closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacement for iPod Classic 160gb

Replacement for iPod Classic 160gb

I was robbed yesterday in London. I'm unhurt, but I need to put together a claim.

I know most people have their music on their phones these days, but I had my old iPod upgraded to a 256gb solid state drive & it was almost full.

So the question is what to replace it with?

Criteria:-
    Large capacity - at last 250GB
    Decent audio quality
    Compatible with my iTunes library
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I was robbed yesterday in London. I'm unhurt, but I need to put together a claim.

I know most people have their music on their phones these days, but I had my old iPod upgraded to a 256gb solid state drive & it was almost full.

So the question is what to replace it with?

Criteria:-
    Large capacity - at last 250GB
    Decent audio quality
    Compatible with my iTunes library
    Sorry to hear that Andy - terrible but glad to hear your ok
    Sounds obvious but a SH ipod then covert it-

I know this is a 'Teach your grandmother... etc' suggestion, but please remember to change all your passwords, inc your Apple one.

Hi Andy, sorry to hear you were mugged and glad you're okay.

I use a Sony NW-A35 at work which I believe has now been superseded by the NW-A45. Great battery life, supports hi-res files, excellent audio and expandable via a micro SD card up to 2TB. Supports apple lossless and transfer is a simple drag and drop onto your SD card.

Cheers,
    Gary

I too use a DAP instead of my phone and can recommend this one, a Shanling M0.

Most importantly, it sounds great. It plays hi-res files, and can use LDAC and aptX. It takes SD cards, up to at least 256GB. It supports a lot of audio formats, certainly Apple's.

It won't integrate directly with iTunes, if that's what you're looking for, but you'd be able to copy all the songs from iTunes onto the player's SD card.

Master
    You can buy already converted ones on eBay. Use this to drive your claim if more expensive than other options.
    I’m not aware of anything non Apple that would fit the bill. If they got you phone too would a large capacity iphone cover both roles and allow for cloud access for growth?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iPod-clas...YAAOSwipxbcib2

Sorry to hear that, Andy.

I use a FiiO X5, which takes a pair of microSD cards, so can currently go up to around 1Tb if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    You can buy already converted ones on eBay. Use this to drive your claim if more expensive than other options.
    I’m not aware of anything non Apple that would fit the bill. If they got you phone too would a large capacity iphone cover both roles and allow for cloud access for growth?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iPod-clas...YAAOSwipxbcib2
    I’m also a big fan of the SSD converted iPod. Both of mine came from eBay sellers with practically everything new apart from the “guts”. I’d go that route.

Master
    Also meant to add.

Glad you’ve come through this unscathed.

I think some of these vendors offer 512Gb and above might be worth asking if there’s a deal to be had.

Master
    I did one myself not so long ago(just for the fun) pretty simple
    I used SD cards

- - - Updated - - -

I did one myself not so long ago(just for the fun) pretty simple
    I used SD cards

Thanks gents. I won't bore you with the details, but I wasn't mugged - just had my bag (and Brompton bike) stolen.

I'll be going for one of those converted iPods as that should be much easier in terms of my insurance claim.
    Last edited by andy tims; 25th January 2019 at 17:37.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Andy,

I’ve got a 5th generation one that’s been sitting in a drawer for I don’t know how long.

Only 30gb but if you are going to change to SSD then shouldn’t be an issue.

Happy to throw it in the post for you if it’s something you would use / get use out of.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Andy,

I’ve got a 5th generation one that’s been sitting in a drawer for I don’t know how long.

Happy to throw it in the post for you if it’s something you would use / get use out of.

Matt

It needs to be the 160Gb version to expand to 256Gb and beyond.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It needs to be the 160Gb version to expand to 256Gb and beyond.
    Ah never knew that, thanks.

Available still if you want it as a stop gap, Andy.

Master
    SanDisk clip with SD card?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    SanDisk clip with SD card?
    I've got some version of the Sandisk Clip and it's great but I don't know how it rates with audiophiles. I'd be very interested to hear.

I had a look out of interest and 'What hifi' gives 5 stars to the Cowon Plenue D (a v2 has just been launched). It's under £200 and, in fact, I got an email this morning from one retailer selling it for £169 (presumably making way for the v2 stock).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I've got some version of the Sandisk Clip and it's great but I don't know how it rates with audiophiles. I'd be very interested to hear.

I had a look out of interest and 'What hifi' gives 5 stars to the Cowon Plenue D (a v2 has just been launched). It's under £200 and, in fact, I got an email this morning from one retailer selling it for £169 (presumably making way for the v2 stock).
    I've had a couple versions of the clip and it's great. I use with a fiio headphone amp which has certainly improved what comes out of it no end. Sound wise, i definitely think it's better than the ipod classic I own.

Battery lasts forever and expandable storage, great little thing for the cost.

I also put Roxcich is certainly worth looking at.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    I've had a couple versions of the clip and it's great. I use with a fiio headphone amp which has certainly improved what comes out of it no end. Sound wise, i definitely think it's better than the ipod classic I own.

Battery lasts forever and expandable storage, great little thing for the cost.

I also put Roxcich is certainly worth looking at.
    Did you mean Rockbox? Bit nervous about trying that as I was assuming it’s irreversible. Didn’t realise the Clip plays FLAC - but limit seems to be 32Gb microSD (unless you install Rockbox).

Did you mean Rockbox? Bit nervous about trying that as I was assuming it’s irreversible.
    I have Rockbox on my Clip. It's very easy to remove - basically you just connect the Clip to a PC and delete the appropriate files. You can also boot into the Sansa firmware using a combination of buttons (it's been a while so I can't remember exactly which) even when Rockbox is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Andy,

Matt

Thanks very much for the offer
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Thanks for that. I’ll have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I have Rockbox on my Clip. It's very easy to remove - basically you just connect the Clip to a PC and delete the appropriate files. You can also boot into the Sansa firmware using a combination of buttons (it's been a while so I can't remember exactly which) even when Rockbox is installed.

Master

Whoops! Seemed to have "bricked" my Clip+!! Assume it's now defunct?

Whoops! Seemed to have "bricked" my Clip+!! Assume it's now defunct?
    Have you looked at the advice here: https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-...al/td-p/306141

It should be recoverable. If you don't have any joy, then if you're willing to post it to me I'm happy to try to resurrect it (it's been a while since I played with Rockbox, so I'm a bit rusty on what exactly needs to be done).

Master
    Have you looked at the advice here: https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-...al/td-p/306141

It should be recoverable. If you don't have any joy, then if you're willing to post it to me I'm happy to try to resurrect it (it's been a while since I played with Rockbox, so I'm a bit rusty on what exactly needs to be done).

That’s very kind indeed! I’ll have a look at the link and see if I can get anywhere.

I think I committed the cardinal sin of not demounting before disconnecting from the PC. I’m usually very careful with that.