closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1986/7 sub 5513 pricing question?

1986/7 sub 5513 pricing question?

I am seriously considering selling my no date sub as it's literally never worn but can't find anything similar on the net that isn't mind bogglingly expensive..
    I bought this from watches of Switzerland in Brighton (previously owned) in February 2017 they had just put it in the window and I snapped it up but just never really bonded with it.
    It has original box, papers and all that jazz (sold originally in 1987 but the calendar in the plastic case is 1986 when I imagine it was manufactured) plus it had just come back from the full Rolex UK spa treatment where bits were replaced (see invoice) but plots and hands are still a good match and really does look (imho) like a new watch as it should at that price!
    I took a bunch of good pics with my new phone camera but can't upload them so here's a couple of -more typical for me rubbish- ones taken with my old phone..
    Sorry about the fishing aspect of this post but I don't want to price it so high it doesn't sell and I don't want to price it so low that someone just snaps it up and sticks it straight on eBay, I'd rather it stayed in the TZ-UK community so to speak...and if I can't work out a sensible price then I just will sell something else.
    Once again please excuse the poor pics but then I'm not looking for crazy chrono24 figures just trying to get the ballpark price.
    Cheers
    Joe

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Hi joe
    What sort of money are you looking?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_a View Post
    Hi joe

He doesn't know, that's why he's asking the forum.

Sent from my Lenovo A1010a20 using Tapatalk

1986/7 sub 5513 pricing question?

You could maybe get back what you paid the dealer in a private sale? Not a great deal more, I wouldn’t have thought but it depends on what you originally paid wos

Maybe 6k if I was to guess

Good luck
    Last edited by Thom4711; 3rd January 2019 at 15:42.

Craftsman
    Luminova hands not matching tritium dial will affect price downwards. The recentish Rolex service is a good thing though and will have brought the watch back up to spec.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi joe

Hoovering up vintage subs in your first post Tony.

Classy.

Hi joe

Great introduction to the forum lovely welcome post just straight into trying to buy of people in the wrong area of the forum and not even on a misplaced sales thread... no the best start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    You could maybe get back what you paid the dealer in a private sale? Not a great deal more, I wouldn’t have thought but it depends on what you originally paid wos

Good luck
    Yeah the handset replacement is a Shame but the match is much better than my rotten pics suggest, 6k seems a bit low (never thought I'd say that about a simple no date plexiglass glass sub) especially as there appears to be none for sale at anywhere around that...
    Its really that rarity ( I remember back to the 80's and I or my mates wouldn't have considered buying a new 5513 as they hadn't had the sapphire crystal 'upgrade'): condition, plus boxes, paperwork and the (shockingly) expensive service -although I can't believe they paid that much WoS must surely have some claw back arrangement with Rolex-? Is what's making me so unsure of what to ask...
    Joe

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using TZ-UK mobile app

Try doubling that amount and you might be in the ballpark.

A full set from the 80s with recent service history - a rare beast these days.

Master
    I'm in the camp which values hand-written papers typically less than punched ones. While they may be correct in certain circumstances, buyers should be aware that a number of blank "pads" of such genuine papers exist. They were to be found at most or all main agents at one time.

If hand-written papers are supported by other documentation such as original receipts and so on then one can take a more optimistic view, but punched papers are less easily faked in my opinion. Buyers, I suggest, typically think similarly.

Service dial and hand-written papers? I think you should try a weaker brew, Ken!

H

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Try doubling that amount and you might be in the ballpark.

A full set from the 80s with recent service history - a rare beast these days.
    Wow, 12k these have really shot up! The papers must be worth nearly as much as the watch- I bought an 84 matte dial all original sub for 6.5 a month or so ago (serviced, but no papers). Surely 14060s with papers are worth a similar amount too?

I am not sure the glossy dial, gold surround models are as sought after as the matte dials, and the replacement hands and bezel on this one make it less appealing to some. Personally, I’m more interested in having a fully original watch than having the papers, but I know they are important to some.

Anyway, I am not an expert and was just guessing with my ‘valuation’, although I’d certainly not pay 12 grand for a no-date sub. I hope you are right though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    £12k for an applied marker 5513? Seems a lot? The lume direct on dial ones have shot up but these aren’t ‘that’ desirable are they?

Who was it who sold the sub on SC the other day for £4500? Was a full set he’d had from new and never really worn (old slim case not new). That has to have been the Best Buy of the year for whoever got that?

Anyway, I am not an expert and was just guessing with my ‘valuation’, although I’d certainly not pay 12 grand for a no-date sub. I hope you are right though!
    Ignore my post, I was clearly chatting s**t.

The waters tend to get muddied by the crazy prices that greedy dealers post on their websites

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    6k seems a bit low (never thought I'd say that about a simple no date plexiglass glass sub)
    Joe

Fair enough, Joe, I hesitated when guessing a valuation as I’m just a bloke on a forum and am no expert, but I thought it might be better than not hazarding a guess at all! Could easily be higher, but I suppose it’s balancing the fact it’s less sought after than matte dials but has all the lovely bonus features of service and paperwork.

Good luck, either way!

Btw, I don’t think it’ll be plexiglass if it’s from 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Ignore my post, I was clearly chatting s**t.

The waters tend to get muddied by the crazy prices that greedy dealers post on their websites
    I know what you mean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I bought a 16700 from a respected dealer in Madrid with B&P for £8K a couple of months ago.
    That was a 93 watch all original.
    It didn't have a Rolex service but didn't have service parts.
    I thought approx £7K for a private sale would be not far off on yours but there are plenty folks on here better placed to price it.
    I would want Tritium hands on it which can be about £500 for a decent set.

Master
    This unfortunately wouldn’t appeal to the vintage Rolex fanboys, still a very nice watch for everyday wear. As mentioned, replacement luminova hands and insert drags the price down. Vintage lovers really want the earlier matte dial examples but these are now getting hard to get hold of.
    Ken has definitely been on the Sherry with his 12k pricing, I would be inclined to cut that in half for anybody in the market for a very nice, serviced example with problems but I think it’s appeal could be limited.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    This unfortunately wouldn’t appeal to the vintage Rolex fanboys, still a very nice watch for everyday wear. As mentioned, replacement luminova hands and insert drags the price down. Vintage lovers really want the earlier matte dial examples but these are now getting hard to get hold of.
    Ken has definitely been on the Sherry with his 12k pricing, I would be inclined to cut that in half for anybody in the market for a very nice, serviced example with problems but I think it’s appeal could be limited.
    I think on here it will probably be seen honestly for what it is.
    If one of the main players puts it in their window at £9K and marks it as collectable then likely someone will bite

No sherry, just guilty of not studying the OP properly. Didn't realise it was Trigger's Broom.

In all honesty, I have seen full set 5513s for £11k to £12k odd, but they were probably okay and were listed on sites like WF and watches.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    +1

Bracelet isn't tip top and the service clasp won't aid the value unfortunately.

Master
    I have a later model version of this which I treasure, but the increasing value has put me off wearing it as a daily. I paid about a £1k premium at the time for a 5513 full set over a 14060 watch only, only a year apart in manufacture (wish I'd kept the 14060 too!). This was just over 6 years ago. I suspect the gap would be a bit wider now but as a watch ages, condition is every more important. While the Rolex service adds something, the replacement hands take something away. I wouldn't be too concerned about a replacement bezel insert on this age of watch and it's good it still has the tritium dial which is ageing nicely. I have seen one for sale recently at just under £11k at a dealer, but think that optimistic. I'm no expert, but have tried to keep some track of the value of mine for insurance purposes and I'd hazard a guess at valuing yours somewhere between £6k and £7.5k, but likely closer to the lower end. This being based on what a 14060 might go for with a premium on top for for plexi as I was happy to do at the time of buying mine.

I'd certainly be interested to hear what you do get for it if it sells.

Ant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    I have a later model version of this which I treasure, but the increasing value has put me off wearing it as a daily. I paid about a £1k premium at the time for a 5513 full set over a 14060 watch only, only a year apart in manufacture (wish I'd kept the 14060 too!). This was just over 6 years ago. I suspect the gap would be a bit wider now but as a watch ages, condition is every more important. While the Rolex service adds something, the replacement hands take something away. I wouldn't be too concerned about a replacement bezel insert on this age of watch and it's good it still has the tritium dial which is ageing nicely. I have seen one for sale recently at just under £11k at a dealer, but think that optimistic. I'm no expert, but have tried to keep some track of the value of mine for insurance purposes and I'd hazard a guess at valuing yours somewhere between £6k and £7.5k, but likely closer to the lower end. This being based on what a 14060 might go for with a premium on top for for plexi as I was happy to do at the time of buying mine.

I'd certainly be interested to hear what you do get for it if it sells.

Ant
    Have you looked on Chrono24? One here for £8000 at a dealers that's more original than yours, with a stretched bracelet and without box/papers: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/rol...-id9701410.htm

You could use this to help adjust for the private-sale value of yours, still arriving within the range I suggested.

Ant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I'm in the camp which values hand-written papers typically less than punched ones. While they may be correct in certain circumstances, buyers should be aware that a number of blank "pads" of such genuine papers exist. They were to be found at most or all main agents at one time.

If hand-written papers are supported by other documentation such as original receipts and so on then one can take a more optimistic view, but punched papers are less easily faked in my opinion. Buyers, I suggest, typically think similarly.

Service dial and hand-written papers? I think you should try a weaker brew, Ken!

H
    Haywood

Producing punched papers is genuinely a piece of cake for a spurious printer and is no indication of validity. DVLA thought elliptical punched holes in their licence disc made life difficult for fakers, it did for about 9 months before fakes were being produced compete with water marks and perforations etc.

Golden rule is simple - just assume any old papers are fake because getting them made to order is easy. I accept that papers push the price up and that punched papers and foiled ones are more likely to be genuine, but all that proves is the watch buyers are very very trusting and naïve.

It really does amaze me that buyers sweat over the fact they could be buying a fake watch but breathe a sigh of relief when they see a set of papers, more so when you realise that making a fake watch to fool someone is fairly difficult but printing fake replica papers is relatively easy and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

It really does amaze me that buyers sweat over the fact they could be buying a fake watch but breathe a sigh of relief when they see a set of papers, more so when you realise that making a fake watch to fool someone is fairly difficult but printing fake replica papers is relatively easy and cheap.
    It's all a game Mick. Dealers with papers can ask more, punters think they are getting something so are willing to stump up more.

Dealers are like bookmakers, you will rarely meet a poor one

Master
    It would appear to be between £6K and £12K.

More seriously, if bought in 2017 from a dealer (relatively recently) and had £1300 spent on it then surely the OP can come up with an asking price ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    It would appear to be between £6K and £12K.

More seriously, if bought in 2017 from a dealer (relatively recently) and had £1300 spent on it then surely the OP can come up with an asking price ?
    Actually WoS had the servicing done and factored the cost into the price.
    In the time I've owned it prices for some sports models seem to have gone up, up, up: sooo I am -thanks to the kind replies on this thread- coming to a conclusion re pricing and will list it shortly.
    Cheers
    Joe

I have to work out how to use my new camera to get some proper snaps (or resize them), hope to get outside tomorrow for some 'Shalako stlylee' top of the fence photo opportunities.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Interesting thread, I recently purchased a very nice all original 14060 from Mike Wood, it has its tritium dial, hands, bezel, lightly polished case by RSC and every possible extra that comes as a full set including purchase receipt, RSC service receipt, sealed anchor and even the original AD's bag the first owner took the watch home in!!

But.. whats important really is the watch, Ken has said in the past you cannot wear the box and papers which is so true but the fact is they do add value and it was pleasing to see all the correct papers and bits, yes it cost me more than a watch only would but as time goes by the full set will also increase in value while I enjoy the watch.

If this 5513 was mine I would add original tritium hands and possibly the bezel, yes it will set you back a few quid but will more than make up for that as a complete watch and any resale.

I think it is a fantastic looking watch from a great time in my life the mid to late 80's, how you have not bonded with it I dont know as it must look so good on the wrist..

Oh, maybe Photoshop out the serial number so no one does anything dodgy with it
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 3rd January 2019 at 20:45.

Master
    Excellent - my guess would be a little under the halfway mark between £6 and £12K
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    Actually WoS had the servicing done and factored the cost into the price.
    In the time I've owned it prices for some sports models seem to have gone up, up, up: sooo I am -thanks to the kind replies on this thread- coming to a conclusion re pricing and will list it shortly.
    Cheers
    Joe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Haywood

Producing punched papers is genuinely a piece of cake for a spurious printer and is no indication of validity. DVLA thought elliptical punched holes in their licence disc made life difficult for fakers, it did for about 9 months before fakes were being produced compete with water marks and perforations etc.

Golden rule is simple - just assume any old papers are fake because getting them made to order is easy. I accept that papers push the price up and that punched papers and foiled ones are more likely to be genuine, but all that proves is the watch buyers are very very trusting and naïve.

At no point did I link papers with the authenticity of the watch...

Blah blah punched papers blah blah fake blah.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Tea sprayed.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk