closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spending Virgin Miles

Spending Virgin Miles

Received an email from virgin stating my miles are about to expire, not wanting them to just disappear has anyone actually managed to spend these and gain something tangible. Eg Emirates you could spend them with Links of London so got my misses some nice bits and pieces.

Other than virgin wine, cant seem to find any way of converting these into anything remotely interesting.

Not bothered about experience days or spa days, or even flights abroad as I travel to much anyway.

Any ideas welcomed

Do some Googling, you may be able to sell them. I used the Points King to get rid of a bunch of Qantas miles I had no use for and was surprised at how much they were worth and how easy it all was.

I did wine with mine as nothing else was of interest.

I did end up with a lot of champagne....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw that, nice bottle of Dom?

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Do some Googling, you may be able to sell them. I used the Points King to get rid of a bunch of Qantas miles I had no use for and was surprised at how much they were worth and how easy it all was.
    I’ll have a look at this now , thanks for the heads up

Master
    Are these the airmiles? If so and you have/get the cc if you spend on it they last for 3 years after your last transaction.

I’ve flown on airmiles a lot of times and find the benefits very good.

You can transfer or gift them to someone but it costs money and not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Are these the airmiles? If so and you have/get the cc if you spend on it they last for 3 years after your last transaction.

I’ve flown on airmiles a lot of times and find the benefits very good.

You can transfer or gift them to someone but it costs money and not worth it.
    Yes, these are the air miles, so if I apply for a virgin CC they transfer to that account and stay active if I make a spec on that card right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Yes, these are the air miles, so if I apply for a virgin CC they transfer to that account and stay active if I make a spec on that card right?
    Yes that’s right. There’s two cards, a free one that gives you 0.75 miles per £ and a pay one which is £160 a year but gives you 1 1/2 airmiles per £ spend. I spend a silly amount of money on mine per annum (all work transactions as well as personal stuff and if any family are making large purchases I put them on my card) and get some amazing flights. Upper class 4k flight for £430 for example.

Takes a while to build up but well worth it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Yes that’s right. There’s two cards, a free one that gives you 0.75 miles per £ and a pay one which is £160 a year but gives you 1 1/2 airmiles per £ spend. I spend a silly amount of money on mine per annum (all work transactions as well as personal stuff and if any family are making large purchases I put them on my card) and get some amazing flights. Upper class 4k flight for £430 for example.

Takes a while to build up but well worth it imo.
    Ah right, only thing is I don’t need another CC, have that covered to be fair... maybe wine is the only way to go? Be alright if I could use them on virgin trains ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    I’ll have a look at this now , thanks for the heads up
    PM me if you wish to discuss further, depending on how many points you have accumulated you may be surprised at their worth. Its a better use of them than buying something at highly inflated prices that you may have little need for.

Craftsman
    I usually convert mine to Hilton points and use those for a yearly holiday somewhere nice. 7 nights in a Hilton in somewhere nice can be worth $2000 or more. The conversion rate used to be quite generous so for a few years it was the best thing to do with them. I think they figured that out and reduced the rate, its still pretty good though and nothing more useful to me. Im down to my last 200,000 miles now. I used to run up loads with 6-8 business class long haul flights per year in previous job, but its tailed off now Ive changed jobs.

I think over 15 years of collecting them, i managed to spend twice on upgrades to premium or upper class on long haul trips, and once got a pair of upper class tickets to Cape Town for a holiday. It was surprising difficult to spend them on flight upgrades, unless you were happy to go somewhere obscure and off season.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post
    I usually convert mine to Hilton points and use those for a yearly holiday somewhere nice. 7 nights in a Hilton in somewhere nice can be worth $2000 or more. The conversion rate used to be quite generous so for a few years it was the best thing to do with them. I think they figured that out and reduced the rate, its still pretty good though and nothing more useful to me. Im down to my last 200,000 miles now. I used to run up loads with 6-8 business class long haul flights per year in previous job, but its tailed off now Ive changed jobs.

I think over 15 years of collecting them, i managed to spend twice on upgrades to premium or upper class on long haul trips, and once got a pair of upper class tickets to Cape Town for a holiday. It was surprising difficult to spend them on flight upgrades, unless you were happy to go somewhere obscure and off season.
    That’s what I’m discovering, I’m thinking there’s going to be a few bottles of wine getting ordered, make great Xmas and birthday gifts at least

Master
    If you want to keep them going for another 3 years buy 1000 Air miles for £15+£15 fee so £30 overall. Worth it if you have a fair few you want to keep going and have nothing else to spend (waste) them on