closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nespresso pods - recommendations please

Master

Nespresso pods - recommendations please

Okay... let's get this out of the way before I start - I don't like pod machines. Compared to something like a Gagia I find the flavour thin and low on taste and it's hardly eco friendly!

btw I wonder if part of the reason for a lack of taste is down to the amount of coffee in the pod. They only seem to have about 7g of coffee in where as I aim for 15g in the Gaggia portafilter for a proper 2oz shot. Of course there are other factors like cheaper coffee, age of the coffee, etc....

However I have been forced by SWMBO to get a Nespresso because she can't cope with the Gaggia.

So I'm after recommendations please for pods that are as close as I can get to a proper espresso but which don't cost a bomb!

I tried the Black Donkey brand that I saw recommended on a couple of sites but they were as I expected... bland and tasteless. Does anyone do proper single bean pods?

Do a search - I seem to remember a long thread on that.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ight=Nespresso

There is another started Sept 2016 by Dougair.

How about something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274123874792

We’ve given up in the Nespresso machine and I’ve a stack of unused capsules that you’re welcome to. Pm me your address and I’ll pop them in the post to you.

I’ve tried quite a lot over a few years and these are my favourite for espresso

https://colonnacoffee.com/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

We’ve given up in the Nespresso machine and I’ve a stack of unused capsules that you’re welcome to. Pm me your address and I’ll pop them in the post to you.
    I like the idea of those.... I guess you add ground coffee not the whole bean!

Might take you up on the free pods..... I take you're not a pod fan either then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Do a search - I seem to remember a long thread on that.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ight=Nespresso

There is another started Sept 2016 by Dougair.
    Cheers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post

Might take you up on the free pods..... I take you're not a pod fan either then?
    Yes, ground coffee.

I gave up on the Nespresso because I didn’t particularly enjoy the taste of any of them and found it too much of a faff to get a dribble of coffee in the bottom of the cup.

I like a nice coffee but am happy to have a big mug of decent instant when I’m at home or a cup of tea.

The wife likes dolce gusto though.

I hope you went for the new Vertuo machine? The pods are much bigger than the original pods and flavour and creama is streets ahead.

Plus, they still have their Christmas deal on which effectively makes the machine totally free.

Ours ended up costing us £1, if you calculate what all the pods And £25 gift voucher would have cost.

I have our 10 year old original machine sat in a cupboard.

If anyone lives in or near Cambridge and fancies trying it out, feel free to come and get it, socially distanced of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post

I use some reusable ones like those linked as well, you’ll probably need two pods per cup and not let the water go through for too long if you like the gaggia taste.

They are a bit fiddly to clean though!

I like a nice coffee but am happy to have a big mug of decent instant when I’m at home.
    Sorry Dave but that’s an oxymoron

Hope you and yours are doing ok mate. All the best
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I think you misunderstood me Marc, I’m not saying that the decent instant is a nice cup of coffee, just a compromise due to my laziness!

All good here thanks, hope you and yours are holding up ok.

Nespresso pods - recommendations please

All good here too thankfully. I was highlighting the decent instant cup. It can be decent, OR it can be instant

I hope we’ll soon be allowed to go to that little greasy spoon.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I hope you went for the new Vertuo machine? The pods are much bigger than the original pods and flavour and creama is streets ahead.

Plus, they still have their Christmas deal on which effectively makes the machine totally free.

Ours ended up costing us £1, if you calculate what all the pods And £25 gift voucher would have cost.
    I must be missing something here, the pods appear to be 49 pence each and their cheapest Versio Machine is £79.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I must be missing something here, the pods appear to be 49 pence each and their cheapest Versio Machine is £79.

R
    I think it’s this subscription deal?

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/subs...subscription#/

Craftsman

If the OP doesn’t take these I would appreciate it and will make a fundraiser donation as a mark of appreciation

R

Also that line of machines was designed to stop you buying generic pods - I wouldn't touch it.

R
    It’s this deal here. We did it just before Christmas and it’s been brought back recently.

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/spring-promotion

You pay £75 for the machine which has 30 or 40 pods in the box. (I forget how many) They send you 100 more pods as a gift and you also get a £25 voucher toward setting up your subscription/ direct debit.

The subscription is not one where they automatically send you coffee, it’s literally just a direct debit each month for 17/25/35 quid, whatever amount you want, into your Nespresso account. Then when you log in to buy more coffee, you use up your balance rather than having to pay. Doing it this way gives you 10% off and they also l send a few offers each year to subscribers.

If you add up the value of the 140 pods you get, and add the £25 voucher, I think it works out at about £1 for the machine.

I always had two pods at a time with the old machine as they’re tiny. So it was costing me 70p a go. The new ones are about 50p a go.

Plus, the only non-nespresso (cheaper) old style pods which were any good were the aluminium ones, and they weren’t really “that” much cheaper than the real ones which were better and had a far greater choice of flavours.

The new Virtuo pods may well have been created to give them another few years of exclusivity, but they are all 2/3/4 times the size of the old style pods.
    When the machine runs, it spins the pod at about 7000 rpm as it forces the water through which makes a massive difference to the crema and flavour. It really is in a different league to the original machines.
    Last edited by mr noble; 9th May 2020 at 14:48.

https://youtu.be/RTzUiX101C0

Good demo of how the new system works.

I have no affiliation to the company by the way. I’m just a very impressed and happy customer.

I only just discovered Amazon do their own brand, I’m now on my second box and am mightily impressed. Works out at 9p per pod which is way better than the 30p Nespresso charge.

Solimo Nespresso*

I buy the Red Espresso capsules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starbucks ones are ok, think most of the aluminium capsules aren’t too bad these days but I’d avoid the plastic capsules, don’t think I’ve ever had any plastic ones I was happy with.

I tend to pick up Starbucks ones when they are on offer in the supermarket but pretty much have gone back to actual Nespresso capsules using the monthly subscription to at least get 10% extra credit.

Starbucks was quite nice but I want to buy in bulk and the packaging was annoying. Pact was disgusting and the machine didn't fit the capsules right. Lor wasn't partially nice. Grind I didn't like the taste of but perhaps it's posh coffee and not for me (my wife says I have a pikey palette). The compostable aspect of them and subscription I liked thought.

Can't beat the purple capsule from Nespresso so far.

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    Starbucks ones are ok
    They are made in partnership with Nespresso so the pods are identical (but not the coffee which is Starbuck's house blend) to nespressos own so will work with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    It’s this deal here.
    Thanks.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.