closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Show Us Your Garden Rooms

Show Us Your Garden Rooms

Apologies if this has been a topic before but the search results didn’t return much. We have a wasted area at the bottom of our garden which is currently occupied by an overgrown patio and a falling down shed. This is being replaced by a decking area and a log cabin garden room. The size of the garden room is only 4m*1.8m so it’s not too big. We’re trying to think how we’ll furnish it. The whole garden bar thing really isn’t for us and my study serves as a decent home office so it will probably be used just for reading, listening to the radio and escaping the kids. Would love to see your examples for inspiration.
    Also, given our intended use, we have opted against having power installed as part of the build. Could this be a mistake?
    Many thanks.

Master
    I think you will regret no power, limits to daylight or summer use only. Ability for internet, lighting, music etc; would be a no brainier for me.

Our garden room, as we call it is attached to the house as a solid roof conservatory, clearly easier to have power but wouldn’t be able to use it as often without the hue mood lighting etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have a summerhouse and use it for reading, listening to music and generally relaxing. Even though it is much smaller than the OP's planned build, we have power and it is very useful - radio, lights when it gets a bit dark in the evening and the potential to use an electric heater if we want.

Could always use solar lighting to extend use on darker evenings.

Here is ours. It is 12 ft x 8 ft (3.7m x 2.4m). Nothing fancy but it is double skinned and insulated with double glazing for winter use and has full electrics.

We originally built it without any purpose in mind, and before Covid used it as an art room and had a big 55” TV in there for movie nights and watching Premier League matches with the kids. Outside of summer the wicker chairs just slot back in.

Since Covid, it has paid for itself as a dual office, as both the missus and I work from home.

STRONGLY recommend electrics. You can't do anything without it.

edit - since we had ours done last year, I give you an idea of cost. £7k including erection for the building (unpainted), £700 for a concrete slab, £1k for electrics. We needed a new RCD fuse board, so you can almost halve the electrical cost this if you don't. Budget for around £8-9k if you don't want to lift a finger of your own.

Last edited by noTAGlove; 24th June 2020 at 12:08. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Here is ours. It is 12 ft x 8 ft (3.7m x 2.4m). Nothing fancy but it is double skinned and insulated with double glazing for winter use and has full electrics.

We originally built it without any purpose in mind, and before Covid used it as an art room and had a big 55” TV in there for movie nights and watching Premier League matches with the kids. Outside of summer the wicker chairs just slot back in.

Since Covid, it has paid for itself as a dual office, as both the missus and I work from home.

edit - since we had ours done last year, I give you an idea of cost. £7k including erection for the building (unpainted), £700 for a concrete slab, £1k for electrics. We needed a new RCD fuse board, so you can almost halve the electrical cost this if you don't. Budget for around £8-9k if you don't want to lift a finger of your own.
    Thanks for that, it does seem that power is the way to go. Ours is going on an existing patio but requires a levelling base, cost including construction with double glazing etc is £5.5k and they have quoted £1k for electrics subject to site survey. Also unpainted, it seems that most of the suppliers will charge extra for supplying paint but all expect you to do that part yourself.

Show Us Your Garden Rooms

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Thanks for that, it does seem that power is the way to go. Ours is going on an existing patio but requires a levelling base, cost including construction with double glazing etc is £5.5k and they have quoted £1k for electrics subject to site survey. Also unpainted, it seems that most of the suppliers will charge extra for supplying paint but all expect you to do that part yourself.
    You will save a chunk of money if you paint the cabin, but don’t underestimate the effort; it was a right royal PITA and seemed to go on forever.

I think I needed at least 3 coats (maybe 4) on the inside (a couple of coats on the outside) to cover the bare wood plus two coats of knotting. You can buy white primer that also knots at the same time and I wish I’d have known about that. The masking tape preparation seemed to take a day by itself. It took a good couple of weeks of effort.

Check you have a modern RCD fuse board with at least a 16 amp (maybe 32 amp if the cabin is more than 25-30+m for the fuse board given voltage drop) spare connection. If not, the fuse board is a minimum of £400.

Electrical regs will require an RCD type fuse board for this addition, otherwise you won’t get a certificate, which will cause difficulties if you ever sell you house, and obviously is needed for safety reasons.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 24th June 2020 at 14:20.

Master
    That is money well spent - looks great :-)

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

This is ours. Installed about 2 and a half years ago, cost including groundwork was about £5k

Excuse the interior design - I had no say in it and was told the garage is my retreat

We put a sofa bed in it and it gets used a fair bit for sleepovers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bootsy; 24th June 2020 at 16:24.

Finally installed after a four month covid delay. Just needs the outside painted now which is happening this week. Decided getting the electrics fitted was for the best so it can be used all year round. Should be the perfect kid free reading/radio/watch browsing zone!

Craftsman
    Finally installed after a four month covid delay. Just needs the outside painted now which is happening this week. Decided getting the electrics fitted was for the best so it can be used all year round. Should be the perfect kid free reading/radio/watch browsing zone!

Very scandi. I like.

Master
    Looks great. Where is the coffee table from out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
    Looks great. Where is the coffee table from out of interest?
    Both were from Habitat, long one is a Bumble and round one a Bert. Just had a look and I can’t see the long one on the site now.

Master
    Nice one. Thanks
    Both were from Habitat, long one is a Bumble and round one a Bert. Just had a look and I can’t see the long one on the site now.

Got my 6m X 4m garden office but during lockdown by a company in Barnet. Screw pile foundations, insulated, walls plastered and painted. Interior has light and an electric heater which is operated by a timer. Stays nice and warm throughout the day and lots of light. The exterior is Canadian western red cedar which is oiled to prevent it going silver. The deck is a grey composite decking. Works as a chill out space but also have my office desk and some gym equipment at the other end.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gpattni View Post
    Got my 6m X 4m garden office but during lockdown by a company in Barnet. Screw pile foundations, insulated, walls plastered and painted. Interior has light and an electric heater which is operated by a timer. Stays nice and warm throughout the day and lots of light. The exterior is Canadian western red cedar which is oiled to prevent it going silver. The deck is a grey composite decking. Works as a chill out space but also have my office desk and some gym equipment at the other end.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    That looks amazing , would you mind sharing the name of the company who did it? I am in Barnet too and am looking for company that supplies and builds. If you don’t mind sharing how much did that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    That looks amazing , would you mind sharing the name of the company who did it? I am in Barnet too and am looking for company that supplies and builds. If you don’t mind sharing how much did that cost?
    Yes they are called primrose projects: https://primrose-projects.co/

The price all in was about 25k but could have been done cheaper if I went for MDF interior and a British cedar cladding etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you guys had to get planning permission or are these structures allowed under permitted development?. What are the restrictions to stay within PD please as I’d love one when I move next year

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Have you guys had to get planning permission or are these structures allowed under permitted development?. What are the restrictions to stay within PD please as I’d love one when I move next year
    I believe as long as they are below 32sq meter and 1 meter away from any boundaries they fall under PD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gpattni View Post
    Yes they are called primrose projects: https://primrose-projects.co/

The price all in was about 25k but could have been done cheaper if I went for MDF interior and a British cedar cladding etc.
    Thank you , will contact them.

If I built one of these I think I’d never see the wife again .......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    If I built one of these I think I’d never see the wife again .......

So why are you wasting time posting here? Get out and start digging the foundations

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    So why are you wasting time posting here? Get out and start digging the foundations
    Founds are done - just a small retaining wall to build and backfill but it’s peeing down so not today Zurg