Why so many Tudor gmt for sale

Is it not the watch you thought it would be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Too thick and top heavy...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    This. I bet a lot of folk bought hoping it would go up in value a great deal without trying one on. Reality is it’s a big old watch. Maybe too big for many.

I think it's a great watch but demand hasn't outstripped supply and all those who thought they may make a quick buck are now dumping before they get burnt too badly. That's my take on it anyway - I could just as easily be wrong...

Master
    I think that what is surprising, (well maybe not), is that new Tudor SS "Divers" are quickly falling in price when hitting the used market - some, well one or two, are hard to get and sell at a small premium until they become readily available, but once they are out in the market quite significant price reductions are being seen for used models - very good watches, and we are told, of course that Tudor is Rolex ....... but not at all when it comes to used prices.

The Tudor range has increased in the last few years, and they have produced lots of (colour) variations on the SS Diver.......... almost becoming a "swatch" type Brand??

Other Tudor models can even be purchased new at a discount

Rolex is Rolex, but Tudor isn't

Craftsman
    I don't have the biggest wrists (17.5cm) but find it fits really nicely. It's a gorgeous watch although clearly not for everyone. Agree with above though - lots of speculators bought, which fuelled waiting lists, which fuelled more buzz, which led to more speculators... There is a bubble that is clearly bursting. These were going for £4k+ in some places, which is crazy really. If you bought one with a profit in mind , now is the time to release it before prices plunge - when Baselworld rolls around I am sure this model will go very cold in terms of wider interest.

John

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

There are bound to be a few for sale. Demand is still ahead of supply, they aren't in shop stock. QED. But, it is Baselworld soon and there are bound to be some more fickle owners that want to move on, as they will have their eye on the next releases, and the GMT used price will inevitably fall a little if there are good new releases to be had. For me it is every bit the watch i hoped and knew it would be, so i will not be selling.
    Dave

Master
    I think people get caught up in the Rolex connection and go a bit hysterical rushing to get on lists and buy without viewing thinking they will only be producing 1 a month so worst case they'll break even.

The only modern Tudor that has appreciated is the bbn ETA which I think compounds a few folks view that they will all appreciate. In reality they probably depreciate at a similar rate to comparatively priced watches. Don't forget Rolex are a fair bit more expensive.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Is this not par for the course for a hot new, headline grabbing model? Announced, buzz buzz buzz, demand, excitement when shipped, then ... oh bother, not what I wanted actually, ....

Let's not forget the sizeable proportion that have had to have (in some cases multiple) warranty repairs to fix the date change issue. That has the double impact of some owners wanting rid, and many potential buyers sitting the whole débâcle out.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    It’s just a mainstream watch, just like a Tag Heuer, Breitling and Omega where they are available almost everywhere depreciate

Craftsman
    For me it’s purely a personal finances thing, a new watch bought in so one that won’t be worn must go so I don’t have too much money tied up in watches.

But overall yes I believe there is a bigger picture with things like supply & demand, the Rolex Pepsi thing, waiting lists and people looking for a fast buck - all of which is a shame.

Apprentice
    I am not sure if there are 'so many' Tudor GMTs for sale. Quite a few have been bought and some have shown up on sales corners on various flora. Not having access to sales corner here, hard for me to know how many have sold here. Someone might want to check. Regardless, it is about supply and demand and nothing inherent about the brand or the model. It is not as hard to obtain nor as 'desirable' as the popular
    Rolex sports modes. So it would be meaningless to compare that with Rolex.

I think lots of new models are ordered in advance by collectors who then realise it's not what they want and sell them on. There are going to be a few people who can't get their hands on (or afford) a Rolex GMT and the Tudor is a genuine alternative, but ultimately not a Rolex. And there will be speculators looking for a quick buck.

It's a frustrating watch for me, I'd really like one (I've had a couple of vintage Tudors and a Heritage Chrono in the past) but some of the details are wrong for me. It's very close to being a perfect watch and I suspect had I ordered one I'd have sold it on fairly quickly. I'm keeping an eye on what they bring out next because Tudor are definitely going in the right direction.
    "A man of little significance"

What I've found pleasantly surprising about the Tudors appearing on SC is that they haven't all been unworn and stickered up. People do seem to be wearing them first, indicating they weren't bought (at least here) purely for speculation.

Ever since the BB came out I wanted to try one on, and within a few months of release a local jeweller had them in stock. The moment I tried one on my wrist, I knew it wasn’t for me - the case is just so slab sided and inelegant compared to the fantastic front-on view. I’ve never even considered one no matter how many colours are produced tbh - the case profile just put me right off. I never see photos reflecting this, and maybe it’s just me - but there’s something just a bit ‘off’ about the design for me

They’re very bulky, as are all the BB’s bar the 58. Just not very... I don’t know, refined.

Master
    The Date issue puts me off that is for sure.

I know of a few people who have had the issue, returned the watch to Tudor, had the watch returned as repaired only to have the issue again, received a replacement watch and have the date issue happen on the replacement!

Master
    I just think they look far too bulky. I wouldn't want one even as a gift.

Master
    There were a few threads on here from people wondering what Tudor to buy as an investment or to hand on to their grandchildren as treasured heirlooms - utter madness, proper tulip-mania but without any evidence of the price even going up, before buying into the non-existent bubble in readily available mass produced goods. The assumption was that they would one day be just the same as the rarest vintage Rolex.

Clearly though in this case the glossy photos also played their part.

Master
    The pack closes in for the kill.

I've had mine for about 3 month and it's been fine. No date problem, keeps good time, I haven't got girly wrists so size no problem and it gets noticed. Certainly more than my Explorer which is quite a boring looking thing but understated is sometimes a good attribute. I've got no plans to move the GMT on itnf. In fact I'm thinking of selling the 36mm Tudor Sub I bought last year as that doesn't get much use.
    I don't understand the 'too bulky' comments, there are plenty of big hulking watches around that don't get all this criticism.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    This reason is why mine doesn’t get any wrist time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    There are bound to be a few for sale. Demand is still ahead of supply, they aren't in shop stock. QED. But, it is Baselworld soon and there are bound to be some more fickle owners that want to move on, as they will have their eye on the next releases, and the GMT used price will inevitably fall a little if there are good new releases to be had. For me it is every bit the watch i hoped and knew it would be, so i will not be selling.
    Dave
    What Dave said. I wear mine every day, its exactly what i hoped it would be (now the date's fixed) and takes the pressure off my GMT Master II.
    I mentioned somwhere above that there's a few of these on Chrono 24 and WF at up to £4k unworn so I'm sure these are speculators. Hope they catch a cold on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I see the Rolex, bling-merchant fanboys have descended on this thread like a pack of angry squirrels...

I'd be upset too if I was a Spurs fan.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'd be upset too if I was a Spurs fan.
    I often wear my oversized, too thick, simply awful, can’t give ‘em away, rubbish Tudor BB to Wembley😅

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I don't understand the 'too bulky' comments, there are plenty of big hulking watches around that don't get all this criticism.
    I understand it.
    Thick and slab sided which looks out of proportion. Its only 2.9mm thinner than a DeepSea which is 3mm wider, and thats disproportionately thick due to the WR.
    Last edited by verv; 5th February 2019 at 17:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I understand it.
    Thick and slab sided which looks out of proportion. Its only 2.9mm thinner than a DeepSea which is 3mm wider, and thats disproportionately thick due to the WR.
    Right, that's it, in the bin with it, piece of crap.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tad dramatic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    I see the Rolex, bling-merchant fanboys have descended on this thread like a pack of angry squirrels...
    Not guilty - of being a bling-merchant, Rolex fanboy, angry or a squirrel I hope! But I was surprised to see a few people assuming various Tudors would shoot up in value, and that's not intended as knocking the brand or criticising the watches. It's just that there are very few modern watches by any brand that I'd expect to increase in value. A few LEs and pricey pieces made in small numbers, but there are far too many of most things sloshing around the globe. Then again it's always hard to visualise modern watches as the treasured vintage watches of tomorrow. Perhaps they will be, but my gut feeling is that the conditions that made 60s watches feel romantic today will not apply to today's watches in 2069, perhaps because the current watches are already too knowingly retro.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Not guilty - of being a bling-merchant, Rolex fanboy, angry or a squirrel I hope! But I was surprised to see a few people assuming various Tudors would shoot up in value, and that's not intended as knocking the brand or criticising the watches. It's just that there are very few modern watches by any brand that I'd expect to increase in value. A few LEs and pricey pieces made in small numbers, but there are far too many of most things sloshing around the globe. Then again it's always hard to visualise modern watches as the treasured vintage watches of tomorrow. Perhaps they will be, but my gut feeling is that the conditions that made 60s watches feel romantic today will not apply to today's watches in 2069, perhaps because the current watches are already too knowingly retro.
    We might get some "BREXIT" models becoming collectable ?

Personally even though we think about values now and in the future the main priority should be do we like the watch and want to wear it ? i'm liking the look of a few of these Tudors on offer and to me they do seem pretty decent value and wearable without being "afraid" and hid in the back of a safe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    We might get some "BREXIT" models becoming collectable ?
    Some kind of Omega LE Brexit Speedmaster seems plausible. It could be made of tin and have no movement in it perhaps, but also be hard to source due to the empty shelves in the boutique.

I don't know much about the Tudor GMT but i was offered 10% discount on the BB58 last week in Goldsmiths so maybe Tudor are not as desirable as some people would like you to believe i.e. Tudor AD's!

I am not sure I recognise the application of phrases like "very bulky" "far too bulky" "so slab sided" when I look at mine.
    It is 14.55mm total thickness including crystal, which is not so unusual for a 200m WR watch. I grant you, in profile, the fronts of the lugs do not dip down very quickly, so there is more of the case at the ends, and less taper.
    But the case side is 7.22mm from the rear of the bezel to the edge of the rear chamfer. That is not massive, and in fact the crown (at 8mm diameter) is deeper than the case side.
    I know full well that I am not going to change any minds, but I do think the descriptions have been overstated.

Dave

Craftsman
    Picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and love it.
    Fits my wrist fine but then again I like bigger heavy watches, wouldn't have minded it being a few mm bigger.

Plus it does help as I bought mine to wear as a watch should be and not on the hope I may make a few quid!!!!

Second Tudor I have along with the blue Pelagos and I think the quality is spot on.

I also feel alot more comfortable walking around with them on the wrist (not at the same time!) than the obligatory Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I am not sure I recognise the application of phrases like "very bulky" "far too bulky" "so slab sided" when I look at mine.
    It is 14.55mm total thickness including crystal, which is not so unusual for a 200m WR watch ...

Dave
    Agreed that those comments are a little OTT but the sides are certainly a little slabby and the effect is certainly exaggerated by their being flat and highly polished.

I'm currently wearing a beautifully comfortable NTH Nacken, which is 11.5mm thick and 300m WR. There simply seems no need for Tudor or any number of other brands to produce such thick divers given that a slimmer watch will always be more comfortable.

This thread seems to have gone a bit off topic it was initially asked why so many Tudor GMT for sale it seems to be now what dont you like about the GMT.

In response to the question I have not seen that many for sale to be honest certainly not on SC or on other forums either. The ones on places like Chrono24 seems to be largely dealers selling at a profit. In short, I havent come across any more than any other new watch that had a large degree of interest appearing on the SC.

I’m a fussy bugger with watches. It’s not the thickness, it’s the proportions I don’t like. Nothing to do with the brand or Rolex at all. I really want to like it but I don’t. As for people selling them? I’m sure that some of the Rolex mania rubs off on new Tudor releases, when they become easily available and people realise it’s just a watch not the holy grail they have buyers remorse. The date issue wasn’t something I was aware of, that must annoy people on a premium priced product and just isn’t good enough really is it?

At one stage, this watch was in such short supply that people who were uncertain if they were interested in one in the medium-to-long term felt obliged to buy one when the chance arose. Naturally, a lot of those people, having made a decision as their own pace, will have then sold them on, worn but minty.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Tudor lacks the svelte lines and overall balance of the five digit Rolex GMT it seeks to emulate. If that is either a good or a bad thing, is a matter of taste.

Yes, the bulky thing is down to a matter of taste. I bought a 'Corgeut' knock-off of the BB to try it out before plumping for the real thing, and unfortunately I do think slab-sided is a fair description of the case style. I didn't end up buying a BB in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    At one stage, this watch was in such short supply that people who were uncertain if they were interested in one in the medium-to-long term felt obliged to buy one when the chance arose. Naturally, a lot of those people, having made a decision as their own pace, will have then sold them on, worn but minty.
    I agree with this. There were probably a few buyers that got on a waiting list and bought knowing that they could sell on for RRP if they didn’t fancy it. Now that the supply isn’t so limited, it doesn’t surprise me that there are a few pre-owned for sale.

I bought mine new last week. Absolutely love it. Proportions are spot on for me...it doesn’t wear much different to my 216570 Explorer 2. I love GMT watches but cant stand the ‘office GMT’ which I think is an awful design for a traveller. To me, the Rolex/Tudor GMTs are perfect.

What are the reasons for it being 14.5mm thick? This is the same as a MM300 which is a 300m solid case diver but still the case sides have been profiled.

Just don't understand why Tudor didn't keep to 11mm or less..

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    What are the reasons for it being 14.5mm thick? This is the same as a MM300 which is a 300m solid case diver but still the case sides have been profiled.

Just don't understand why Tudor didn't keep to 11mm or less..
    It may not need to be 14.5 mm thick but Tudor probably decided it had more buyers to gain by giving it height and heft than to lose. TZers may find it hard to believe but in real world the lovers of chunkier watches still out number people who like slimmer and smaller watches.

Craftsman
    I wore my BB GMT for four weeks straight after it came back from repair. I absolutely love the straight-on view as it were. This week I have put my AT 8500 back on and I am very much appreciating how much more comfortable it is than the BB GMT. Indeed, I found myself taking the GMT off a couple of times throughout the day to give my wrist a break, something I never do with the AT. If I end up selling the GMT (which isn't likely at the moment) it will be because of the sheer weight of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfun1 View Post
    It may not need to be 14.5 mm thick but Tudor probably decided it had more buyers to gain by giving it height and heft than to lose. TZers may find it hard to believe but in real world the lovers of chunkier watches still out number people who like slimmer and smaller watches.
    I am not so sure that is actually the case, surely something like a Casio must be the best selling reasonability priced watch with the Rolex DJ 36 being the best selling mid range world wide.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 6th February 2019 at 08:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfun1 View Post
    Most chunky watches purchased are normally fashion brands with a bit of bling and in the hundreds rather the thousands and these appeal to the masses.

The cost of the BB GMT dose not appeal to the masses and anyone spending this sort of money would/should probably try it on and really think about it before buying, hence the amount for sale, people have purchased pre order tried them on and found they are too beefy long term.

Im sure the movement is tucked well up inside the case as it is 6.5mm thick so a nigh on 15mm thick case is OTT in my opinion, I'm not happy about it as I genuinely love the look of this watch, the riveted bracelet and overall quality but at 15mm its a bit chunky for my wrist unfortunately.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Prestons in Leeds rang me yesterday to say mine was in to collect if I wanted it. She did admit a few people are turning them down with the imminent releases due at Baselworld. So I expect a lot more to be for sale April/May time.

Then the next year of flipping begins...
    Last edited by adam164; 6th February 2019 at 14:58.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    This thread seems to have gone a bit off topic it was initially asked why so many Tudor GMT for sale it seems to be now what dont you like about the GMT.
    You cant see a correlation between what people dislike about the watch and a lot of them appearing for sale in the used market once the post release hype has died down?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    You cant see a correlation between what people dislike about the watch and a lot of them appearing for sale in the used market once the post release hype has died down?
    Not really, if you like it enough to throw nearly £3k at it, the likelihood is that "slab sides" are not what you see when you look at it (and that bit is in common with every other Black Bay, this is not thicker, so this case is not new).
    If you dislike it, you won't have one to sell on the used market, so the correlation is not immediately apparent.