change direction in the popularity of this watch sooner than we think

Grand Master
    Selling it, then buying a 16610 and a 16600 would make more sense to me, I think the values are more stable and this would safeguard against a BLNR bubble effect......we all know what happens to bubbles.

BLNR craze could pass when the next 'must have' comes along, that's why I think the values are at a peak.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well, sort of; but middle-aged men tend to yearn for stuff they wanted as teenagers, but couldn't afford. And that changes with each generation. If teenagers today don't want luxury watches, they certainly won't seek them out when middle aged. So the future of luxury watches cannot be assumed.
    True to a degree, but people's tastes and desires change all of the time. As a teenager I didn't want any watch, how things change though.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I wear my BLNR so much that I will probably soon be selling up my others.

Start wearing it.
    +1 It’s certainly not too Blingy

Craftsman
    I've come to the conclusion that while I wear the BLNR a lot, even now as I write this, that the hankering for a VC Overseas as a do it all watch is where I want to go. I'm going to take a bit of a punt and see what happens at the next Basel before letting it go and a bunch of other stuff. The temptation to go all in and sell tomorrow is sorely tempting but to watch the GMT line up potentially change at Basel and the value go up means I'd be missing out on frankly, money for the wedding fund!

Then again, the value might go down. Who knows! The future wife will just have to have a wedding in a pub instead :D

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Selling it, then buying a 16610 and a 16600 would make more sense to me, I think the values are more stable and this would safeguard against a BLNR bubble effect......we all know what happens to bubbles.

BLNR craze could pass when the next 'must have' comes along, that's why I think the values are at a peak.
    I’m struggling to think of a “bubble” steel sports Rolex that has all of a sudden lost value. Care to elaborate?

Master
    I’m struggling to think of a “bubble” steel sports Rolex that has all of a sudden lost value. Care to elaborate?
    I read it as suggesting prices have peaked and so may currently be plateauing - which is often a prelude to falls.

Master
    How about brushing centre links (someone on the forum has done it o believe) or putting on a rubber strap? Try something different maybe you’ll fall in love with it again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    How about brushing centre links (someone on the forum has done it o believe) or putting on a rubber strap? Try something different maybe you’ll fall in love with it again
    I wouldn't do that. If he does want to sell it eventually, then modifying in this way has just devalued the watch. I would buy a modified £200 Seiko, but never a watch of this value.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I read it as suggesting prices have peaked and so may currently be plateauing - which is often a prelude to falls.
    I fail to see how such an assumption can be made. Prices are as likely to continue to rise as they are to plateau.

Master
    This is what walkerwek1958 said:

... this would safeguard against a BLNR bubble effect......we all know what happens to bubbles.

I fail to see how such an assumption can be made. Prices are as likely to continue to rise as they are to plateau.

It is, as you say, an assumption - as is the view that prices will continue to rise. An assumption about the future will ultimately be proved right or wrong. I was only giving my interpretation of what walkerwek1958 said in his original post (above).

I'm not sure what will happen to prices but I do think there is an element of "greater fool" buying going on (as with technology stocks in the late 90's and Bitcoin more recently). People are buying, as investments, mass manufactured watches with limited "integral" value and the only reason for doing that is if they think someone will pay more for it some time in the future.

Craftsman
    keep it if you dont need the money from a sale

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    This is what walkerwek1958 said:

It is, as you say, an assumption - as is the view that prices will continue to rise. An assumption about the future will ultimately be proved right or wrong. I was only giving my interpretation of what walkerwek1958 said in his original post (above).

I'm not sure what will happen to prices but I do think there is an element of "greater fool" buying going on (as with technology stocks in the late 90's and Bitcoin more recently). People are buying, as investments, mass manufactured watches with limited "integral" value and the only reason for doing that is if they think someone will pay more for it some time in the future.

thumbs up here

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch10 View Post
    thumbs up here
    It was well worth bumping of the thread with this valuable contribution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    I think a journey(man) to nowhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Wear in good health and HAGWE all

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a watch, not exactly rare. Wear it or pint it on for something else.

Craftsman
    If you hold on to it with the view to speculate on price that’s fair enough but I would still wear it in the mean time just for fun. As long as you are careful the watch will still demand a good price if worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk