closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions on this house please? In Marlow Bottom.

Red face Opinions on this house please? In Marlow Bottom.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-93357428.html

Apologies to all who are bored to death already ...but the search continues... all input welcome. :)

I am of the opinion that it's much too expensive for me. And who the hell puts a washing machine in a summer house?
    Last edited by Lampoc; 17th June 2020 at 20:52.

Looks comparatively good value to me - and an attractive house.

Our house is also on a sloping plot and it’s a pain in the arse. One of the things we’ll be addressing when we do our next move.

Master
    Lovely kerb appeal, very posh summer house and they have the exact same day bed that converts to a double in the study we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good gliding club very near by if that is your thing , I learnt to fly at Booker , which is 10 minutes away.

A big chunk of the original double garage has been taken to build the en-suite, making it effectively a single garage.

The upstairs rooms have limited headroom due to sloping ceilings.

No guest WC. Guests would need to use family bathroom upstairs, or go through the bedrooms to use the downstairs en-suite.

Rear of house faces NE. You’d need to go up to the summer house patio for afternoon sun.

This is very different to the other property.

I think you need to decide what type of property you want, then find it, rather than let Rightmove show you something that's 80% right.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure any of our opinions should influence your house buying decision, but for what it’s worth whilst Marlow is expensive ( I’m an Oxford lad so I know the area quite well and have spent many good nights in Marlow bar and grill and the Ivy garden ) I personally think you could find a house with proper bedrooms and to a higher fit and finish for that budget albeit probably with less outside space. Do you need to buy now as the general consensus is prices will be dropping in the next quarter

Do you really value the actual house that much more than location? Obviously everyone is different but I’m planning on making some big compromises to get a house in the right area. If I were you I would pick the town then narrow down the house choice based on your budget for the area.

No cloakroom/downstairs toilet in an £800k house?

Dressing rooms rather than en-suites upstairs.

Looks kind of like the modifications made to a B&B......................

Sorry!
    Last edited by blackal; 17th June 2020 at 22:25.

A no from me.

Fairly dated - not sure if it is market competitive, but if I was spending that kind of money it would be off my list.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Red face

Thanks for comments so far. It’s nice to get others’ perspective as I’m undecided.

I know I should pick one location and look just there, but there normally aren’t enough ‘nice’ properties for sale within my budget in a lovely neighbourhood. I’m looking from Amersham to Weybridge, via Windsor b and Henley. :)

No children, so schools are not an issue. I work in Surrey, but my wife in Holborn.

Blog Entries
    Whilst it does seem good value at first glance, I think there are too many compromises. In any case, I never liked downstairs bedrooms, other than in bungalows.

This is the EPC for the house - it states the overall floor area in square metres. If you are looking at several houses in a similar area it will give you a ‘square metres for £’s’ comparison by checking the EPC for each property. So if value for money is top of your list this will help- if a large garden or a view is top of your list- not so much. Also I’d buy your first choice house because you like it and want to live there rather than you’re second choice because it was a ‘better deal’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice exterior, garden and summerhouse if you like that style of house. But the inside is a bland boring soulless box that needs life breathing into it.

Get to know Estate Agents in the area you want to move to. Make yourself the most keen, desirable easy to deal with buyer on their books and you'll get to see properties that don't even get as far as rightmove.

We did that and got perfect house for our budget that didn't even go onto the open market and we were only people to see it.
    Last edited by ViperStripes; 17th June 2020 at 23:46.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Thanks for comments so far. It’s nice to get others’ perspective as I’m undecided.

I know I should pick one location and look just there, but there normally aren’t enough ‘nice’ properties for sale within my budget in a lovely neighbourhood. I’m looking from Amersham to Weybridge, via Windsor b and Henley. :)

No children, so schools are not an issue. I work in Surrey, but my wife in Holborn.
    Have you looked in Maidenhead. Crossrail will take your wife straight to Tottenham court road

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Wow. I'm amazed you can get a house with that land and size for that budget. Round here that's a 2 bed flat. That's an eye opener. I need to move out I reckon.

Thanks for all the input so far, All.

I think I’ll pass on this house too. :)

Hack, can I make a recommendation?

If you see something you really like, don't post it here.

You may find that someone else dives in.

Edit - I should add, I don't mean members but guests who can see the G&D.

Blog Entries
    Join the robot mower thread here on TZ-UK. You'll need that!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

I knew a fella who had a ‘steady’ girlfriend. He put in an offer (Scotland) on a house, which of course - she was privy to.......

Guess what - she privately submitted an offer £500 more than him.

Now referred to as ‘ex’-girlfriend.

All’s fair in love and property

Yep, Al, I have a similar story. Not property but just as important.

A good friend of mine was going for a job. One lunchtime, another friend of mine and I were going for a walk to buy some food.

During the walk, we chatted and I mentioned that the job market was picking up, giving my good friend's interview with [company name redacted] as an example.

You can guess what happened next.

To say I was unimpressed is an understatement.

That was 20 years ago and I haven't made the same mistake twice.

SydR
    4 bed 2 bath?!

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by NIGE UK View Post

This is the EPC for the house - it states the overall floor area in square metres. If you are looking at several houses in a similar area it will give you a ‘square metres for £’s’ comparison by checking the EPC for each property. So if value for money is top of your list this will help- if a large garden or a view is top of your list- not so much. Also I’d buy your first choice house because you like it and want to live there rather than you’re second choice because it was a ‘better deal’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You could always look at the floorplans on the website for the floor area - which suggest the floor area is 205sqm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Pfff, I live in the Netherlands (some places -7mtr) and I don't recall seeing a map like this for potential home owners. It's simple: when you live on the 'outside' of a dyke/levee, you're at risk. That's when you buy a floating home.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=drijvend+wonen&rlz=1C1GGRV_enNL748NL748&s ource=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiY7bz3j-vYAhVRyaQKHcxmCD0Q_AUICygC&biw=1527&bih=791#imgrc= aZAMAz_ctWPuLM:

In all other cases: no worries.

Granted, I've seen the sloping hillsides of the UK and I can imagine that there will be tons of water coming down the hills when it's raining! We don't have that. What's more: our soil (ground?) doesn't contain rocks and boulders so the water can be easily soaked up by the soil.

Back on topic: when you want to spend 800k on a home, why not building a new one? Find a nice location and buy yourself a wonderful German prefabricated house. Those Germans do not compromise on build quality! Their housing rules and building regulations are very, very strict. https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Wondered about that issue, potentially a soggy Bottom, no fun.

Yup those Huf houses look lovely and v.well constructed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the look of the house but as has been said, there is a flood risk from surface water.

If you locate the exact property on this map https://flood-warning-information.se...flood-risk/map you will see how it appears particularly vulnerable.

I wonder whether, or how long before, this will affect mortgage lenders willingness to lend and insurers willingness to insure?

Good advice, thanks. :)

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

Maidenhead isn’t a town that’s been on the radar so far. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    Have you looked in Maidenhead. Crossrail will take your wife straight to Tottenham court road

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    You could always look at the floorplans on the website for the floor area - which suggest the floor area is 205sqm.
    So the EPC says that the property is 167m2 whereas the estate agent's particulars says that it's 205m2. That's quite a disparity - any idea what would case it, and which is correct. (The days when Estate Agents could tell all sorts of porkies have presumably ended with the various legislation they are now bound by?)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    So the EPC says that the property is 167m2 whereas the estate agent's particulars says that it's 205m2. That's quite a disparity - any idea what would case it, and which is correct. (The days when Estate Agents could tell all sorts of porkies have presumably ended with the various legislation they are now bound by?)
    EPC's are notoriously unreliable, but then so are the plans drafted by estate agents too. They are really only useful as a guide only. Personally I would be more inclined to use the estate agent floor plans over the EPC but the EA's plans are gross floor area, so that may explain a bit of difference.

As the photos show that some rooms at 1st floor are built below the sloping roofline, it may(?) be that some plans disregard any areas of floorspace below 1.8m headroom. Albeit, that may just be making an excuse for poor surveying for all we know....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Wow. I'm amazed you can get a house with that land and size for that budget. Round here that's a 2 bed flat. That's an eye opener. I need to move out I reckon.
    Or, if you move to N Ireland...

https://www.propertypal.com/edenticu...borough/516727

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

that is lovely

i fancy this one near me, 5x over my budget though, lol

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-75716827.html

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    EPC's are notoriously unreliable, but then so are the plans drafted by estate agents too. They are really only useful as a guide only. Personally I would be more inclined to use the estate agent floor plans over the EPC but the EA's plans are gross floor area, so that may explain a bit of difference.

As the photos show that some rooms at 1st floor are built below the sloping roofline, it may(?) be that some plans disregard any areas of floorspace below 1.8m headroom. Albeit, that may just be making an excuse for poor surveying for all we know....
    Probably included the garage area in the floor area calculation... I’ve often seen this done even if the garage is a stand alone entity!

Thanks for all the input so far, All.

I think I’ll pass on this house too. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Blimey!

My Aunty used to live 4 doors down nice area and much cheaper than Marlow!!!

Craftsman
    Check it out. Great for families. Lots of redevelopment
    Maidenhead isn’t a town that’s been on the radar so far. Thanks.