closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Speedy prices!!!

Vintage Speedy prices!!!

Forgive me,I dont really take much notice of watch prices but bored like you do sometimes, I was looking at the values of vintage speedies, I favour the 69 to 74 period ones, and the stepped dial is a must.Jesus! these have become expensive ,some rough ones for around the 4k mark!! It does make me think and I wish I had held onto some of the ones I let go so I could sample other brands....where will it all end?

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Forgive me,I dont really take much notice of watch prices but bored like you do sometimes, I was looking at the values of vintage speedies, I favour the 69 to 74 period ones, and the stepped dial is a must.Jesus! these have become expensive ,some rough ones for around the 4k mark!! It does make me think and I wish I had held onto some of the ones I let go so I could sample other brands....where will it all end?
    Not bothering with them, that's where.

Complete madness reigns, pre moons 5, 6, 7k, 68 transitionals even more. As for Ed White's, a couple of years ago 3.5k now, 10k minimum and keep going north. Even flat dial 70/80s ones 3 to 4.
    I too wish I'd kept the ones l've had, but if me auntie had bollo.......etc.
    Luckily, I kept my 65 Ed, minter 66 & big logo caseback 69. Never see them though as they are in a vault!

ALL the vintage speedy fun now departed, £800 eBay jobs a fading memory. Leave it for the 'investors' to hoover em all up & see where they end up once the party's over.

Apprentice
    ...and with Omega remanufacturing the Cal 321 it will carry on for a while. Strange that they replaced the 321 with the "improved" 861/1861 only to get all nostalgic in the run up to the 50th Anniversary moon landing... or am i being cynical?

After all it is only a re-badged Lemania (duck)!

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Not bothering with them, that's where.

Complete madness reigns, pre moons 5, 6, 7k, 68 transitionals even more. As for Ed White's, a couple of years ago 3.5k now, 10k minimum and keep going north. Even flat dial 70/80s ones 3 to 4.
    I too wish I'd kept the ones l've had, but if me auntie had bollo.......etc.
    Luckily, I kept my 65 Ed, minter 66 & big logo caseback 69. Never see them though as they are in a vault!

ALL the vintage speedy fun now departed, £800 eBay jobs a fading memory. Leave it for the 'investors' to hoover em all up & see where they end up once the party's over.

That’s the bloody problem now. Watches are for wearing yet the stupid prices are just guaranteeing they never see the light of day. Killed my passion for Vintage Rolex, Omega etc. Just wish this bubble would burst and we can get back to wearing these beautiful older timepieces. Bit sad really.

A vintage Speedy was the first proper watch I ever bought. It should have been the last too but in the folly of youth I wanted to try other watches...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I’ll never understand the fuss over vintage Speedys, the vintage ones don’t have enough difference from the recent ones tojustify the hype. the old Rolex Subs with acrylic crystals have a different look and feel to the more modern ones but this doesn’t apply to Speedys........or if it does I can’t see it! The older ones just look scuffier, yet that seems to get people excited for some reason.

If a virtually unworn 60s Speedy turned up in a drawer the afcionados wouldn’t want it.......not scruffy enough!

I’m convinced people have become conditioned to think this way based on what they’re read, it’s like a snowball rolling down a hill. Kings new clothes syndrome.

Master
    So has the upwardly spiralling value of vintage speed masters also dragged up the value of later models?
    I have a 2005 model, I’m not looking to sell it and I wear it quite often but is it worth more than I think?

Paul,you have gotta love a stepped dial,the standard is so boring

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    So has the upwardly spiralling value of vintage speed masters also dragged up the value of later models?
    I have a 2005 model, I’m not looking to sell it and I wear it quite often but is it worth more than I think?
    I think the cut off is the switch over from Tritium to Luminova. People want the older Tritium dials, especially if they have mellowed. The Luminova ones are all very similar, so not much to get excited about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think the cut off is the switch over from Tritium to Luminova. People want the older Tritium dials, especially if they have mellowed. The Luminova ones are all very similar, so not much to get excited about.
    Oh well at least I can carry on wearing it (which is why I bought it in the first place) without worrying too much about its value.

My 74 step dial says hi!!
    Bought from this forum in Oct17 for £2250 after being fully serviced, it’s nice to know it’s worth a few quid more..

Apprentice
    I’m seriously thinking of buying a speedy, but in my case it will be a new one.. mint condition and relatively affordable. I do favor the hessalite version because it has a somewhat more vintage look..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

The one on the left is a 321 Speedy and ignoring it for now, the two in the middle are Speedies available for between £1.5k and £2k and the one on the right recently cost me a smidge over £2k. The price of Speedy Pros has pulled up everything else with it, especially the Mk2, but they're still available for a decent price. If you think of the Mk2 as the watch Omega designed to the requirements of NASA for their astronauts but never used then you're looking at a really interesting watch that's frankly seriously undervalued compared to what it would be worth if it said 'Heuer' on the dial. To put it another way I think it sells for much less than it should purely because it isn't a Speedy Pro. And if you want a 1960s Speedy Pro with racing dial you're going to be looking at £40k upwards.

"A man of little significance"

That's a really cool collection of the evolution of Speedmasters in Space!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    That's a really cool collection of the evolution of Speedmasters in Space!

Thank you! A few holes. Until last week (when I sold my Marine Chronometer) I had a really nice lineup of Speedy Pro (space watch and shape), Marine Chronometer (quartz pioneer) and Time Computer (digital) with the X33 Skywalker the sum of all three. The shape and space credentials (albeit without - yet - a moon landing) of the Speedy Pro and the combination of quartz and digital from the other two.

I really rate the Skywalker, the pusher guards make the case width look wide on paper but it's really not plus it's titanium, glows at night (and you can backlight the digital display to see the time there too), has loads of functions, is waterproof to normal daily or holiday use and it's very comfortable. Very underrated, well, apart from those of us who own them who tend to bang on about them!

This is a vintage Speedy thread though, so I'll stop all that.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post

I'm not speaking strictly about the moonwatch itself now, but I think it's the other way round to an extent.

It was around 2014 I think when Omega introduced the 'XXXX side of the moon' versions with a much higher ticket price than perhaps people were used to seeing on an Omega. The older models, and less popular LE's in particular suddenly seemed a bit of a bargain at £2.5k - £3k, and I think this disparity helped to drag up the values of these previously less popular Speedmaster versions.

I actually saw it coming at the time, as I was looking to sell my own Alaska Project and had a feeling I'd live to regret it - not purely from a financial POV; but I think this was a sort of tipping point as well - it was no longer such an easy thing to flip a watch in the certainty you could always buy it back again if you missed it. And let's be honest, that thrill of the chase coupled with the 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' effect is the reason why so many of us have owned more than one version of the same watch over the years.

I actually resent the fact it's turned what was purely a hobby for me into something more financially linked. I'm firmly not a collector and certainly not an investor - I only want to own watches that I actually wear. Previously when buying there were no considerations aside of 'can I afford it?' and 'can I move it on again easily if I don't like it?'. However I now have one or two watches that are following the upward trend, and although I decided a while ago they're not really for me, I'd be a fool to part with them at this point in time. This has taken a lot of the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    The one on the left is a 321 Speedy and ignoring it for now, the two in the middle are Speedies available for between £1.5k and £2k and the one on the right recently cost me a smidge over £2k. The price of Speedy Pros has pulled up everything else with it, especially the Mk2, but they're still available for a decent price. If you think of the Mk2 as the watch Omega designed to the requirements of NASA for their astronauts but never used then you're looking at a really interesting watch that's frankly seriously undervalued compared to what it would be worth if it said 'Heuer' on the dial. To put it another way I think it sells for much less than it should purely because it isn't a Speedy Pro. And if you want a 1960s Speedy Pro with racing dial you're going to be looking at £40k upwards.

The MkII Racing is one of the itches I've had longest yet still failed to scratch. I've been looking again recently actually, but not seen anything as low as your estimates above.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 15th January 2019 at 11:34.