closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I've found a 116600

Craftsman

I've found a 116600

I've seen a Sea Dweller 116600 in a local jewellery shop at a sensible price and despite owning many watches, I feel out of my depth when not buying from an AD or this great place.

It looks good to me, no serious damage, sharp edges etc but I do have some concerns. I need to go back for a second viewing but on initial inspection it appeared that the markers on the bezel were not perfectly aligned with the markers on the dial. Just slightly out but visible to me without my reading glasses. If I'm right, could it possibly have been supplied like this from new?

Secondly, I was told that it has been serviced by a Rolex Accredited watch maker and when I asked who this was I was told it was Sean Yates. I googled this person and he is an independent watch maker trading as About Time. So not Rolex Accredited.

Can I ask what I should be looking for when I go back to view again? If the misalignment is there, is this an issue? It doesn't bother me aesthetically.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I would just factor in a mothership service as part of the price negotiation.

Does it have B&P, what is the price?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Does it have B&P, what is the price?
    Yes it has B&P, the price is £9,950

Ignore me, misread the reference. I would still be more tempted by a WTB here from a trusted member as that isn't the sort of watch I'd want to have touched by someone who isn't accredited.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 6th September 2020 at 13:19.

Master
    That's a decent price for a SD4K indeed. The SC one is a 16600.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    I've seen a Sea Dweller 116600 in a local jewellery shop at a sensible price and despite owning many watches
    Take it to Oswestry market and someone will be able to service it if there is a problem.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ignore me, misread the reference. I would still be more tempted by a WTB here from a trusted member as that isn't the sort of watch I'd want to have touched by someone who isn't accredited.
    I agree but there are multiple WTB's for a 116600 already and I can't imagine getting a huge reaponse.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    That's a decent price for a SD4K indeed.

These are my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    That's a decent price for a SD4K indeed. The SC one is a 16600.

Agreed it is not a bad price from a dealer for a SD4K

I would offer them £9.5 allowing you £500 towards a service with RSC.

... I feel out of my depth when not buying from an AD or this great place.

... but I do have some concerns. ...
    You don't have the knowledge and you have concerns. This tells me you should walk away.

Master
    >when I asked who this was I was told it was Sean Yates. I googled this person and he is an independent watch maker<

Following the rule of 'buy the seller', I'd be walking away now.

Craftsman
    Yeah that is a good price concidering...
    Though the only problem is if its been 'serviced' by an independent, you dont know if he had to use non gen parts thus when it does go back to rolex, they might not be happy.

Unfortunately, what i believe its the SDs and daytonas that have to go back to rolex for service as they require parts only rolex have and do not supply even accredited watchmakers.

I asked william/bill rice about a service on mine and they said they wouldnt do it because of that and to send it to rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam1288 View Post

Unfortunately, what i believe its the SDs and daytonas that have to go back to rolex for service as they require parts only rolex have and do not supply even accredited watchmakers.
    Not true.

I sent a SD 16600 for a service to:

https://www.prestigetimeservices.co....ex-accredited/

I agree that most won't work on them, but these are Rolex accredited and use only Rolex parts. Not much in it price wise, but at least they didn't give me the long list of things that didn't need changing in order to run the bill up.

Master
    Yeah that is a good price concidering...
    Though the only problem is if its been 'serviced' by an independent, you dont know if he had to use non gen parts thus when it does go back to rolex, they might not be happy.

I asked william/bill rice about a service on mine and they said they wouldnt do it because of that and to send it to rolex.
    I dont think Bill Rice is Rolex accredited any more.
    I'm sure I've read on here before that Genesis couldnt guarantee the WR of Seadwellers due to not having the required testing.
    Maybe that's changed.

Master
    £13,000 on WF so looks like a bargain if question marks re servicing can be resolved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    >when I asked who this was I was told it was Sean Yates. I googled this person and he is an independent watch maker<

Maybe you should elaborate to let the OP know exactly what you’re implying so he can make an informed decision.

Craftsman

Secondary market

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post

Unfortunately like most watches on the Secondary market outwith manufacturers warranty you are always a little at risk from what is going on inside the case. For most secondary dealers, any watch that comes in is given probably at routine timer test and maybe little polish for some display shine but that will be it. As above, buy the seller, if it goes wrong would you have confidence that the seller would fix it or in worst case scenario, agree to refund you in full.

Is a good price but have seen this model at around £10-10.5 etc from very reputable secondary dealers, WF as always give a false impression with there pricing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Not true.

I sent a SD 16600 for a service to:

https://www.prestigetimeservices.co....ex-accredited/

I agree that most won't work on them, but these are Rolex accredited and use only Rolex parts. Not much in it price wise, but at least they didn't give me the long list of things that didn't need changing in order to run the bill up.
    Not true

Maybe this was before rolex cut parts supply as i also mentioned it to david duggan in burlington arcade over the weekend and he said the same... even though they are accredited, they would still send it back to rolex for parts inavailability and pressure testing equipment

Not true

Maybe this was before rolex cut parts supply as i also mentioned it to david duggan in burlington arcade over the weekend and he said the same... even though they are accredited, they would still send it back to rolex for parts inavailability and pressure testing equipment
    This was about a month ago. The site still says they will work on SDs and Daytonas.

You believe what you want...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Maybe you should elaborate to let the OP know exactly what you’re implying so he can make an informed decision.
    I took this to mean that the retailer had not been straight with me about the credentials of the watchmaker which I agree is worrying. However she also told me that it didn't have a micro adjustment on the clasp so I'm basically ignoring everything she told me and I will do some more digging.

Master
    I took this to mean that the retailer had not been straight with me about the credentials of the watchmaker which I agree is worrying. However she also told me that it didn't have a micro adjustment on the clasp so I'm basically ignoring everything she told me and I will do some more digging.

See I took it to mean something different, which is why if I were you I’d want to know exactly what the post meant.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    This was about a month ago. The site still says they will work on SDs and Daytonas.

You believe what you want...

Why so defensive?

I was in david duggan yesterday after dropping my SD 116600 for service on friday to RSC st james.
    He has no reason to misinform me... your service may well have been possible for your 16600 which isnt the same model in question and may have been sone time ago.

Its only the info im passing on to the OP from several rolex accredited watchmakers

Why so defensive?

I was in david duggan yesterday after dropping my SD 116600 for service on friday to RSC st james.
    He has no reason to misinform me... your service may well have been possible for your 16600 which isnt the same model in question and may have been sone time ago.

Its only the info im passing on to the OP from several rolex accredited watchmakers
    Isn't RSC St James closed?

Craftsman
    Isn't RSC St James closed?
    Technically yes but they are still working behind closed doors ;)
    Just need to know what door to open

Technically yes but they are still working behind closed doors ;)
    Just need to know what door to open
    Interesting and good to know as I have a watch that requires regulating.

Craftsman
    Interesting and good to know as I have a watch that requires regulating.
    Yeah. They are very helpful and generally happy to help. Unlike most ADs in my experience.
    Ask for paul sharp

Journeyman
    Question for others: would you broadly be satisfied if Rolex are willing to take the watch in for a service? Or could this still not be good enough?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    Question for others: would you broadly be satisfied if Rolex are willing to take the watch in for a service? Or could this still not be good enough?
    If they are happy having looked inside, that ought to be conclusive, I would have thought.

Assuming the OP is dealing with a reputable high street operation, he ought to have a reasonable chance of recourse should anything unpleasant emerge at Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LPC6 View Post
    They will take it in for sure... to be honest, I doubt any parts have been fitted or even needed to be fitted being a modern watch but you never know.... if there are non genuine stuff they may be funny or just replace as part of the service, depends on what they call complimentary service parts

If you're happy with it, you could take it to get checked for timekeeping at RSC or a good watchmaker. If its good then just wear it until a full service is needed?

Journeyman
    My thinking would be to buy it from someone reputable, who'd be willing to refund if all is not in order. Take it to rolex for a service and if they refuse to service if there's something funny, then you have your answer.

Blog Entries
    Tell the shop you’ll go 50:50 on a service at a via a Rolex AD. And then you’ll buy it.
    I’m sure £250ish each is doable.

If not walk away.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

And pay on your credit card, have the receipt state that it is assured to be genuine incl. all parts.

If it turns out not to be, get a refund from your CC company

The price is low compared to literally everywhere I have looked over the last few weeks. That would make me cautious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    With regard to Sean Yates, 2 of my watches have been serviced by him as he’s local to me and his work is excellent. My Explorer (before I bought it) had been serviced by Sean and it had a new Rolex etched crystal fitted so I guess there are some parts available to him.

He recently serviced my Tudor Sub too, on this occasion I was able to meet with him. Lovely bloke and another excellent job.

I know SD’s are another breed with regard to servicing, I presume Rolex insist on them going in-house as few places have the capable WR testing gear and a new, expensive HEV is required, why when they never get operated is beyond me.

There are plenty of Rolex accredited independents who won’t/can’t touch the SD, as others have pointed out, budget for a Rolex service and you’ve still got a bargain, relatively speaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is years since I have spoken to Rocco here in Bristol (he longer works on vintage stuff or cheaper watches), but he was very clear a few years back that his Rolex accreditation does not stretch to working on SDs, they had to go to the Rolex inhouse team.
    Rocco himself is very well qualified, he even instructs training courses for the RSC technicians, so I assume it was a lack of equipment at his location that meant he was not allowed to do SDs.
    Speaking to Duncan at Genesis recently, he similarly stated that he no longer held Rolex accreditation for Subs, so I assume that will be the same issue, that Rolex makes very high demands on independents in order to allow them to service different models.
    It is a shame they are so restrictive, it reduces consumer choice massively.
    I am sure Mr Yates is fine, but it probably means he only did a movement service, unless he has mysterious access to spares that Rolex would not normally sell him.
    Dave