closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longines upcoming Heritage scorchers!

Craftsman
    I’m most surprised at the 36mm Legend Diver in white. Is this a new thing or have I just not noticed it before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longines1 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/163673403@N02/]

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    I’m most surprised at the 36mm Legend Diver in white. Is this a new thing or have I just not noticed it before?

They allegedly released a 36mm LD last year in pearl, purple fade and original black but I haven’t ever seen one in a shop and only a couple online. Not really sure what goes on with Longines to be honest, they have some of the nicest designs but the dealers always have the most boring stuff in.

Close up it looks like a MOP dial, a woman's watch I think.

My lucky find recently https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ongines-Spirit

These new ones definitely on the radar thanks Tetlee

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    They allegedly released a 36mm LD last year in pearl, purple fade and original black but I haven’t ever seen one in a shop and only a couple online. Not really sure what goes on with Longines to be honest, they have some of the nicest designs but the dealers always have the most boring stuff in.
    Do you think it’s lack of supply or the fact that the more plain stuff sells better? They’re a value for money Swiss brand, hence dress watches bought for special birthdays would seem to be their bread and butter.

Do you think it’s lack of supply or the fact that the more plain stuff sells better? They’re a value for money Swiss brand, hence dress watches bought for special birthdays would seem to be their bread and butter.

Probably a bit of both - every AD I’ve been into had no idea about any new models (I’ve had a LLD for ten years and was interested in the 36mm for my wife). Keep hearing about these new models (although it never seems to be announced as such by Longines themselves) but never see them or know anyone who can get them. Odd.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post

That 30m WR is a thing though. I’m never likely to want to shower in a watch but having just a bit more, 100m say, would give a little more confidence that day-to-day life wouldn’t kill the watch

Totally wrong way to look at it that way in my opinion. 30 metres WR us a lot, it isn’t as big a number as 100 but it’s still enough, and that’s what counts. When I restore old watches I use 3 bar as a target,I usually achieve it, and believe you me a watch that passes that test will not leak in everyday use , trust me on that point. I don’t swim in watches and I don’t shower in them, but I do get them wet frequently and the ones I’ve put together ( and tested) don’t leak even though some are 70 years old.

Dismissing a watch because it only has 30 metres WR is irrational unless you genuinely intend to swim in it or insist on wearing it in the shower. It’s a bit like saying a car that does 0-60 in 7 seconds is slow, because some do it in 5.

But the point is that Longines put a 30m WR on it and state the limitations so that they need not guarantee it.
    I grant you that 30m is enough to do these things, but Longines' own info explicitly says it isn't, so they can abandon you if it goes wrong.
    It is not the WR per se that is the problem, it is the fact that Longines do so in order not to stand by their product.
    That's wrong

Craftsman
    I'm a big longines fan and own a legend diver but these designs do nothing for me, they all look a little 'flat ' in my opinion, I also agree the WR is pretty poor.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    Longines1 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/163673403@N02/]
    What is that? Looks lovely.

Edit - found it.
    Last edited by verv; 17th May 2020 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Totally wrong way to look at it that way in my opinion. 30 metres WR us a lot, it isn’t as big a number as 100 but it’s still enough, and that’s what counts.
    I get what you’re saying Paul and I respect that you know a heck of a lot more about how a watch is put together than me. Having only 30m WR wouldn’t stop me buying the right watch. I’ve got a few that have that or less and I enjoy them equally as much as those with a considerably higher rating.

However and maybe I’m being too simplistic, it doesn’t seem to be beyond Longines to build in (and guarantee) a little more. I might not be having a shower or going for a swim with a watch in my day-to-day life but heaven forbid, I might do some washing up, housework (whatever that is ) or more likely, wash a car. As I said, it’s about confidence. Give the watch a 50m rating and suddenly, as if by magic, I could do those things.

Anyway, nice watches. I might buy one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I wash up and walk in pouring rain wearing vintage watches tested to 30m, they don’t leak, that’s all that matters to me.

Actually seeing a watch immersed at 3 bar tends to focus the mind, it all becomes a bit more real.

The paranoid worry about WR was dispelled once and for all for me when, must've been a few years ago, I read of a bog standard £15 30m digital Casio actually being taken down to 30m below sea level - and survived with knobs on. Yes, it's just one example and the guy may have got lucky, but much kudos to Casio. It made me re-assess the whole WR fiasco.
    Last edited by Geralt; 18th May 2020 at 07:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    The paranoid worry about WR was dispelled once and for all for me when, must've been a few years ago, I read of a bog standard £15 30m digital Casio actually being taken down to 30m below sea level - and survived with knobs on. Yes, it's just one example and the guy may have got lucky, but much kudos to Casio. It made me re-assess the whole WR fiasco.
    I’m pretty sure the wr ratings stayed are conservative within warranty period at least. For example if you took a wr30 down to wr40 I’m sure the vast majority would be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’m pretty sure the wr ratings stayed are conservative within warranty period at least. For example if you took a wr30 down to wr40 I’m sure the vast majority would be just fine
    This is probably a bit too technical for me but I always thought that the WR ratings quoted were if the watch was static, not actually being used underwater. So a 30m WR watch would be ok 30m under water if it wasn’t being moved but would probably fail if being used just to swim on the surface due to the extra pressure being placed on it by the arm moving through the water. For that reason you might be ok swimming in a 50m WR watch but probably shouldn’t be using anything less than 100m.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    This is probably a bit too technical for me but I always thought that the WR ratings quoted were if the watch was static, not actually being used underwater. So a 30m WR watch would be ok 30m under water if it wasn’t being moved but would probably fail if being used just to swim on the surface due to the extra pressure being placed on it by the arm moving through the water. For that reason you might be ok swimming in a 50m WR watch but probably shouldn’t be using anything less than 100m.
    That was what i thought also. Not sure where I read it. Googled it. This is a good write up.

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/what-...e-numbers-mean

Longines upcoming Heritage scorchers!

Not what I meant / what I meant was that they prob err on the side of caution and understate the wr.

Similar to the mantra of under promise over deliver

Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    That was what i thought also. Not sure where I read it. Googled it. This is a good write up.

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/what-...e-numbers-mean
    So they are saying the Rolex Submariner 200m is not suitable as a dive watch? Really?

So they are saying the Rolex Submariner 200m is not suitable as a dive watch? Really?
    That article is rubbish.

As crazy as it may seem even the DeepSea cannot be called a divers watch. It may exceed the requirements in every way but Rolex do not subscribe to ISO 6425 so if they were to put the word Diver anywhere on the watch they would be in some very hot water.
    The reality is, of course, very different as Rolex claims to test every watch to much higher standards. It’s also interesting that the test required by the ISO is only 100m + 25%.

Journeyman
    This Hodinkee article debunks that thought by referencing someone who has actually done the maths. Jack Forster's conclusion was:

"(a) 100 meters is more than enough; (b) your watch may be a lot tougher than just the numbers tell you; and (c) you can't swim fast enough to defeat your dive watch depth rating, not by a long shot."

Link here.

Back to the topic, some of those Longines look great!

This is probably a bit too technical for me but I always thought that the WR ratings quoted were if the watch was static, not actually being used underwater. So a 30m WR watch would be ok 30m under water if it wasn’t being moved
    No. 30m WR is (supposedly) only good for hand washing, rain splashes etc

...but would probably fail if being used just to swim on the surface due to the extra pressure being placed on it by the arm moving through the water.
    I'm no expert but I think you're describing dynamic pressure. This is one of the most quoted myths wrt water and watches. There is a difference but it's miniscule.

...For that reason you might be ok swimming in a 50m WR watch but probably shouldn’t be using anything less than 100m.
    I think you've missed my post above...

I did, right at the start of the WR discussion (post #28) actually quote Longines own list of exclusions.
    In the case of 30m WR it specifically excludes

Showering, washing up and housework - so no, Longines themselves will not stand by 30m being enough to wash your hands (if you immerse them)

They are effectively disowning any water damage, whatsoever.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I did, right at the start of the WR discussion (post #28) actually quote Longines own list of exclusions.
    In the case of 30m WR it specifically excludes

Showering, washing up and housework - so no, Longines themselves will not stand by 30m being enough to wash your hands (if you immerse them)

They are effectively disowning any water damage, whatsoever.
    The technical information document on their website (link here) states that 3 bar is suitable for "rain, hand-washing" which is standard for the industry. I don't think this is disowning any water damage whatsoever. 5 bar is suitable for "showering, washing up, housework and bathing". Again, I would think this is par for the course. You may wish to immerse your hands wrist deep into water to wash yours but it's generally not what most people do. It's quite simple to take off your watch when submerging it into water and put it back on when you've finished.

An everyday dress style watch that is designed to be worn for everyday occasions. Sadly for most people everyday occasions do not include diving in a bathyscaphe, flying to the moon, being Paul Newman, racing a 60s grand prix or dogfighting for the Lufftwaffe. 3 bar will be enough.

I can’t think of a reason why I’d purposely keep my watch on whilst doing anything like washing up, gardening, showering, swimming. It’s not like any of these activities are unplanned and I don’t have the choice whether or not to wear my watch. I just don’t see why I’d need or want to wear an expensive watch in these situations. As a result, water resistance doesn’t even cross my mind.

I guess other people seem to like the idea that watches are part of them and should take part in every situation they do. Probably like the idea of “wabi” too. This is when 30m might bother you.

Grand Master
    Water resistance is a bit like skin, you don't need much to give adequate protection in 99% of situations.

One has shown up on HODINKEE but the others look not to be released yet.