closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New to the watch world - going for an Air-King!

Apprentice

New to the watch world - going for an Air-King!

Hi all, I found this forum after spending way too many hours researching the watch I want and finding loads of great information coming up again and again in the search results.

I'm new to the watch world (unless you count the Apple Watch and the Mickey Mouse one I had as a kid ), but always admired the simple, vintage Omegas and Rolex from afar hoping to one day get myself one.

Well I figured I might as well do it now. I originally thought I wanted a new Air-King until I looked at it so much it started to look a bit sporty and busy for my liking, and what I really liked was the Air-King writing.

So now I've decided to go for a silver Air-King 5500 (the plexiglass looks great!). Unfortunately most I've found so far are from sellers (on Chrono24) with less than perfect reputation or not in a good enough condition.

Can't wait to get it!

Apprentice
    I should add, being a complete rookie, I'd appreciate any tips on what to look out for!

I found a rather expensive NOS, boxed and papers from '87, for example. Are there any foreseeable issues?

Thanks all!

Master
    Have you checked out watchfinder?

Good luck with the hunt!

Explorer 1 is also an alternative !

Master
    Welcome.

The best advice is always buy the seller. If you hang around here for a while you’ll get a sense of the sellers that tend to be well-regarded.

Ultimately there’s no substitute for holding a few different 5500s in your hands before committing.

If cosmetic condition is important to you, it might be worth looking at a 14000 or 14010. You don’t get plexy of course. But mint condition 5500s are thin on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Miltons have a nice looking Air King Date 5700 model on their website - you’ll not go wrong dealing with them

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Miltons have a nice looking Air King Date 5700 model on their website - you’ll not go wrong dealing with them
    Thanks Nige, it looks very nice, although I've got my heart set on the 5500 - I love the simplicity!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Welcome.

Ultimately there’s no substitute for holding a few different 5500s in your hands before committing.
    Thanks Nick - despite being in London I haven't managed to locate any that I can go see! Lots in Germany and Italy on Chrono24 though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    Thanks Nick - despite being in London I haven't managed to locate any that I can go see! Lots in Germany and Italy on Chrono24 though.
    If you fancy a trip to the North there is a 1979 5500 at Parker’s in Sheffield (they’ll maybe arrange a London viewing) and a 1965 version at The Old Watch Shop in Southport (Mike Wood of this Parish) well respected on here also.

Hi all, I found this forum after spending way too many hours researching the watch I want and finding loads of great information coming up again and again in the search results.

I'm new to the watch world (unless you count the Apple Watch and the Mickey Mouse one I had as a kid ), but always admired the simple, vintage Omegas and Rolex from afar hoping to one day get myself one.

Well I figured I might as well do it now. I originally thought I wanted a new Air-King until I looked at it so much it started to look a bit sporty and busy for my liking, and what I really liked was the Air-King writing.

So now I've decided to go for a silver Air-King 5500 (the plexiglass looks great!). Unfortunately most I've found so far are from sellers (on Chrono24) with less than perfect reputation or not in a good enough condition.

Can't wait to get it!
    Have a look at hackettwatches.com. Dom’s a top man.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestjoh View Post
    Have a look at hackettwatches.com. Dom’s a top man.
    Thank you - they don't have the one I'm after but I've contacted them to see if they can source one. Much appreciated!

Rolex AD Lunn’s have one currently; not cheap but full service and they can overnight it.

https://www.lunns.com/pre~owned-watc...lex/0870500875

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Rolex AD Lunn’s have one currently; not cheap but full service and they can overnight it.

https://www.lunns.com/pre~owned-watc...lex/0870500875
    Thanks! Unfortunately the dial isn't quite right for me, I'm after stick markers (this dial: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/550...-id9816602.htm)

I really appreciate all of this help!

i love those old 5500s, such a pure simple classic. i wore one all through university, never took it off and thought it was all the watch i'd ever need until i discovered this place!
    wasn't sure about the newer air king at first but i've come to really appreciate the vintage aircraft dial look.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    i love those old 5500s, such a pure simple classic. i wore one all through university, never took it off and thought it was all the watch i'd ever need until i discovered this place!
    wasn't sure about the newer air king at first but i've come to really appreciate the vintage aircraft dial look.
    It really is a stunning watch. As much as I cannot wait to get one, I know I need to be a bit patient and get the right one!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's worth the wait!

I’ve had an Air King Date from new (1986) I wouldn’t part with it for the world!
    Quite rare and only sold in UK and Canada I believe (?)
    A good keeper if you can grow to love it!

Thanks! Unfortunately the dial isn't quite right for me, I'm after stick markers (this dial: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/550...-id9816602.htm)

I really appreciate all of this help!
    Lovely looking but at only 34mm it would look lost on my wrist. I’d definitely try before you buy.

I had an 86 and foolishly sold it to fund an Explorer 1. In hindsight, I prefer the Air King and should never have sold it. I never found it small, but I'm not a fashion victim.

Here's mine

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestjoh View Post
    Lovely looking but at only 34mm it would look lost on my wrist. I’d definitely try before you buy.
    Extremely good point, thanks! I have pretty small wrists so I'm hoping it will be good for me, but I'll try one on ASAP before I commit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I had an 86 and foolishly sold it to fund an Explorer 1. In hindsight, I prefer the Air King and should never have sold it. I never found it small, but I'm not a fashion victim.

Here's mine

Romeo y Julieta? Good taste ;)

i think the size thing is a matter of perception, it looks fine on this 6 ft well built chap

Apprentice
    Apart from the price, can anyone see any potential issue with this mint condition 5500? https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/air...-id9705225.htm

Another one I'm looking at which appears to be from a reputable seller in Germany is this: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/air...-id9081206.htm

I appreciate any feedback/insights!

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Have you checked out watchfinder?

Good luck with the hunt!

Explorer 1 is also an alternative !
    I second that! Explorer 1 is a perfect first Rolex!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Apart from the price, can anyone see any potential issue with this mint condition 5500? https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/air...-id9705225.htm

I appreciate any feedback/insights!
    The gap between lug and case seems quite big in photo 10, especially if you compare to photo 9
    Last edited by gaurav_tzuk; 17th December 2018 at 15:35.

Romeo y Julieta? Good taste ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post
    I second that! Explorer 1 is a perfect first Rolex
    Well, I'll just put this here then

Apprentice
    The gap between lug and case seems quite big in photo 10, especially if you compare to photo 9
    Thanks for taking a look!

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this indicate?

Master
    Thanks for taking a look!

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this indicate?
    No idea just thought it looked a bit odd