closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Introduction: Akura Wayfarer

Introduction: Akura Wayfarer

Hi everyone, I'm founder/designer so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting an introduction. My company Akura Timepieces is based in Dundee, and I'm currently finalising a mountaineering inspired toolwatch called the Wayfarer.

Some pics incoming:

It is Miyota 9015 powered, with a WR of 100m, sapphire sandwich, all custom design except for movement. Case with internal turning bezel at 41mm diameter, 10mm height, 48.5mm lug to lug.

The idea with this one was to collect feedback and make changes based on it, so over 300 comments led to this final design, improving hands, dial, bracelet, colours, etc.

The dial is multilayered with one complex outer part and a fine pattern in the middle. The idea is to have it react to light in an interesting way through its concave shape + chamfers.

With prep having taken almost two years it's finally slated for crowdfunding in Q2 of this year. Do let me know if you have any questions, I can provide more info if interest is there.

Looking forward to completing this one soon!
    Last edited by Philipp_Akura; 6th March 2019 at 21:30.

Welcome to the forum Philipp, I take if that you’ve asked Eddie’s permission to post your watches on here?

I do like the look of the Wayfarer but the lug/end link interface doesn’t work for me; the lugs need re-profiling so that forms a continuous curve rather than the point at the join.

Master
    Quite like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Philipp, I take if that you’ve asked Eddie’s permission to post your watches on here?

I do like the look of the Wayfarer but the lug/end link interface doesn’t work for me; the lugs need re-profiling so that forms a continuous curve rather than the point at the join.
    Funny that, it’s one of the features I like. Forget that I think I’ve misinterpreted what you meant, you said reprofile the lugs, to you mean the end link shape to carry on the lug curve? I initially thought you meant reprofile the lugs at the end where they have the angled ends.
    Last edited by jameswrx; 6th March 2019 at 21:24.

Why do you describe it as a compressor type case? I’m not seeing that. Otherwise, not a bad looking watch.

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I've sent Eddie a message. Apologies, should have done that before.

Regarding the re-profiling, a test part was manufactured that does exactly that but it gave some very 'squashed' reflections that didn't work well with the rest of the bracelet. You do get that 'smile' now, but it looks more cohesive overall.

Not for me, but I do like the idea of putting that type of bracelet on the watch. Makes a change from seeing it mainly on AP watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Why do you describe it as a compressor type case? I’m not seeing that. Otherwise, not a bad looking watch.

Foggy
    That's more in regards to the two crowns and internal turning bezel. It is more of a description of the visual style of the watch. Probably better to call it 'compressor-like'.

Made an edit to the original post to avoid confusion!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks quite nice, the dial is interesting and I like the red. Good luck in your venture.

I like the look of it but the main factor for most people will be the price,have you an idea where this will be,who are you comparing it too.
    I think people will take a punt upto £250-300 but then I think you start to struggle unless it’s excellent for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I think it looks quite nice, the dial is interesting and I like the red. Good luck in your venture.
    Thank you, indeed a venture, a lot of work setting things up but rewarding.

There's also a blue version in the works:

5 colours overall with a grey version as well, which isn't quite ready yet because it needed some dial colour rebalancing. Will be ready in about two weeks and featured in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I like the look of it but the main factor for most people will be the price,have you an idea where this will be,who are you comparing it too.
    I think people will take a punt upto £250-300 but then I think you start to struggle unless it’s excellent for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The plan is currently £399 at an early bird discount but the price may be adjusted prior to launch. The bracelet will be on all watches, which adds quite a bit of cost.

Will send it out to unbiased reviewers once the second batch of prototypes is ready.

@Philipp I like the design, out of curiosity what makes it a mountaineering inspired watch? I spend quite a bit of time outdoors and I've noticed that there is quite a bit of timing variation if I'm active with a lot of the micro brands, don't see it on my Rolex or Omegas.

Quote Originally Posted by aksd View Post
    @Philipp I like the design, out of curiosity what makes it a mountaineering inspired watch? I spend quite a bit of time outdoors and I've noticed that there is quite a bit of timing variation if I'm active with a lot of the micro brands, don't see it on my Rolex or Omegas.
    One of the inspirations is the Alpinist, a mountaineering watch, functionally the compass bezel goes more into that direction. You can also call it 'outdoor' or 'adventure' watch. It's used more to communicate that it isn't meant to be a dive watch (hence the 'inspired').

It's not a "hard" mountaineering watch with an altimeter. The marketing will be centered around the Highlands, so there's a marketing aspect to it as well.

Craftsman
    I've seen one of these up on my friend David's 'gram recently, looks a cool little piece! Always good to see fellow Scots give it a try!

Looks really good Phil, I like that a lot. I think for me the two potential sticking points would be price and, shallow as it is, the brand name. It's a bit... erm... Honda. But watch branding is a minefield and plenty of the established names get it so much worse. I'm looking at you, Chr Ward.

It's always amazing to have your own watch project and I really admire your passion. The watch looks really nice. However if someone briefed me about the branding I would choose a name like Nevis for this project. It has more Scottish and mountain references and would still be relevant to a series of watches. Akura does kind of ring Japanese brand. Just my opinion - good luck with it all

Introduction: Akura Wayfarer

Quite like the look of these, especially the dial patterning and colours (red and blue).

Think the mountain link is a bit tenuous though and the bracelet looks a bit insubstantial compared to the watch. How would it look on a leather strap?

Edit - missed the strap shown and looks good!

Thank you all for your kind words! I chose Akura from the German "akkurat", accurate, as I myself am German. It's a little nod to that, and the word itself looks aesthetically pleasing on the dial. I can understand it's tricky, wanted something else from the usual "Greek" or family names for new watch companies.

Don't have good shots on leather yet as there will also be adjustments, and adding a charcoal option. Here's a shot of the nylon with leather underside (The underside is visible in the first post's movement shot):

Will take a wrist shot on leather soon to showcase. (photo of the blue version is on leather)

Wow, finally something fresh and new ideas. I love the dial.

Looks nice, I'd like an option to have an ETA movement over the Miyota though

I agree about the name but wouldn’t put me off now I know the story behind it.
    I particularly like the dial details, hands and bracelet style, all work well together, so well done on producing something different but cohesive.
    Dan

Apprentice
    Looks really good, nice style.

Sadly after my previous experience I won't buy a watch without seeing it in person. Last time I bought a watch off Kickstarter and I didn't really like it once it arrived, now I don't know what to do with it. Maybe I'll try and sell it here once I have enough posts.

Master
    Have to say that I really like the look of these watches.

The different textures and colours on the dials combine with the text/batons/handset to look interesting and not your standard fare.

The bracelet looks good too. Not keen on the leather strap pictured though.

Good luck to the OP in this endeavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Looks nice, I'd like an option to have an ETA movement over the Miyota though
    There'd be a Sellita that would be quite compatible, the SW300-1, since it's only 3.6mm thick. (Keeping the case at 10mm) It would pretty much propel the Wayfarer out of Kickstarter territory price-wise though, just too expensive.

Glad on the comments regarding the dial, it took ages to design and balance everything.

Looks really nice, well done.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Looks really good Philipp and the amount of thought you have put into it really shows. Quite taken by the red dial and there isn't one in my collection.....

Good luck for the project.

Welcome, and many congratulations on your watch, it looks great, and I especially like that you have created depth and contrast on the dials with recessed insides and a textured centre.
    The blue is especially successful with a tad of contrast red.
    The internal bezel is a nice touch, although personally I have never found a watch compass at all useful, I prefer a count up 0-60 or countdown 60-0.
    There certainly seem to be a lot of extra details (sapphire back, own-design bracelet, custom crown shapes and so forth) to offer value for the cost.
    Good luck with it.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp_Akura View Post
    There'd be a Sellita that would be quite compatible, the SW300-1, since it's only 3.6mm thick. (Keeping the case at 10mm) It would pretty much propel the Wayfarer out of Kickstarter territory price-wise though, just too expensive.

Glad on the comments regarding the dial, it took ages to design and balance everything.

I don't mind paying extra for a better, quieter movement, it's a nice looking watch and deserves something nice I'd probably buy the red dial version as well.

I absolutely love the look of these. They may be a tad too big for my taste but the deal breaker for me is tge movement. I'd much rather have a quartz movement in this rather than a cheaper mechanical with terrible timing. I suspect I may be in the minority however.